Saints look to extend Lyon's contract

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Saints look to extend Lyon's contract

Greg Denham | July 21, 2009
Article from: The Australian

UNDEFEATED St Kilda coach Ross Lyon is set to be rewarded this year with an upgraded contract extension following the club's rapid rise in toppling Geelong as the competition's benchmark.

Saints chief executive Michael Nettlefold yesterday would not be specific about any new approach to Lyon, who comes out of contract at the end of next year.

But it is understood plans are being put in place to retain him at Moorabbin long term, though no specific time line has been mentioned to Lyon or his management.

Nettlefold stressed that Lyon's contractual position had not yet been discussed by the board, but he had a "personal view" on retaining him beyond his current contract.

"Ross has another 12 months to go and we would like to believe he'll be at the club for a period of time, though any extension would ultimately be a matter for the board to decide," Nettlefold said.

"Ross is a coach of real standing. He's extremely professional and a valued member of our executive structure. The St Kilda Football Club needs to have continuity and stability going forward with a single purpose in mind."

A new contract for Lyon is not considered a priority at the moment by the Saints as they prepare for the last six rounds of the season before a serious finals campaign, but it is understood a new deal could be completed after the season.

"We need to keep this group together and Ross is one of a number of critical components," Nettlefold said.

Following stints as assistant coach at Richmond, Carlton and Sydney since his playing days, Lyon was given an initial three-year contract at the end of 2006 to replace Grant Thomas.

After two seasons, a winning ratio of 54 per cent and a preliminary final appearance in his second year, directors acknowledged his effort with a new two-year extension that superseded the third year of his initial deal and secured him until the end of 2010.

This year, with a club record 16 successive wins and a top-of-the-ladder position two games and percentage clear of the Cats, Lyon's success rate has reached an amazing 66 per cent.

Former Richmond and Western Bulldogs coach Terry Wallace, commenting after the Saints demolished Adelaide on Sunday, described St Kilda as the best pressure team offensively and defensively he has seen in his 30 years in the AFL.

Adelaide coach Neil Craig, following the 57-point loss, his first defeat for eight rounds, described the Saints as being the league's new benchmark.

After his latest victory, Lyon hinted his club could be vulnerable on Saturday night against the third-placed Western Bulldogs at Etihad Stadium because of its six-day break compared to the eight days the Dogs have between games.

While Lyon's future is in the process of being secured, negotiations are under way to retain out-of-form midfielder Luke Ball, who will be out of contract at the end of the season.

Ball is among the 16 highest-paid players in the competition, but will have to take a substantial pay cut if he is to remain at Moorabbin where he is a required player.

However, his drop in form in recent weeks, which prompted the club to axe him last weekend for the first time, will provide him with few bargaining chips when contract negotiations get serious over the next few weeks.

After just nine possessions from his 59 per cent of game time against West Coast in Perth in round 15, Ball was replaced in the 22 against the Crows by Adam Schneider, who kicked two goals in his 15 disposals on Sunday when given slightly less than 80 per cent of game time after being given the previous weekend off.

Because St Kilda's VFL affiliate club had a bye last weekend, Ball is unlikely to be recalled against the Bulldogs.

Injury prone Matt Maguire is another who comes out of contract at the end of the season, and he is also required, especially with veteran defender Max Hudghton having announced his intention to retire this year.

Maguire has been sitting on 99 senior games since round seven last year due to a foot stress fracture, and has played exclusively in the VFL this season as both a forward and defender.

Lyon has promised Maguire he will reach his 100-game milestone during this season's home-and-away series.

saintlee
Club Player

Bit of an odd article....says we will extend Lyon's contract, but nothing further will happen with this until the end of the year....so whats newsworthy about this then? Its hardly immenent...........still good show of faith I suppose....

markp
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints look to extend Lyon's contract

st.byron wrote:Former Richmond and Western Bulldogs coach Terry Wallace, commenting after the Saints demolished Adelaide on Sunday, described St Kilda as the best pressure team offensively and defensively he has seen in his 30 years in the AFL.
Love it...... hopefully Lyon will be a 10+ year (and multiple Premiership) coach for us.

Joffa 5
Club Player

markp wrote:
Love it...... hopefully Lyon will be a 10+ year (and multiple Premiership) coach for us.
+1

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

It would be nice to have a long term coach for a change. Apart from Allan Jeans we have had a coach go past 6 years. Hopefully Lyon will change that.

Sunday Red
Club Player

I can't believe no one has picked up the other main line in this article :shock:

yipper
SS Life Member

Sunday Red wrote:I can't believe no one has picked up the other main line in this article :shock:
That goose has been assured he will play in the seniors before the year is out?? Yeah, got that 8-)

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Sunday Red wrote:I can't believe no one has picked up the other main line in this article :shock:
Also the observation that Bally is one of the top 16 salary earners in the comp, is out of contract at the end of the year and he will have to take a pay cut to be offered a new deal.

sainta
Club Player

Is it the one about Max Hudghton announcing his retirement at the end of this season? If so, I was unaware of that!

matrix
Saintsational Legend

i was surprised about the top 16 wage earners.
750 thou+ is lot of money

markp
Saintsational Legend

*Says Greg Denham.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

good point

Sunday Red
Club Player

sainta wrote:Is it the one about Max Hudghton announcing his retirement at the end of this season? If so, I was unaware of that!
Yeah.

Nothing has been said by the club. Usually journalists say "it's believed that Hudghton will retire" or "it's expected that Max will retire" rather than he has announced it. What shithouse journalism.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:

Ball is among the 16 highest-paid players in the competition,
If true...HTF did this occur?

A sad inditememt on the previous crew who some lauded as being exceptional player managers!!!

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Sunday Red wrote:
sainta wrote:Is it the one about Max Hudghton announcing his retirement at the end of this season? If so, I was unaware of that!
Yeah.

Nothing has been said by the club. Usually journalists say "it's believed that Hudghton will retire" or "it's expected that Max will retire" rather than he has announced it. What shithouse journalism.

And backing that up a St Kilda player (from memomry BJ) stated during an interview that Max had not actually decided anything with respect to retirement.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
markp
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
st.byron wrote:

A sad inditememt on the previous crew who some lauded as being exceptional player managers!!!
It is not possible, it would mean he is the highest or just behind the highest paid at our club.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

now im sure Brat posted a quote the other week from someone that pretty much said this was the last year for the 'ol number 8.

isnt wasnt a journo either....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
st.byron wrote:

And you know for a fact it was done by the previous crew as you call them.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Shouldn't the club be talking to Timmy Watson first.

He might like another crack at showing how hopeless he is at coaching a good team again.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Sobraz
SS Life Member

markp wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
st.byron wrote:

It is not possible, it would mean he is the highest or just behind the highest paid at our club.
This is the case... I was under the impression that Ball is the second highest paid at our club currently, obviously behind Roo... That is until his current contract expires this year....

markp
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:
markp wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
st.byron wrote:

This is the case... I was under the impression that Ball is the second highest paid at our club currently, obviously behind Roo... That is until his current contract expires this year....
So you think he's on high 700's?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
Sobraz wrote:
markp wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
st.byron wrote:

So you think he's on high 700's?
I think that was the rumour last year. He will be in for a shock next season.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

He had a back-loaded deal and it's starting to hurt our Cap just a little bit...

I imagine the club will be offering Luke a highly competitive deal but one that reflects his standing in football at the present time. A reduced deal is on the cards, but I would hope - and expect - that he would sign off on the new deal without too much haggling.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:And you know for a fact [Ball's contract] was done by the previous crew as you call them.
I can't find a date on when the current contract was done. It was obviously a 3-year deal signed at some point in 2006, but the exact date escapes me.

Regardless of who negotiated the deal, by the end of the 06 season Ball was 22-years old, a club captain, a B+F winner and an AA. He'd missed a total of two games with injury between 04-06. It's not a huge surprise he was able to get a decent deal with that resume.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:now im sure Brat posted a quote the other week from someone that pretty much said this was the last year for the 'ol number 8.

isnt wasnt a journo either....
it has been intimated a few times- NO definite comment has been made,
and I started the Max Memories thread so we don't get to Oct and everyone goes on holidays without giving him his due- as we did for Harves for three years :wink:

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107