changes for this week

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Solar
Saintsational Legend

changes for this week

This post is what I would do if I WAS COACH. It's not what I expect to happen and I expect the likes of plugger66 to come in and accuse me of not seeing enough of them playing, how some like allen have not played well for over a month yadda yadda.... anyway the point being is for a good month or more we have been killed in the contested ball situation, including hard ball gets, tackling and 1 percenters.

So my words on the whiteboard all week would be

HARD AT THE BALL AND MAN
SUPPORT EACH OTHER
RUN IN NUMBERS

The KPI focus or aim for this up coming match, which will then be used as a pass mark for the rest of the season will be

KPI per quarter
20 + tackles
75% hardball gets
10 + one percenters

I would have these in bold on the whiteboard during the week, before the match and during the breaks. Players not working towards these markers will be dropped. Decision making will revolve around these KPI. I back the selected side to pass these KPI, we as a coaching group believe in you.

So the changes we have made are

In: Armo, fergusson, Allen, mini, howard and eddy

Out: Fiora, gram, blake, schneider, dempster and roo (injury)

Which makes the named line up as

FB Fish Max geary
HB howard chips BJ
C Joey Hayes jones
HF dal Allen fergusson
FF milne Kosi birss
R Gardiner Harvey Ball
I armo mini king eddy

First up, roo doesn't play until he can present hard on the lead and take marks his arms higher then his chest. Currently his body is not allowing him to do this. Thus Allen takes his spot at CHF and needs to work will the older ferguson. I expect both of you to be on the move, leading towards the midfielder is paramount. Contests and leading will be your KPI's for the match.

Birss will continue his good work as a hard running defensive half forward. Birssy you need to kick those goals when you have chances but I expect nothing less then the gut running you did against the lions. Schneider is dropped, gets a good rocket up his arse and told to gut run and tackle in the seconds. Till then he can't expect to get a game for us. In his place we will develop dal as a running clever half forward. Dal job is to attack the spilling ball from contests, create space and demand the football. I am looking at a return of 2-4 goals a game, you know you can. This will make a big difference to the team.

The backline is getting a fresh look to it. Gram is banished to the seconds, with the same riot acted read to schneider. Needs to get back to tackling and attacking the football. What we want to see is some tackling, sheparding and attack in the seconds. Howard comes in for his second game. Has pace and good skills. He and geary will be given specific roles on running with their small forwards. This is all about concentration, looking to create tackles and helping each other. If you see the ball going to a one out situation come over and look to spoil. But make sure its a decisive punch, the focus will be commiting to the contest and clearing the ball. Fish and BJ are sent down back to add leadership to his group. BJ, you know that certain contests last week were soft from you, I was pleased that you improved on this by attacking the spoil and helping out the other defenders. This is the standard you have to set yourself. Focus that anger on creating good outcomes.

Now we come to the midfield. This is where our main focus will be. Bally, hayes and harvs, you have been brilliant. The group needs to be shown their efforts in the past month. This is the standard, see the gut running, thats real courage. Knowing that even when it hurts you need to go again.

Our midfield needs to start to work as a group. Your a pack, support and run with each other. We all know what ball, hayes, harvey and joey can do in the trenchs, but we demand the rest of this midfield to gut run in numbers with them. Armo, jones, mini and eddy will all be given extended time in the middle. You need to attack the body and the ball. Jones, you, armo and mini have lead the scorpions so well. This has been through running in numbers, where if someone slips, makes a mistake or loses the ball there are numbers around them to help. Create space for each other, run beside each other, trust each other. We are backing you to attack and attack till the siren goes.

We will back you for the next three games, we believe in this group. Alot of you have been tearing it up for our seconds and demanding a shot at the big time. Well the time has come. Those dropped, you need to do what these youngsters have been doing. Go back to the seconds and work your backsides off. Show us you are willing to attack the ball and man, shepard and work for each other. Only then will you get a spot back.

Yes this is a young and inexperienced team. But it's an attacking, hard at the body, fierce and hungry team. This season is far from over and it starts this sunday. Remember the motto RUN IN NUMBERS

Go get them!

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
S.A Saint
Club Player

solar for coach, great post. However there are few players i wouldn't play out of that group. Howard not sure how his form is in the vlf maybe swap him for stevens and also i would drop king for big mac. it really s***s me off when on this forum say that dont throw him into the deep end he will get kiled, smashed, broken in half. FFS the bloke is 202 cm and almost 100 kilos im sure that he will not get murdered, besides he doesnt have to ruck the whole game put him in the forward line. Another think he has been playing well in vfl and those blokes arnt that much smaller the players in afl, so just give him a go nothing to lose everything to gain.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

S.A Saint wrote:solar for coach, great post. However there are few players i wouldn't play out of that group. Howard not sure how his form is in the vlf maybe swap him for stevens and also i would drop king for big mac. it really s***s me off when on this forum say that dont throw him into the deep end he will get kiled, smashed, broken in half. FFS the bloke is 202 cm and almost 100 kilos im sure that he will not get murdered, besides he doesnt have to ruck the whole game put him in the forward line. Another think he has been playing well in vfl and those blokes arnt that much smaller the players in afl, so just give him a go nothing to lose everything to gain.
whoops I knew I forgot someone else to read the riot act to. King is on his last chance, only gets a game to add some leaderhsip and experience to a youngish midfield group.

On howard, he has been good without being outstanding as a running HB. Could be slowly introduced to AFL level through a run with role which gram was being given (and failing at). Stevens in slightly different, will be a goal kicking midfielder. Clever and classy youngster but unless alot of players fall down with injury I can't see him playing this year.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
S.A Saint
Club Player

Cant wait to see the changes vs dees game. I want at least three players from this group to play this week (Armo, fergusson, Allen, mini, howard, Big MAc and eddy).

time to mix things about a bit, none of this boring tactics that we have seen for the past 8 weeks dropping the same player every week and bringing the same one back doesn't solve anything. Go with something young and new guys you never no, they might be passionate and enthusiastic about the game (i would be giving it my all if i got selected and i think they would to).

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

This is what I expect may happen.

In: Baker, Armitage
Out: Fiora, Dempster/Blake

Personally I'd like to see Ferguson added as an in.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Thursday night
ins baker,ferg, armo, mcevoy, mini

outs fiora, fisher

final ins baker,ferg, armo

final other out blake

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

B: Steven Baker, Max Hudghton, Leigh Fisher
HB: Jarryn Geary, Sam Fisher, Brendon Goddard
C: Leigh Montagna, David Armitage, James Gwilt
HF: Adam Schneider, Nick Riewoldt, Robert Harvey
F: Nick Dal Santo, Justin Koschitzke, Stephen Milne

Foll: Michael Gardiner, Lenny Hayes, Luke Ball
I/C: Steven King, Shane Birss, Clint Jones, Sean Dempster

Emg: Jason Gram, Andrew McQualter, Ben McEvoy

In: Armitage, Baker, Gwilt
Out: Fiora, Blake, Gram

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

katich out
lightpole in

:lol:

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
matrix
Saintsational Legend

i honestly dont think there will be drastic changes like everyone is calling for.
cant see gram getting dropped.
i reckon armo might come in, and MAYBE bakes, but other than that, we aint going to see 4 or 5 names dropped IMO.

not saying i agree, just what i reckon will occcur.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Looks like opposition coaches have worked out Gram running off the backline and now negate that, so Gram should be played in the attacking half from now on as he has good goal-kicking sense and ball carrying abilities.
Snheider needs a run in the Scorps where he needs to string a couple of good games together before coming back to the seniors. I would bring Gwilt into the forward line and Armo definately back in place of Fiora. Maybe give Ferg a run on the HBF in place of Blake, and bring in McEvoy in place of Milne who is doing three fifths of stuff all.
Put pressure on the lazy senior players.

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Yeah I can see what your trying to say and your right about Fiora, Blake and Dempster I think playing at their best they are just good enough and that will only be when the whole team is playing well but I must say I’m surprised how many people have gone off Gram . I think he’s a genuine good player and those poor backs have been under siege lately .

