Gram V Guerra

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Gram V Guerra

Yes Gram has done well for us and no matter what I say he is with the Saints

but, why the F*** did we delist Guerra and in the same year draft Gram??

Guerra has a far better kick to position and has less errors in his disposals and is also better in tackling...

Gram kicks the occasional goal, but that means nothing when a good deal of his disposals result in turn overs and goals to the opposition.

This year Gram has averaged 14.3 disposals and 6 marks

This year Guerra has averaged 20.5 disposals and 6.3 marks

Again many of Gram's disposals result in turnovers and a good deal of them result in goals ......

Most of Guerra's disposals result in a Hawks possession and goals to the Hawks...

Very poor decision in dropping Guerra and getting nothing for him IMO

Gram is good, but not as good as Guerra IMO, a player we let go for nothing

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
battye
Saintsational Legend

I would have liked to have kept Guerra, but at the time his delisting didn't seem all that unexpected. Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing? :)

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
Pilgram
Club Player

gram has hair

of his own.
its all about the hair :)

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Guerra was terrible the season before we delisted him...this forum must have been ablaze with comments about recycled players (which Gram is too, of course). Can't really take a gamble with these guys. Besides, if Guerra was playing for Melbourne this year, he'd look decidedly less 'spectacular'.

doggerel
Club Player

In retrospect, he was played out of position. We always had him at forward pocket. SOme useful performances but that is it. Kudos to Clarkson for reinventing him in the backline.

St Kilda Social Club member since 1996
felixleo
Club Player

Pilgram wrote:gram has hair

of his own.
its all about the hair :)
And you say my statements are ridiculous.

Are you gonna be the one?
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Gram V Guerra

St Fidelius wrote: but, why the F*** did we delist Guerra and in the same year draft Gram??
We recruited them both in the off season of 2003.

Gram has averaged 20.5 disposals, Guerra 20.4 disposals.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

doggerel wrote:In retrospect, he was played out of position. We always had him at forward pocket. SOme useful performances but that is it. Kudos to Clarkson for reinventing him in the backline.
agreed...

a great kick to position and yes my comments are in retrospect...

I would love to know just how many goals Gram is responible for in goals against, and maybe Champion Data can provide those stats.

IMO Gram has done more for the opposition by way of goals from disposals than Guerra and Guerra has had more goal assists than Gram.

Hawks have a nack of getting it right come draft time and our loss is their gain IMO

Guerra much tougher at the contest and a greater kick to position that Gram..

IMO anyone who can run and have no accountability on their opponent can play the same role as Gram...

Even CJ can do the same IMO

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
linz
Club Player

Thomo didn't like Guerra.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
fonz_#15
SS Life Member

gram has kicked 20 goals this season, that makes him in the top 6 at the club.

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

fonz_#15 wrote:gram has kicked 20 goals this season, that makes him in the top 6 at the club.
yeah, but just how many goals has he conceded in both turn overs and kicks by his direct opponent ???

His job is not kicking goals IMO, his job is firstly being responsible on his opponents possessions and then his kicking...

His kicking to position this year was woeful IMO

Yes he has kicked goals but his disposal to position is what I am questioning..

Guerra, has been a great player in that regards and many of his disposals have resulted in goals, and his direct opponent has done little, and we let him go for nothing..

Gram IMO will not improve on that area as Guerra has always been a good kick..

I am just spitting chips that we let a good player go and we picked up a player that many can do (if you are a good runner)

The point is that Gram is a sh1t kick to position

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Guerra doesn't go hard enough at a contest when he can't snipe.

When he is caught he plays "possum" and just lays on the ball...he was doing it consistently in his last season for us.

I'm generally happy with our back six and wouldn't want Guerra back.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

here are Guerra's stats in finals for both PA and us:
8,4,6,9,7,2,2,2,1 - total of three goals in nine games. Don't think the call was too soon.

I'd also wait till next week to see if the move is one of coaching brilliance.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:Guerra doesn't go hard enough at a contest when he can't snipe.

When he is caught he plays "possum" and just lays on the ball...he was doing it consistently in his last season for us.

Guerra played up forward for us generally.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote:Guerra doesn't go hard enough at a contest when he can't snipe.

The OP is comparing Gram to Guerra who plays as a half-back flanker now.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
degruch wrote:

Thank you and spot on..

Gram to me is the most marketable as far as trade bait is concerned..

Yes, gets possessions and kicks some goals but his disposals,on the main result in costly turnovers..

Most will disagree, but as far as trade bait for a player that disposals verses effectiveness is concerned ...

a good trade bait IMO

degruch
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote:
degruch wrote:

Thank you and spot on..

Yes, gets possessions and kicks some goals but his disposals,on the main result in costly turnovers..

Most will disagree, but as far as trade bait for a player that disposals verses effectiveness is concerned ...

a good trade bait IMO
Apples with apples kids. This started as a hypothetical, and is getting moreso by the moment, isn't it? We'll never know if Gram would be better than Guerra in the same position, so how can you compare the two?

We just signed Gram up for 3 years, he ain't goin' nowhere.

The_Merchant
Club Player

Re: Gram V Guerra

St Fidelius wrote:Yes Gram has done well for us and no matter what I say he is with the Saints

but, why the F*** did we delist Guerra and in the same year draft Gram??

Guerra has a far better kick to position and has less errors in his disposals and is also better in tackling...

Gram kicks the occasional goal, but that means nothing when a good deal of his disposals result in turn overs and goals to the opposition.

Again many of Gram's disposals result in turnovers and a good deal of them result in goals ......

Most of Guerra's disposals result in a Hawks possession and goals to the Hawks...

Very poor decision in dropping Guerra and getting nothing for him IMO

Gram is good, but not as good as Guerra IMO, a player we let go for nothing
Would take Gram over Guerra any day of the week. Where did you get the disposals stat. Gram has had 454 disposals this year, Guerra 371. Most of Guerras disposals this year have been nothing kicks around half back. Not even close to the player Gram is.

If at first you don't succeed, sky diving is not for you.
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote:
degruch wrote:

Thank you and spot on..

a good trade bait IMO
Apples with apples kids. This started as a hypothetical, and is getting moreso by the moment, isn't it? We'll never know if Gram would be better than Guerra in the same position, so how can you compare the two?

pity, because he ain't going now where as a footballer IMO..

can't kick to position and his many of his disposals results in turn overs...

Pity we let go of Guerra, his disposals are more damaging and result in less turn overs

degruch
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
degruch wrote: Apples with apples kids. This started as a hypothetical, and is getting moreso by the moment, isn't it? We'll never know if Gram would be better than Guerra in the same position, so how can you compare the two?

Pity we let go of Guerra, his disposals are more damaging and result in less turn overs
Oh yeah, I agree with you there...but I don't miss Guerra, not sure how comparible they are either. Guerra is definately the better kick, but rarely under as much pressure, thanks to their excellent midfield. Gram looks shittier than he probably is, thanks to those ridiculous up-and-under nothing kicks to our forward line (rather, our opposition backline). But he's nearly as game-winner on a good day...look what he did to Jubb against Carlton late this year, do you think Guerra could do that?

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:
degruch wrote: Apples with apples kids. This started as a hypothetical, and is getting moreso by the moment, isn't it? We'll never know if Gram would be better than Guerra in the same position, so how can you compare the two?

Oh yeah, I agree with you there...but I don't miss Guerra, not sure how comparible they are either. Guerra is definately the better kick, but rarely under as much pressure, thanks to their excellent midfield. Gram looks shittier than he probably is, thanks to those ridiculous up-and-under nothing kicks to our forward line (rather, our opposition backline). But he's nearly as game-winner on a good day...look what he did to Jubb against Carlton late this year, do you think Guerra could do that?
Yep, bit I just wonder how much we are paying Gram compared to how much Hawthorn are paying Guerra...

and really I feel we have lost out BIG time IMO

Again, I would like to see the stats on just how many goals conceeded and how many goals assist re Gram V Guerra

having in mind that I feel we are paying more money for Gram than the Hawks are for Guerra

The_Merchant
Club Player

Why does everyone get so worked up about how much we are paying for players. Does it really matter? We are paying them as much as other teams are willing to pay to get them off us. Where did you get the previous stats on disposals, as Gram is averaging more than Guerra. As for goals conceded, it is pretty rare for Guerra to actually man up on a player, thus the number of disposals he gets.

If at first you don't succeed, sky diving is not for you.
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Hes prob laughing on hes high horse now he is in the grand final

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
SAINT JUMP
Club Player

cj has had a good season st f why why does everyone have to put shyte on him. pity some stars dont have his hunger.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

The_Merchant wrote:Why does everyone get so worked up about how much we are paying for players. Does it really matter? We are paying them as much as other teams are willing to pay to get them off us. Where did you get the previous stats on disposals, as Gram is averaging more than Guerra. As for goals conceded, it is pretty rare for Guerra to actually man up on a player, thus the number of disposals he gets.
Are you directing you post to me??

If so can you please quote me in future :idea:

My mistake ...

they both average the same disposals per match...

you say it pretty rare that Guerra mans up on a player, the same goes with Gram IMO

The kicking to position is the key and Guerra wins hands down IMO and provides more goals to the side the Gram IMO

Gram = more turn overs = goals to opposition

Guerra = more direct passes to the forwards which result in goals..and less turn overs

Gram would be paid far more than Guerra...

Win to Hawthorn IMO

We got rid of him for nothing