Dean Laidley, would you take him?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Dean Laidley, would you take him?

Still criminally underrated by most, including Nth Melb supporters.

With what he has to work with at Nth, he's looking at two consecutive top 4 finishes. Can't argue with that.

Would get us playing imo.

LennyBoy
Club Player

I never have really rated Laidley as a Senior Coach but he seems to get the job done week in; week out.

He has the strong respect of his playing group, doesn't take crap and has a no nonsense straight forward game plan approach which the Saints could afford to adopt.

OLB where would you rate him on the list of the AFL's Top 16 Coaches?
Last edited by LennyBoy on Thu 14 Aug 2008 4:23pm, edited 1 time in total.

Poochy 1 2 3 4 and 5 should be reinstated!
Beej
Saintsational Legend

LennyBoy wrote:I never have really rated Laidley as a Senior Coach but he seems to get the job done week in; week out.

He has the strong respect of his playing group, doesn't take crap and has a no nonsense straight forward game plan approach which the Saints could afford to adopt.

OLB where would you rate him on the list of the AFL's Top 16's Coaches?
As I said, he's criminally underrated by most but not by me.

To do what he's done with a tin-pot club with limited resources is impressive. They don't half play an attractive brand of footy too and can consistently turn it on against the top sides. They've beaten the Dogs twice this year and OWN Hawthorn.

At the moment I'd have only Matthews, Malthouse, Thompson, Williams and Roos ahead of Laidley.

LennyBoy
Club Player

OLB wrote:
LennyBoy wrote:I never have really rated Laidley as a Senior Coach but he seems to get the job done week in; week out.

To do what he's done with a tin-pot club with limited resources is impressive.

At the moment I'd have only Matthews, Malthouse, Thompson, Williams and Roos ahead of Laidley.
"Cometh the hour, cometh the man"

To use a famous quote, you echo my exact sentiments on this issue OLB.

Poochy 1 2 3 4 and 5 should be reinstated!
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dean Laidley, would you take him?

OLB wrote:Still criminally underrated by most, including Nth Melb supporters.

With what he has to work with at Nth, he's looking at two consecutive top 4 finishes. Can't argue with that.

Hmmm...he'd be able to cure Armo's discipline issues, and Dal's laziness, by scaring them to death! There's something about North (love 'em or hate 'em) that suits Laidley though, just like him, they respond when the chips are down by scrapping to the death...you know, all the 'Shinboner spirit' crap.

We don't have that, unfortunately. Laidley would either murder half our list, or go mad (Blighty style).

Saints43
Club Player

When Butterss approached Laidley - after being questioned by the media as to why we hadn't approached current senior coaches - I was horrified. To me Laidley was an illiterate, cheap option for a broke club.

He has totally changed my view of him. His team seems to come out to play specifically for the opposition on the day. They seem adaptable and willing. The next step that was promised (or inferred, maybe).

For me the best coach is Mark Williams. That's who I thought we were going to get when we announced that: We are not getting the best coach available - We're getting the best coach.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

LennyBoy wrote:
OLB wrote:

To do what he's done with a tin-pot club with limited resources is impressive.

"Cometh the hour, cometh the man"

To use a famous quote, you echo my exact sentiments on this issue OLB.
Tactically very astute too, he's a wily old fox is Laidley. Those two disappointing finals games aside, they have been a match for anyone.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:When Butterss approached Laidley - after being questioned by the media as to why we hadn't approached current senior coaches - I was horrified. To me Laidley was an illiterate, cheap option for a broke club.

He has totally changed my view of him. His team seems to come out to play specifically for the opposition on the day. They seem adaptable and willing. The next step that was promised (or inferred, maybe).

For me the best coach is Mark Williams. That's who I thought we were going to get when we announced that: We are not getting the best coach available - We're getting the best coach.
Cheap, illiterate...no doubt Dean would have thought the same about our club at the time. Having taken his team to two finals campaigns by then, I'm sure he would hardly have relished having his pants pulled down by our ex-pres for not winning a grand final after 18 months, given our superstar list.

Chocco would be great, but he's a 'hard unit', like Laidley...would he enjoy the challenge of trying to coach a team like St Kilda? I don't think so...too many ego, too little effort. Sadly, I also think the club culture at St Kilda make us a less than appealing prospect for a coach. RL was a brave man to take on the job, I think he's done reasonably well, given the weighty expectations heaped on him.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

degruch wrote:
Saints43 wrote:When Butterss approached Laidley - after being questioned by the media as to why we hadn't approached current senior coaches - I was horrified. To me Laidley was an illiterate, cheap option for a broke club.

Cheap, illiterate...no doubt Dean would have thought the same about our club at the time. Having taken his team to two finals campaigns by then, I'm sure he would hardly have relished having his pants pulled down by our ex-pres for not winning a grand final after 18 months, given our superstar list.

Chocco would be great, but he's a 'hard unit', like Laidley...would he enjoy the challenge of trying to coach a team like St Kilda? I don't think so...too many ego, too little effort. Sadly, I also think the club culture at St Kilda make us a less than appealing prospect for a coach. RL was a brave man to take on the job, I think he's done reasonably well, given the weighty expectations heaped on him.
Isn't there a whipser that the Filth are chasing him to replace sourpuss?

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
GrumpyOne

There are basically two types of coaches, one you perform for because you respect, and one you perform for because you are sh1t scared not to.

The two most notable proponents of each approach are Roos and Laidley respectively. With others the percentages may vary, but generally fall into one camp or the other.

I believe that a coach that has your respect has a longer and more successful lifespan in the game than one you fear.

On that basis I would personally say no to Laidley.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Laidley is very lucky that B. Harvey is still there and in good form, as he is usually the inspirational player that gets them back in a game and is probably responsible for getting them over the line in at least three games this season -yet another player that can dig deep and get the result -something we lack maybe except occasionally for Roo and Harvs. P.A. has shown that if you haven't got the cattle you won't win games, regardless of how good a coach Williams might be.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Another Cliff Richard post...

"I wish that I had Jessie's girl" :roll:

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:

Rick Springfield.

Batnoe

There is no denying he is a good coach, but for whatever reason i just dont like the guy

He looks as though he would smoke about 120 cigarettes a day.. I would choose other coaches before Laidly but if he became available it is obvious he would do well

We would be a tough team again and Dal Santo might get a bruise

HarveysDeciple

He has improved out of sight as a coach over his time at that club.

Certainly has them playing with passion and discipline.

Doing a very very good job and that cannot be ignored.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:There are basically two types of coaches, one you perform for because you respect, and one you perform for because you are sh1t scared not to.

The two most notable proponents of each approach are Roos and Laidley respectively. With others the percentages may vary, but generally fall into one camp or the other.

I believe that a coach that has your respect has a longer and more successful lifespan in the game than one you fear.

On that basis I would personally say no to Laidley.
Lets get one thing straight = ALL coaches need to be respected at some level by their players to achieve any sort of success.

IMO there are three types - as you mentioned, the coach you play for because you respect him and the coach you play for because you fear him - but there is also the coach you play for because he's a mate or "one of the boys". All three types can and have been successful.

Roos, imo, falls into the last category.

Chocco gives me the impression that his players would play for him because they fear him.

Matthews demands respect and due to his standing in the game, he gets it.

I agree with Degruch above and I do subsribe to the belief that certain personalities suit certain clubs and Laidley is suited to Nth Melbourne. He comes across as a battler which is what Nth Melb is built on, so everyone keeps telling us.

How he would go for a bigger club with greater expectations, I don't know, but I do think Laidley is excellent both as a motivator and as a tactician.

The opinion that he's your standard coach who can get his players riled for the big occasion looking to cause an upset is selling Laidley well short imo.

Probably due to his looks he gets that tag as he's not the most fashionable of coaches and, lets face it, he doesn't exactly cut the sharpest of figures, but he deserves a lot more respect than the footy public gives him.
Last edited by Beej on Thu 14 Aug 2008 6:48pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Then there's Ross Lyon, the coach you play for because... he's just there all the time. :lol:

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Woulda thought Lethal was the coach who would come to mind when talking about scaring / intimidating players into playing well...

Legendary
Club Player

Laidley's first two years extremely similar to Lyon's ...

Took them to finals in the 3rd year.

Criticisms of Laidley in his first two years?
- Poor with the media
- Came across negative
- Too concerned with tactics
- Failed to develop players
- Didn't inspire
- Inflexible coaching

Sounds familiar?

Now looking at a couple of Prelims in a row with North.

Stick with your coach.

They improve over time.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

degruch wrote:
WayneJudson42 wrote:

Rick Springfield.
OK.... farkin Rick Springfield then! You get my drift. :lol:

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Legendary wrote:Laidley's first two years extremely similar to Lyon's ...

