Traded X for nothing?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintWodonga
Club Player

Traded X for nothing?

RL said that we were unlikely to use pick 62 in the draft (read below) but we got pick 60 from Lions for X. Are we likely to use that pick? Or did we give away X for nothing?

"“We couldn’t get a deal done. In the end it was 25 and 62 on the table. We were unlikely to use 62 and, in our view, 25 was not going to get Luke Ball done," Lyon

http://www.afl.com.au/Offseason/TradeBl ... fault.aspx
Last edited by SaintWodonga on Fri 09 Oct 2009 3:07pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Yep.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Well he certainly wasn't a part of our plans, at least we are giving him a chance to further his career elsewhere....

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
claystreet
Club Player

Armoooo wrote:Well he certainly wasn't a part of our plans, at least we are giving him a chance to further his career elsewhere....
+1

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

Ithink they had a good reason.

Same reason Geelong traded Gardiner and King and the reason the Schneider/Dempster trade was weighted in our favour.

The club respected the player's wishes and the club's balancing act with salary cap and took a minor hit wrt "market value". But did the right thing by a player who was not a strong chance to feature in plans for next year.

very disappointing to see him leave but they did the right thing.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Agreed. In this instance, if X wanted out, the honourable thing to do was to trade him out.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Agree. Had X in mind for the third forward role, but others who know much more obviously didn't.

Does it not also free up a bit of moolah for renegotiating with Ball?

Surely there would have had to be a contingency in place given Pies horrible trade week reputation?

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Traded X for nothing?

SaintWodonga wrote:RL said that we were unlikely to use pick 62 in the draft (read below) but we got pick 60 from Lions for X. Are we likely to use that pick? Or did we give away X for nothing?

"“We couldn’t get a deal done. In the end it was 25 and 62 on the table. We were unlikely to use 62 and, in our view, 25 was not going to get Luke Ball done," Lyon

Fair call. I suspect that the Lovett deal, and X's fitness put a big question mark on his future. I also suspect that this move may be the turning point of both Clarkes's careers. Let's hope so for them and us.

SaintAndrew
Club Player

I think they could have got a better deal.

Sad to see X go.

TassieJones
Club Player

we wouldn't use pick 62 because we got pick 60 for X.

That said we still got ripped off though.
Last edited by TassieJones on Fri 09 Oct 2009 3:25pm, edited 1 time in total.

markp
Saintsational Legend

In X's case I think we took a hit to look after a fine and loyal servant... In Ball's case I think we took a hit to look after a mercenary and his slimy manager.

Well done Saints.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

You need to look at the draft in it's entirety I guess....the positives outweigh the negatives....and some if Luke stays.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Andrew Raines traded to Brisbane for pick 44.
X traded to Brisbane for pick 60.

I may be biased but X even returning from a reco is 5 times the player dud Raines is.

I'd say salary cap and doing the right thing by the player were the major reasons behind this trade.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

we put a lot of work into X and then he just walked out and left us high and dry... we not only got nothing for him and he will spend the rest of his career trying to beat us

he's a quality bloke but quite frankly i have no gratitude for him

redwhite&blackblood
SS Hall of Fame

We are under serious salary cap pressures and we had to make room for the incoming salaries plus the retention of some of our key players prior to the upcoming GC17 and WS18 inclusions. Whilst i liked X i don't see it as a big loss since he was regularly injured anyway.

Bleeding Red, Black and White for 38 years!
Life Motto - Fortius Quo Fidelius
Raph "Cult Hero" Clarke Fan Club.
gosaints
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote:Andrew Raines traded to Brisbane for pick 44.
X traded to Brisbane for pick 60.

I may be biased but X even returning from a reco is 5 times the player dud Raines is.

I'd say salary cap and doing the right thing by the player were the major reasons behind this trade.
Maybe you are right but at the same time X is a 26 year old who has played a total of 26 games in the last 3 years including finals. I really like X and think he can still become a good player but no matter how much potential he has and he is a class bloke, he just doesn't get on the field often enough.
You can't help injuries, but pick 60 is about the going rate for a guy who is looking for a change, has a long history of injuries and is coming back from a knee reco.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

TassieJones wrote:we wouldn't use pick 62 because we got pick 60 for X.

That said we still got ripped off though.
We didn't get ripped off.

We did Xavier a favour and did not stand in his way.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Furphy
Club Player

We got draft pick #60 for X-Man? Who do we get with that pick, Percy Jones?

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Traded X for nothing?

SaintWodonga wrote:RL said that we were unlikely to use pick 62 in the draft (read below) but we got pick 60 from Lions for X. Are we likely to use that pick? Or did we give away X for nothing?

Think I heard you on SEN.

Schillaci
Club Player

IF X wanted a change of environment and the brainstrust thought with his injuries that would suit both parties ....Fine.
Otherwise trading for pick 60 has me baffled. We were screwed.
I'd like to hear the club's reasoning on this one.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

it's allowed us to offer luke ball a contract and allowed x a chance at resurrecting his afl career.
happy with it - showing a bit of respect to x!
good luck to him!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
milney044
Club Player

With X's injury record, the amount of time since he's last played and the fact that he wanted out- he was worth next to nothing anyway. We wouldn't have got anything better.. ok pick 59 maybe.

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:we put a lot of work into X and then he just walked out and left us high and dry... we not only got nothing for him and he will spend the rest of his career trying to beat us

he's a quality bloke but quite frankly i have no gratitude for him
I reckon it will be more of the same @ Brisbane.

He just cant get his body right....and I don't think he ever will.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Schillaci wrote:IF X wanted a change of environment and the brainstrust thought with his injuries that would suit both parties ....Fine.
Otherwise trading for pick 60 has me baffled. We were screwed.
I'd like to hear the club's reasoning on this one.
We were screwed eh?

So what makes you think that ANY other club was willing to part with a higher draft pick than 60?

Not that likely!

Remember, unless a player is a gun with strong, consistent recent form (read: Lovett, Fevola), it's bloody hard to get a decent pick in return.

X sadly has neither, and strength of character and being a top person doesn't equate to a higher draft pick for most.

Rip it up at the Gabba X!!!

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

the way i read it -
Brisbane came sniffing for X,
Saints asked X what he wanted to do and would not stand in his way if he wanted out,
X would have thought to himself that it was going to be hard to break into the senior team and we just added Peake and Lovett into the mix of players he would compete for a spot with,
X decided to take his chances elsewhere in the hope he might get a regular game,
Saints made it easy for him to move figuring that fate seemed determined to give X a hard time whilst he remained at the Saints [/list]

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.