The Fox Report - Round 4

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

The Fox Report - Round 4

Well, who would have thought footy could generate such a lack of excitement - even when the Saints win?!

I could.

Footy is a tad boring these days. Once you're a legit contender, and you realise you're capable of winning the flag, the gap between R4 and September seems like an eternity. It's kinda like half time at the footy. There'a a bit of stuff happening on the ground during the break, but you just can't get interested in it. You're just waiting for them run back onto the ground.

Especially when you play a team like Freo. I think our boys were a bit bored too after a while.
It was like a dog chasing a cat. If the cat runs, the dog chases it with great enthusiasm. But if the cat just sits there, the dog stamps his feet and huffs and puffs and eventually gets bored and walks off.

Freo didn't run. They just sat there. The game was over in the first 6 minutes.

I think this is what will make us an interesting team to watch when we reach September. I think now we seem to relish the challenge. We like the cat to run so we can stalk it down and tear it up.
Come finals time, we'll have plenty of opportunity to come up against good teams that will give us a challenge. If we keep this up for another 4 months then this upcoming finals series could be one of the good ones.

Until then though, footy is as boring as batshiit.

There's a thread on here about 'why isn't anyone posting' on here. I think it's simply because the AFL is pretty dull. The passion that gets people excited enough to rave about their club on a footy forum doesn't exist like it used to.

It's a strange situation really. The club has done incredibly well to keep a low profile. Cost themselves money and members in the process, but I believe this has resulted in better on-field performance and focus.
The issue is that the lack of profile now means that even though we're winning - no one really seems to care that much.

Still, on this site, more discussion is made over Grant Thomas breaking wind at the breakfast table or whether or not I watched the game last week than the fact that we've bounced out of the blocks for the first time since 2004.
For the biggest Saints site in the world, that says something I think.

So back to the game.....

Boooooring.

Riewoldt was pretty good.

Kosi is hurt again.

Joey is the key for us. Carries the ball, kicks long, likes a goal. That's the type of player that not all clubs have. He's also the type of player that will run riot when he gets the 3rd or 4th best tag. And if the opposition is smart and gives him the best or 2nd best tag, Dal, Lenny or Bally get a dud. Joey is critical.

Good to see Dal finally grow up. He's had good months before though. The real test will be to see how long he can maintain his form for.

Two good GT recruits in Sam Fisher and Sam Gilbert are making a very big difference this year. Having Gram and BJ as on-ball options is obviously significant.

Just a quick mention of the 'boys becoming men' thing. I saw Stephen Milne the other night at a Danny Bhoy show. He's nowhere near as small as I thought he was. I'm just over 6ft 1, and Milney wasn't much shorter than me.
He's also not the skinny kid he once was. Pretty well built guy these days.

He's a man. Joey is the same. Gilbo and BJ ditto. They play like it now. Above the shoulders too. Very important, and also explains the change in Milney's game. He's much more physical now, and would quite simply monster a little immature back pocket. He needs someone with pace, skill and strength to go with him now.

That's something our group hasn't had across the board until now.

Also want to talk about Goose a bit. Gee it was good to see him strutting around the half back line last week. He's a bully. And it's great.
Took 12 grabs, used the ball calmly and coolly and really 'marshalled' the backline. He still was a split second or so off in his timing, but I reckon the Goose is back in town. Another month and I think we'll see the best CHB in the comp back in the red, white and black and strutting around the back half of the Dome.

Who else hates the fact that Port have bashed us up for the past decade?

I do. It sickens me.

We've been shiit scared of them. They know it too.

I wonder if we still are?

ThePunter
Club Player

I agree with almost everything you have written there Rodger.

The St Kilda list is now mature, and while the 22 were only, on average, 10 months older than their opponents on Saturday night, you could see the difference. Blake, Jones, McQualter & Gwilt are all better and more consistent. Geary & Ray are tough. Dal Santo, Hayes, Goddard, Gram and Montagna are a mature midfield. King and Gardiner are cagey veterans. Gilbert and S Fisher are great rebounding defenders.

Fremantle were the worst I have ever seen on Saturday night. In the end we didn't even need to pressure them to turn the ball over.

To a certain extent, the lid will be off if we win Friday night. National TV, holiday weekend (except in Victoria :x ) Port Adelaide going well. Shame there won't be 25,000 at the game, though.

asiu

nuh....we're not scared of em

agreed, the game was boring......a training run (without precision)

bring em on .....lets have a real go

yipper
SS Life Member

Interesting question Rodg - "are we scared of them?? " They have certainly worked us over physically in some of the previous games, identifying that lack of mental toughness and physical maturity before this year. But, for the first time - I think we are actually ready to play these types of games now. We have a more even spread of physically mature men across the team rather than relying on a Hamill, Powell etc.

