Clint Jones

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

FQF
SS Life Member

Clint Jones

Didn't get to see the game, but read in the paper that Clint had the job on Hodge, who had a best on ground performance.

Dirty day for Jonesy or was he alright in other aspects?

SaintWal
Club Player

It was half half IMO. I believe, only from watching, that he has been asked to hunt his own ball when he gets a chance and hurt the opposition stars. If this is correct I don't think he is as effective a player as he was as a pure tagger.

Foz
Club Player

Are we short a classy mid and he is being more attacking to counter this?

Ray played on Hodge at the 1st bounce and was standing 10 metres from him. WE seemed to play on plenty last night with several cross ground moves to pressing defenders. The mindset was more attack.

I thought Saints won the general play but were susceptible all night at the clearances.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SaintWal wrote:I don't think he is as effective a player as he was as a pure tagger.
Agree. He's at his best when he's concentrating on stopping as his primary role. When he's doing that somehow he also becomes a ball magnet.

If we are short a classy mid, Steven may be the man to step up. Something about him.

saint vince
Club Player

I don't think he really played on anyone in particular.

On Rioli at times Hodge at times on no one at times.

He just sort of played as an onballer.

supersaints
Club Player

From my reckoning he kept changing apponents, he seemed to be taking on the fresh center player sent in to get a clearance

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Pure supposition, I don't think Jones has been playing as tight on opponents in 2010, and I think it's by direction. Not dissimilar to Ling-Dal in the Geelong game, we know we've got a guy who can erase a lot of mids, and are encouraging Jones to concentrate on the offensive side of his game for now.

That's what I hope anyhow. If Jones goes the route of Sewell, he doesn't have the clean ballwork to play pure offense.

There's also a degree to which Hodge is just about untaggable. He runs and extracts like a mid, but has the marking and bodywork to play short key position. Much like Goddard, can onyl be taken out with a successful team focus, and as often as not, you just distract your team by trying.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
spert
Saintsational Legend

Hodge plays straight and attacks the ball at all cost, and it's no good having taggers giving him latitude then trying to run with him, you need to be between him and the ball. I wasn't at the Collingwood game, but from what I saw, it seems that Swan had a pretty clear run at the ball most times. Maybe our tagging system needs a rejig for certain players.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

saint vince wrote:I don't think he really played on anyone in particular.

On Rioli at times Hodge at times on no one at times.

He just sort of played as an onballer.
Listening to the commentary, they couldn't work out who Jones was on.

He might be playing on his opponents more head-to-head this year, instead of being just a straight tagger.

If that's the case, he's getting beaten too often and I'm missing his weekly scalps.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

i think jones, gilbo joey, and lenny should all be rested for 1 game in the next 4. they all need a break and have done their share this year.

we need them fresh for that the first week of finals.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:i think jones, gilbo joey, and lenny should all be rested for 1 game in the next 4. they all need a break and have done their share this year.

That worked well last year. Never really got our best form back. If they really need a rest then do it otherwise keep them playing.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:i think jones, gilbo joey, and lenny should all be rested for 1 game in the next 4. they all need a break and have done their share this year.

That worked well last year. Never really got our best form back. If they really need a rest then do it otherwise keep them playing.
then we should do it sooner this year.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:

Also, top four still isn't a cert and the Bombers, Tigers, Crows, Kangas and even Port will be no easy knock off's based on our form.

If we are going to give players a rest, then one player at a time, instead half the team at once.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Maybe they could practice their shots on goal while they rest, because that was pretty much the only thing that didn't work last year after that.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

then we should do it sooner this year.
Or even better still not at all if not required.