LYON is the dumbest and least inspiring coach in AFL….

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

LYON is the dumbest and least inspiring coach in AFL….

He has the least effective game plan – which requires far too much effort for reward and is far too easily countered by the opposition. His poor game plan was highlighted more tonight with the wet weather football because the teams skills could not cope with the pressure and flood the opposition applied.

He and his selection committee continually make disastrous team selections and game day match ups…

Tonight we got slaughtered out of the centre and in the break downs and not once did we change our set up to suit. 90% of balls went behind the Collingwood ruckmen where there mids roved to all night.

SWAN killed us for 3 quarters yet LYON left McQualter on him the whole time even with the damage he caused. What was wrong with moving Dempster or another option to him?

THOMAS well the kid is wafer thin and an easy target for some attention but No we let him run riot in the last by playing FIORA on him. I still can’t believe FIORA is still playing AFL football he has the heart the size of a ‘split pea’!

Q. Why do you as a coach wait to the last 20 minutes of the game to make positional changes to get you back in the game?

Q. Why not try to dictate the play from the outset?

Q. Why do you also wait for the breaks to make any other substantial moves - usually they are 20 minutes too late?

LYON has been quoted as suggesting that St Kilda’s list was over rated when he arrived. I would suggest that it is LYON’s match day coaching abilities that have been seriously over rated – not our playing list.

At least THOMAS had our blokes playing a with self belief and a game style they believed in and enjoyed!

The LYON experiment must end at seasons end!
Last edited by WinnersOnly on Sat 09 Aug 2008 11:48pm, edited 1 time in total.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Not sure about the overall point re lyon, but cant argue with any of the tactical stuff, very poor and second rate effort from the box tonight.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

I hope he sacks our entire list after tonight.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

I started to get excited in the last 10 minutes of the game...then the Pies scored again :( Collingwoods mistakes made us look soooo much better. Tonight was lack-lustre and...............I think I'm going to change my signature. Our cattle looked ready for the slaughterhouse.

Can I say that I thought Harvey was as god as ever! I'm glad I went, if only for the great man!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:I hope he sacks our entire list after tonight.
the buck stops with him - he coaches the list, gives them his orders, and chooses who plays!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
kaos theory
Club Player

Over the last 5 or 6 weeks, when have come into the start of games 'flat', and when the games looks like its slipping, we lift and come home hard. But as we see, you can't keep doing that and win all the time.

Why are we not mentally 'switch on' when the game starts? One of GT's strengths was his ability to get the players mentally fired up for games. GT had other weaknesses (some major ones), but the mental bit he seemed to have worked out.

RL seems to struggle to inspire the players mentally. Is he too much of a tactican, and not enough of a man-manager? Is he the extreme opposite of GT, when what we might have needed is someone in-between?

But, then again, look at cats' coach thompson, I would say he is the inspiring type either....

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Why aren't we switched on at the start of a game?

Ever heard Ross speak?

Nee!
degruch
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:
the buck stops with him - he coaches the list, gives them his orders, and chooses who plays!
Well, when he dragged them in at half time and obviously instructed them to play on and be creative, who did? Bugger all, that's who. They're a lazy team who believe in thier own hype far too much.

I've stuck by this team through the 70's, 80's, 90's and the last 10 years, but tonight was disgusting for so many reasons, I'm angry as hell, and it's the players we need to get stuck into. At least we lost the '97 GF to a better team!

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
desertsaint wrote:
Well, when he dragged them in at half time and obviously instructed them to play on and be creative, who did? Bugger all, that's who. They're a lazy team who believe in thier own hype far too much.

I've stuck by this team through the 70's, 80's, 90's and the last 10 years, but tonight was disgusting for so many reasons, I'm angry as hell, and it's the players we need to get stuck into. At least we lost the '97 GF to a better team!
how do u know what that he instructs them to play on and be creative?

after watching him coach for nearly 2 years, i think thats far from what his gameplan is

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
kaos theory
Club Player

Why aren't we switched on at the start of a game?

Ever heard Ross speak?
I can't say that the cat's coach sounds inspirational either when i hear him talk, but obviously, they have got it working well down there...

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Yep, sack Lyon... bring back GT :roll:

Get over it. Why can some players perform week after week, regardless of coach and opposition?

We quickly forget some of the spankings we got in 05 and 06 under the vampire.

Players are not up to it. We started going backwards in 2006.

Instead of blooding players, we kept playing Frankie, Thommo and others. Hoping to pinch a flag.

I'll defend my team always... but maybe we just aren't good enough.

Pies were fired up, and they rallied.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:
degruch wrote:
desertsaint wrote:

It was pretty bloody obvious...that's how.

how do u know what that he instructs them to play on and be creative?

after watching him coach for nearly 2 years, i think thats far from what his gameplan is

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:Yep, sack Lyon... bring back GT :roll:

Get over it. Why can some players perform week after week, regardless of coach and opposition?

We quickly forget some of the spankings we got in 05 and 06 under the vampire.

Players are not up to it. We started going backwards in 2006.

Instead of blooding players, we kept playing Frankie, Thommo and others. Hoping to pinch a flag.