It will be the first real sign we are ready if we can get over what the Power will try and do again to us!!

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Fox Report - Round 4

rodgerfox wrote: Who else hates the fact that Port have bashed us up for the past decade?

I do. It sickens me.

Me.

Losing to them became a habit and it appeared - to the casual observer - that some players were intimidated by the Port players and that set the tone for several of the losses..

The confidence that comes from winning can be a two-edged sword, the Freo result was wonderful but it's near impossible to gauge how well our team is travelling owing to Freo's appalling effort.

aussiejones
Club Player

Scared no ....but be wary of them as they are playing well.

It will be tough from beginning to end . I wouldnt be surprised if we get a fright ..but win. A good test for up coming weeks .

markp
Saintsational Legend

I enjoyed the Freo game.... I hope every game this year is that 'boring'.

But as it stands I don't think I'd want to be playing anyone but Port at football park on friday night.... cant wait!

And yep it is surprising to gauge how big even the 'smaller' players are when you stand next to one of them, even Aussie Jones and Bakes are bigger than you think.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Another good read Rodger, some good observations and only a little bit of bait in there...should be interesting to see how many nibbles you get.

Players are surprising in their size, Luke Ball surprised me, he's alot bigger standing next to than he appears on the field. I guess that's an indication of the size of the players he's up against.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

I have to confess that the lure of September kinda has me just counting down the days until then. We're a contender, we know it, etc. But will we win it? Seems like everything is just building to that moment.

However, what I am enjoying is the way we're playing our footy. It's exciting. Entertaining. Stifling in defence, quick on the attack. Last year was much, much worse

Saturday night wasn't the finest we've ever played offensively but I still enjoyed it all the same.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

evertonfc wrote:I have to confess that the lure of September kinda has me just counting down the days until then. We're a contender, we know it, etc. But will we win it? Seems like everything is just building to that moment.

However, what I am enjoying is the way we're playing our footy. It's exciting. Entertaining. Stifling in defence, quick on the attack. Last year was much, much worse

Saturday night wasn't the finest we've ever played offensively but I still enjoyed it all the same.
Boy I hope we are all not getting a little ahead of ourselves.

Sorry but I have the memories of 78,89,98,04 lingering strongly in my memory.

Let us get to say 13/5 with few injuries and then start getting bullish.

Until then lid here is nice and snug. that does not mean I don't enjoy the wins.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote:
evertonfc wrote:I have to confess that the lure of September kinda has me just counting down the days until then. We're a contender, we know it, etc. But will we win it? Seems like everything is just building to that moment.

Until then lid here is nice and snug. that does not mean I don't enjoy the wins.
Perhaps a wee bit too pessimistic (but, in some ways, a bit too optimistic).

Barring severe injuries or a major form slump, we are "London to a brick on" to get as far as a PF. 11 of the 15 other teams (Richmond, Freo, WCE, Demons, Kangas, Swans, Crows, Lions, Bombers, Blues and Pies) are all a few paces (or more) behind us IMO.

The Bulldogs and Port are equally talented to us (although Port appear to be too inconsistent in the home and away part of the season to be likely to finish in the top 4). Hawthorn are slightly better, but I would back us to beat them on our day.

The problem for us is that Geelong just look to be streets ahead of us ATM. So, while I'm confident about making the top 4 (and would happily take short odds on our getting to 13/5), I won't feel even slightly "bullish" until after I have seen us show something against the Cats. Because - and I'm sorry to have to say this - I wouldn't back our current team in its current form to get within 6 goals of the Cats in a GF or PF.

The Cats had an off game against the Hawks in last year's GF, but if we had somehow managed to get through to the GF instead of the Hawks, Geelong still played well enough to have been certain to have wiped the floor with us.

The Cats have been evolving into one of the all time great AFL teams for 6-7 years now. Our point of difference that meant that we used to beat them more often that not used to be that we had a much stronger and more reliable forward line (Gehrig, Riewoldt, Hamill and Milne). I still think our forward line is marginally better than theirs, but not enough so to compensate for their clearly superior midfield and backline.

Realistically, something is going to have to go badly wrong (as it did in last year's GF) to stop the Cats winning another flag in 2009. And I really believe that the Cats would need to play significantly worse than they did in last year's GF to allow us to beat them.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
terry smith rules
SS Life Member

terry smith rules wrote:

I should add 93 as well, when we won at Vic Park then we had an issue with Nicky and that was the end of that

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

meher baba wrote:
The Cats had an off game against the Hawks in last year's GF, but if we had somehow managed to get through to the GF instead of the Hawks, Geelong still played well enough to have been certain to have wiped the floor with us.

The Cats have been evolving into one of the all time great AFL teams for 6-7 years now. I still think our forward line is marginally better than theirs, but not enough so to compensate for their clearly superior midfield and backline.
I doubt that the way the Cats played in last years GF would have seen them wipe the floor with us. Their conversion was crap and the body language wasn't great after the first quarter.

I also don't think that having won one flag makes them an all time great. They can play some awesome footy on their day, and have a real quality list with some shortcomings, but it's not exactly greatness to bully the also rans in the H & A season then fold like a house of cards when it counts!

I would also contend that our backline is as good as theirs, and statistics in the latter half of last year and so far this year would support me. They have bigger names on paper, but as a unit our back six are at least as effective. Their midfield is their clear leader in terms of quality and depth, their forward line is only so so, particularly if they were to lose Johnson to injury. Their ruck stocks aren't anything to write home about, and their back half is very good. In fact if they don't win this years flag I think they will have underperformed and rank alongside the Essendon team of 2000.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Fox Report - Round 4

rodgerfox wrote: Two good GT recruits in Sam Fisher and Sam Gilbert are making a very big difference this year.
Why is it relevant who the coach was when players were recruited?

From now on, will you be makinig reference to the coach of West Coast when they recruited Michael Gardiner if you mention Gardy in a post?

It has about as much relevance! Perhaps whenever you mention Max from now on you should refer to him as a Stan Alves recruit? Maybe Rooey as an MB recruit?

IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

I suspect Roger the Dodger is quietly trying to get a rise out of those who like nothing better than an afternoon playing Thomas vs Lyon...

markp
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote:Another good read Rodger, some good observations and only a little bit of bait in there...should be interesting to see how many nibbles you get.
True Believer wrote:
rodgerfox wrote: Two good GT recruits in Sam Fisher and Sam Gilbert are making a very big difference this year.
Why is it relevant who the coach was when players were recruited?

From now on, will you be makinig reference to the coach of West Coast when they recruited Michael Gardiner if you mention Gardy in a post?

It has about as much relevance! Perhaps whenever you mention Max from now on you should refer to him as a Stan Alves recruit? Maybe Rooey as an MB recruit?
Save 4 pages, and just don't bite.....

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend

MarkP I tried not to bite. My post count has been almost non-existent for the past 2 years bdue to bullshyte like this - why is crap like this necessary from some people? Why is it so difficult for some people to conduct a half decent discussion without resorting to blatant schoolyard crap? It really just gives me the shytes, ruins was used to be a really fun place, and ol Rodger the dodger is about the worst offender.

Sorry - had to vent that for some reason. I acan only guess I am still pissed with pseudo supporters. Like the tools behind us Saturday night that wore Saints colours but did nothing but criticise our players from the first bounce. Given that 25 minutes in Freo hadn't looked like scoring and we were doing as we pleased, it seemed beyond belief to me and I ended up having to say something. People who seem unable to glean joy from anything don't bother me, but when they compensate by trying to suck the joy out of it for others it bugs me.

markp
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:MarkP I tried not to bite. My post count has been almost non-existent for the past 2 years bdue to bullshyte like this - why is crap like this necessary from some people? Why is it so difficult for some people to conduct a half decent discussion without resorting to blatant schoolyard crap? It really just gives me the shytes, ruins was used to be a really fun place, and ol Rodger the dodger is about the worst offender.

Sorry - had to vent that for some reason. I acan only guess I am still pissed with pseudo supporters. Like the tools behind us Saturday night that wore Saints colours but did nothing but criticise our players from the first bounce. Given that 25 minutes in Freo hadn't looked like scoring and we were doing as we pleased, it seemed beyond belief to me and I ended up having to say something. People who seem unable to glean joy from anything don't bother me, but when they compensate by trying to suck the joy out of it for others it bugs me.
All good, I totally agree.... but we shouldn't let some peoples inability to enjoy tarnish our enjoyment, even if they try.

The dogs may bark, but the caravan moves on, as PK would say..... and the best thing to do to a road rager is smile and wave, they hate it!

Meanwhile... bring on Port, I'm so pumped! :twisted:

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:I doubt that the way the Cats played in last years GF would have seen them wipe the floor with us. Their conversion was crap and the body language wasn't great after the first quarter.

I also don't think that having won one flag makes them an all time great. They can play some awesome footy on their day, and have a real quality list with some shortcomings, but it's not exactly greatness to bully the also rans in the H & A season then fold like a house of cards when it counts!

I would also contend that our backline is as good as theirs, and statistics in the latter half of last year and so far this year would support me. They have bigger names on paper, but as a unit our back six are at least as effective. Their midfield is their clear leader in terms of quality and depth, their forward line is only so so, particularly if they were to lose Johnson to injury. Their ruck stocks aren't anything to write home about, and their back half is very good. In fact if they don't win this years flag I think they will have underperformed and rank alongside the Essendon team of 2000.
I agree that the ruck area and their forward line are their weak areas. It was these areas that principally let them down on GF day last year. In fact, I think their forward line has been consistently so weak that I would almost see 2007 as a case of them overperforming for a season!!

I'm not sure that I agree that our back six is close to being the equal of theirs. The Geelong back six has done well so far this year (against, let's face it, a much stronger bunch of teams that the four that we have played so far) without Harley.

I agree that they need to win again this year to be considered a truly great team. But, gee, they are an extremely good chance to do so, don't you think?

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

meher baba wrote:The Geelong back six has done well so far this year (against, let's face it, a much stronger bunch of teams that the four that we have played so far) without Harley.
Hawthorn, Collingwood and Richmond are much better sides than Sydney, West Coast and Fremantle?

Not on their win/loss ratios.

yipper
SS Life Member

InkerSaint wrote:
meher baba wrote:The Geelong back six has done well so far this year (against, let's face it, a much stronger bunch of teams that the four that we have played so far) without Harley.
Hawthorn, Collingwood and Richmond are much better sides than Sydney, West Coast and Fremantle?

Not on their win/loss ratios.
Have to say on current form we have played the better teams thus far!!

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

WTF people? Even thoguh we have a 4 - 0 record so far, you think we are shoe in for finals and the rest of the season is just a bore till we get there? haha, you deluded fools. We are not yet gaurenteed finals by a long shot. To be real serious we need top 4, and that is a LONG way off. Where is your grip on reality?

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:MarkP I tried not to bite. My post count has been almost non-existent for the past 2 years bdue to bullshyte like this - why is crap like this necessary from some people? Why is it so difficult for some people to conduct a half decent discussion without resorting to blatant schoolyard crap? It really just gives me the shytes, ruins was used to be a really fun place, and ol Rodger the dodger is about the worst offender.

I'd probably say that the difference is when I mention the letters 'GT' I don't really think much of it.

Quite simply, they are two defenders who came to the club under GT with very little hype about them - and they are now playing very good footy.

If people get upset by that, then I'd say they have the problem - not me.

Fair dinkum, time to get over it.

the shadow
Club Player

OK RF I'll bite. I know you're being a bit mischevious, but the selections of Gilbo and Sam Fisher were purely John Beveridge's good work. GT told us as much recently, when he stated he was responsible for player trades and JB was responsible for drafting. I suspect you already know that and you're just having a bit of fun.

BTW why do you seem to get so much enjoyment out of the sport of baiting others about our two-faced, narcissistic, premiership costing, controlling wanker , GT? I know I've been sucked in here myself, but whenever that incompetent loser gets a leg up, I feel the rest of us need to inform the public of the truth about him.

I've had the misfortune of cleaning up a couple of GT corporate train wrecks (In the way he's handled people) and I think you'll find his record is the same wherever he's gone. He's never been welcomed back to anywhere he's been in the corporate world. Remember it's been three years since he's been sacked and his attempts to re-enter the corporate world were met with utter indifference. He's been working for himself (Although he's always done that) out of necessity, not choice. One of my friends who owns a large finance and investment company was approached by GT for a $400K a year senior executive job. My friend turned him down. When I asked him why, he said, "Would you pay that man $400K to run your business? I wouldn't pay him $400."

SEN and Footy Classified seem to be the only places to give him a shot. Don't worry, he'll shoot himself in the foot eventually. Just as he has everywhere else he's been. If your feelings for him are genuine, then I do admire your loyalty. I reckon you're a bit smarter than that and you just enjoy the baiting. What do you think RF?

Run like Ditterich, arms flailing, cause fear in the enemy, make fellow saints walk tall!
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:WTF people? Even thoguh we have a 4 - 0 record so far, you think we are shoe in for finals and the rest of the season is just a bore till we get there? haha, you deluded fools. We are not yet gaurenteed finals by a long shot. To be real serious we need top 4, and that is a LONG way off. Where is your grip on reality?
It's not that we're a shoe in, it's that we've shown we are well and truly capable.

A top 4 finish last year, followed by a 4-0 start this year.

We're a contender.

When you're a contender, you really areonly interested in winning flags. Winning games each week is pleasant, but not enough to excite.

So if you know you're a contender, and don't get aroused by mere H&A wins, the games in between May and September are really just filling up space.

There's only 3 or 4 teams each year that can win it. You know who they are after 2 months. In some seasons, you know within 1 month.

We already know who these teams are - Geelong. Hawthorn. Us.

How does the song go? Wake me up, when September comes.