Would we consider Jonathon Brown + a 5 year contract ?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

howlinwolf
Club Player

Would we consider Jonathon Brown + a 5 year contract ?

Sorry if this has been posted before.

With the current stalemate in negotiations between JB and Brisbane it had me thinking "what if" ?
I realise the risks of a 5 year deal can lead to a problem for a club if that player gets seriously injured. It could put salary cap pressure on us as well. Apparently we have been under that already. (I'd say most clubs are)
But considering there may be a fair cleanout at season's end maybe we could fit him in ?
We have a vague link with Warrnambool too through Cowboy Neale and Matt Maguire.
Do you think he would add to our list ?
Maybe Roo on the wing. Kosi Ruck Rover,FF or even CHB ? With JB at CHF.
He carries a fearsome presence which we lack a little.
Thoughts anyone ?

Lennon
Club Player

There IS no stalemate between Brisbane and JB.

Brown will be a Lion the rest of his career.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

caroline wilson is muckraking :roll:

as for 5 years, :roll:

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
jill
Club Player

No! - he's the same age Hammil was when GT gave him a 5 year deal. Ii's too risky for a player at that age.

JeffDunne

If we were going to give up what it would take to get Brown here then I'd prefer we went after a gun midfielder or ruckman.

In fact I couldn't think of anything more stupid than us putting so much into securing a key forward when we have so many needs elsewhere.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Just assuming you are correct (for the sake of the argument)
and JB leaves Brisbane
and says he wants to come to us
and we work out a swap with Brisbane

How do we fit him in our salary cap?

He is a $million dollar per year player now - not in 5 years time.

There is no way our salary cap could cater for another $million player at the moment.
To make room we would have to either

Clear out a couple of half million dollar players - NDS, Hayes, Ball

or

get rid of one of the above and put JB on a 'back-ended' contract taking into account that Roo, Hayes and who knows who else will come onto our Veterans List in 3-4 years time (freeing up some salary cap pressure).

The downside to option 2 is it seriously impinges our ability to have 'Rookies'.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:If we were going to give up what it would take to get Brown here then I'd prefer we went after a gun midfielder or ruckman.

In fact I couldn't think of anything more stupid than us putting so much into securing a key forward when we have so many needs elsewhere.
Bingo Jeff! I agree.

We can't kick to the key forwards we already have, so what's the use of the club redrawing on the mortgage to get an overpriced recruit. At this stage of his career, JB will only represent declining value, as he's probably peaked already.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

he aint going anywhere.
well the hell do people get this stuff from?
he will be a one club player

degruch
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:he aint going anywhere.
well the hell do people get this stuff from?
he will be a one club player
I don't think it was proposed as anything more than a theoretical exercise...of course it's crap.

But it does illustrate a couple points...even the best recruiting can go wrong (GT? I thought it was Blight who got him on board), 5 year contracts are bollocks, we don't need a big key forward we need more run.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

brisbane would pay near on anything to keep him there as the future of their club.
cant believe they havent just given him what he wanted...cant see him making any outlandish wants either.
he seems like a loyal club fella and would prob do what our guys did and take less money to keep the playing group tight and together.
if brisbane dont give him 5 years then they have no idea

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Brisbane would want Riewoldt at the very least.

Would you give up Roo for Brown?

JB wont be leaving Brisbane, guaranteed.

aussiejones
Club Player

This post is waste of space

markinUSA
SS Life Member

I wondered if his manager had just fed this story into the press to increase the pressure on Brisbane to give him what he wants. You know, kinda... 'there are other clubs who would give him this, Brisbane should too".

But I do think he'll stay at Brisbane.

Also, he would not be my choice for the Saints. Particularly with a 5 year deal... we have been burnt by the Hamill 5 year deal and won't do that again.

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
Winmar7Fan
Club Player

degruch wrote:
JeffDunne wrote:If we were going to give up what it would take to get Brown here then I'd prefer we went after a gun midfielder or ruckman.

Bingo Jeff! I agree.

We can't kick to the key forwards we already have, so what's the use of the club redrawing on the mortgage to get an overpriced recruit. At this stage of his career, JB will only represent declining value, as he's probably peaked already.

Not that this means anything because its purely a fantasy post anyway but im curious to see the different way that we all see things so let me get this right you think we dont have a weakness up forward but a weakness in our midfield to change ?

I see it the other way around i think our backs and midfield are suffering from lack of form up forward there have been many marks that should have been taken and easy set shots for goal missed which had nothing to do with poor midfield delivery.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Winmar7Fan wrote:
degruch wrote:

Bingo Jeff! I agree.

Not that this means anything because its purely a fantasy post anyway but im curious to see the different way that we all see things so let me get this right you think we dont have a weakness up forward but a weakness in our midfield to change ?

I see it the other way around i think our backs and midfield are suffering from lack of form up forward there have been many marks that should have been taken and easy set shots for goal missed which had nothing to do with poor midfield delivery.
Yep, poor delivery and no forward 50 pressure. Of course, our faorward's poor disposal is well documented on this forum...but wouldn't be as big a problem if they had more chances to kick it. On the other hand, our current midfielders don't assist in applyind forward pressure, the ball goes over their heads in 5 seconds flat and by the time our lazy backs have worken up to the rebound, they other team has kicked a goal.

Our forwards need good delivery and kicking practice. Our backline needs to work harder and be more decisive in their delivery, and our midfield needs to follow up after their delivery. The midfield is coming good though, at least they've been getting their hands on it since the Geelong game.

There, now I've fixed all the teams problems, do I get the job GW?

HarveysDeciple

Don't think Brown will go anywhere, don't think Riewoldt will, and I doubt Kerr will either.

Irrelevant stories these ones.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

NO !!

Is that emphatic enough? !!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Would we consider Jonathon Brown + a 5 year contract ?

in answer to the op, of course we would.

i'm sure anyone would consider signing one of the best players in the game if they could afford him.

the question is, would he consider us?

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

degruch wrote:
Winmar7Fan wrote:
degruch wrote:

Bingo Jeff! I agree.

Yep, poor delivery and no forward 50 pressure. Of course, our faorward's poor disposal is well documented on this forum...but wouldn't be as big a problem if they had more chances to kick it. On the other hand, our current midfielders don't assist in applyind forward pressure, the ball goes over their heads in 5 seconds flat and by the time our lazy backs have worken up to the rebound, they other team has kicked a goal.

Our forwards need good delivery and kicking practice. Our backline needs to work harder and be more decisive in their delivery, and our midfield needs to follow up after their delivery. The midfield is coming good though, at least they've been getting their hands on it since the Geelong game.

Yeh i still see it different i think recently games have been lost in the first quarter which our efforts have been good everywhere (even in the Geelong match)but up forward. But not making the most of opportunities missing easy shots and the opposition making the most of theirs and hurting us on the scoreboard has us deflated and nicked us in the head from the second quarter on.

Regardless of the midfields lack of support up forward (which i agree doesnt help) i believe they're contributing more during the game than our forwards and it aint from a lack of the ball going up there and our backs are so heavily under pressure and attack i can understand them being punch drunk by three quarter time.

Unfortunately we are mentally weak at the moment and so much of our result depends on our start ,we need to be leading or around even at quarter time to continue on into the second quarter.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Winmar7Fan wrote:
degruch wrote:
Winmar7Fan wrote:
degruch wrote:

Bingo Jeff! I agree.

Yeh i still see it different i think recently games have been lost in the first quarter which our efforts have been good everywhere (even in the Geelong match)but up forward. But not making the most of opportunities missing easy shots and the opposition making the most of theirs and hurting us on the scoreboard has us deflated and nicked us in the head from the second quarter on.

Regardless of the midfields lack of support up forward (which i agree doesnt help) i believe they're contributing more during the game than our forwards and it aint from a lack of the ball going up there and our backs are so heavily under pressure and attack i can understand them being punch drunk by three quarter time.

Unfortunately we are mentally weak at the moment and so much of our result depends on our start ,we need to be leading or around even at quarter time to continue on into the second quarter.
Lets face it, the team have such a lame 'fits and spurts' start to the year, its tough to tell which part of their game needs the most improvement! But I reckon we'd spend the clubs lunch money for the next 10 years on Browny, only to have guys spearing it at his toes or over his head.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

first Kerr now brown seriously guys you gotta stop listening to Hutchy and Caro they simpily make crap up and then push out the "my sources tell me " ill tell you who their sources are .......

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
saintbob
SS Life Member

Straight swap for Rooey, before he takes off to the GC

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

how about fev?

he is out of contract went for us as a kid why not. and benno

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

No.

Stop looking to other clubs to solve our problems.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

ralphysaints35 wrote:how about fev?

he is out of contract went for us as a kid why not. and benno
Fev i would realistically look at but i feel he may price himself out of our market (plus he gets those nice little Visy boxes filled with cash not like the lame brown paper bags the old blues used to get )

Benno ? i assume you men ben cousins ? hes still a mile off playing amature footy so come draft day 2009 i dont think he will be a realistic chance for AFL .... and why would he at the moment he can go on surfing holiday when ever he wants , associate with who ever he wants , drink as much as he wants do what ever he want screw who ever he wants ..... i doubt life has ever been better for poor old benny :roll:

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/