The club wants loyalty - surely we can ask for honesty !

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

I am astounded as to what the club has to benenift by being misleading or dishonest with the player injury reports and information.

They want us to remain loyal members/supporters, well they should start by being transparent and up front with the information they release. The contrary just undermines any belief supporters have that the club is moving forward to become a well managed organisation.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Finna
Club Player

Honestly, do we think we are that important as supporters. Get over it. The club has it motivations for releasing the information it wants to release about injuries and I'd bet those motivations are strategic.
How would it help the supporters?
Would you sleep better at night??? Well they should definitely do it then.... :roll:

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

I don't understand why you need to know. Why would the club broadcast it's injuries when the whole idea is to keep the others guessing. It's all about strategy and game plans.

Another opportunity awaits!
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

If we dont know then the other 15 Clubs probably dont either..and thats just fine by me

A well managed football club doesnt go broadcasting its injury updates to anyone who asks..and we as members dont have any more right to know than anyone outside the Clubs inner circle

Sorry to break that to you so harshly :-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
busso mick
Club Player

I am curious as to why it is so important to you WinnersOnly, do you know the health status of everyone you work with? The important thing is the injury plague that was at the club 5 years ago with soft tissue injuries seems to have abated with our current setup.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Re: The club wants loyalty - surely we can ask for honesty !

WinnersOnly wrote:The club wants loyalty - surely we can ask for honesty !

I am astounded as to what the club has to benenift by being misleading or dishonest with the player injury reports and information.

They want us to remain loyal members/supporters, well they should start by being transparent and up front with the information they release. The contrary just undermines any belief supporters have that the club is moving forward to become a well managed organisation.

As much as it frustrates me at times, I can understand the benefit of keeping their cards close.

Therefore I disagree with most of this post.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

What would Angelina Jolie say?

Another opportunity awaits!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Yes it was much better when we were a poor side but had accurate injury reprts :roll:

Besides not all injuries can have precise recovery times anyway and so will be more of an estimate...

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Moods
Saintsational Legend

WEll you have some support with me WinnersOnly :D

I too have often wondered why the need for all the secrecy. How ill it affect our performance in the slightest. I guarantee the opposition clubs know 95% of the status of other clubs injuries anyway.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:What would Angelina Jolie say?
I dunno...'How hard is it to adopt an Angolan?' Something like that?

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:WEll you have some support with me WinnersOnly :D

I too have often wondered why the need for all the secrecy.
You what? :| You're having us on.

Just because we are members (or fans) doesn't mean they should broadcast player injury information and trust us to keep it amongst ourselves. Just because you think other clubs might know is no reason to make sure they know. Besides, how could you trust our underhanded club!?!

I've often wondered why they print injury lists at all.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

I guarantee that within a couple of years (if not sooner) the AFL will demand transparency in injury reports, just like the NFL.

Gambling on AFL is legal, punters are entitled to know the injury status of the players.

The NFL are very strict with their injury reports and the AFL mimics everything the NFL do.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Longwayfromhome
Club Player

Most of you guys live in noddy land. If Roo has a career ending knee injury then tell the world about it. If Sam Fisher won't play for the first twelve weeks of the season then say so.
What's wrong with being honest.
I'm sick and tired of the bulls*** that teams post in the media week in week out.
I pay mega bucks each year to support this great club. Why should I put up with this spin.
If we honestly believe that by repeating the same crap day in day out that other teams will take it on board as true; it ain't gonna happen. The only entity the club is fooling is the supporter. Sad, very sad.

Leave your ego's in the locker when you start and pick them up again when you retire
saintnick12
Club Player

Spinner wrote:

As much as it frustrates me at times, I can understand the benefit of keeping their cards close.

+1

Agree its frustrating that we don't know, but I can certainly understand why things are kept quiet if possible. Surprising that Roo's injury in GF week was able to be kept so quiet over those last few days. Wonder if Geelong knew???

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
bozza1980
Club Player

Longwayfromhome wrote:Most of you guys live in noddy land. If Roo has a career ending knee injury then tell the world about it. If Sam Fisher won't play for the first twelve weeks of the season then say so.
What's wrong with being honest.
I'm sick and tired of the bulls*** that teams post in the media week in week out.
I pay mega bucks each year to support this great club. Why should I put up with this spin.
If we honestly believe that by repeating the same crap day in day out that other teams will take it on board as true; it ain't gonna happen. The only entity the club is fooling is the supporter. Sad, very sad.
I agree to a degree.

I think if they aren't going to give accurate information then don't give any.

I understand that they are obliged somewhat by the AFL to give this information but it's a waste of time.

Like Ottens last year, for 16 weeks he was suffering a 2-3 week injury what purpse was served by that information being circulated every week.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
Moods
Saintsational Legend

saintnick12 wrote:
Spinner wrote:

+1

Agree its frustrating that we don't know, but I can certainly understand why things are kept quiet if possible. Surprising that Roo's injury in GF week was able to be kept so quiet over those last few days. Wonder if Geelong knew???
Let's assume that the cats didn't know about Roo's injury. What was gained by not telling them? A sore spot that could be targeted I could possibly understand.

Not as if they would have said, 'let's run Roo around alot more than we normally would' - Taylor had blown up and needed a rest 1/2 way through the 2nd quarter and Roo had 2-3 opponents rotating off him anyway.

I'm sure there's some reasoning behind it (the secrecy that is) but I can't help but think whatever the reasoning is it's laced with paranoia.

Saintsfan
Club Player

Why do the have to be honest? Why should they lie?

In the end it is a business except the industry is more emotionally charged and physical then most.

We as supporters have no right to know what goes on inside the club. Nor should we. All we should expect is a team that plays good football and takes advantage of the squad they currently have assembled.

Just because the majority on here pay money for a membership does not entitle us to information that non-paying supporters would no receive.

If one is so against the lack of visibility regarding injuries coming out of the club then simply do not buy a membership.

The Saintsfan Cometh
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

saintnick12 wrote: Agree its frustrating that we don't know, but I can certainly understand why things are kept quiet if possible. Surprising that Roo's injury in GF week was able to be kept so quiet over those last few days. Wonder if Geelong knew???
Of course they knew. I did and if I did the whole world knew.

How many on the list, 46 or thereabouts?
How many coaches and support staff, 20 odd?
How many admin staff, I have no idea?

That's a lot of people who know a lot of other people, and they do talk to their wives, girlfriends, mistresses, husbands, boyfriends and many others.

To think that other clubs don't know what's going on at Moorabbin is just ridiculous.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Saintsfan wrote:Why do the have to be honest? Why should they lie?

In the end it is a business except the industry is more emotionally charged and physical then most.

We as supporters have no right to know what goes on inside the club. Nor should we. All we should expect is a team that plays good football and takes advantage of the squad they currently have assembled.

Just because the majority on here pay money for a membership does not entitle us to information that non-paying supporters would no receive.

If one is so against the lack of visibility regarding injuries coming out of the club then simply do not buy a membership.
In my opinion that's not the issue. I don't expect extra information from the club b/c I buy a membership. I'm more curious re the cloke and dagger with injuries as an overall issue. Personally I just don't reckon anything is gained 90% of the time.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:WEll you have some support with me WinnersOnly :D

I too have often wondered why the need for all the secrecy. How ill it affect our performance in the slightest. I guarantee the opposition clubs know 95% of the status of other clubs injuries anyway.
agreed. there are always a couple of posters here who know about injuries one way or the other. if fans know then you can absolutely guarantee that every other club who cares can find out one way or the other.

why not, for instance, tell us that blake mcgrath, tom simpkin, sean dempster are injured this week? it's obvious as soon as the reserves run out! but instead they keep us in the dark and we have to trawl through forums to find any info.

there's just no justification for it.

saintnick12
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:
saintnick12 wrote: Agree its frustrating that we don't know, but I can certainly understand why things are kept quiet if possible. Surprising that Roo's injury in GF week was able to be kept so quiet over those last few days. Wonder if Geelong knew???
Of course they knew. I did and if I did the whole world knew.

How many on the list, 46 or thereabouts?
How many coaches and support staff, 20 odd?
How many admin staff, I have no idea?

That's a lot of people who know a lot of other people, and they do talk to their wives, girlfriends, mistresses, husbands, boyfriends and many others.

To think that other clubs don't know what's going on at Moorabbin is just ridiculous.
Thanks for that!!! Appreciate you implying my thoughts are ridiculous.

If so many people knew, then why did it not leak out into the mainstream media????
I'm sure the best player being injured on GF eve would have made a pretty big story.
I only discovered Saintsational that week, and I don't remember reading anything about it on here. It was a genuine surprise to me to find out about it after the fact.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
Moods wrote:...there are always a couple of posters here who know about injuries one way or the other...
I've never seen an injury or selection scoop on this forum, ever, unless it's been something like Dempster turning up to training wearing a moonboot.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I have read stuff on here before that has ended up being accurate, things from training etc

fingers
Saintsational Legend

What the hell are we talking about now?

ace
Saintsational Legend

Dempster is NOT injured, he just can't remove the moon boot because it hurts if he tries to do so.

Winmar is NOT injured, he simply can't play football at the moment because he is hurt.

Same applies to Simpkin and McGrath.

The club is always completely truthful about injuries.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA