AA Captain - Our Nick - but don't ask the HUN!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

AA Captain - Our Nick - but don't ask the HUN!

Nick Riewoldt was named All Australian Captain last night, only the second St Kilda Footballer to achieve the honour after Darrel Baldock in 1966. But you wouldn't know it from the Herald Sun, its electronic version anyway. Their front page picture is of Gary Ablett. No mention of Nick Riewoldt. On the other hand, The Age has Nick in the large front page photo and Gary Ablett and Chris Judd in smaller ones, a more balanced reflection.

The Herald Sun has maintained a disdain for the St Kilda Football Club for many years and this is just another example. Will it matter to the players? Not much, but that's not the point. The HUN is simply not doing its job properly and should be taken to task.

Oh, and by the way, Nick deserved the honour and is already one of the greatest players to grace our game. Enjoy every precious moment of this wonderful player.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: AA Captain - Our Nick - but don't ask the HUN!

perfectionist wrote:Nick Riewoldt was named All Australian Captain last night, only the second St Kilda Footballer to achieve the honour after Darrel Baldock in 1966. But you wouldn't know it from the Herald Sun, its electronic version anyway. Their front page picture is of Gary Ablett. No mention of Nick Riewoldt. On the other hand, The Age has Nick in the large front page photo and Gary Ablett and Chris Judd in smaller ones, a more balanced reflection.

The Herald Sun has maintained a disdain for the St Kilda Football Club for many years and this is just another example. Will it matter to the players? Not much, but that's not the point. The HUN is simply not doing its job properly and should be taken to task.

Oh, and by the way, Nick deserved the honour and is already one of the greatest players to grace our game. Enjoy every precious moment of this wonderful player.
Yep the Herald sun hate the saints. Makes plenty of sense. Do you walk around looking over your shoulder all day. Were you away for the week before the Cats game.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Both the AFL site and The Australian websites feature the All Australian Captain. It is only the Herald Sun that does not. Just an "honest" mistake or an editiorial decision? Or no mistake at all as implied by our resident apologist?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:Both the AFL site and The Australian websites feature the All Australian Captain. It is only the Herald Sun that does not. Just an "honest" mistake or an editiorial decision? Or no mistake at all as implied by our resident apologist?
I am no apologist just dont go down the line that just about everyone hates or picks on us. if you look at everything through one eye you will always find fault. Every club would. The herald sun would have written as many articles if not more than any club this year.

PS if you want to have a go at the Herald sun. Look at their write up on this weeks game and players who could be dropped. They said Rob Eddy went back to Sandy seconds last week and kicked 6 goals. Now that is funny.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:Nick Riewoldt was named All Australian Captain last night, only the second St Kilda Footballer to achieve the honour after Darrel Baldock in 1966. But you wouldn't know it from the Herald Sun, its electronic version anyway. Their front page picture is of Gary Ablett. No mention of Nick Riewoldt. On the other hand, The Age has Nick in the large front page photo and Gary Ablett and Chris Judd in smaller ones, a more balanced reflection.

Your paranoia really cracks me up.

The great world conspiracy against SKFC. Quite funny.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

PS if you want to have a go at the Herald sun. Look at their write up on this weeks game and players who could be dropped. They said Rob Eddy went back to Sandy seconds last week and kicked 6 goals. Now that is funny.
ROFLMAO..thats Gold

WHoever does their VFL reports needs a clue. The other week they noted that (North Ballarat?) had done well to keep Nick Saunter goalless....umm he wasnt actually playing lol

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
St Michele
Club Player

That's all right in Perth on the radio they didn't even mention any Saints got in just complained LeCras didn't :lol:

edit no it's ok they just mentioned Nick was the Captain. :lol:
Last edited by St Michele on Tue 15 Sep 2009 9:43am, edited 1 time in total.

Michele
Goals are dreams with deadlines!!
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
ROFLMAO..thats Gold

WHoever does their VFL reports needs a clue. The other week they noted that (North Ballarat?) had done well to keep Nick Saunter goalless....umm he wasnt actually playing lol
For the less modern cyberlingo literate - what does ROFLMAU actually mean?

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
St Michele
Club Player

Thinline wrote:
saint66au wrote:
ROFLMAO..thats Gold

Rolling on the floor laughing my arse off :-)

Michele
Goals are dreams with deadlines!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
saint66au wrote:
ROFLMAO..thats Gold

I think it means rolling over f****** laughing my arse off but like you most confuse me. i reckon we need a sticky for all these abbreviations.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
ROFLMAO..thats Gold

I believe it was in an article under the byline of Mark Stevens - the journalist that was the subject of some debate on here earlier this year.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Thinline wrote:
saint66au wrote:
ROFLMAO..thats Gold

I think it means rolling over f****** laughing my arse off but like you most confuse me. i reckon we need a sticky for all these abbreviations.
I think you are refering to this one

ROFLMFAO

Another opportunity awaits!
BaysideSaint
Club Player

mark robinson on SEN re. luke ball:

"luke ball is in trouble"

ROFLMAO

roxanne
Club Player

All that aside, the original point about the Herald Sun's reporting of the announcement of the AA team is correct. No mention of the great honour for Nick Riewoldt of being named Captain. Don't know about the paper being anti Saints but it was poor reporting.
However the article in The Australian more than makes up for it.

"He spoke of his stride, his power and his willingness to push himself to exhaustion. All of the things that are on display each weekend in the No 12 jumper" Garry Lyon
TimPekin'sDirtyGuernsey
Club Player

BaysideSaint wrote:mark robinson on SEN re. luke ball:

ROFLMAO
Speaking of Robbo, anyone see him on GameDay Sunday when he was handling that Bulldog?

Looked like he was very turned on!

BaysideSaint
Club Player

TimPekin'sDirtyGuernsey wrote:

ROFLMAO
Speaking of Robbo, anyone see him on GameDay Sunday when he was handling that Bulldog?

i tuned-out when i realised Mick Naxwell was on.
did they actually have that bulldog on the show?

TimPekin'sDirtyGuernsey
Club Player

BaysideSaint wrote:

ROFLMAO

Yeah and Robbo was all over it like a cheap suit! :lol:

BaysideSaint
Club Player

BaysideSaint wrote:

ROFLMAO

Yeah and Robbo was all over it like a cheap suit! :lol:
just another confused canine mistakenly thinking that robbo was james hird or someone famous.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

roxanne wrote:All that aside, the original point about the Herald Sun's reporting of the announcement of the AA team is correct. No mention of the great honour for Nick Riewoldt of being named Captain. Don't know about the paper being anti Saints but it was poor reporting.
However the article in The Australian more than makes up for it.
Glad to see someone actually looked at the coverage and commented rather than just attacking me. It is not paranoia to criticise the coverage of ONE outlet out of FOUR. Anyone who suggests so clearly does not know what paranoia is. My point about the HUN is their history of poor reporting of St Kilda. Their reporting is slanted to selling newspapers, not accuracy. It may be good business but it is not good journalism. They have made an editorial decision that the Saints don't sell, why else would they put Gary Ablett, one of 21 AAs who are NOT captain on their front page? No doubt, some other story will soon fill the online pages of all outlets, but the HUN got it wrong this morning and I can't see why any Saints fan would say otherwise, other than to be obtuse.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

I not entirely sure of the Heralds tract record againstthe Saints....BUT I did wake up this morning to enjoy a big picture of Roo on the front.....or at least on the back.

The front....Picture of Judd and Twig....with the headline "Bec shines amung stars"

The back, four other AA inductees.

What The f***.

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

So which print version should I try and get my hands on, not the Hum, Age or Australian?

Qld Saints Supporter Group
matrix
Saintsational Legend

its: Rolling On Floor Laughing My Ass Off

ill see what todays Advertiser says in a min
caffine first

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Saint Bev wrote:So which print version should I try and get my hands on, not the Hum, Age or Australian?
Dunno. As I said in the OP, I was looking at the online versions. Don't buy papers. I suppose a trip to a newsagent is the only was to find out, given the possibility of different versions of The Age (in particular) in Queensland.

maz1685
Club Player

Actually I was thinking the other day how Herald Sun already presumes we're in the GF, that little diagram in yesterdays paper where it shows the games and where the winners go, and in the last one it shows winners of prelims going to the GF....and what pic should be there but our own Nick Riewoldt...I'd say that they're expecting a St Kilda vs someone else GF, maybe that's why they don't feel the need to talk about us so much??

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
perfectionist wrote:Both the AFL site and The Australian websites feature the All Australian Captain. It is only the Herald Sun that does not. Just an "honest" mistake or an editiorial decision? Or no mistake at all as implied by our resident apologist?
I am no apologist
err...yes...you are a bit...

“Yeah….nah””