Hard decisions must be made

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BallyIsBest
Club Player

Hard decisions must be made

Hate to be 'negative', but a massive opportunity was lost this weekend. Had we of won, it would have been likely that Hawthorn and Geelong play eachother in a Prelim knocking one of the two 'fancied' teams out. And would have easily been able to account for Sydney/ Bullies IMHO in the other Prelim. Then it would be 120 mins to glory.....

The frustrating part was the way in which the loss occurred.....basically without a yelp. Very disappointing.

Hard decisions have to be made before the Filth game this w/end.

And by 'hard decisions', I mean decisions that may not be universally popular, but are for the good of the team.

I look at two players in particular, Kosi and Harves.

1. Kosi - fairly self explanatory. He is such a 'flash-in-the-plan' player. He has the ability to be a game winner but what is the point of having him in the side when he is a liability for 6 games for every 1 influential game? As has been written before, I believe he should be offloaded now while he is still worth something.

2. Harves - I think the time has come (just hear me out before you beat me to death!). I dont think he should play next week. My basis for this is that the TEAM is greater than any one PLAYER. And I believe that a team should not 'carry' a player regardless of sentiment. I am not going to recite Bangers career, he brilliance is undeniable. But his football ability/body/strength/stamina is obviously heading south quite rapidly, hence his decision to retire. There have been many instance in the second half of this season, and culminating in the game yesterday, that showed the game has passed him by. For instance, that hit on him by Rooke (first quarter I think) happened right below me. He took an age to get up and I think that really affected him for the remainder of the match. In his younger days he shrugged off hits like that continued to accumulate 30+ possessions without any problems, but yesterday I felt quite sad for him. If he were to play next week, if I was coaching the Filth I would get a player to target Harves early on knowing that 1 half decent hit would effectively render him out of the game (leaving the team down to 21, knowing how important bench rotations are these days...ruthless, but it is cut-and-throat at this end of the season). I dont believe that hierarchy can take this chance, regardless of sentiment. There were numerous other occasions yesterday when he looked well below par (and if we are all honest with ourselves, everyone would admit it). I would never question Harves heart or endeavour, but time has taken a massive toll.

I know that my view re: Harves may not be popular with some, but as a passionate supporter sitting on the sidelines reading these forums for so long, my frustration has continued to grow and I just needed to express it.

Sorry Bangers but I know you would put the jumper ahead of yourself.

There is still hope for 2008, and no better way to keep the flame alive than by knocking over the wobbles next week!

bigred
Saintsational Legend

You honestly think we should leave Banger out of an elimination final.

Nice first post.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
The Saintsational Man
Club Player

bigred wrote:You honestly think we should leave Banger out of an elimination final.

Nice first post.
I stopped reading as soon as I saw that.

He plays 1 bad game, as did the rest of our side, maybe minus Lenny & Fisher and suddenly he should have retired last year.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

And I would not worry about a second post!

BTW: If I was the Filth coach and targeted Harves (taking him out of the game early) I would be very worried.

Saint Mik
Club Player

Make sure you are on here next Monday you flog,

YOU WILL BE EATING YOUR WORDS IN THIS POST

Nothing short of a disgrace, Banger will be in our top 10 once again this year and you want to leave him out.

Have you been to any other games this year :roll:

Farking knee jerkers who needs them.

I do agree with you Kossi posts though and it saddens me, just look at my SIG :cry:

CMON KOSSI LIFT FOR FARKS SAKE PLEASE.

Forget the past, Saints footy, One better in 2010
TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

Saint Mik wrote:I do agree with you Kossi posts though and it saddens me, just look at my SIG :cry:

CMON KOSSI LIFT FOR FARKS SAKE PLEASE.
I know this is a little bit off topic but I reckon Sheedy was a wily old fox.

Sheedy pumped Kosi up saying he would win a Brownlow - but he is far from winning one.

He also pumped up Dal Santo and compared him to Ian Stewart.

His mind tricks have worked well on both of them!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Yes..Roo had a shocker..much worse than Banger's game...surely we must drop Roo too :roll:

Ignore their sesaons..and their careers and drop both based purely on one game. :roll: :roll: Sound logic that = not!!!

PS Bnnger wasa long long way from our worst on Sunday!

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Hang on - BallyisBest - joined today - One post calling for Harveys dropping!!!

Have not heard the Troll word yet - surely a first time poster with a love affair for the Saints would not be calling for Harves to be dropped in what could conceivably be his last game!

LOL - Go back under the bridge Trolly - I hear some goats approaching

spert
Saintsational Legend

After yesterday's powder-puff display, I think most of the team should be dropped!

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Harvs plays one bad game, but still gets top 3! Says a lot about the rest of the team doesn't it??

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
BallyIsBest
Club Player

Talk about being shot down?!

I'm not surprised with the responses, all through history geniuses are often ridiculed because their thinking is against the grain, rather than the sheep mentality of the rest of you.

YES, we all agree/know Harvey WAS a great player and will go down as one of the VFL/AFL all time most talented/skilled/couragous/ambasadors but that time has long passed. He is now a liability (it pains me to say that but like the title of the thread - hard decisions must be made for the benefit of the club). Mediocrity has flowed through our veins for too long.

Mark my words, if Harvey plays on Saturday, not only will we be fare welling him, but we will be fare welling yet another wasted season. Its little wonder this club has been so unsuccessful over 100 years with the soft sentimental attitude of people on here.

Its time for tough decisions and maybe dropping Harvey will wake a few others up, a few ruthless decisions may help finally put this club on the right track or maybe we should do things the old St kilda way: glorify a few individuals, over rate the average performers, reminisce a few past glories, and when it all goes wrong sack the coach.

Quixote
SS Life Member

I thought you might have waited longer before revealing yourself as the TROLL that you are.

Do you suffer from being premature in other aspects of your life as well?

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

BallyIsBest wrote:
I'm not surprised with the responses, all through history geniuses are often ridiculed
second post in and the troll thinks he is a genius :roll: :roll:

F*** off you trolling idiot.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

The Saintsational Man wrote:
I stopped reading as soon as I saw that.
me too, next thread

Before Im 85
BallyIsBest
Club Player

SORRY, SainterDad and Saint Mik, I forgot you're only truely a saints supporter the moment you post on this forum.

Forget about first match attended, first membership purchased, its all about the date you joined up here.

How many of you went over to Perth this year to watch the saints play, TWICE? I havent missed a game in vic for over 5 years, I would have a guess that most on here are not even members. And I wont even start on corporate dollars that I have parted with.

Apologies to those who do not share the same thoughts as those who have attempted to belittle my comments/thoughts/passions as 'trolling', but I take great offence at people questioning my allegiance to club.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Attention all TROLL ALERT

Dont feed the troll.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
BallyIsBest
Club Player

If you actually READ what I have written rather than accusing me of having alterior motives (the easy option as you dont agree *debate is healthy*), I'm sure you would see that I would not waste my tiome writing rubbish that I did not believe in.

Each to his own.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

why the f*** would you drop banger,
are you stupid.
clearly you are.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

BallyIsBest wrote:
Its time for tough decisions and maybe dropping Harvey will wake a few others up, a few ruthless decisions may help finally put this club on the right track or maybe we should do things the old St kilda way: glorify a few individuals, over rate the average performers, reminisce a few past glories, and when it all goes wrong sack the coach.
dropping harves is pointless for next week. its not as if it will be awakeup call to go for this year.

if the saints lose this week, that will probably be the wakeup call.

the ruthless decision would be to drop kosi.

he has done very little this year!

you might as well drop 18 out of 22 players for next week, as very few played well!.

would you drop Roo? he had a bad game as well. from reading saturday's paper, i think he be much harder on himself regarding how he played then anyone else about him!
Last edited by saintly on Mon 08 Sep 2008 2:03pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

ralphysaints35 wrote:why the f*** would you drop banger,
are you stupid.
clearly you are.
make a contribution don't post crap

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

drop kosi, has done nothing all year.!

timtam
Club Player

1) Drop Kosi

2) Drop McQualter

3) Bring in Fraser (if he is up to scratch) Fraser gives you that 'unknown' factorand his inclusion would worry a few of the teams (I know for a fact that a player from Geelong was concerned about Frasers possible inclusion a couple of weeks back as he is a wildcard)

4) Bring In Birss and/or Armitage

In response to the OP, obviously he was not watching the same game as the rest of us yesterday. If he was, he must have been sitting beside Caro and listening to her drivvle..........

It ain't over yet! Had we actually not been intimidated and nervous, we could/can beat this team. 1st can beat 16th on any given day. However for it to happen, it HAS TO BE A TEAM EFFORT, not just a couple of exceptional performance from key individuals.

Don't argue with an idiot - people watching may not be able to tell the difference.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Pies fans are signing up this week in force it looks like...we have two now in this thread.....

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
robsaint
Club Player

What are you smoking!
Going by your reasoning we would ahve retired the whole team at some stage

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

I'd suggest no change this week.

Sure, Kosi was useless (becoming inceasingly more common, but that's a different argument), Roo went missing too often, Harves didn't have his best game, and we had a few other guys who looked at sea, but it's almost impossible if we can't get our hands on the ball. Geelong smashed us, and are a much better side - their ability to know where a teammate will be without looking was astounding.

Let the same 22 guys who let the jumper down yesterday, fight for a bit of pride this week. There isn't anyone at Casey who is demanding a spot in the seniors, and Luke Ball is the only certain starter who is any chance to come in.