Wake up call required (play 3 debutants)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SB10
Club Player

Wake up call required (play 3 debutants)

Something drastic needs to happen this week to wake us up from this bloody slumber and kick-start our season. Don’t care who gets dropped, it’s time to inject some youth and enthusiasm into the team and blood the kids.

Play three debutants all at once - Ben McEvoy, Jack Steven and Jarryd Allen and tell them to get out there and show us what they’ve got.

Geelong and Hawthorn have some serious depth but do you think that’s stopped them from blooding kids like Cyril Rioli, Harry Taylor, Ryan Gamble, Cameron Stokes, and Trent West. Rioli’s running amok without a care in the world. West and Gamble are throwing their weight around as if they’re seasoned veterans. Just give the kids a go!

Collingwood is another, always trying to blood kids, even on the biggest stage on Anzac Day (Nathan Brown, Ryan Cook, and Danny Stanley). Even though they might not have earnt their spot through the VFL, they’re being thrown into the deep end by Malthouse. Imagine telling a kid his first three games are going to be against Pavlich, Jono Brown and Richo.

How exciting is watching the Kangaroos Lindsay Thomas and Matt Campbell at the moment? We need to start blooding these kids now. Who knows, they might make an impact straight away. It might take half a dozen games this year to give them a taste for the following. However, at the moment it's the same old faces that continue to go in and out of the team.

Maybe it’s just the spark or wake up call that a Raph Clarke needs to show him that he’s not the next in line to get a game in this team. Maybe there’s 4-5 kids ahead of him now and that he’s got to work his backside off to get another chance.

I bet Harvs would be more excited playing alongside these kids (who weren’t even born when he first pulled on a Saints jumper) than some of the same old faces and results we continue to throw up week after week.

Remember the excitement in the terraces when a young kid named Aussie Jones waltzed into the team and took on the world. The same with Joel Smith. I can even remember a young red-headed “ginger megsâ€

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Do not do it. Hawthorn last year. Steven not ready, doesnt do all the training due to school. McEvoy probably not ready but if it is out of Rix and him then maybe. Allen is probably not required as tall forwards are not the issue and if anything may be part of the problem.

SB10
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Do not do it. Hawthorn last year. Steven not ready, doesnt do all the training due to school. McEvoy probably not ready but if it is out of Rix and him then maybe. Allen is probably not required as tall forwards are not the issue and if anything may be part of the problem.
So the kids still at school. So what. The Crows are flying Dangerfield back and forth to Adelaide from outside of Geelong in the hope of giving him a game.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SB10 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Do not do it. Hawthorn last year. Steven not ready, doesnt do all the training due to school. McEvoy probably not ready but if it is out of Rix and him then maybe. Allen is probably not required as tall forwards are not the issue and if anything may be part of the problem.
So the kids still at school. So what. The Crows are flying Dangerfield back and forth to Adelaide from outside of Geelong in the hope of giving him a game.
As you have obviously seen him play the how has he been going?

SB10
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
SB10 wrote:
Very impressive pre season Plugger66, he's not on the injured list, so let's see what the kid can do.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SB10 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
SB10 wrote:
Very impressive pre season Plugger66, he's not on the injured list, so let's see what the kid can do.
But what has he done in proper games not practice games?

How is his Scorps form?

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

Geez you think we are 0-6 :?

Before Im 85
SB10
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
SB10 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
SB10 wrote:

How is his Scorps form?
Don't go to Scorps games. Wouldn't have a clue. Probably still playing at school. As I said, inject some new blood whether they've earnt a spot or not. We know he's got talent. Wasn't out of his depth against Cats in practice match. What have we got to lose?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SB10 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
SB10 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
SB10 wrote:

How is his Scorps form?
Don't go to Scorps games. Wouldn't have a clue. Probably still playing at school. As I said, inject some new blood whether they've earnt a spot or not. We know he's got talent. Wasn't out of his depth against Cats in practice match. What have we got to lose?
Simple. The game which would be the year.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

We did that last year and got rolled by Hawthorn - Armitage, Howard and Sweeney all debuted.

