Maguire

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Batnoe

Maguire

Pulled up very sore, i saw him hold his knee during the last quarter... no reports on it as yet?? Rumour has it he was in hospital last night?

Sobraz
SS Life Member

hopefully just general soreness after his first proper hitout after 18 months...

i dont think goose was that bad... threw himself around and looked ok with a few good possies... will take a while to get some consistency, and staying injury free is the most important factor with him..

i firmly believe he can be a solid first 18 contributor this year, and is very important to our structure....

On the Ball
Club Player

I know he's been out of it for a while but his decision making hasnt improved - when to go and when not to go. Cost us some goals, as did #16.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Thought he did everything asked of him for a first hit out

Could have been a hero had he held that diving mark near the end...far easier ones than that were dropped by both sides during the game though so cant blame him.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Re: Maguire

Batnoe wrote:Pulled up very sore, i saw him hold his knee during the last quarter... no reports on it as yet?? Rumour has it he was in hospital last night?
Hi Batnoe, hope you are feeling a bit better than when I last saw you :wink: From what we were told from St Kilda, Goose pulled up a bit sore, definately wasn't in hospital last night. Not sure why he wasn't at the function though.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

To be honest I have serious doubt over his future. He has been injury prone throughout his whole career and has only ever played truly good footy in patches of '04 and '05. The game has sped up, Goose has slowed down. Spoiling has become about height, closing speed and timing, whereas Goose used to just shove his opponent out of the way.

He's not tall enough, not athletic enough and not smart enough to be a quality defender in the modern game. He would have been an absolute star in the 90's, but I think he just doesn't have the qualities required today.

duckduckduckgoose
Club Player

hope he didn't pickup another injury last night, is very valuable to our team.

Regardless of what the 15 year old experts think.

I bought a shirt from Target once.
It had a hard tag on it too.

I know how Dal feels.
Longwayfromhome
Club Player

Not good enough at the moment for CHB. Give him a go at full forward for the next couple of practice games and see how he goes. God knows we need some one down there.

Leave your ego's in the locker when you start and pick them up again when you retire
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Just give him a chance to prove himself either way, I do think people over react by saying he is injury prone, as all the injuries he has sustained have come from the same incident, not seperate issues.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

On the Ball wrote:I know he's been out of it for a while but his decision making hasnt improved - when to go and when not to go. Cost us some goals, as did #16.

Funny that - Looked as if he hadn't played a game of football for a couple of years.

Gets some sense moron.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

It is disgusting he wasnt best on the ground in about his 10th game in 3 years. Get rid of him. He isnt up to it.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Should have been traded when he broke his leg. What was Lyon thinking?

It's a make or break year for him. Needs to step up and show something resembling his true potenial upside IMO.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Thomas knew what Goose's shortcomings were...

Wasn't fussed to air them either in his role on SEN..

I hope the Goose can make it back,if not as a defender then as a Forward.

He seems to give away too many Free kicks in the few games he has managed since he broke his pin....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
saintbob
SS Life Member

bobmurray wrote:Thomas knew what Goose's shortcomings were...

Wasn't fussed to air them either in his role on SEN..

I hope the Goose can make it back,if not as a defender then as a Forward.

He seems to give away too many Free kicks in the few games he has managed since he broke his pin....
Didn't catch GT's comments, can you fill me in????

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

i wouldn't be writing goose off even though it's a long road back from where he's been.

i think people tend to forget just how good he was pre-injuries and how important he was to our structure.

his 2004-2005 form as a 19/20 year old was inspirational and a largely overlooked factor in our rise from obscurity to one of the better teams in the competition.

if he can, by some miracle, recapture those days we'll look like a different team. the reason: he makes the guys around him walk taller.

he's not the dour, close-checking defensive type of a backman though.

he's the barnstorming physical type who, at his best, is capable of dominating the air across half back like riewoldt does at the other end.

centre half back's his best position, but i wouldn't be surprised to see him make an impact as a forward, either. he's certainly strong enough in the air and his kicking's not as bad as some would have you believe.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I hope for his sake Maguire can get back to something of consistent football as a genuine contrbutor.

Whats concerns me is the short memories of people who have him down as some sort of CHB superstar. Injuries aside Maguire was struggling previously and must have been close to being sent to the 2's for a long stretch of no form. Yes he has played a patch of goof footy also but lets not make out hes something he aint.

I dont like Thomas. He is right on Maguire though. He has the turning circle of the Queen Mary, runs with any speed in straight lines only and looks good on the burst when hes able to 'bomb' long into fwd 50.....but hes never been the smart, set up play type nor has he been blessed as a great spoiler of any note.

Id love him to get back and maybe a shot up fwd is what he needs - he may be able to use his strength/marking ability but i too do fear the game has gone by him.

“Yeah….nah””
4ever_saint
Club Player

I'm pretty sure GT used to sing the praises of Maguire back when he was at his best and his contradictory statements recently just show that he has become too arrogant and bitter to be an un-bias sports commentator.

Maguire has had nearly every season since his debut interrupted by injruy. If it wasnt his broken leg/foot, it was OP or general soreness- and yet he somehow managed to contest for All Australian back when. I think a lot of St Kilda fans expect him to slot back into where he was before the broken leg, but as he has continually proved, that doesnt seem possible. I think, in the end, we have to admire his perseverence and determination and accept whatever he becomes this year (if he's not struck down by a mysterious injury in hopsital :roll:) without constantly comparing him to what he used to be. When he was at his best, the game was different. He was great at a game that doesn't really exist anymore. Right now, the game depends more on speed and reading the play rather than everyone sticking to their positions and doing what they're told.

Though Maguire hasn't played properly in 3 years, his gaining confidence last night seems to suggest that he will have a place in the side this year and perhaps even do great things (if he can stay fit). Everyone is so quick to judge his performance when there were a lot of players who did worse than him last night. Some who barely touched the ball. I don't know what game everybody else was watching, but the game I watched seemed to show that Maguire actually made a positive impact on our lackluster performance.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:Just give him a chance to prove himself either way, I do think people over react by saying he is injury prone, as all the injuries he has sustained have come from the same incident, not seperate issues.
He was often injured before the broken leg. Missed chunks of '04 and '05 with OP and other issues

jay young
Club Player

hes just not a solid defender too many mistakes even before injury .backline will be upset with him there . backline should be l fisher s fisher gram goddard hughton (probation r clarke) dempster s gilbert. Keep goose out, the night hall roughed him up he went to peices sorry but hes inconsistent . hows my spelling ralphysaint i know your out there

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

4ever_saint wrote:the game I watched seemed to show that Maguire actually made a positive impact on our lackluster performance.
agree.

he made a couple of mistakes, but the only players who don't make them are the ones who don't attempt anything ... and we have too many of those already.

raph's a similar case.

people tend to mark him down for errors and overlook the positives, of which there are many.

it's a long road back for goose, but if he can somehow bring it off it will be a massive positive for our season.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Too funny...

GT... pfft! Gt is all about GT, so take anyhting he says with a pinch of salt. The same man who swore that the club went through the "process" before he got the job. :roll:

Anyway, back to Goose. Played some great footy, and p provided great run and kicked the odd goal, and IIRC the great man manager was rapt that he did so.

Then in all their wisdom, they bulked him up into a Gorilla and he slowed down... then had to drop some weight before he found his speed and form again.

He'll be fine IMO. Apart from his fitness, there are 2 factors in play:

1: Finding the right position for him within the current structure

2: His ability to play accordingly if required to change his style.

Funny how people pidgeon hole players.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
Whats concerns me is the short memories of people who have him down as some sort of CHB superstar. Injuries aside Maguire was struggling previously and must have been close to being sent to the 2's for a long stretch of no form. Yes he has played a patch of goof footy also but lets not make out hes something he aint.
That's funny.

Short memories??

Injuries aside??

Goose had OP in 04. Was the best CHB in the comp by a stretch, and was very quick.

His OP crippled him, and our drop in form in the back half of 04 was a direct result of that.

In 05, our increase in form coincided with Maguire getting fit after his OP the year before. Then he did his hip in the R21 game against Freo.

He was about 40% fit in the prelim against the Swans.

Then in 06 he was still unfit and overcoming injuries - then he busted his leg.

Short memories indeed.

The facts are Goose was a superstar CHB. The other facts are that he wasn't able to maintain that form for more than half a year due to injury.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote: Then in all their wisdom, they bulked him up into a Gorilla and he slowed down... then had to drop some weight before he found his speed and form again.
That's simply not true.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote:
WayneJudson42 wrote: Then in all their wisdom, they bulked him up into a Gorilla and he slowed down... then had to drop some weight before he found his speed and form again.
That's simply not true.
Cannot recall exactly which year but he had a slow start and was out of form. He admitted that he had to drop a few k's

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:Goose had OP in 04. Was the best CHB in the comp by a stretch, and was very quick.

His OP crippled him, and our drop in form in the back half of 04 was a direct result of that.

In 05, our increase in form coincided with Maguire getting fit after his OP the year before. Then he did his hip in the R21 game against Freo.

He was about 40% fit in the prelim against the Swans.

Then in 06 he was still unfit and overcoming injuries - then he busted his leg.

Short memories indeed.

The facts are Goose was a superstar CHB. The other facts are that he wasn't able to maintain that form for more than half a year due to injury.
that's how i see it, too, rf. well said.