NOT GOOD ENOUGH

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Solar
Saintsational Legend

NOT GOOD ENOUGH

Lets not mince words, we are not good enough

We are so far away from a grand final it's not funny.

I'm gutted, I had such high hopes for this playing group.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: NOT GOOD ENOUGH

Solar wrote:Lets not mince words, we are not good enough

Agree our bottom 6 are no good and we have no middle 6 either. Lets face it we are 10 goals or 5-9 wins worse than the top 2.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Agree our bottom 6 are no good and we have no middle 6 either. Lets face it we are 10 goals or 5-9 wins worse than the top 2.
agreed

FQF
In richo I trust

Legendary
Club Player

We're closer to a grand final than we were a couple of years ago.

IMO we are genuinely the 4th best team in the AFL ... we beat everyone below us at least once, but only one side above us (Hawks, Rnd 16).

So we need to improve .... but we are starting from a good base. Games into the youngsters and working on our fitness and running, and we will be a top four contender again ...

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Reality is we have to many passengers.

1 player does not make a 10 goal smashing but how Fiora gets a game and why Birss hasnt had a game in the last 2mths has me stuffed....somethings not right there.

Unfortunately Hawks showed us up in the midfield as weak. Montagna, Gram, Dal Santo couldnt break tackles and give off like Mitchell/Lewis did time and again to us tonight.....we lack composure in close and really missed Luke Ball.

On a plus I thougth Raph Clarke showed signs again tonight - he may be allright Raph so hang in there.

Eddy tries hard and will get better for the experience but to go forward some tough calls have to be made.

I was actually very dissapointed in Gram tonight - he plays off his man and in a one on one is simply weak cant lay a tackle to save his life.

Your right Solar we are nowhere near a flag right now the hard question is what do you do to get there while we still have a core of Roo, Lenny, Ball, Goddard, Fisher,.......Ive deliberately left some out.....

We are in danger of hanging round 4-8 and sliding slowly all the while never really bridging the gap on the best sides and being a genuine threat.

Im starting to think we forget the Cousins talk and focus on developing some kids and bringing them through...yes it might lose us a year or two but Im not interested in hanging round no mans land.

“Yeah….nah””
battye
Saintsational Legend

We're not that far, we were one win from a grand final. I think we probably are about the 4th best team in the competition. However, I think the gap between 3 and 4 & 4 and 5 is quite large. We either need to get better next year, or hope that the top 3 teams become a lot worse. Personally, I'd like to see both happen, then we'll be right :)

I'm gutted because when we do get to a grand final, it will be without one R. Harvey :cry:

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Post of the f****** century!

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

battye wrote:

We're not that far, we were one win from a grand final. I think we probably are about the 4th best team in the competition. However, I think the gap between 3 and 4 & 4 and 5 is quite large. We either need to get better next year, or hope that the top 3 teams become a lot worse. Personally, I'd like to see both happen, then we'll be right :)

I'm gutted because when we do get to a grand final, it will be without one R. Harvey :cry:
I think you will find some sides overtaking us pretty quickly next year if we dont make some changes.

We are living off solo performances of elites like Roo, Max, Fisher etc and MUST go deeper and fast.

“Yeah….nah””
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

I would have thought that getting smashed by the top 2 teams by 20 odd goals shows that we are a bit away.

Hard decisions need to be made. Too many "B" graders who can't cut the mustard in finals.

We don't seem to e able to make tackles stick. Mind you, I like the way Hawks just went to ground before being tackled. very clever stuff.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
RodKeoghsLoveChild
Club Player

How can we be closer to a G/F than we were a few years ago??

Not only has our list aged, but we have lost Gehrig, Harvey, Hamill and if I could be bothered researching, probably a lot more since 2004.

If anything thinks we are heading forward is just delusional. Out of all our listed players only Armitage and Birss constantly put their hands up week in week out. Considering we just did the old Carlton trick of trying to get a few mid 20 year olds to hopefully pull out a flag this year which as totally backfired.

We have bugger all coming through and far too many similair players who lack skills and pace to really ever worry the top couple of teams.

As i said against Geelong, we wont even be in the finals for the next 5+ years, let alone vying for a flag.

Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

I think 4th is about where we are at...

When we can be so hot and cold we surely cannot expect more.

I still think that the group is a work in progress....If we can put together 22 weeks of a similar standard to the last half of 2008 then next year would be a good season.

We have some dead set passengers. Mentally fragile players who lack belief.

I wouldnt be surprised if we were trading some "big" names come trade week.....

If anyone wants them that is....

Dont despair too much.

2008 is a failure in my eyes as we did not win the flag. But we deserved to finish fourth. And won a final.

A long way ahead of last year. We improved, which is what we needed to do.

tonight was a horrible way to send off Banger....and I'm gutted. taking it personally.

I am more than happy to let the current coaches attempt to solve some of our issues.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

A question to you Raph lovers? Do you really think that any of the top sides would recruit him? Be honest.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

heres a question !! for all the dissapointment of tonight can we not just for once be happy we got as far as we did instead of talking about trading every player ??

we finnished fourth !! we played in a prelim and we won a finals game .... im sorry but had you offered that to me in round 6 i would of gladly taken it !!!

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Ross Strudwick

A very big dissapointment yes, but make no mistake, the rabble I wittnessed against the Lions 14 weeks ago bares no resemblence to the big stuff I've seen since. Extraordinary recovery, & Am very proud. Thank you Rob, Thank you so much.

Richter
SS Life Member

Crikey, there are a few sad sacks on this site.....

Yes, we're 10 goals or 4.5 wins from being a top 2 side. But we're better than 12 other sides too.

