AFLPA >>>> Baker example for Change.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

AFLPA >>>> Baker example for Change.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/p ... 15gcq.html
Prendergast said the Steven Baker suspension was an example of the need for the change to empower the tribunal to moderate penalties.

He said players' punishments should not be loaded by penalties for offences committed in the same game. He said loadings were designed to be a disincentive to re-offending but when a second and subsequent offence occurred in one match a player was unaware they had been found guilty of the first offence when additionally punished for a second offence.

"With Baker they considered each charge in isolation and added them up without consideration of the total match. Baker couldn't know in the game that he had been charged and found guilty of one offence when he has committed a subsequent offence," Prendergast said.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
battye
Saintsational Legend

It's a shame Baker couldn't demand to be reimbursed from the AFL for the games he missed... missing out on match fees from restraint of trade or something like that.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
karnak
Club Player

what compensation is appropriate for potentially ending a players career?

Sam Gilbert you are an EXCITEMENT MACHINE!
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

What is this? Bakers Law Mk IV? How many changes will Bakes instigate before he is finished? :roll:

Fortius Quo Fidelius
St Michele
Club Player

Re: AFLPA >>>> Baker example for Change.

saintbrat wrote:http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/p ... 15gcq.html
Prendergast said the Steven Baker suspension was an example of the need for the change to empower the tribunal to moderate penalties.

He said players' punishments should not be loaded by penalties for offences committed in the same game. He said loadings were designed to be a disincentive to re-offending but when a second and subsequent offence occurred in one match a player was unaware they had been found guilty of the first offence when additionally punished for a second offence.

"With Baker they considered each charge in isolation and added them up without consideration of the total match. Baker couldn't know in the game that he had been charged and found guilty of one offence when he has committed a subsequent offence," Prendergast said.
Pity they weren't a bit more vocal when it happened, they were disgraceful in their silence...

Michele
Goals are dreams with deadlines!!
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

The whole penalty/system in regards to Bakers suspension just sickens me! Half the carry over points he'd accumulated were from tummy taps and trips for gods sake! P1ss-weak!!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
On the Bench
Club Player
Location: Perth. Where Foxtel has now allowed me to watch my beloved Saints each week.

St. Luke wrote:The whole penalty/system in regards to Bakers suspension just sickens me! Half the carry over points he'd accumulated were from tummy taps and trips for gods sake! P1ss-weak!!
I agree with you Lukey.

The main part of the frustration is associated with the subjective "sufficient force".

Each of Bakes' taps and a punch or 2 were deemed to be sufficient for 2 weeks. Yet Juddies' elbow on Pavlich (most obvious example) and others were deemed insufficient force. The only way this can be rectified is to allow players to defend themselves by comparing their charge with precedence.

I know the AFL don't want it, but it will keep all parties honest and fair.

I am still hurting from 71;
my gut churns thinking of 97;
2009 was agony,
2010a was a pleasure to watch only to be devastated by 2010 b.
It hurts barracking for the Saints
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Still think he should bring about legal proceedings against the panel as they obviously didn't go in with a neutral mind set. they went in already with their judgement.

If the Saints win a premiership his earnings and opportunities over his lifetime would have been severely compromised by the fact that he missed. If it came time to payout from their own pockets, you would see all the finger pointing back at the AFL house. Direct interference would be my guess.

He could easily argue that the penalty was not commensurate with other penalties given in similar scenarios. I would even suggest grossly excessive. Precedents are not taken into account at the tribunal but they are in the legal world.