The way contract offer withdrawn - Ball

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

chook23
Saintsational Legend

The way contract offer withdrawn - Ball

Does anyone else think RL could have handled the interview immediately after walking out of discussion room just after2pm yesterday.

In relation to the 3 year contract being recinded etc

Might it have been better to say the list management dept now that trading has been completed will be reviewing player contracts etc

The MEDIA in many articles/news and talkback today have really highlighted the withdrawal and the impact that would be having on LB and surrounding support

just seems to come across reflecting the club poorly

On another note pisses me off how the media making us out as the villan in the non trade........

Coll made promises (I pressume) to get him........when jolly became available he became the focus (and used the draft 14 pick that would have clinched the ball trade)

Like picking the puppy in the window and just as you about to leave with it it is put back because the kid picks the one in the next window.
Last edited by chook23 on Sat 10 Oct 2009 12:46pm, edited 1 time in total.

saint4life
PJ
SS Life Member

So what possible contract offer has there been?

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
chook23
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:So what possible contract offer has there been?
Maybe my thread title is not suitable.........I will change

but that is my point

saint4life
PJ
SS Life Member

The media seem to interpret Ross and his meaning - he is probably just stating a fact that the offer has been withdrawn obviously because he has nominted to be traded and we now have Lovett.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Very happy with how he said it, a strong comment. You never leave a contract open for 3 months, then have the player turn his nose up at it and when the player does not get what he wants, expect that contract to still be there. No having your cake etc etc.

Luke Ball now knows his value...Pick 25 & NO other offers other than being picked up in the Dimmeys bin by Melbourne. Sure he can put a high price on his head but only adds to the pressure on him and means Melbourne or Collingwood may end up paying a higher price down the track than a simple draft pick.

Strong comments by a strong man on behalf of a strong club, nice work Ross.

Milton66
SS Life Member

Who gives a flying root wha the media think???

It's about protecting the ineterests of the club, and not Luke.

Luke had the option of staying but he refused.

I back the club 100% on this issue.

An offer was made for 3 years. Luke declined... why should we put that offer back on the table?

Effectively, he told the club that it wasn't good enough.

Bad luck Luke.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Freakin' hell, I am so sick to death of hearing about 'poor Lukey'. FFS, he had a contract on the table for OVER 3 MONTHS!!! He chose to shun the contract and look for greener pastures (which is his prerogative). Any decent business will pull that contract off the table once an employee has decided to move on. If you don't, you are a fool.

There is now a new opportunity for Luke. The Ball (pardon the pun), is now in his court.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:Who gives a flying root wha the media think???

An offer was made for 3 years. Luke declined... why should we put that offer back on the table?

Bad luck Luke.
Yep.

Luke even showed up at Ettihad to talk em into it.

So be it.

Take what we offer or go into the draft.

See ya later captain.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
chook23
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:Freakin' hell, I am so sick to death of hearing about 'poor Lukey'. FFS, he had a contract on the table for OVER 3 MONTHS!!! He chose to shun the contract and look for greener pastures (which is his prerogative). Any decent business will pull that contract off the table once an employee has decided to move on. If you don't, you are a fool.

There is now a new opportunity for Luke. The Ball (pardon the pun), is now in his court.
My point was not about poor Lukey as you put it

it was the way the media made(tried) the ST Kilda FC to look like the villan

stuff em

saint4life
longtimesaint
Club Player

I think the contract on the table since June would have to be cancelled. The salary cap levels would need to be re-worked as Lovett and Peake has come on and other changes like X and Max gone, as well as changes to the veteran players.
They couldn't risk that the previous conrtract was still within the salary cap, and new negotiations would be needed to give Luke a new offer.

One year will be our year
The Saintsational Man
Club Player

bigred wrote:
Milton66 wrote:Who gives a flying root wha the media think???

Bad luck Luke.
Yep.

Luke even showed up at Ettihad to talk em into it.

So be it.

Take what we offer or go into the draft.

See ya later captain.
I'm with you.

We're not bending over for anyone.

realdeal
Club Player

I dont get what all the fuss is about either...

-we offered a contract,
-ball turned it down,
-we put those funds towards other players,
-Ball chooses a top 4 competitor that he wants to join,
-That team offer us crap all in return for him so we turn it down,
-Ball either comes back to our team or goes in pre season draft,

sounds reasonable to me.
what does that wank Barrett from the h/s want us to do, just give away players to make strong teams stronger just to be nice to a player which would in turn be to the detriment of our club!?

I hope Ball rejoins us but it takes 2 to tango.
:?

St Michele
Club Player

And realistically we have traded since the cotract was offered and may have relaced the need to have him as he was leaving so why would they keep it on the table as it was.

Michele
Goals are dreams with deadlines!!
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote:Very happy with how he said it, a strong comment. You never leave a contract open for 3 months, then have the player turn his nose up at it and when the player does not get what he wants, expect that contract to still be there. No having your cake etc etc.

Luke Ball now knows his value...Pick 25 & NO other offers other than being picked up in the Dimmeys bin by Melbourne. Sure he can put a high price on his head but only adds to the pressure on him and means Melbourne or Collingwood may end up paying a higher price down the track than a simple draft pick.

Strong comments by a strong man on behalf of a strong club, nice work Ross.
100% spot on. Couldn't agree more

Milton66
SS Life Member

The club offered him a contract which they thought was fair and reasonable.

He knocked it back and asked to be traded.

Trade did not happen.

Funds allocated to other players on the assumption that the trade will go through.

Club would have had reason to belive that trade was almost certain to go through, given the rumours flying around.

Original contract null and void.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
Lennon
Club Player

Milton66 wrote:The club offered him a contract which they thought was fair and reasonable.
That doesn't mean that it was.

It's become pretty clear that Lyon does not rate him all that highly.

"Give me one reason to play you in the GF", etc.

I'd say it was a combination of a fair sized pay cut and limited game time that saw Luke want to leave.

At least he would get the game time, if not more money, at another club.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Lennon wrote:"Give me one reason to play you in the GF", etc.
Where did that come from, the only place I have seen this quote is here, cam some one point me in the direction of where this came from.

Lennon
Club Player

ausfatcat wrote:
Where did that come from, the only place I have seen this quote is here, cam some one point me in the direction of where this came from.
I can't provide you with a link, but former StKilda player Dean Greig said on SEN last night that it was said to Luke by Ross on the Thursday before the GF.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

And how would he know thaT?

When Lyon himself said that monday or so Luke was assured of a spot in the Granny.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

I like Luke Ball. I'm sorry he's left us. But he hasn't been up to scratch as a senior player for over 12 months now.

In terms of the contract being rescinded.....I have no problem with what Ross said and how he said it. No gret areas with Ross, what you see and hear is what you get.

Luke decided not to take up the offer as of early this week and asked to be traded.

St Kilda did not rescind the contract, Luke did.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Lennon wrote:
ausfatcat wrote:
I can't provide you with a link, but former StKilda player Dean Greig said on SEN last night that it was said to Luke by Ross on the Thursday before the GF.
What is wrong with that? Luke hasn't shown the greatest form this year and the St Kilda team is not one where you have an automatic walk up start anymore. Fail to see how this is a bad thing....?? Or is it just me?

Are we slipping into the mentality now that because you are a St Kilda favourite son that this automatically gives you a spot in the best 22? I sure hope this is not the case!

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Richter
SS Life Member

Lennon wrote:
Milton66 wrote:The club offered him a contract which they thought was fair and reasonable.
That doesn't mean that it was.

It's become pretty clear that Lyon does not rate him all that highly.

"Give me one reason to play you in the GF", etc.

I'd say it was a combination of a fair sized pay cut and limited game time that saw Luke want to leave.

At least he would get the game time, if not more money, at another club.
I would say that Lyon rates him as a GOP/slightly above GOP - as indicated by the wish for a pick around 20 and a reduced salary offer compared with before.......

......and on the basis of Luke's output this year, that assessment seems pretty fair to me. Check out this page which rates players from Final Siren....

http://www.finalsiren.com/Fixture.asp?S ... &TeamID=12

Luke sits at number 11 in the side when ranked by 'rating' (however that is done). Notably of the midfielders that played for us this year he ranks at 8/12 (including mini, Eddy, Gram, Geary as mids. - 7/8 if you don't).

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Lennon wrote:
ausfatcat wrote:
Apparently this information came to Dean Greig from Ray Ball. Allegedly.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
Lennon
Club Player

ausfatcat wrote:And how would he know thaT?

When Lyon himself said that monday or so Luke was assured of a spot in the Granny.
Probably because he still knows people at the club. Maybe he's spoken to Luke himself. How would I know?

It hardly seems likely that he just made it up, though, does it.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Lennon wrote:
ausfatcat wrote:And how would he know thaT?

Probably because he still knows people at the club. Maybe he's spoken to Luke himself. How would I know?

It hardly seems likely that he just made it up, though, does it.
Ray Ball.