- Poor with the media
- Came across negative
- Didn't inspire
- Inflexible coaching

Sounds familiar?

Stick with your coach.

They improve over time.
You forgot to mention that he also took over a list past it's peak.

I agree totally FWIW. We as supporters should show some spine for a change rather than having high expectations.

This whole "next level" crap has me baffled. No coach has ever one a flag in his first year.

Let's see what next year brings. But I will say, that now is the time to hang tough and stay on as members. If we jump ship coz we arent' doing as well as we'd like, then we can kiss the club goodbye... forever.

Then what???? Run around like headless chooks trying to save the club, like the Demons? By then it will be too late.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:

- Poor with the media
- Came across negative
- Didn't inspire
- Inflexible coaching

Sounds familiar?

Stick with your coach.

They improve over time.

I agree totally FWIW. We as supporters should show some spine for a change rather than having high expectations.

This whole "next level" crap has me baffled. No coach has ever one a flag in his first year.

Let's see what next year brings. But I will say, that now is the time to hang tough and stay on as members. If we jump ship coz we arent' doing as well as we'd like, then we can kiss the club goodbye... forever.

Then what???? Run around like headless chooks trying to save the club, like the Demons? By then it will be too late.
Funny how we remember things in the past. I remember in 2004 people saying we might not go on and win the flag because the list was to young and in experienced. 2 years later and we are past our peak.

Charlie Clymo.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

- Poor with the media
- Came across negative
- Didn't inspire
- Inflexible coaching

Sounds familiar?

Stick with your coach.

They improve over time.
Thanks for putting some perspective on this.

This to me indicates why St Kilda has not had success - keep chucking out the coach...wonder if Hawthorn/Nth are glad they didnt follow that path?

Interesting STABILITY was the advice from Frank Costa to su for success...and yet supporters want another coach sacked...only to ask tomorrow "why cant we be succesfull?"

No to Laidley - is Nth REALLY challenging for a flag?????? and have they in anytime hes been there? Has he built them up to be a GENUINE challenger?

Id argue Grant Thomas has gotten closer and thats hard for me to say...

Be honest and the answers no. Nths a battler, plays with pride and that gets them through a lot of games.......it wont get them past the quality of Geelong/Hawthorn on the big stage and we saw this when Nth faced a genuine contender in Port last finals series and went straight out.

No thanks.

“Yeah….nah””
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I'd much prefer Ross to Dean Laidley but i couldn't bear it if one day in the near future StKilda decided not to renew Lyon's contract at the same time as Collingwood decided not to renew Malthouse's contract and we ended up with the grumpy knob jockey....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
WayneJudson42 wrote:

- Poor with the media
- Came across negative
- Didn't inspire
- Inflexible coaching

Sounds familiar?

Stick with your coach.

They improve over time.

Funny how we remember things in the past. I remember in 2004 people saying we might not go on and win the flag because the list was to young and in experienced. 2 years later and we are past our peak.

Charlie Clymo.
I can see why you p1ss a few people off P66. :wink:

Different circumstances in the sense that we lost a good core of players (yawn). In that sense, the glory team of 04 and 05 is past it. That core as we knew has peaked with the retirements of Powell, Jones, Thommo, Gtrain, Hamill etc. Lost Black, Goose hasn't played for yonks. X? Harves, 3 years older.

It's now 2008. Ok so he took over for 2007, so? We lost a core of good players that played important roles in 04 and 05. And got lumbered with their replacements... Ackland, McGough, Fiora, Watts, Brooks... woo farking hoo.

Not saying that recent recruiting is any better IMO.

Point is that you gotta have faith, and patience.

Every failure brings you one step closer to success. Every mistake is a lesson, unless you keep making the same mistake and expecting different results. For better or worse, we have a coach and he has 1 more year to go. Let him have his run, and see what happens

F*** me, if I'd given up on people as easily as some are prepared to do on players and coaches on this forum... I'd be a lesser man, and have lived a poorer life.

We are quick to condemn, yet slow to suggest some useful solutions other than the same old "sack the coach" "delist that player" "Such and such player from another club is what we need"... Knowing full well that it ain't gunna happen. If this is any indication... then no wonder this club has the history it has.

Go on, sack another coach (not saying that you're advocating it), and we'll all wake up tomorrow with the same heap of dung at our doorstep that this club has had for over 30 years.

And I do mean FAIRDINKUM! :evil: