Team Vs. Brisbane

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Team Vs. Brisbane

I think the team should look like this against the Lions:

B: Leigh Fisher, Max Hudghton, Sam Fisher
HB: Jason Gram, Jason Blake, Brendon Goddard
C: Adam Schneider, Luke Ball, Leigh Montagna
HF: Robert Harvey, Justin Koschitzke, Charlie Gardiner
F: Stephen Milne, Ben McEvoy, David Armitage
Foll: Steven King, Lenny Hayes, Nick Dal Santo
I/C: Michael Gardiner, Andrew McQualter, Jarryn Geary, Shane Birss

EMG: Clinton Jones, Jarryd Allen, Matthew Ferguson

In: Ben McEvoy, Jarryn Geary, Andrew McQualter
Out: Fraser Gehrig, Sean Dempster, Raphael Clarke

starsign
Club Player

yep not a bad line-up

pehaps Bakes for L Fisher if fit
and Allen for C Gardner for mine

starsign
Club Player

oh and possible Kozi to CHB on Brown
with Allen CHF, he gets on top of Blakey

ben_fff
Club Player

B: L.Fisher - Hudghton - Gram
HB: Geary - Blake - S.Fisher
C:
Goddard - Ball - Montagna
HF:
Ferguson - Riewoldt - Armitage
F:
Milne - Koschitzke - Allen/McEvoy
Followers: Gardiner - Hayes - Dal Santo
Int: King - Birss/Baker - Harvey - Jones/McQualter

The beauty of the seconds playing well is the opportunity for the younger blokes to get a go, I'm still not sold on Jones but I think he deserves his shot, same with Ferguson, Allen/Geary/McEvoy have to play in the next few weeks, they've shown the form and they need the encouragement. Birss did a good job but I'd hope we have as many attacking frame of mind players as possible in the side.

In:Ferguson, Riewoldt, Allen/McEvoy, Jones/McQualter, Geary, Baker
Out: Gehrig, Gardiner, Schneider, Clarke, Dempster, Birss

Gram needs to show something this week... otherwise I'd be giving him a week or two in the seconds until he shows some form.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Very positive on Rooy playing so that will help. If bakes is also back then G and Clarke out and maybe Fisher or Dempster with another in being CJ or Ferg depending on whether they want a running or marking forword.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Hudghton/Blake vs Bradshaw/Brown

This could get ugly.

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

FB: J.Geary - M.Hudghton - B.Goddard
FF: R.Hooper - D.Bradshaw - M.Clark

HB: S.Birss - S.Fisher - S.Baker
HF: T.Johnston - J.Brown - M.Rischitelli

C: J.Gram - L.Hayes - J.Blake
C: T.Notting - S.Black - J.Brennan

HF: L.Montagna - J.Koschitzke - A.Schneider
HB: A.Corrie - D.Merrett - J.Sherman

FF: S.Milne - N.Riewoldt - M.Ferguson
FB: A.McGrath - J.Patfull - J.Roe

R: S.King - N.Dal Santo - L.Ball
R: J.Charman - J.Adcock - L.Power

I/C: R.Harvey - L.Fisher - D.Armitage - M.Gardiner
I/C: J.Drummond - N.Lappin - C.Stiller - M.Leunberger

In: M.Ferguson, N.Riewoldt, S.Baker, J.Geary
Out: S.Dempster, F.Gehrig, C.Gardiner, R.Clarke

In: N.Lappin, M.Leunberger
Out: S.Harding, T.Selwood
Last edited by SaintBot on Sun 18 May 2008 11:39pm, edited 3 times in total.

bergsone
SS Life Member

King ,Gardiner,McEvoy Kosi,in the same side looks top heavy to me.

Moorabbin Saints
Club Player

If Riewoldt doesn't play Big Mac has to. Gehrigs shot and Kosi isn't going too smoothly.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Would love Kosi to line up on Brown or play loose in defense.
At the very least it would show Kosi the amount of work rate, body use and kicking skills a true CHF needs.

Seeya
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

B: L.Fisher - Hudghton - Gram
HB: Geary - Blake - S.Fisher
C:
Goddard - Ball - Montagna
HF:
Ferguson - Riewoldt - Armitage
F:
Milne - Koschitzke - Allen/McEvoy
Followers: Gardiner - Hayes - Dal Santo
Int: King - Birss/Baker - Harvey - Jones/McQualter.[/quote]

i like that a lot. i'd play baker before birss and jones before mcqualter though. and probably allen before mcevoy at this stage as you already have two ruckmen in.

but mcevoy must get a chance next time either king, gardiner or kosi is injured.

ben_fff
Club Player

Alot is being said about Kosi's best position, I still see him as a full forward, at the moment I think it's a confidence thing... despite what people say he does have a fair bit of speed for a man of his size and definetly can impose in marking situations, I felt in the pre season he showed he can endurance run as well so I'm hoping over the next few weeks things start clicking and we finally show what we're capable of.

Hopefully Schneider goes back to the 2's and gets a bit more passion and comes back playing the way he did in the NAB cup.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

ben_fff wrote:Alot is being said about Kosi's best position, I still see him as a full forward, at the moment I think it's a confidence thing... despite what people say he does have a fair bit of speed for a man of his size and definetly can impose in marking situations.
agree. with fraser seemingly finished he should get an extended run there to see if he can cut it.

at the very least he gives us a strong physical presence there and a marking target. but i think he is better than that.

if he can't cut it as a ff there are options like allen or riewoldt.

but i think riewoldt is wasted there to a certain degree as it doesn't allow him to use his immense endurance as well as he might.
Last edited by bigcarl on Sun 18 May 2008 5:29pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
ben_fff wrote:Alot is being said about Kosi's best position, I still see him as a full forward, at the moment I think it's a confidence thing... despite what people say he does have a fair bit of speed for a man of his size and definetly can impose in marking situations.
agree. with fraser seemingly finished he should get an extended run there to see if he can cut it.

at the very least he gives us a strong physical presence there and a marking target. but i think he is better than that.

if he can't there are options like allen or riewoldt.
He played close to goal for a fair bit on Friday and didnt touch it. Was a bit better further up the ground. Do you think he is good mark on a lead as a FF has to be?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:He played close to goal for a fair bit on Friday and didnt touch it. Was a bit better further up the ground.
he seemed to be playing chf, not deep, for most of the night, i thought.

milne appeared to be ff in the final quarter and i thought it costly that we didn't have a real marking target to launch it at.
plugger66 wrote:Do you think he is good mark on a lead as a FF has to be?
it's something that needs work, i agree. but there's only one way to really find out and that's to settle him into the position.
Last edited by bigcarl on Sun 18 May 2008 5:37pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:He played close to goal for a fair bit on Friday and didnt touch it. Was a bit better further up the ground. Do you think he is good mark on a lead as a FF has to be?
he seemed to be playing chf, not deep, for most of the night, i thought. milne appeared to be ff in the final quarter and i thought it costly that we didn't have a real marking target to launch it at.
What about him on a lead. I have hardly ever seen him take a mark on a lead. A prerequisite for a FF.

ben_fff
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

if he can't there are options like allen or riewoldt.
He played close to goal for a fair bit on Friday and didnt touch it. Was a bit better further up the ground. Do you think he is good mark on a lead as a FF has to be?
That's probably my main concern about Kosi at ff, he isn't the best lead mark which is a concern, I'm sure we'll be able to make a more of a call on him come the next break.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:He played close to goal for a fair bit on Friday and didnt touch it. Was a bit better further up the ground. Do you think he is good mark on a lead as a FF has to be?
he seemed to be playing chf, not deep, for most of the night, i thought. milne appeared to be ff in the final quarter and i thought it costly that we didn't have a real marking target to launch it at.
What about him on a lead. I have hardly ever seen him take a mark on a lead. A prerequisite for a FF.
it's something that needs work, i agree. but there's only one way to really find out and that's to settle him into the position.

ben_fff
Club Player

It's funny with our team at the moment, we seemingly have a load of power forwards yet can't find someone to settle into Full Forward, I think our midfield is now settled and we finally have a ruck division with the ability to win the taps yet the only holes I see in our line up are us being one genuine defender short and a lack of a full forward... in regards to the defender I mean someone who actually stays tight with his man, Sam Fisher is more than capable of it but you'd prefer that he plays as a running back, Gram isn't defensive enough and at the moment seems to be getting lost... I think it's something we'll have to play out until years end then assess and try to trade for.

Who knows, Luke Miles could be the missing quantity our side needs, a fast mobile tall backman with good defensive skills and natural insticts to find the football.

sax
Club Player

Why have you all got it in for Dempster?
He didn't have a bad game there were about 12 worse players than him!!
It's not all about stats but here are his from Friday!
13 kicks, 8 HB, 21 P, 7 Ma, 2 Tac, 3 FF, 1 FA

Not too bad I think!!!

This is the team I'd pick for this week!

