We must control Harbrow

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

We must control Harbrow

... he's averaged close to 40 rebounding possessions against us last 2 encounters. .. I think 38 and 36 running bouncing possessions to be exact.

We can't afford to let him do that again.

I hope RL has an effective plan for Harbrow this time around... or is he just relying on being 3rd time lucky ?

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Time for Harbrow to be JONESED!

Harbrow is a key no doubt. Shut him down & their run off half back (with Murphy up forward) will struggle.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:Time for Harbrow to be JONESED!

Harbrow is a key no doubt. Shut him down & their run off half back (with Murphy up forward) will struggle.
Griffen should be Jonesed I reckon.

Perhaps Eddy (if he plays) or Mini could play a forward defensive role on Harbrow

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
samoht
Saintsational Legend

We know Baker is quick .. it would be strange to see him forward, but could that be a match up ?

BonoRocks
Club Player

samoht wrote:We know Baker is quick .. it would be strange to see him forward, but could that be a match up ?
not as stupid as it sounds, he isnt a bad shot for goal id like to see eddy out and baker played forward. Definately an option..... He simply must be played this week he will be needed next week should we make it..

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

Interesting idea, can't see it happening. McQulater or Eddy will get that role, Jones will be going to Griffen, just like he'd go to Cooney if he was playing.

Carpe Diem
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:We know Baker is quick .. it would be strange to see him forward, but could that be a match up ?
Bakes was quick but any more. Chances of him playing are 1000 to 1 IMO.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: We must control Harbrow

samoht wrote:... he's averaged close to 40 rebounding possessions against us last 2 encounters. .. I think 38 and 36 running bouncing possessions to be exact.

I hope RL has an effective plan for Harbrow this time around... or is he just relying on being 3rd time lucky ?
yeah. when they have harbrow and the coon dog running rampant they really bother us. luckily coon dog is out so we can give harbrow more attention.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Bakes will play, but not on Harbrow. That job goes to Eddy.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Stop Harbow and Griffen and the jobs done.
Or conversley,stop Boyd and Cross getting it out to Harbrow and Griffen, and the jobs done.

Bring back the Lockett era
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:Stop Harbow and Griffen and the jobs done.
Or conversley,stop Boyd and Cross getting it out to Harbrow and Griffen, and the jobs done.
As always, midfield battle is huge. Lenny is a class above Boyd and Cross, and if he plays like he usually does, will obviously go a long way towards us winning. I want to see Dal rip a final to shreds as well.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Want a dollar on that at those odds Plugger :wink:

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Do either of Bernard or Patrick have sources on their Baker stories.

PM me if you're feeling generous.

AccidentallyTim
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Bakes will play, but not on Harbrow. That job goes to Eddy.
Who would come out for Baker?

I thought Eddy would be the one because Dempster is the chosen one, I can't think of anyone else that would miss out tho

Fortius Quo Fidelius
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saint patrick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Want a dollar on that at those odds Plugger :wink:
Sorry that was supposed to be on Harbrow. Wouldnt have a clue if he will actually play but is 1000 to 1 to play on Harbrow if Harbrow plays back. BS seems to know he is playing. must be all that inside knowledge he gets.

saint vince
Club Player

samoht wrote:... he's averaged close to 40 rebounding possessions against us last 2 encounters. .. I think 38 and 36 running bouncing possessions to be exact.

Can you explain this stat? Are you sayng he has had 38 and 36 bounces in our last two games or 38 and 36 posesions when he has bounced it or just 38 and 36 possesions?

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

saint vince wrote:

Can you explain this stat? Are you sayng he has had 38 and 36 bounces in our last two games or 38 and 36 posesions when he has bounced it or just 38 and 36 possesions?
38 and 36 disposals
amny of them running
some of them also bouncing the ball as he ran

Bardon Saint
Club Player

The dogs stats from the last game we played against them are overinflated. They possessed too much. Rather than looking at Harbrow's numbers, I found his dash from the back line/breaking lines to really hurt us.

GO SAINTS!

samoht
Saintsational Legend

Sydney recently kept Harbrow to 11 possessions - Roos had a plan to stop him - RL needs to do the same.
Maybe he should ring up his friend and get some tips ?

What concerns me is that Harbrow had 2 consecutive "blinders" against us - Why ? - as he probably "only" averages 20 possessions/game.

If we restrict him to 11 possessions (instead of 36 or 38) .. it'll be like finding another 25 plus possessions... we need to do it.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:Sydney recently kept Harbrow to 11 possessions - Roos had a plan to stop him - RL needs to do the same.
Maybe he should ring up his friend and get some tips ?

What concerns me is that Harbrow had 2 consecutive "blinders" against us - Why ? - as he probably "only" averages 20 possessions/game.

If we restrict him to 11 possessions (instead of 36 or 38) .. it'll be like finding another 25 plus possessions... we need to do it.
I'd suggest - as some still think re Swan - that Lyon said 'well Harbrow may get 30, but something will only come of 5-10, therefore we'll focus our defensive attention elsewhere ie blokes who penetrate with accuracy forward of centre...

But without Cooney, there's one less danger to quell, so Harbrow this time would get the clamps well and truly put on him. He won't like it either.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

BonoRocks wrote:
not as stupid as it sounds, he isnt a bad shot for goal id like to see eddy out and baker played forward.
191 games, 34 goals. i can't remember the last time he kicked one - the stats say he hasn't kicked a goal since round 20, 2007. (though that's only 39 games because he missed 2008.)

eddy should play and he, peake and mcqualter should rotate on harbrow, murphy and gilbee. if eddy, mcqualter or dempster are poor this week - and we get through - then bakes might have a shot for next week. but if he plays this week, he won't come up for next week - if we get through.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
191 games, 34 goals. i can't remember the last time he kicked one - the stats say he hasn't kicked a goal since round 20, 2007. (though that's only 39 games because he missed 2008.)
v Freo in Launceston after the siren? Or was that a point?

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

samoht wrote:... he's averaged close to 40 rebounding possessions against us last 2 encounters
That's pretty staggering and also unacceptable.

Saints players have to be switched onto this and shut him down,

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

Stop him, yes. But not with Jones. If we are to win this game, Jones MUST go to Griffen. Easily their most damaging player and Jones can at least somewhat negate him. Maybe just let someone like Joey or Eddy go head to head with Harbrow.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

OneEyedSainter77 wrote:Stop him, yes. But not with Jones. If we are to win this game, Jones MUST go to Griffen. Easily their most damaging player and Jones can at least somewhat negate him. Maybe just let someone like Joey or Eddy go head to head with Harbrow.
I reckon RL needs to play a close checking HF flanker on Harbrow (it could be Montagna or Eddy) and show him some due respect this time .. and make sure there's some close checking on Gilbee too for that matter.

Just restrict the rebound ! .. and prevent a leaking boat, as it undermines every other positive thing that we do.
Last edited by samoht on Fri 17 Sep 2010 2:30pm, edited 2 times in total.