Armitage looks like kicking on, but Sweeney is gone and Howard still looks nothing more than what he looked like 18 months go - a waste of a second round pick when Houli and a few others were still up for grabs. If we wanted Howard, we could have easily waited until later.

I suspect McEvoy is inching towards his debut - which, if Gardiner misses this week, hopefully comes at the expense of Rix.

Allen looks a likely type for mine, but should be held back until it's clear we need him, or his form can't be ignored.

Jack Steven will be renamed Jack Russell in time I'm sure, but for the moment, I'd rather see us try to work games into the legs of Geary, Armitage and Schneider first.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

SB10
Club Player

evertonfc wrote:We did that last year and got rolled by Hawthorn - Armitage, Howard and Sweeney all debuted.

Armitage looks like kicking on, but Sweeney is gone and Howard still looks nothing more than what he looked like 18 months go - a waste of a second round pick when Houli and a few others were still up for grabs. If we wanted Howard, we could have easily waited until later.

I suspect McEvoy is inching towards his debut - which, if Gardiner misses this week, hopefully comes at the expense of Rix.

Allen looks a likely type for mine, but should be held back until it's clear we need him, or his form can't be ignored.

Jack Steven will be renamed Jack Russell in time I'm sure, but for the moment, I'd rather see us try to work games into the legs of Geary, Armitage and Schneider first.
Exactly Everton. Armitage showed something that night, so it was worth the gamble and he's slowly making an impact. We gave Howard and Sweeney a few more games and made a quick call on Sweeney and Howard's heading down the same path. Unless you give em a go you'll never know.

barneyboyz
Club Player

Re: Wake up call required (play 3 debutants)

[quote="SB10"]Something drastic needs to happen this week to wake us up from this bloody slumber and kick-start our season. Don’t care who gets dropped, it’s time to inject some youth and enthusiasm into the team and blood the kids.

Play three debutants all at once - Ben McEvoy, Jack Steven and Jarryd Allen and tell them to get out there and show us what they’ve got.

Geelong and Hawthorn have some serious depth but do you think that’s stopped them from blooding kids like Cyril Rioli, Harry Taylor, Ryan Gamble, Cameron Stokes, and Trent West. Rioli’s running amok without a care in the world. West and Gamble are throwing their weight around as if they’re seasoned veterans. Just give the kids a go!

Collingwood is another, always trying to blood kids, even on the biggest stage on Anzac Day (Nathan Brown, Ryan Cook, and Danny Stanley). Even though they might not have earnt their spot through the VFL, they’re being thrown into the deep end by Malthouse. Imagine telling a kid his first three games are going to be against Pavlich, Jono Brown and Richo.

How exciting is watching the Kangaroos Lindsay Thomas and Matt Campbell at the moment? We need to start blooding these kids now. Who knows, they might make an impact straight away. It might take half a dozen games this year to give them a taste for the following. However, at the moment it's the same old faces that continue to go in and out of the team.

Maybe it’s just the spark or wake up call that a Raph Clarke needs to show him that he’s not the next in line to get a game in this team. Maybe there’s 4-5 kids ahead of him now and that he’s got to work his backside off to get another chance.

I bet Harvs would be more excited playing alongside these kids (who weren’t even born when he first pulled on a Saints jumper) than some of the same old faces and results we continue to throw up week after week.

Remember the excitement in the terraces when a young kid named Aussie Jones waltzed into the team and took on the world. The same with Joel Smith. I can even remember a young red-headed “ginger megsâ€

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

really we are lagging behind the rest . the problem at the moment we have nothing New we are the SAMEOLD saints how many clubs in the comp haven debut thier first draft pick yet ? why do we always have to wait until the following year b4 our draftees get a look in ? play McEvoy he might not be ready but he will survive ..

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
bergsone
SS Life Member

give em a go if they are ready .a spark is what weneed now

QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

evertonfc wrote: Allen looks a likely type for mine, but should be held back until it's clear we need him, or his form can't be ignored.

Yeah i was quite impressed by Allen in the NAB Cup and it seems from a distance as if he has been playing reasonably well for the Scorps. I would much rather see him get a game ahead of Gehrig soon. Until Gehrig learns to put some fwd pressure on the opposition then i think Allen is a better option and is a much more flexible player.

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

Play 3 debutants whose form doesn't warrant selection? Genius.

Why not take out Underbelly* style contracts on 6 senior listed players and elevate the 6 rookies? THAT would send an unprecedented message to the rest of the list. Especially watching Attard wield his crutches against Nathan Brown.

* apologies to Vic readers, Underbelly is a popular TV series that documented alleged criminal activity among a group of Carlton supporters**.

**No, not their president.

bergsone
SS Life Member

cowboy we are already playing players who have no form rix dempster etc .why not give em a go

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

cowboy18 wrote:Play 3 debutants whose form doesn't warrant selection? Genius.

Why not take out Underbelly* style contracts on 6 senior listed players and elevate the 6 rookies? THAT would send an unprecedented message to the rest of the list. Especially watching Attard wield his crutches against Nathan Brown.

* apologies to Vic readers, Underbelly is a popular TV series that documented alleged criminal activity among a group of Carlton supporters**.

**No, not their president.
Got it in one. How much respect would a coach have from his players if he dropped guys who didnt deserve a game but play because they are young. My daughter is young maybe we should play her as well.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: My daughter is young maybe we should play her as well.
How tall is she, Plugger ?

My daughter would surely get reported, but she'd make it a contest!

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:
plugger66 wrote: My daughter is young maybe we should play her as well.
How tall is she, Plugger ?

My daughter would surely get reported, but she'd make it a contest!
She is about 160 so people here would probably play her ahead of Milney.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

The panic and hysterics is really quite funny, if a little sad.

Worst thread of the year.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Shaggy
Club Player

Rather than giving Raph a lesson and promoting the debutants we should instead promote Raph as a reward for being our best player the last 2 weeks for casey (according to SS Casey threads) :shock: :idea: .

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

McEvoy would have to get a go, he couldn't do any worse and actually has an upside, if Gardiner doesn't come up I would be pissed if McEvoy doesn't get a game...
As for Jack Steven, he is my boy for the future but I don't think this is the year for him...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

McEvoy seemed to step up to the plate last week from all regards.

Was pretty much the only St Kilda representative in the 2's.....

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

You cant compare the hawthorn game last year..we only had 23 fit players on our list...Phil Raymond missed out and EVERYONE else played...we HAD to play Armo, Howard and Sweeney..there was no option bar run out with 19 blokes.

McEvoy was named an emergency last week so he's in the mix...and he's the future of the CLub. Michael Rix most certainly is not. 4 possessions and 11 hitouts..thats not a lot to achieve in your first game I dont think...for a Top 10 pick. Do it and he's outperformed Rix from last week. No Lade'Brogan to contend with...just Troy Simmonds and the Pattison kid...yep..lets see what he's got I reckon

Allen? Im tempted. The kids got a lovely raking kick and is mobile. Let Roo roam up the ground, play Kosi deep and let Charlie and Allen rotate off the bench at HF. Its not our forward structure that the prohlem imho, its the fact we take 20 mins to get it in there and when we do we've already sent an SMS to the opposition coach "by the way we are gonna kick it to Roo no matter what'. Oh and some support from the midfield in providing forward pressure would be good..not having them beetle backwards at 100kph as soon as a Richmond defender touches it. God, who knows, you might even cause a turnover and..maybe..GET A GOAL FROM IT!!!!!!!!! ..Theres a blast from the past lol

Steven..nah..let him do school. I agree it would be a game for games sake. His time will come.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor