Reasons to be excited

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Reasons to be excited

1. We are playing for a spot in the preliminary final!
2. We are playing finals this week.
3. The boys will be very hurt by this loss and will come out looking for blood.
4. We have blooded a few youngsters like eddy and CJ in a final.
5. X will be better for the run
6. Raph stood up in finals and did some good things
7. Pies coming off two interstate wins

(some more from RF)
8.We don't meet Geelong again until GF Day
9. Collingwood are 'undermanned'
10. We actually match up Ok against Collingwood, and they have caught us this year when we've been 'down'.
11. When we roll the pies, we play a side who we have a pretty good record against - the Hawks.
12. And......

....We're still in it!
13. lenny got off

But most importantly

13. We have a chance to watch Harvey run around AGAIN.

I refuse to give up on HARVEYS LAST YEAR. The season STARTS NOW.

Lets pck the MCG on saturday night and roar the boys home. We have the hawks measure and I would back us to make a grand final and get another shot at the Cats

(all these positives... they add up.... get a ticket to day!!)
Last edited by Solar on Mon 08 Sep 2008 11:27pm, edited 4 times in total.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
SaintWal
Club Player

We will be there

felixleo
Club Player

No i'm going to watch it on the telly the temptation to wack the filth nuff nuffs just gets too strong.

Are you gonna be the one?
doristhesaint
Club Player

Black and White filth hope we put them out of busines

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Excellent post .Someone who wants to stay positive instead of laying the boots in wanting to trade everyone again after a week.

Geelong have become a fantastic super professional unit that winning has just become a formality to.

We did try hard but couldn't match there class and skill.

I'm confident going into next week.
Last edited by Winmar7Fan on Sun 07 Sep 2008 11:18pm, edited 1 time in total.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Taking on the Pies after two big interstate trips...I like the sound of that. Would be the best way to exact some revenge for the two defeats this year...knock 'em out of the finals!

Positive that we didn't get any injuries...didn't get close enough toany contested ball! Speaking of Ball...we should be a lot better with him back in the team.

Don't stress...we'll be lining up against Geelong again in a few weeks.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Well said solar.

There's more to be positive about as well.

As you intimated - the players will have that extra motivation... knowing each game is harvs' last;
knowing they can play much better;
knowing that that wet stuff makes the ball, the players and the ground slippery;
knowing in the rematch in 3 weeks bal and x will be played into form;
and knowing the cats best form - the cats are yet to see ours!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
4ever_saint
Club Player

Finally! Someone whose not having a dig at all the negative aspects of this weekend. The truth is we played Geelong. They will win the premiership this year- No ends about it.

Last year same game, they smashed NM by 100 points and they are far better IMO this year. We managed to match it with them in intensity for the first half and out-tackled them all day. Another positive, in the last quarter, we didnt fold and begin rebuilding for next week (though we definately could have).

This game was definately a positive for showing that CJ is more than just an average player. That when other players around him were dropping off in form, he stood up, even though there are many people who think nothing of him. IMO, he has earnt his spot this year and has definately proven to be a lucrative player.

I may be alone, but I saw this game to be a vast improvement for Gilbert. Albeit he turned it over quite a bit, against quality fowards he had a very solid day.

This was a test to show us exactly where we are at- we were never expected to win as much as wel all wanted to. We get one more week of finals and one more week of harvs.

And, if we win next week, we knock Collingwood out of the finals :lol:

Solar
Saintsational Legend

bump...

Everyone get excited... get pumped up...

huge game this week, chance to progress deep into the finals....

FQF
In richo I trust

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:bump...

Everyone get excited... get pumped up...

huge game this week, chance to progress deep into the finals....
wish the players had the same enthusiasm/intensity
so many let us down in that area.

Beaten by a very good team...................but the way we rolled

exposed many for their lack of skills

saint4life
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Here's some more positives...

- We don't meet Geelong again until GF Day
- Collingwood are 'undermanned'
- We actually match up Ok against Collingwood, and they have caught us this year when we've been 'down'.
- When we roll the pies, we play a side who we have a pretty good record against - the Hawks.
- And......

....We're still in it!

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

felixleo wrote:No i'm going to watch it on the telly the temptation to wack the filth nuff nuffs just gets too strong.
I hope your pulling Fev's appendige!

That's the kind of attitude that will give the Pies 80% of the crowd support.....our team needs the fans - hardcore AND fair weather ones to turn up.

Afterall, if things go pear-shaped, it'll be Harvs last.

Let's get into the Prelims, maybe the Granny.

We won't win the flag, but I'll be rapt if we just beat Collingwood - anything else is a bonus IMO!

Solar
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
felixleo wrote:No i'm going to watch it on the telly the temptation to wack the filth nuff nuffs just gets too strong.
I hope your pulling Fev's appendige!

That's the kind of attitude that will give the Pies 80% of the crowd support.....our team needs the fans - hardcore AND fair weather ones to turn up.

Afterall, if things go pear-shaped, it'll be Harvs last.

Let's get into the Prelims, maybe the Granny.

We won't win the flag, but I'll be rapt if we just beat Collingwood - anything else is a bonus IMO!
agreed and don't come bitching to us that you miss watching robert harvey because every saints supporter in melbourne need to get out to roar this champion in the home stretch.....

FQF
Think not what the club can do for you but what you can do for your club... Harvs has been that for 21 years....No excuses

FQF
In richo I trust

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

nah im watching it on telly.!

yipper
SS Life Member

The main positive is Geelong are not there this week. We don't see them for another 3 weeks 8-)

We have a chance to put the Pies out of business, and go onto the Prelim to face a team that would be shiteing itself at the prospect of playing us!! It could still be a GF finish for Harvs - and well, we'll think about the possible outcome at that time....

We are in the finals - using our double chance. That is what we earnt. Beat Collingwood. Beat them, come on.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
rexy
SS Life Member

Bloody good thread this, lots to be excited about, just lost a game we were expected to lose. Making top 4 was worth it as we have been smashed in a final and our pride is hurting but we still live on.

GO SAINTS

Maybe this year?
matrix
Saintsational Legend

on saturday i played a GF
we won our third in a row (only b grade, but hey...i was happy)
it was my last game
the plan was to give the playing days a kiss goodbye and to get a REAL membership next year (not an interstate membership), work hard all summer saving some dosh and then get over to melb as much as possible and even get to other states....basically follow them for as many games as i can thoughout 2009....ive got the bug now ive been to a few over in melb.

i had bought the ticket to the cats game as soon as they were on sale, KNOWING that i was playing in a GF (on the saturday before the cats game) and had been undefeated for 3 YEARS (so basically it was in the bag, and we won by 70 odd points)
of course u know what kinda night that leads to, especially when both lower grades (the juniors) also brought home premierships too.....it was slated as a VERY big one.....
but i didnt have a big one, i had four beers (one out the prem cup) and had a feed, said my goodbyes and left at a respectable 10pm....and trust me people couldnt believe it, id told the team and the coach i was going early but the peeps that help around the club (family etc etc...) really tried everything to get me to stay
"ill take u to the airport in the morning"
"stay at my place..i can get u there, what times the flight?"
no thanks....i know what that leads to....
i had a plane to catch in the morning and a game to see......an important game...saints v the reigning premiers.

so $500 bucks later im sitting in my seat at three quarter time....knowing the game is gone, im half cut and im not happy.
i trudge back to me hotel near the train station when the final siren blows, and it starts raining.....great.

i get into the hotel room and flick the tube on, great total crap is on.....
the mind starts to think...and think...and stew...and boil.

F*** it....im not wasting the money on the pies game i say to myself.
i mean i can sit at home all day saturday, light the fire, pour a chivas regal and get comfy...why spend the money?.
i can pay the 1200 bucks worth of bills i have instead??
i wont have to organise a room, a flight blah blah etc etc.

i fall alseep (early) to the sound of some tossser on CSI.

i wake up in the morning around 3.30am....i think about the night before.
i think about the game the night before, and start thinking..
#35...#35
the legend #35
and as someone else said, this bloke has put 21 friggin years into this club, 21 FRIGGIN YEARS!
thats 3 quarters of my lifetime.
my attitude change immediately, i was getting pumped
"F*** it......im coming back next week to see us beat the pies.....then ill be back the week after too!"
never give in, never give up.....even if it just means playing for pride when u know u are gone.

ill be back there this week and the f****** week after........
....and on that final day too.

great thread 8-).....better than that roo thread started by some twat

go uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu saintz 8-)

now....
im off for mad monday celebrations...
oh boy, am i in trouble

chook23
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:Well said solar.

There's more to be positive about as well.

As you intimated - the players will have that extra motivation... knowing each game is harvs' last;
knowing they can play much better;
knowing that that wet stuff makes the ball, the players and the ground slippery;knowing in the rematch in 3 weeks bal and x will be played into form;
and knowing the cats best form - the cats are yet to see ours!
Think they may have picked up on that in UNDER 10

saint4life
davidgrantfan
Club Player

Look guys and girls, this was the game to lose against Geelong...not the next one.

No point in playing your best hand this week to maybe win the game and then having nothing up your sleeve for next time,...Geelong would then have us all worked out, and us going into GF full of false confidence.

Yes, we were out- played in every dept except tackles...which weren't really rewarding us as they might have with fair umpiring. Geelong knows how to really stretch a friendship with their holding the ball when tackled, and milking free kicks, but that's not Geelong's fault. They have worked out that it's worth the risk of getting pinged, because they probably wont be....

We didnt play well, and we dont get much wet weather experience, but we didnt get absolutely thrashed either, and despite the glowing reviews by the press, I wasnt totally sold on Geelong's game either.

This was always going to be a big ask and last week's thrashing of Essondon was a less than ideal preparation for this. I was also really surprised to see X Clarke get a start yesterday.......

Yes, this was a good game to lose, and as an added bonus we get the opportunity to take on Collingwood who rolled us a few weeks ago.

"Even the most widely held opinions should never be regarded as an ultimate truth"...Science and Public Policy Institute USA.. on the subject of climate change.
chook23
Saintsational Legend

davidgrantfan wrote:Look guys and girls, this was the game to lose against Geelong...not the next one.
No point in playing your best hand this week to maybe win the game and then having nothing up your sleeve for next time,...Geelong would then have us all worked out, and us going into GF full of false confidence.

Yes, we were out- played in every dept except tackles...which weren't really rewarding us as they might have with fair umpiring. Geelong knows how to really stretch a friendship with their holding the ball when tackled, and milking free kicks, but that's not Geelong's fault. They have worked out that it's worth the risk of getting pinged, because they probably wont be....

We didnt play well, and we dont get much wet weather experience, but we didnt get absolutely thrashed either, and despite the glowing reviews by the press, I wasnt totally sold on Geelong's game either.

This was always going to be a big ask and last week's thrashing of Essondon was a less than ideal preparation for this. I was also really surprised to see X Clarke get a start yesterday.......

Yes, this was a good game to lose, and as an added bonus we get the opportunity to take on Collingwood who rolled us a few weeks ago.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

what 2009 if we dont get past Coll and then Hawthorn!!

saint4life
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

I find it interesting that the media has already written us off and that Collingwood has momentum.

Gee they won one game and suddenly they have momentum, maybe they should look at history and see how many teams from the lower half of the 8 have beaten teams in the top half of the 8 in the Semi Finals.

Doesn't happen very often.

I want to win so badly, not just because I want to make a prelim final, not just because I want Harvey to play another game, I just want to knock Collingwood out of the finals.

No gold jacket for Joffa this Saturday night.

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

I like to put my money where my mouth is....so therefore I have just laid a gorrilla at A COOL $2.20 for us to win....If you guys enjoy making easy money, i suggest you do the same....

Going out in straight sets is just UNIMAGINABLE!

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:
I want to win so badly, not just because I want to make a prelim final, not just because I want Harvey to play another game, I just want to knock Collingwood out of the finals.
If that was as far as we needed to go this season, I'd be happy with that! To roll the filth outta contention! That'd be sweet! :wink: :D

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
4ever_saint
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:Here's some more positives...

- We don't meet Geelong again until GF Day
- Collingwood are 'undermanned'
- We actually match up Ok against Collingwood, and they have caught us this year when we've been 'down'.
- When we roll the pies, we play a side who we have a pretty good record against - the Hawks.
- And......

....We're still in it!
down being harvey had just announced his retirement?

the first time we played them, we were not in form.

the second time, they were fired up after the criticism they copped for the didak/shaw incident.

hopefully we can rebound after geelong and prove we are a good side, despite every journo (and pretty much ever supporter) writing us off.

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Yesterday's loss certainly knocks the stuffing out of you. But it is important to move on quickly and focus of the positives as Solar said. I was very disappointed our supporters had us written off before we played Geelong.

Our boys need all the support they can get. There will be a massive Magpie crowd this week after interstate games. So common Sainters get behind our boys and show them our support at the MCG, not in front on the TV.

Qld Saints Supporter Group