Lyon's not really concerned about loss...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

markp
Saintsational Legend

Lyon's not really concerned about loss...

Loss wasn't Kosi's fault: Lyon

AAP From: Herald Sun May 11, 2010 5:44PM

ST KILDA coach Ross Lyon will keep backing Justin Koschitzke, saying the Saints' attack was not to blame for the team's big loss to Carlton.

Koschitzke has become a whipping boy at the Saints and he only kicked one behind in Monday night's 61-point defeat at Etihad Stadium.

It was the Saints' biggest losing margin under Lyon and their worst performance since thrashings in the 2008 finals from Geelong and Hawthorn.

....But it will take a lot more than one bad loss to shake Lyon's faith in his game plan.

"I still think we're at where the game has gone, with team defences," Lyon said.

"I'm not really concerned - it's about application and execution."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/l ... 5865176682

mullet
Saintsational Legend

"I still think we're at where the game has gone, with team defences," Lyon said

Can someone please explain what this means :shock:

35...LEGEND
Club Player

Not Pleasing............pull your head out of the sand Ross.

Changes need to be made......game plan .......personnel........something please.

Saintsfan
Club Player

mullet wrote:"I still think we're at where the game has gone, with team defences," Lyon said

We are a leader with team defences and we are. Last night (when looking at recent history) was a loss that is unusual for us.

The Saintsfan Cometh
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I'm not either....

Saintsfan
Club Player

35...LEGEND wrote:Not Pleasing............pull your head out of the sand Ross.

Changes need to be made......game plan .......personnel........something please.
Sunshine it is one loss. A pretty poor night was had by all and look at the result.

Why do we need to change something just to appease fans?

The Saintsfan Cometh
mullet
Saintsational Legend

Saintsfan wrote:
mullet wrote:"I still think we're at where the game has gone, with team defences," Lyon said

We are a leader with team defences and we are. Last night (when looking at recent history) was a loss that is unusual for us.
Not having a go at anyone, but I still dont understand what he means. I dont get where his at re where we are at!!!

Saintsfan
Club Player

mullet wrote:
Saintsfan wrote:

Not having a go at anyone, but I still dont understand what he means. I dont get where his at re where we are at!!!
We have a very good team defence, team zone and are usually accountable for a patch of space on the ground and cause opposition mistakes from this. Look at the Dogs game and how they butchered the ball when they tried nothing and ran out of ideas.

The Saintsfan Cometh
markp
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:
Saintsfan wrote:

I think he means we've still got the right game plan to win a flag in 2010.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

You are my sunshine,
My only sunshine,
You make me happy,
When skies are grey,
You'll never know dear,
How much I loath you,
So please take Saintsfan away.....

8-)

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
35...LEGEND
Club Player

Saintsfan wrote:
35...LEGEND wrote:Not Pleasing............pull your head out of the sand Ross.

Sunshine it is one loss. A pretty poor night was had by all and look at the result.

Why do we need to change something just to appease fans?
Sunshine ? No cheer squad member here Mr,or a private school boy for that matter.

Something needs to change to get back on track.

So you are happy with recent performances then ?
Last edited by 35...LEGEND on Tue 11 May 2010 7:48pm, edited 1 time in total.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
mullet wrote:
Saintsfan wrote:

Thanks that makes more sense, why didnt he just say that :D

35...LEGEND
Club Player

Saintsfan wrote:
mullet wrote:
Saintsfan wrote:

We have a very good team defence, team zone and are usually accountable for a patch of space on the ground and cause opposition mistakes from this. Look at the Dogs game and how they butchered the ball when they tried nothing and ran out of ideas.
That very good team defense leaked 20 goals ?

Our attack has given very few goals.

Something is going wrong and needs to be addressed.

Be it personnel,structure or game plan.

35...LEGEND
Club Player

markp wrote:
mullet wrote:
Saintsfan wrote:

Not while Roo is out we haven't.........need's to be altered or players brought in to compliment the game plan.Kosi is not Roo,Fish or Zac or Gwilt are not Kosi........

markp
Saintsational Legend

35...LEGEND wrote:
markp wrote:
mullet wrote:
Saintsfan wrote:

Not while Roo is out we haven't.........need's to be altered or players brought in to compliment the game plan.Kosi is not Roo,Fish or Zac or Gwilt are not Kosi........
I think our second half against the pies and game against freo probably proves he's right, in that it's about application and execution.

Saintsfan
Club Player

35...LEGEND wrote:
Saintsfan wrote:
mullet wrote:
Saintsfan wrote:

It went wrong once. By the phrasing of your post it is as if it has gone wrong 4 weeks running and we have been thumped collectively by 40 goals.

Cheer up buttercup.

The Saintsfan Cometh
35...LEGEND
Club Player

1 or both of these areas( application and execution )have been lacking for 3 weeks now......realistically we should be 4-3.

Something's gotta give...........and it did last night.

There is a lot to address and it needs to happen sooner rather than later IMO.

35...LEGEND
Club Player

Saintsfan wrote:
35...LEGEND wrote:
Saintsfan wrote:
mullet wrote:
Saintsfan wrote:

It went wrong once. By the phrasing of your post it is as if it has gone wrong 4 weeks running and we have been thumped collectively by 40 goals.

Cheer up buttercup.
3 weeks actually, Snookum's

rexy
SS Life Member

I think what Ross is trying to say is it is not about our forward structure, and i for one agree. Until we can get the ball out of the middle or defense with some kind of cleanliness, we will not even know how our forward structure is.

Kosi started well last night when the game was new and nervous and teams were feeling out the contest. As soon as they realised that we were not willing to work hard enough to break the lines and get the ball out of defense they turned the screws and penned us in, from their our forward entries were so poor that no one could have influenced the game from our forward line.

What we got last night was a reflection of how opposition supporters have fealt playing us in the last year and a bit. Not nice is it.

Maybe this year?
Saintsfan
Club Player

35...LEGEND wrote:
Saintsfan wrote:
35...LEGEND wrote:
Saintsfan wrote:
mullet wrote:
Saintsfan wrote:

Cheer up buttercup.
Well if it went wrong for three weeks this week we should be looking at avoid a 4 match losing streak....

The Saintsfan Cometh
bigred
Saintsational Legend

No one likes a knee jerker.

:P

Saintsfan
Club Player

rexy wrote:I think what Ross is trying to say is it is not about our forward structure, and i for one agree. Until we can get the ball out of the middle or defense with some kind of cleanliness, we will not even know how our forward structure is.

Kosi started well last night when the game was new and nervous and teams were feeling out the contest. As soon as they realised that we were not willing to work hard enough to break the lines and get the ball out of defense they turned the screws and penned us in, from their our forward entries were so poor that no one could have influenced the game from our forward line.

What we got last night was a reflection of how opposition supporters have fealt playing us in the last year and a bit. Not nice is it.
Kosi started well but then the supply just ceased and he was never in a good position if and when it did finally come down his way.

I thought Milne was on last night. He looked good and looks in great touch however again like Kosi the ball did not get anywhere near him.

The Saintsfan Cometh
35...LEGEND
Club Player

Saintsfan wrote:
35...LEGEND wrote:
Saintsfan wrote:
35...LEGEND wrote:
Saintsfan wrote:
mullet wrote:
Saintsfan wrote:

Cheer up buttercup.
Well if it went wrong for three weeks this week we should be looking at avoid a 4 match losing streak....
Very lucky not to be i would think.

Again,are you happy with the last few week's ?
Do you see any need for concern ?

GSG
Club Player

Saintsfan wrote:
mullet wrote:
Saintsfan wrote:

Well, we had a very good team in 1998, just coming off a good season including a GF, but the opposition figured us out, and we could not overcome this obstacle.

Look at the Hawks. A flag, but everybody figured them out and they cannot get out of the hole.

Now I’m not suggesting that the Saints are in a hole, but hell, we need some radical changes to beat a whole lot of fast running teams, probably just about everybody is faster running that the Saints. It’s a bit worry, and changing a team’s game plan in the short term is very, very difficult.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

GSG wrote:
Saintsfan wrote:
mullet wrote:
Saintsfan wrote:

Well, we had a very good team in 1998, just coming off a good season including a GF, but the opposition figured us out, and we could not overcome this obstacle.

Look at the Hawks. A flag, but everybody figured them out and they cannot get out of the hole.

Now I’m not suggesting that the Saints are in a hole, but hell, we need some radical changes to beat a whole lot of fast running teams, probably just about everybody is faster running that the Saints. It’s a bit worry, and changing a team’s game plan in the short term is very, very difficult.
Difference being we have won more games than Hawthorn this year, than they have over the past two...

Not to mention the fact that only two teams have won one more game than us this year :shock: