Hall of Fame Match/State of Origin

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Hall of Fame Match/State of Origin

Don't know about victorians but i've yet to meet anyone else support this weekends 'Vics' vs 'Not Vics' with anything other than cynicism.
Thinking on that - i initially believed there should be two games WA v SA with the winner playing the V. The following year (or every second year) after that the winner should be straight into the next final and the other two play for a place (or they could alternate the qualified place).

Of course it would require 2 weeks off so unlikely to happen. But what if the qualifying match (SA v WA in this example) is between teams representing the state leagues - no afl time off required and the VFL, WAFL, and SANFL players get to represent their state. The winning team gets a rep game at AFL level - only one week break required in all competitions and we get a real representative game - state v state - much more interest, intensity and relevance.

As is stands no one outside of Vic gives a sh!t.

ps-glad only NDS risking injury this weekend - go easy nick!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

I love the idea.

Fantastic for a one-off. Cynics for this match who can't handle a one-off event can go and jump for all I care.

If it's the catalyst for bringing back State of Origin, even better.

My ONLY concern is over St Kilda players. Dal could probably do with a week off, although his form is picking up.

However, I think rep football should be encouraged.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

not sure if it says where we are at or how our injuries are but we have only one player in a squad. I actually think that this is the type of game dal will enjoy. There will be less packs because of the skill of the best players. Plus the coaches are able to just go out and play to win.

Should be a good game

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
vacuous space
SS Life Member

I like the game as a one-off.

I think they should replace the NAB cup with a SoO carnival. Keep NAB challenge for the lesser players. I don't think SoO works as a midseason concept.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Solar
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:I like the game as a one-off.

I think they should replace the NAB cup with a SoO carnival. Keep NAB challenge for the lesser players. I don't think SoO works as a midseason concept.
I would like to see a under 23 style game as the NAB cup, which allows exposure to the young players. Play this a week earlier and then allow the clubs to play 1-2 practice matches between each other or intra club matches, whatever the clubs sort out between themselves.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
bozza1980
Club Player

State of Origin/Hall of Fame Tribute matches are only as strong as the support of the clubs.

If the clubs don't allow their players to play or send out messages to Victorian captains reminding them that their club comes first, it will always be a mickey mouse match.

I'll be going along on Saturday night and will enjoy it, but regardless of the success or otherwise, without the clubs it won't happen again.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

It's a bit of fun, nothing serious, and no one really cares who wins.

As for those interstate not caring - well, stiff, Victoria is the home of the AFL and home of Aussie Rules, so that's the most important thing!!!

Also, with 49 non-St Kilda players playing any injury (bar Dal) is all OK!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Is anyone able to tell me if lenny is out injured or was dropped from the side because if he has been dropped that would be a disgrace.

The Doc
Club Player

Pretty sure he was dropped - haven't heard anything about an injury. Agreed that is a disgrace, he's been just about our best player all year.

2010 has a nice ring to it.
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote

"It's a bit of fun, nothing serious, and no one really cares who wins.

As for those interstate not caring - well, stiff, Victoria is the home of the AFL and home of Aussie Rules, so that's the most important thing!!!"

Well that's the point -no one really cares - wouldn't you prefer a match that has meaning - for players & fans. A bit of rivalry akin to the rugby SoO.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
fonz_#15
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:Is anyone able to tell me if lenny is out injured or was dropped from the side because if he has been dropped that would be a disgrace.
i can only assume he has been dropped, which is a good thing.

we know the value of Lenny, and whilst others fail to identify how great he is it is our gain. It is unfortunate for him if he was really hopeful of playing but from the clubs perspective it is fantastic.

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

I loved watching St Kilda players play for the big V.

Loved watching Harves, Burke, Loewe, Spud and of course, Plugger pull on that guernsey once or twice a season and remind us (when we couldnt crack a win to save ourselves), what footy is all about.

Sure id hate to see them get injured in a rep game, but fair dinkum i loved the loyalty, the passion, the rivalries and the entertainment of teh old State of Origin.

Its the one thing I miss most in so called 'modern footy'.

If its good enough for NRL then its definitely good enough for us.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote:I loved watching St Kilda players play for the big V.

Loved watching Harves, Burke, Loewe, Spud and of course, Plugger pull on that guernsey once or twice a season and remind us (when we couldnt crack a win to save ourselves), what footy is all about.

Sure id hate to see them get injured in a rep game, but fair dinkum i loved the loyalty, the passion, the rivalries and the entertainment of teh old State of Origin.

Its the one thing I miss most in so called 'modern footy'.

If its good enough for NRL then its definitely good enough for us.
They love it for 2 reasons we dont have. One they can get to play for Australia if they perform and 2 they dont have the club passion we have. If there is a choice I will take our way anytime.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Its about as relevant as the annual Legends game.......

Poor old Sheedy is flogging a dead horse trying to talk it up...

The only real publicity at the moment is Browns injury and Leigh's concern about him playing........

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
hilairehinshelwood
Club Player

I won't even bother to watch it on TV. The name Dream Team puts me off, no clue in the name as to who or what geographical area is being represented. Just a marketing sales name.
Anyway all the best players are playing up their injuries to get out of it. with the exception of Jonathan Brown.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Lenny dropped? In that case, Nick should be dropped too, either that or he develops a shoulder problem. Whoops, he's got that already!

Once the AFL was formed, designed to guarantee interstate premierships six out of every seven years, there was no case for interstate games, whatever they are called. Waste of time. Rearranging the fruit bowl.

Buckets
SS Life Member

evertonfc wrote:I love the idea.

Fantastic for a one-off. Cynics for this match who can't handle a one-off event can go and jump for all I care.

If it's the catalyst for bringing back State of Origin, even better.

My ONLY concern is over St Kilda players. Dal could probably do with a week off, although his form is picking up.

However, I think rep football should be encouraged.
Exactly my thinking, i will be watching it and cheering on the Vics i remember that day when EJ did the lap of honour around the MCG most memorable moment i can think of, having the state of origin would be fantastic.
To the OP i think the only thing that stopped it being 4 teams and not 2 is that the logistics would not be appropriate you would really need to have a round robin style set up with the top 2 playing a final? Perhaps the AFL could devise a way that the state comps could run the round robin comp and the top 2 play off and bottom 2 play off with AFL players representing? Too much i think but hey it would be worth a shot!
The thing i am disappointed about is that the great man can't get out there and win another EJ Whitten medal :wink:

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

The problem with SOG for AFL is that there are too many states, If we only had two main states like the NRL a rivalry will eventual occur and it would become a big game each year in which coaches wouldn't try to manipulate and players would kill themselves to play in.

Unfortunately that is just not possible for the AFL as shown over the last couple of weeks people are going for the big V but the "Dream Team" isn't really supported by anyone.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

By the time we get to game day it will no longer be the DREAM TEAM but
the team they've managed to cobble together...........

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

As for my interest in this weeks game, in the words of Sam Newman 'I couldn't be less interested".

Except that no injuries for any St.Kilda player, and 1 week injuries for any representative from Collingwood

Winmarvellous
Club Player

Has pretty much turned into a farce already, ala latter day State games. Everybody puts their hand up at the start of the season, but once the day draws near, those little niggles seem a whole lot bigger. Happens all the time, ever since Malthouse coached the Eagles out of State of Origin contention.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

two points

1 if lenny was dropped it is wrong, he has had a good year

2 those that don't want the game don't get it

it's a celebration, we all love footy and 150 years old, it is the oldest organised football code in the world

we have every reason to celebrate this with watching the best players in the land dsiplay the skills we love and admire

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Ok, my final say on it.....it's "who cares" because it's Victoria vs. Nothings.

Nothings as in not a tangible team/entity.

If it was Vic vs SA, then it would be heaps better, not as a contest, but some passion, as all us Vics hate South Australian's in the footy sense, and want to smash their arses whenever we can!

I'd prefer Vic vs SA and us winning by 10 goals than Vic vs Dreamteam crappola and a 10 point margin!

Anyway, I may still go as I'm an MCC member and can get in for nuffing!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.