B: Baker, Hudghton, L. Fisher
HB: Gram, S. Fisher, Goddard
C: Montagna, Hayes, Jones
HF: Harvey, Riewoldt, Schneider
F: Milne, Koschitzke, Allen
1R: M. Gardiner, Dal Santo, Ball
Int: King, Armitage, Blake, Dempster

In: Riewoldt, Baker, Jones, Allen
Out: Gehrig, C. Gardiner, R. Clarke, Birss

sax
Club Player

ben_fff wrote:It's funny with our team at the moment, we seemingly have a load of power forwards yet can't find someone to settle into Full Forward, I think our midfield is now settled and we finally have a ruck division with the ability to win the taps yet the only holes I see in our line up are us being one genuine defender short and a lack of a full forward... in regards to the defender I mean someone who actually stays tight with his man, Sam Fisher is more than capable of it but you'd prefer that he plays as a running back, Gram isn't defensive enough and at the moment seems to be getting lost... I think it's something we'll have to play out until years end then assess and try to trade for.

Who knows, Luke Miles could be the missing quantity our side needs, a fast mobile tall backman with good defensive skills and natural insticts to find the football.

He's still injured and still on the rookie list though!
He was impressive, I'll give you that!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

sax wrote:
ben_fff wrote:It's funny with our team at the moment, we seemingly have a load of power forwards yet can't find someone to settle into Full Forward, I think our midfield is now settled and we finally have a ruck division with the ability to win the taps yet the only holes I see in our line up are us being one genuine defender short and a lack of a full forward... in regards to the defender I mean someone who actually stays tight with his man, Sam Fisher is more than capable of it but you'd prefer that he plays as a running back, Gram isn't defensive enough and at the moment seems to be getting lost... I think it's something we'll have to play out until years end then assess and try to trade for.

It was for the first practice game you know in those practice games we didnt lose. I would discount all form in those games. Looks like the players have.

He's still injured and still on the rookie list though!
He was impressive, I'll give you that!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

As I posted earlier in the year...when Roo is avaiable I would play him at FF (as he can lead...and he can roam which suits the modern game.).....and Kosi as CHF because of all the positins that he can play...this one suits hi best.

Playing Roo at FF also allows the game to be less taxing on him than if he playes further up the ground where he has to run further and for longer - and remeber Roo has tendonitis in one knee. His current injury will also cause a dip in his aerobic fitness.

Back to this week = no Roo

While poor passes to GTrain did not help...what was realy glaring about GTrain's game last week was that he was lost when the ball hit the ground.
There was one passage in particular where he had ample time to gather the ball...but fumbled with Pies winnning it and running it down for a goal = 12 point turnaround = ouch!!!

So GT out.

The options then???

BJ was tried at CHF to start the game and was a fish out of water. as soon as he returned down back he wasa different player (and even scoreda goal).

Charlie is nota key postion forward....flank only. He needs to be the third banana and not B1 or B2.

Allen. Is quite mobile....and knows when to run into space.

McEvoy...is going to be good for us......but he and Kosi together in the one forward line makes for a cumbersome forward line.

For Lions game I would try Allen and Ferg.

With King or Gardi drifting forward on occassion.

In Ferg and Allen
Out GTrain and Raph

B: Leigh Fisher, Max Hudghton, Sam Fisher
HB: Jason Gram, Jason Blake, Brendon Goddard
C: Adam Schneider, Luke Ball, Leigh Montagna
HF: Robert Harvey, Justin Koschitzke, Charlie Gardiner
F: Stephen Milne, Jarryd Allen , Matthew Ferguson
Foll: Steven King, Lenny Hayes, Nick Dal Santo
I/C: Michael Gardiner, David Armitage, Sean Dempster, Shane Birss

Clinton Jones put his hand up again with another strong performance and so RL may be tempted to bring him in for extra run and pace. In which case Charlie or Ferg may miss out.

The young Geary to be stiff...but a chance to come in.

Baker may also be back if fit.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
ben_fff
Club Player

SaintsRrising, how do you see Schneider at the moment, like you I was extremely excited when we picked him up and felt it was playing dividends in the early games but he seems to be struggling at the moment, I honestly think he needs to be dropped down to find some form, you've named him in the side but is that more because you feel we need his run or just don't think he's been playing that bad?

ben_fff
Club Player

sax wrote:Why have you all got it in for Dempster?
He didn't have a bad game there were about 12 worse players than him!!
It's not all about stats but here are his from Friday!
13 kicks, 8 HB, 21 P, 7 Ma, 2 Tac, 3 FF, 1 FA

Not too bad I think!!!
But what impact did his possesions have? I only listened to the radiocast and didn't really notice him, I just feel the last few games I've seen he has made little to no impact and we're at a point where Ross is trying to push that we're attacking, it could all start by playing more attacking players.