Geelong taunts Saints over list

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

my les foote
Club Player

Geelong taunts Saints over list

He conveniently forgot about their captain being from Port Adelaide, Mooney from Geelong, Ottens from Richmond, and both Abletts who were picked up on the father - son rule from a Hawthorn recruit.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/g ... 35270.html

GEELONG coach Mark Thompson has fired the opening salvo ahead of Sunday's first qualifying final against St Kilda, saying the clubs have different philosophies about list management.

The comments came as St Kilda coach Ross Lyon revealed that classy midfielder Luke Ball would not return from his hamstring injury for the encounter after a hiccup in his rehabilitation this week.

Thompson said the Saints had enjoyed a great year in Lyon's second season in charge, but relied on players from other clubs to still be alive in September.

Former Cats skipper Steven King was picked up by the Saints after last year's premiership, joining former teammate Charlie Gardiner at Moorabbin.

"Under Grant (Thomas), they were really a development club," Thompson said.

"Under Ross, they've got a few guys from other clubs, two from our club, and have done particularly well. It's different philosophies, but we generally like to recruit and develop our own people."

As well as King and Gardiner, the Saints have recycled five other players who played more than 50 AFL games before crossing to Moorabbin.

Lyon stepped around Thompson's comment, saying there are "plenty of different ways to bake the cake" and the Saints have thrived by picking up players from other clubs.

"We're thrilled with the way we've put our list together, and that's continuing and evolving," he said.

"We'll continue to take draft picks and continue to analyse players from other clubs and — when we see fit — we'll bring them to our club and grow them."

Win it for HIM!
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

His coaching has gone to a whole new level, but he remains a profoundly annoying git!!

StSteven
Club Player

Bit tough as he is correct. Harley 1 game at Port, Mooney 11 at North and in the video he refers to Ottens saying "except for him."

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

If that's his absolute best "taunt" he's got some work to do.

Saint Mik
Club Player

Most of the players that RL got in are those that GT did not rate

Cant blame RL for getting what he thinks he needs in the first year at the club, you cant develope your own players in 5 mins.

Easy shot from a bloke that has been around the club for 9 years, most of them in tears.

Good on bomber for what he has done with the club I reckon

Cant wait to see how :oops: he is afetr Kingy carves Ottens up on Sunday

Just worry about your end of the highway and we will worry about our own club, and dont forget bomber every win is getting closer to a LOSS :wink:

Forget the past, Saints footy, One better in 2010
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Well it shows that at least 'Bomba' is taking us as a serious challenge, otherwise he wouldn't be playing this silly little mind game.

Ice Wolf
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:Well it shows that at least 'Bomba' is taking us as a serious challenge, otherwise he wouldn't be playing this silly little mind game.
We all know what happened last time someone tried to play mind games in september.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:His coaching has gone to a whole new level, but he remains a profoundly annoying git!!
Agreed.

"We generally like to develop our own people." :lol: Do me a favour.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

OLB wrote:
meher baba wrote:His coaching has gone to a whole new level, but he remains a profoundly annoying git!!
Agreed.

"We generally like to develop our own people." :lol: Do me a favour.
It's true!!!

After they finish playing they send their players off to a 'stud farm' so they can continue bahaving like animals.

On another note,
Do you think they have sent complimentary tickets for this Sunday to Mr & Mrs Horan?
How must they feel walking into Skilled Stadium and seeing Gary Ablett's name honoured so publicly on a grandstand?

gooner
Club Player

Had no idea that this was against the rules of the comp.

IMO it is a valid, and in many ways more sensible way of recruiting (Moneyball anyone?)

What was Rossy going to do? Wait 5 years for a ruckman to develop?

It seems we always get some s*** or other for our recruiting. We apparantley have two million first round draft picks (I got this the other day from a Carlton fan, are you kidding me?) and now this crap. Yet the amount of quality father son players that Geelong have had is to my mind the difference between them and the rest in this otherwise even comp.

And anyway he still looks like a carp.

"The humble improve" Wynton Marsalis
oh when
Club Player

At least Lyon knows you win finals with a good ruck men - a position GT did not rank highly and is why in last two last finals we played we got smashed in the last quarter of both games.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Geelong taunts Saints over list

my les foote wrote:Lyon stepped around Thompson's comment, saying there are "plenty of different ways to bake the cake"
I'll bet ross wanted to say there are "plenty of different ways to skin a Cat".

you watch bummer if he loses in september. those big, black puffy bags will appear under his eyes again.