I’d give him a change in fiora’s spot and maybe he might be able to run and carry and bomb a few goals from around the 50.

bergsone
SS Life Member

After RL comments about being soft whoever is dropped will be labelled as the soft ones,does RL say same side ,prove your not soft or show the world who the soft ones are.With his comments dont be surprised if there are no changes .IMO Armo,Baker if fit should be certain inclusions,the ones dropped will have to live with the stigma of being labelled soft ,and you would expect never to play again

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

spert wrote:Looks like opposition coaches have worked out Gram running off the backline and now negate that, so Gram should be played in the attacking half from now on as he has good goal-kicking sense and ball carrying abilities.
Snheider needs a run in the Scorps where he needs to string a couple of good games together before coming back to the seniors. I would bring Gwilt into the forward line and Armo definately back in place of Fiora. Maybe give Ferg a run on the HBF in place of Blake, and bring in McEvoy in place of Milne who is doing three fifths of stuff all.
Put pressure on the lazy senior players.
Just read your post and noticed we feel the same about Gram . Maybe we're onto something.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:i honestly dont think there will be drastic changes like everyone is calling for.
cant see gram getting dropped.
i reckon armo might come in, and MAYBE bakes, but other than that, we aint going to see 4 or 5 names dropped IMO.

not saying i agree, just what i reckon will occcur.
I reckon the same. The coach wouldn't challenge his playing group, then drop half of them...that doesn't make sense to me. I suspect RL's challenging the team's ability to change, adapt and work at the game plan, otherwise go find another team who'll pay for you to run around an oval looking sporty. Ross has thrown down the gauntlet to the current senior list, I can't imagine he'll then discard them for half a team of rookies.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

L.Fisher Hudghton S.Fisher
Geary Blake Goddard
Gram Hayes Montagna
Dal Santo Riewoldt Jones
Milne Koschitzke Ferguson

Rucks: Gardiner Ball Baker

Inter: Armitage Harvey Birss King

Out: Schneider Dempster Fiora

In: Ferguson Baker Armitage

Don't like the idea of dropping Blake, as he showed against Collingwood that he can competently play CHB. Jones stays in because of his speed and defensive pressure. Birss has earned his place in the team and should be given a chance to continue.

Schneider's recent form has been abysmal and Fiora has surely played his last game of AFL footy. Dempster is an indecisive plodder in my view, and Geary has the ability to run and link up far more creatively, even though he is undersized in comparison. Ferguson gives us a third guy in the forward fifty who can take a contested mark, which we sadly lacked last week.

starsign
Club Player

L.Fisher Hudghton S.Fisher
Geary Blake Goddard
Gram Hayes Montagna
Dal Santo Riewoldt Jones
Milne Koschitzke Ferguson

Rucks: Gardiner Ball Baker

Inter: Armitage Harvey Birss King

Out: Schneider Dempster Fiora

In: Ferguson Baker Armitage

Would be very surprized if RL dropped his 2 ex Swans and by inference declaring them (along with Fiora) as the "soft ones"

would't mind in the least if he did , but think of the repercussions , the media would have a picnic LOL!

Gilbert=Legend

I don't agree with your team what so ever.

Sure, bring in some new guys, but not 4-5 players who havn't played 10 games yet. It would though out the balance of the team

My team for this week.

Out: Biress, Dempstar, blake, geary

In: Armintage, Macevoy, Allen, Baker

bergsone
SS Life Member

Gilbert=Legend wrote:I don't agree with your team what so ever.

Sure, bring in some new guys, but not 4-5 players who havn't played 10 games yet. It would though out the balance of the team

My team for this week.

Out: Biress, Dempstar, blake, geary

In: Armintage, Macevoy, Allen, Baker
Keep Fiora ?

Gilbert=Legend

For the moment, at least he is not weak like biress

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Gilbert=Legend wrote:For the moment, at least he is not weak like biress
We dont have a biress but birss was pretty good for us on Sunday and will play this week. Fiora will not

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

Gilbert=Legend wrote:Armintage, Macevoy, Allen, Baker
Is English your second language? :shock:

degruch
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Gilbert=Legend wrote:For the moment, at least he is not weak like biress
We dont have a biress but birss was pretty good for us on Sunday and will play this week. Fiora will not
I hope you're right, on both fronts! What was 'weak' about Birss' performance on Sunday?

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

St DAC wrote:
Gilbert=Legend wrote:Armintage, Macevoy, Allen, Baker
Is English your second language? :shock:
is obvious the kid just got home from school all excited at the thought that the internet bill backdating months had been paid off through welfare payments

whoever gilbert=legend is cannot spell and is offering nothing

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Dempster kept Travis Johnston to 4 touches till half time surely he cant be blamed. :roll:

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

blake and l fisher seem obvious

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.