Next year the Hawks and Cats will again be leading the comp. On their heels......

Carlton - clearly on the improve - some quality mids + may recruit Kerr

Pies - only if they keep Didak and recruit Cousins - both of which are likely

Richmond - on the way up too, though they lack the quality of the Blues

Saints

half of our team are entering their prime age-wise (Fisher, Gram, Goddard, Dal, Ball, Roo, Kosi, Schneider, Montagna, Dempster) . Of the starting 22 today, Milne, King, Harves, Max and Lenny are of the older age group and are likely to be on the slide (or absent :( ) .

"Bottom 6" players like Gilbert and Raph have shown promising signs and we have a few that need to show a bit more - Gwilt, Eddy, Armitage, McQ, Allen, Geary, X (though due to injury), Maguire (ditto).

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Well that didn't take long - the whining and whinging is back!

How about we take a break and be happy this team went so deep into September and at least gave us and Harvey a bit of excitement and tension and regained respect over these last weeks.

No we weren't good enough in the end -like 14 other clubs - but we did alright!

Well done to the players - wasn't our night and the hawks played the better footy. But i've enjoyed this last month a hell of a lot more than last year, and most years that i've followed the club. Save the whining for later!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
SirDog
Club Player

The problem I see with St.Kilda is how long are we going to linger around the top 8 without winning a Grand Final? We saw this phenomenon in the 1990's where in that decade we made the finals four times (91/92/97/98) with no premiership flag. Now, so far, in this decade we have made the finals four times (04/05/06/08) and still no result. I can understand our fans being upset, as with St.Kilda there never seems to be a degree of certainty that they will win. They have become frightfully unpredictable due to reasons I read on these forums from underperforming A list players to passengers who would be otherwise be more suited in the VFL.

From a fan’s perspective, I don’t like saying that "we should" or "I hope we win this one" before every match as I do. I want to be able to confidently voice aloud that we’re going to roll that team today and it happens. Wouldn’t it be great that a Saint’s fan could be smug and comfortable knowing that champagne football is going to be played every round of the season? However, St.Kilda Football Club goes from heroes to villains and vice-versa in the space of four quarters, many times one cannot predict whether St.Kilda will win or lose and would have better odds at guessing heads or tails in a game of two-up.

And as a fan, I also feel disappointment for the die-hard loyal players that have been on St.Kilda’s list from day one and play their guts out for themselves, the fans and the club. Players like Winmar, Loewe, Burke, Thompson, Jones, Peckett, Harvey (*sigh*) et al, who all tasted finals footy but never got their hands on the Holy Grail. Do I have to watch Reiwoldt, Koschitzke, Fisher, Dal Santo etc endure the same fate? Just heart breaking.

I agree with the title of this thread (not necessarily the content), “It’s not good enoughâ€

St.Kilda fan - through and through.
Solar
Saintsational Legend

Saint Bev wrote:A question to you Raph lovers? Do you really think that any of the top sides would recruit him? Be honest.
yes

would be a gun in a geelong side. Created lots of run but had no numbers around him.

But thats ok, blame one of our top 3 players for the night for the loss.... :roll:

Seriously if I hear the s*** about raph once more at the football I will clock them. Hell raph would make a good tackle and the ball would fall free to gram and a guy behind me would yell out "keep your feet raph... well done grammy....'

Seriously it's like people look for the mistakes they want from certain players.....

Look at how dal, joey, gram, hell the whole midfield played.

Is kosi and gwilt good enough as a forward line?

CJ, eddy and armo also had shockers....

But no, have a pot shot at raph :roll:

FQF
In richo I trust

SaintWal
Club Player

2 out of the 3 finals Raph was in the best for us. Finals football is where you find out who is who in your team.

Raph showed me lots and happy that he will always be in our starting 22

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

We are the fourth best team in the competition.

We couldn't beat the Bulldogs twice and bothe Geelong and hawthorn showed us how far away we are as genuine contenders.

We have a good base to go forward but i hope this finals series has forever shut up the people who keep going on about or great list.

We have some young players coming through but the 8 will be challenged next season by the likes of Freo Richmond and Carlton.

We need to improve our midfield and in a hurry. We are pedestrian. I really think we need to find an experienced replacement for Harvey so I would be very keen on Cousins.

Some hard decisions will need to be made. Eddy Geary Birss McQualter.

Not midfield names to inspire fear in the hearts of opposition.

On the positive side we have two new "recruits" in Attard and hopefully Goose. Bally will be back and mabye Bakes. Bakes???? What to do with Bakes?

McEvoy will continue to get better and Jack Steven will be a player - I am sure.

However I am just not sure where our improvement will come from to challenge the Geelongs and Hawthorns of the world.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
fingers
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: I was actually very dissapointed in Gram tonight - he plays off his man and in a one on one is simply weak cant lay a tackle to save his life.
Conditioned by all his years playing basketball i reckon. Always zones a player rather than tackling them.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

agreed
agreed.

not enough depth

saint1974
Club Player

ditto

marksnsparks
Club Player

Jeez, we've had 4-5 weeks rest from the list cutters , but one loss and they are back!

The fact we have beaten the Dawks this year shows it's nothing to do with talent. RL's biggest job next year is to change what goes on between the ears of every St K player.

We are improving, but we are still mentally weak. Not enough effort and belief last night. We we're rolled well and truly by a team that simply wanted it more.

Maybe it's Morrabbin that's doing it. The sooner we move the better. Too many bad memories and continual failure. A fresh start in Frangers will allow us to write a fresh history of sucess.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

dude we beat the hawks because blake managed to run forward after rucking and snare three goals.
other than that we did F*** all in that game.
CJ's chase on duddy franklin was inspiring tho......