St Kilda's greatest player

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saints11
Club Player

St Kilda's greatest player

who has been st kilda's greatest player my vote is ian stewart

LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

Dual brownlow medalist Robert Harvey.

Not old enough to no how Stewart played i've heard he went alright :wink:

Close 2nd Raph Clarke :wink:

100 percent behind the saints 100 percent of the time
saints11
Club Player

LENNY LEADS THE WAY wrote:Dual brownlow medalist Robert Harvey.

Not old enough to no how Stewart played i've heard he went alright :wink:

Close 2nd Raph Clarke :wink:
i really only said stewart because he won 3 brownlow medals i wasn't even born when he was playing

thenumber9

Tony lockett 8-)

markinUSA
SS Life Member

I don't remember Ian Stewart... I did see him play, but I was 4 at the time he finished with the Saints. I remember Ross Smith much more... I don't remember the exact time, whether it was before 1972 (when I was 6... I remember being really young at the time, so it could be this... but he made a comeback in 1975, so it could have been then). I got his autograph a few times, after the games. He was my favourite then).

Trevor Barker was special... growing up I wanted to be No.1 for the Saints. I think putting a player's number on your guersey is a big thing when you go to games. He was the first and only one I ever did that for.

And when he played for the Saints, I thought Plugger walked on water. I actually had a big section of my room devoted to him, and a big photo, framed in a hand-made woollen frame made in St. Kilda colours (thanks Mum!).

I loved Nicky too, and Stewart Loewe and Nathan Burke were very special too.

But ... for longevity and loyalty, marvellous play, a spirit of fairness that's never been matched, and a humility that still amazes me... it's Harves all the way.

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
Huzzad
Club Player

Raph Clarke

www.wikisaints.com - Your Online St Kilda Encyclopedia!

www.truesainters.com - A Friendly Forum Alternative

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Robert Harvey stands ALONE as the saints great player........on games played alone.......If you cut his career in two....

Harvey #1 - 0-183 games
&
Harvey #2 - 184-366 games

both of those players would be in our top 6.......add them up, and they give you the best by a distance....he is FREAK!

with
Lockett - 180 odd games
Stewart
Baldock
Winmar
Barker
R.Smith
Loewe
Burke
Reiwoldt

Lots of other great players.....these are the BEST

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

With my head Tony Lockett
Heart Neil Elvis

supersaints
Club Player

bassoon wrote:Baldock by a mile. Only 5ft 11 (shorter than Harvey), and played at Centre Half Forward. The best ground player in my opinion, but could also take screamers. Captain coached Tasmania at the age of 23. One of the best half dozen players ever.

Stewart next. Think of Dal Santo, but this guy was totally fearless.

Lockett had the most ability of any of them. Never fully exploited his potential, but what we saw was enough to put him in the elite of the elite.

Probably being harsh on Harves, but I rate him at No 4. Not as skillful as the three above him, but the guy has a heart bigger than Phar Lap.

Not so sure after the big four, but from the players I've seen, in no particular order:

Verdun Howell
Cowboy Neale
John McIntosh
Carl Ditterich
Trevor Barker
Nicky Winmar

Only Harvs in our current list makes the top 10 IMO.
Agree with Baldock then Stewart , but I would like to point out that although Balldock was five foot eleven at CHF that he was about the normal height for CHF . In those days ruckmen were only about the six foot mark, big Jack Dyer would not have been much more than 6 ft 1 inch. Players were much smaller on average in those days

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

5. Tony Lockett

4. Ian Stewart

3. Darrell Baldock

2. Robert Harvey

1. Carl Ditterich

!!

mick13
Club Player

Going by who I've seen play, Harves by the great wall of china. Loewe in at second and maybe Winmar at 3rd.

Only saw Lockett at Sydney, so can't say much for him at the Saints.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Lockett......the rest don't compare,which isn't a blight on them,just that Tony was the greatest player of all time,for any club.

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

jonesy wrote:Lockett......the rest don't compare,which isn't a blight on them,just that Tony was the greatest player of all time,for any club.
I agree I closely followed him from start to finish with us and ive never seen a more awesome , unstoppable powerhouse like this guy. Quality full backs would shake their heads in frustration trying everything to stop him repeatedly taking marks that made them look stupid. One out he was almost unbeatable. No player had a presence like him.

markinUSA
SS Life Member

It's interesting... on reflection I realize that I left Roo out. In terms of best and fairest awards, he certainly is in the elite. But... he hasn't inspired me, personally, the way Lockett did. Part of that, I think, is because I could see the others play, but I've been in the US for six years and I've only watched Roo play once. Though he played a great game, it's not the same watching people on TV as opposed to seeing them in person.

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Winmar7Fan wrote:
jonesy wrote:Lockett......the rest don't compare,which isn't a blight on them,just that Tony was the greatest player of all time,for any club.
I agree I closely followed him from start to finish with us and ive never seen a more awesome , unstoppable powerhouse like this guy. Quality full backs would shake their heads in frustration trying everything to stop him repeatedly taking marks that made them look stupid. One out he was almost unbeatable. No player had a presence like him.
I love Lockett
So much so,one day when I return to Melbourne to live,I'm going to have a Lockett party for fellow Tony fans! We'll all bring along Lockett highlights,and drink to the early hours talking about the great man. Quite possibly could be the greatest party ever

sax
Club Player

Robert Harvey

LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

jonesy wrote:
Winmar7Fan wrote:
I love Lockett
So much so,one day when I return to Melbourne to live,I'm going to have a Lockett party for fellow Tony fans! We'll all bring along Lockett highlights,and drink to the early hours talking about the great man. Quite possibly could be the greatest party ever
With special guest apperance tony lockett?

100 percent behind the saints 100 percent of the time
Winmar7Fan
Club Player

jonesy wrote:
Winmar7Fan wrote:
I love Lockett
Yeah we used to keep going behind the goals and change ends every quarter week in week out for years . Hardly missed a match of the Winmar / Lockett show.
Last edited by Winmar7Fan on Wed 21 May 2008 11:30pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Plugger, because he did it week in week out in a dud team. He would have been even better in a better team.

Harvey next, because he just keeps giving and he doesn't know any other way.

Baldock, would have rated him higher if he was around longer.

Stewart, sheer brilliance but jumped ship.

McIntosh, cruelly cut down in his prime.

Ditterich, because I was with East Brighton when he was there and he even frightened the s*** out of his teammates.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

LENNY LEADS THE WAY wrote:
jonesy wrote:
Winmar7Fan wrote:
I love Lockett
With special guest apperance tony lockett?
I doubt the great man would ever come :wink: . And thats the way it should be,he's not human,so he shouldn't be in the room with us mere mortals. He's more like a legend,something that once exsisted,but you wouldn't know it now,it's just the stories that get passed on through the ages.

I remember when I was 11 it was organised for me to meet him after training in round 6 1991. Dad raced me out from the Moorabbin squash courts and low and behold in the fading darkness the messiah was sitting on his car waiting for me. He stood up and put his hand forward to shake mine and said "G'day Benny,how are ya mate?". I went to reply but nothing came out??? I was literally awestruck.

The day he ran out against us and I had to boo him was almost the worst day of my life. I'm sorry Tony...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Plugger by the a mile then Harvey, Leowe, Winmar and Burke.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Seriously - Baldock was great......but did he, in 113 games, have the same impact as Robert Harvey over 21 years........and 366 games....FFS Harvey has about 50 odd BOG's

two things
Baldock was a 5'11" CHF in an era, when Ruckman were 6'1" to 6'3"......Verdun Howell was a 5'11" Full Back......cannot compare era sizes....John Nicholls (185) was shorter than Lenny Hayes (186)...

Robert Harvey - not skilled :roll: .....kidding right :lol: .....he has the cleanes hands of almost any player ever......carrries the footy, and rarely misses a target.......possibly the best kick to a fwd I have seen...

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

[quote.......possibly the best kick to a fwd I have seen...[/quote]

Sorry I maybe getting a bit emotionally defensive here but Winmar could hit Lockett anywhere up to 50 metres away off BOTH feet......

Red
Club Player

Baldock has to be regarded as the best. Best player in a premiership

season. Worth more than anything else. Something Harvs as great as he is

could not help us get over the line.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

lockett's the best player i've seen (from any club), so i'd have to say him.

after that it gets hard.

stewart must have been fantastic. dad still raves about him.

baldock reportedly was some sort of a magician.

and you have to factor in No. 35 ... one of the all-time greats.

that's without mentioning winmar and barker (an under-rated champion).