Johnson - will he get to chase Gram all day?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint08
Club Player

Johnson - will he get to chase Gram all day?

I just wonder if we should play Gram on Johnson. Johnson may kick 2 if he is well held, or 5 if not...but what would he do if Gram is played on him ? Would he be happy to chase Gram all day ?

Just a different approach , than trying to negate Johnson.

Ross has done this sort of thing before in midfield matchups.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Re: Johnson - will he get to chase Gram all day?

saint08 wrote:I just wonder if we should play Gram on Johnson. Johnson may kick 2 if he is well held, or 5 if not...but what would he do if Gram is played on him ? Would he be happy to chase Gram all day ?

It's not beyond the realm of possibility.

I'd suspect we might go with Baker. Few players can unsettle Johnson these days, but Bakes needs a scalp, it's a big challenge but one he'd love to take, especially since he made a good return to form on the weekend.

Usually Baker has taken Ablett - with great success - but I'd rather Jones for that and Baker for this.

I'd try to keep Gram free at all costs. Yes, he's a little reckless going forward, but we're extremely hard to defend against when the ball is coming in at speed.

I'm usually 100% for skill but we do tend to score quite heavily when we get the ball in there quickly. I suppose it comes down to whether Geelong flood back. If they do, we need precision passing inside our 50, but if our forward line is open, we could cause a lot more damage by getting it in as quickly and as deep as possible.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saint08 wrote:I just wonder if we should play Gram on Johnson. Johnson may kick 2 if he is well held, or 5 if not...but what would he do if Gram is played on him ? Would he be happy to chase Gram all day ?

That will not happen. Firstly we lose his run and secondly he would get badly beaten.

super dooper
Club Player

Perhaps Gilbert would be a better match for Stevie J - got the agility and has the balls to take the game on and can lay a tackle. Or perhaps even bring Dempster in for his defensive efforts to replace bakes in the team.

Bakes is far too slow these days (pains me to say it)

Gram cannot defend to save himself IMHO and he'd be the last person i'd put on him.

I think C.Mooney looms as more of a threat due to the structual importance he plays in straightening them up when delivering to forward line to create a contest.

Zach attack to Hawkins.

gosaints
Club Player

evertonfc wrote: I'd suspect we might go with Baker. Few players can unsettle Johnson these days, but Bakes needs a scalp, it's a big challenge but one he'd love to take, especially since he made a good return to form on the weekend.

Usually Baker has taken Ablett - with great success - but I'd rather Jones for that and Baker for this.
Geez I hope not... Bakes was getting easily outmarked by Eddie Betts, he would get killed in the air by Johnson. I love Bakes but he just doesn't have the tools to play on guys like this. He should get Stokes or Varcoe and someone like Gilbert or Fisher should get Johnson.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

been thinking about this match up a lot
i agree
SJ would be too agile
maybe a gilbert to hurt him on the rebound

bozza1980
Club Player

If Max is fit he might go to Johnson, with Zac going to the big hairy cat.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Surely Gilbert is the only one with the athleticism to not only stay with SJ but to work a little bit creatively off him. For all SJ's amazing brilliance (he is an absolute freak) the one area he perhaps lets himself down is his effort once the ball spills free in the contest...Gilbert could be really effective if SJ plays him a little loose.

To be honest, I am even a little bit encouraged by a few of of the Cats' lack of second and third efforts (even Gablett can be a tad lazy). That said I suppose there's nothing like a blockbuster to change all that quick smart...

TassieJones
Club Player

Gram would get 25-30 touches and SJ would get 4-8 goals and probably a heap of goal assists. Which one would be more valuable? Unless Gram's kicking is absolutely spot on, it'll be Johnson. Novel approach, but Johnson's far too damaging a player to not attempt to negate imo.

Someone like Gilbert or Fisher who could actually shut him down whilst working the other way would be a better option, and if he starts getting too dangerous I'd trust Max to put a stop to him.

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Id rather he get none. Give em bloody nothing

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

I expect it will be one of Max, Fisher, Gilbo, or Dempster, with the latter also being an option for Chapman, with Bakes to take whoever is smallest. I don't see a good match-up for Blake anywhere.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.