I'll defend my team always... but maybe we just aren't good enough.

Pies were fired up, and they rallied.
14 wins both years with many more injuries. Not sure we should mention Gt to RL just yet.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Who appointed you judge and jury? No ones comparing, dipshyt. The OP raised it.

Ok, then give Lyon 5 years before judging him. IIRC, GT did SFA in 01, 02, and most of 03.

How many years was that Einstein?

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Different farking list, also :roll:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:Who appointed you judge and jury? No ones comparing, dipshyt. The OP raised it.

Ok, then give Lyon 5 years before judging him. IIRC, GT did SFA in 01, 02, and most of 03.

I thought you didnt mind my posts. You have changed quickly. I am hurt by that.

choowy
Club Player

Ross, Outcoached Again. Why?

1. Gwilt getting the ball in the midfield and banging it long, where do you put him, forward pocket.(robbing Peter to pay Paul).

2. Ruckman- who was our ruckman around the ground. lenny Hayes. At least under past coaches we hackland etc.

3. Too many interchanges. too many bludgers, too many passengers, players in wrong positions.

Stop coaching for the opposition start coaching for yourself, with the cattle we possess.

Don't tell me we do not have the cattle, i would understand if we where playing one of the top 3.

Winning is not about my post, it is embarrasing our jumpper the style of footy we are attempting and I reiterate ATTEMPTING to play.

Pull your finger out Ross, and that of your indians and lets not stuff up Harvey's last year.
________
MARIJUANA SEEDS
Last edited by choowy on Tue 15 Feb 2011 2:21am, edited 1 time in total.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
WayneJudson42 wrote:Who appointed you judge and jury? No ones comparing, dipshyt. The OP raised it.

I thought you didnt mind my posts. You have changed quickly. I am hurt by that.
Yeah, I feel like I just slapped my missus. :lol:

Am dirty about tonight. Your post about alack of improvement was more on the mark. Just hate this "it's all the coaches fault" when we lose.

Players are not up to it. Dal has to do some soul searching if he's not happy. If u think ure bigger then the club, then F*** him off.

Kosi has been the biggest non-event. Either teach him to be a ruckman, or trade him. We need a full forward. And another mid. And you'll only get that from trading.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

choowy wrote:Ross, Outcoached Again. Why?

1. Gwilt getting the ball in the midfield and banging it long, where do you put him, forward pocket.(robbing Peter to pay Paul).

2. Ruckman- who was our ruckman around the ground. lenny Hayes. At least under past coaches we hackland etc.

3. Too many interchanges. too many bludgers, too many passengers, players in wrong positions.

Stop coaching for the opposition start coaching for yourself, with the cattle we possess.

Don't tell me we do not have the cattle, i would understand if we where playing one of the top 3.

Winning is not about my post, it is embarrasing our jumpper the style of footy we are attempting and I reiterate ATTEMPTING to play.

Pull your finger out Ross, and that of your indians and lets not stuff up Harvey's last year.
I'd say the interchanges were due to the 6 day break.

Most of our players would have been positioned well, if they'd tried to play them. How many times did you see players peel off Davis??? The guy just said 'thanks a lot' and banged away at the goals. Lazy players.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

How many times have i heard some fans declare we were going backwards in 2006 - it's a very simplistic statement based on no real investigation of the year as it unfolded.

Shocking injuries
11 six day breaks
7 interstate games
afl rule change costs us 2 points
we missed top 4 by %
then to top it off - away to brisbane rnd 22 and 6 days later playing a final where we lost our whole bench to injury and still led at 3/4 time.

The boys played with great strength and pride in 2006 - then the team were shattered by GT sacking and i don't think many of them have been the same (playing wise) since!

No GT v RL debate needed - it's irrelevant - but don't warp history to support a point.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Grrrrr
Club Player

While Lyon takes the fair share of the pie with his coaching performance let's not forget to point out who his assistants are, mainly Rock and Barker...Very poor choice as assistants, especially Barker. What was the logic in appointing a this guy!? Was hopeless as a player and is proving how hopeless he is as an assistant.

choowy
Club Player

Do not call them assistants. They are simply " MUPPETS".
________
Baha'I Faith Forum
Last edited by choowy on Tue 15 Feb 2011 2:22am, edited 1 time in total.

saintly_safes
Club Player

Well all I can say is we may as well be attacking & show a bit of flair in the next 3 games even if we lose coz its got to be a better alternative to playing how we are & still losing.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

First 2 goals the Pies got were started with goal assists (errors) from Gram.

The first was a lovely handball in the midfield toa Pie running at full pace who just continied on to set up a goal.

Once again for the THIRD week ina row our players only hada fair dinkum crack in ONE quarter.

You do not expect to win by only playing fora quarter.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
degruch
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:First 2 goals the Pies got were started with goal assists (errors) from Gram.

The first was a lovely handball in the midfield toa Pie running at full pace who just continied on to set up a goal.

Once again for the THIRD week ina row our players only hada fair dinkum crack in ONE quarter.

You do not expect to win by only playing fora quarter.
...obviously, that's all RL's fault :roll: