I'm worried about Zac

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Moods
Saintsational Legend

I'm worried about Zac

I'll preface this by saying I only watched the 1st quarter. Last year he made mistakes sure - but his every move appeared to be marked with some type of desperation.

Last night I thought his effort running with the flight of the ball with Bevan was pathetic. He was then out pointed easily in a marking contest in the same quarter as well. How was the rest of his game? I thought he made uncharacteristic mistakes against the pies and didn't appear as desperate as he normally is. I know he had a set back pre- season re injury, but w/o the insurance of Max back there, I'm hoping he can quickly get back to his 09 form.

For mine almost the most important player on our list. How have others seen his first two games? Am I getting twitchy too early?

longtimesaint
Club Player

I agree has been ordinary -They should have kept goose as a backup.

One year will be our year
noob
Club Player

I agree with you. I think the amount of pressure that was on him last year (because of the rocca incident a few years ago) his team mates really helped out. I'm worried when his battling it out one-on one with someone.

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

He has certainly been off the last 2 weeks.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

A bit harsh. Didnt get many if any kicked on him. He will be fine.

westy
Club Player

My concern with Zac is that he often seems to let his opponent make the first move before he acts which is a problem if that opponent is quick!

I'm livin' in a madhouse
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

have goose back in a heart beat.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

westy wrote:My concern with Zac is that he often seems to let his opponent make the first move before he acts which is a problem if that opponent is quick!
Well its pretty hard for backman to lead to the opposition. Dont think they will kick it to him.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

I hoped that he would have developed more in the "chestal area", to give him more strength in those one on one contests.

Speaking of which, has anyone else noticed that Jason Gram seems to have become Mr Australia in the upper arms and chest?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

whilst I'm not 100% sold on Dawson's ability 1:1, Maguire had no place in this side :(

don't let 1 good praccy game fool you

matrix
Saintsational Legend

look im still on the max shoulda played bit but thats all history
the only things i find with zac that im unsure of is:
*he sometimes still does the arm around the waist thingy to his opp
*he sometimes watches the player if he is out of possie instead of keeping his eye on the cherry
*he sometimes goes for the big hit or bump when he shouldve layed a tackle

other than that he has done very well for us and we are lucky to have had him get to where he is so quickly.
he is good, and will only get better
if he just works on those things of his game he'll take the next step up

imo :)

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:I hoped that he would have developed more in the "chestal area", to give him more strength in those one on one contests.

Speaking of which, has anyone else noticed that Jason Gram seems to have become Mr Australia in the upper arms and chest?
Ink will do that.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
SirDog
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:A bit harsh. Didnt get many if any kicked on him. He will be fine.
I agree. I am a Zac Dawson fan and I think he is great for St.Kilda. Did he make the odd error? Yes. Did other St.Kilda players make the odd error? Yes. Have any other AFL players made the odd error? Yes.

St.Kilda fan - through and through.
ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Anyone feel he played with real flair and funk in the first half of last year then it kind of faded? He was almost cocky laying awesome bumps on anyone in his way.

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
Munga
Saintsational Legend

It's pre season!!!!
The last thing I want to see is our players being overly courageous.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

I've had my concerns about Zac since he won that most promising player award at the B&F.

My concern is based on the form of the two who won it before. Gilbo won it in 07, had a mediocre 08, Raph won it 08, had a mediocre 09.

Insert 'worst post ever' response here: :P

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
35...LEGEND
Club Player

ralphsmith wrote:Anyone feel he played with real flair and funk in the first half of last year then it kind of faded? He was almost cocky laying awesome bumps on anyone in his way.

He flattened BBB and was really throwing his body around for most of '09'.........

Then that ridiculous suspension for shepherding/bumping the man on the mark to get Joey(think it was joey) in the clear.

IMO he seems to have gone into his shell and has not been the same player since..........IMO.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

I can’t believe how many on here want to be so negative (and I'm not just talking about this topic).

I think it was White Winmar who recently had an excellent post about how well we’re travelling now compared to the dark old days. I remember them only too well. Fair dinkum, if Saints fans aren’t happy these days, no premiership aside, then they’re pretty hard to please.

The amount of money it costs to follow this club each week, each year is something I don’t even want to try to calculate. Nonetheless it would be a small fortune over close to 40 years. A mate of mine just bought a Jet Ski. If I’m going to pour the sort of money I do into my passion, the Saints, then I may as well try to enjoy the experience. Otherwise I can simply forget about it, buy myself a Jet Ski and enjoy life.

I know blokes who will look at a quarter of footy, where we may have done well and some kids may have impressed, but the first thing they will say is that Kozi is crap, or Dawson’s playing shyte etc.

Fair enough, each to their own. But for me I will always try to remain positive about things. I’ve been there when it looked like we’d never win a game. From there to the season we had last year, and how we’re looking at the moment, is chalk & cheese.

I’m not concerned about anyone at the moment. We may have scraped in; may have been lucky in the first 2 weeks of the NAB Cup, but we’re still travelling better now than we were this time last year.

I’ll continue to look for the good things with our team and, for the moment, leave the Jet Ski on hold :D

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Re: I'm worried about Zac

Moods wrote:I'll preface this by saying I only watched the 1st quarter. Last year he made mistakes sure - but his every move appeared to be marked with some type of desperation.

Last night I thought his effort running with the flight of the ball with Bevan was pathetic. He was then out pointed easily in a marking contest in the same quarter as well. How was the rest of his game? I thought he made uncharacteristic mistakes against the pies and didn't appear as desperate as he normally is. I know he had a set back pre- season re injury, but w/o the insurance of Max back there, I'm hoping he can quickly get back to his 09 form.

For mine almost the most important player on our list. How have others seen his first two games? Am I getting twitchy too early?

Completely summed up my concerns....

Struggled early with the contest in the air....

And the same happened last week against the pies....

Im a bit worried about stronger opposition!

stinger
Saintsational Legend

not the player he was last year.....early days yet but.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
GrumpyOne

I'd have Goose back, but nothing to do with Zac's form. He is a little off at the moment, but he is not on his own there - Kosi for example.

riewoldt12

zac did have a family member pass away few weeks back, thats why he was wearing black band against pies im guessing, not that it should have any impact on his footy. still gotta put that into consideration though.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

riewoldt12 wrote:zac did have a family member pass away few weeks back, thats why he was wearing black band against pies im guessing, not that it should have any impact on his footy. still gotta put that into consideration though.
that's pretty bad for the boy......noticed the arm band though......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
spert
Saintsational Legend

Goose back..what are people on about? I'd rather have Baldock back..let's talk 2010 folks. This is NAB cub pre-season rubbish. Lets wait until Round 1 (though I would like to see a bit more from Kozi)

riewoldt12

stinger wrote:
riewoldt12 wrote:zac did have a family member pass away few weeks back, thats why he was wearing black band against pies im guessing, not that it should have any impact on his footy. still gotta put that into consideration though.
that's pretty bad for the boy......noticed the arm band though......
yeah would be hard on him.
he was the only one wearing the band aswell i think?