Ice Wolf
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
my les foote wrote:Lyon stepped around Thompson's comment, saying there are "plenty of different ways to bake the cake"
I'll bet ross wanted to say there are "plenty of different ways to skin a Cat".

you watch bummer if he loses in september. those big, black puffy bags will appear under his eyes again.
That sounds like the unedited for media Ross, wish we could have that personality back in the media.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

If I was Ross I would've said, "at least I don't have sex with my players ex gf's...and my face doesn't need lipo"

That would've shut Bomber up. :twisted:

Persuader
Club Player

He's an odd bod for sure Bomber.
Got a bit of a nasty, school boy bully streak.
Think the point he's really making 'we're Geelong but they're just a mish mash, not really St Kilda' which is beyond pathetic.

Founding member of the Jason Blake Appreciation Society
The Saintsational Man
Club Player

Bomber Thompson thinks he the Bees Knees in coaching circles these days.

He's turned into an arrogant, trout faced, fu*kwit.

Once he falls off that high horse, i'll be the first to laugh.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

I don't deny him his success. It's just that he's a sour-faced, surly, humourless, charcterless ars*hole.

After the West Coast game, when questioned about his team's performance, he started off by saying 'Look, West Coast don't really have much of a list at the moment, so...'

Now West Coast have struggled. Indeed, their playing group may not be what it once was, but that kind of talk is beyond the pale. It's arrogant, disrespectful and ugly and has no place at the AFL table in my view.

I can't wait until he pri*k falls off his high horse. He disgusts me.

TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

What's the issue, he can say what he likes AFAIAC - he and his team has the score on the board.

The only way we'll shut him up is by winning on Sunday.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

my les foote wrote:He conveniently forgot about their captain being from Port Adelaide, Mooney from Geelong, Ottens from Richmond, and both Abletts who were picked up on the father - son rule from a Hawthorn recruit.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/g ... 35270.html

GEELONG coach Mark Thompson has fired the opening salvo ahead of Sunday's first qualifying final against St Kilda, saying the clubs have different philosophies about list management.

The comments came as St Kilda coach Ross Lyon revealed that classy midfielder Luke Ball would not return from his hamstring injury for the encounter after a hiccup in his rehabilitation this week.

Thompson said the Saints had enjoyed a great year in Lyon's second season in charge, but relied on players from other clubs to still be alive in September.

Former Cats skipper Steven King was picked up by the Saints after last year's premiership, joining former teammate Charlie Gardiner at Moorabbin.

"Under Grant (Thomas), they were really a development club," Thompson said.

"Under Ross, they've got a few guys from other clubs, two from our club, and have done particularly well. It's different philosophies, but we generally like to recruit and develop our own people."

As well as King and Gardiner, the Saints have recycled five other players who played more than 50 AFL games before crossing to Moorabbin.

Lyon stepped around Thompson's comment, saying there are "plenty of different ways to bake the cake" and the Saints have thrived by picking up players from other clubs.

"We're thrilled with the way we've put our list together, and that's continuing and evolving," he said.

"We'll continue to take draft picks and continue to analyse players from other clubs and — when we see fit — we'll bring them to our club and grow them."
so we have completed relied on king, schnieder and dempster to get us over the line in tight games??? causing us to sneek into 4th??

well i guess he does have a point...rooey was developed at southport, kosi country vic somewhere...i guess we dont have the option of picking half a team from geelong

sorry bomber...we fail...so sorry

oh and you won't hear or see ross lyon harp on about other squads...why would he give two s***s???...geelong aren't going to win st kilda the premiership...

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Where's Plugger66's comments backing up Bummer?

Another opportunity awaits!
goodie
Club Player

A simplistic way of looking at it. I'd say we're just as much of a development club under Ross, given that our rookie list is thriving.

Add to that how much our young fellows would have learned from the experience brought in, eg: Mcevoy and King

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

goodie wrote:A simplistic way of looking at it. I'd say we're just as much of a development club under Ross, given that our rookie list is thriving.

Add to that how much our young fellows would have learned from the experience brought in, eg: Mcevoy and King

shouldn't a club always be developing through???

once it doesnt ala richmond/melbourne one is in deep trouble

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
JeffDunne

"It's different philosophies, but we generally like to breed and develop our own people."

I think that's what he meant to say.

Falchoon
Club Player

Nothing wrong with what he's saying, it's the truth.

You'll find most clubs with under 5 Father Son selections do it

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

heck hes the premiership coach who has won 21 games for the year you can expect him to be a cocky s*** in the end all these mind games do is get the fans all fired up the players have their own motovation to go out there and give it their all . comments like that are like water off a ducks back to the players trust me they will know how important and how much of a challange this weeks game is going to be !! we should be happy making 4th spot and not let anyone take away from that we earnt our spot we deserve our spot . secretly i think Geelong are a bit worried we might be pulling it together at the right time this year .... time will tell

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/