We need him

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Wolfpak
Club Player

We need him

For Stkilda to have any chance of winning a flag in the next few years, Ben Cousins must be in the red, white and black. He has proven how good he is and if we need to use our 1st round pick then we must, because he will be snapped up by another club. His age means nothing, can you imagine him lasting 5 years just like Robert Havey. He would be better than any young untried player we decide to draught.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Re: We need him

Wolfpak wrote:For Stkilda to have any chance of winning a flag in the next few years, Ben Cousins must be in the red, white and black. He has proven how good he is and if we need to use our 1st round pick then we must, because he will be snapped up by another club. His age means nothing, can you imagine him lasting 5 years just like Robert Havey. He would be better than any young untried player we decide to draught.
Good Afternoon Ricky !!

Richter
SS Life Member

Wolfpak wrote:He would be better than any young untried player we decide to draught.
I see him more as a thoroughbred than a draught horse...... :wink:

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:
Wolfpak wrote:He would be better than any young untried player we decide to draught.
We might be about to recruit a very thirsty young man who enjoys more than his fair share of Carlton Draught. Where's spelly when you need her? :roll: :lol: :wink:

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

I'm sick of Ben already :shock:

If anyone thought or thinks he will be anonymous in the BIG footy twon they can think agai .
there will be permanant helicopters ar moorabbin, or dendy or the beach.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
casey scorp
Club Player

Wolfpak wrote:For Stkilda to have any chance of winning a flag in the next few years, Ben Cousins must be in the red, white and black. He has proven how good he is and if we need to use our 1st round pick then we must, because he will be snapped up by another club. His age means nothing, can you imagine him lasting 5 years just like Robert Havey. He would be better than any young untried player we decide to draught.
Our first pick is pick 13. Historically, since 2000:

2007 – Brad Ebert (WC)
2006 – Jack Riewoldt (Rich)
2005 – Shannon Hurn (WC)
2004 – Mathew Bate (Melb)
2003 – Brent Stanton (Ess)
2002 – Byron Schammer (Freo)
2001 – Nick Dal Santo (St KFC)
2000 – Ashley McGrath (Bris)

If we get the chance to use it on BC, I reckon you’d have to seriously consider it. There is no guarantee that any player taken will be a star. They are all just kids who may or may not be a plodder, a reasonable player or a star. When you look at that list there aren’t too many stars.

Getting 3 or 4 years from BC would be a worthwhile IMO, even if we had to use pick 13 (which if we compare to some earlier decisions, we gave up the use of pick 6 for Barry Brooks and pick 17 for Fergus Watts).

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

casey scorp wrote:
Our first pick is pick 13. Historically, since 2000:

2007 – Brad Ebert (WC)
2006 – Jack Riewoldt (Rich)
2005 – Shannon Hurn (WC)
2004 – Mathew Bate (Melb)
2003 – Brent Stanton (Ess)
2002 – Byron Schammer (Freo)
2001 – Nick Dal Santo (St KFC)
2000 – Ashley McGrath (Bris)

If we get the chance to use it on BC, I reckon you’d have to seriously consider it. There is no guarantee that any player taken will be a star. They are all just kids who may or may not be a plodder, a reasonable player or a star. When you look at that list there aren’t too many stars.

Getting 3 or 4 years from BC would be a worthwhile IMO, even if we had to use pick 13 (which if we compare to some earlier decisions, we gave up the use of pick 6 for Barry Brooks and pick 17 for Fergus Watts).
No way we would even consider using selection 13 on Cousins. The risk of taking him is only worthy if it involves minimum cost. Not sure why you have used the list of previous pick 13's as an argument for taking Cousins with it, I'd say that all of them are at worst very decent players with the exception of Ash Mcgrath.

casey scorp
Club Player

SaintBot wrote:Not sure why you have used the list of previous pick 13's
Just to show the players who have been chosen with that pick for comparison purposes

SaintBot wrote:I'd say that all of them are at worst very decent players with the exception of Ash Mcgrath.
That may be so, but would you rather have BC for the next 3-4 years at the stage we are at, than one of those players as a young draft pick available for the next 10 years?

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

I think young players are a fine brew, myself.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

goodie
Club Player

casey scorp wrote:Just to show the players who have been chosen with that pick for comparison purposes
There is never a shortage of quality available at that pick, even if other clubs have historically ignored it in your opinion. In fact the best comparison would be when we picked up Dal in another so-called superdraft. He turned out a pretty okay pick.
casey scorp wrote:That may be so, but would you rather have BC for the next 3-4 years at the stage we are at, than one of those players as a young draft pick available for the next 10 years?
Cousins is just as much, if not more of a gamble than a kid. He's been out of the game for a while, and it's continued evolving in his absence.

Given we traded our second round pick, we need to make the first round count. Some very promising players will slide to our pick, and I would be most disappointed if we used our first rounder on Cousins at their expense.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:
i was going to say he was more a pale ale.

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

It would be a great membership drive to pick Cousins at 13.

People would buy memberships just so they could tear them up :D

(Little bit difficult with the plastic though)

goodie
Club Player

kosifantutti23 wrote:It would be a great membership drive to pick Cousins at 13.

People would buy memberships just so they could tear them up :D

(Little bit difficult with the plastic though)
Can always go down the credit card route and use scissors