Luke Darcy Comments v Richmond Game

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

eppo67
Club Player

Luke Darcy Comments v Richmond Game

I thought this would be a good time to bring this one out guys.
I remember watching the Tigers game late in the season up here on TV in Sunny QLD. Darcy said something in the last quarter and I though thank God I thought I was only one who could see this as clear as day. I went and wrote it down and here it is and I quote (at least 99 % accurate)

"You just get the feeling the Saints are holding something back. After winning all those H & A games last year and not taking out the big one. I know Ross LYON takes about Round 26 to his players and I get the feeling their plan is to peak for that period of the season. I think LYON has them coasting a bit."

Go to the top of the class Luke that is just what is happening.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Just like Sainter K, I do wonder about all those closed training sessions... and up until now, we have virtually only done just what is required. No more, no less.

It really could be the perfect storm brewing.

Raven
Club Player

I've actually thought this many times this year, especially during our most recent game against the Pies.

Ross Lyon likes to keep his cards close to his chest, it seems.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

If this was the case, I would have preferred a more emphatic performance last week.

We just haven't been able to put 4 quarters together, 2 and a half against the Cats, and 2 against the Doggies.

I'm pretty sure that we are trying to peak now, but I really hope we're not a week or 2 behind where we need to be, because if we don't come out with our very best footy, the 'Pies will roll us.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

See I don't think the performance against the Dogs in the first half was that bad. I watched the replay and thought we had the better of them, especially in the first.

I just think the week off for all it's advantages, lessened our skills a little.

I am happy with the momentum we will bring into this game.

The Richmond game was very unique, it actually showed how capable the boys are of a shoot out.

Superboot
SS Hall of Fame

Interesting that a couple of people have brought up the Dogs game last week.

If we weren't coasting in the first half, why did our intensity suddenly explode at the start of the 3rd quarter?

First half it looked as if we could blow them away if only we could flick the switch. 2nd half, we flicked the switch.

When it happens, it doesn't simply look like a skills issue.

ThePunter
Club Player

Against the Doggies we had the better of the play for the majority of the first half, it was just that we were incredibly wasteful.

Second half we got the ball in deep and kicked easy goals.

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

ThePunter wrote:Against the Doggies we had the better of the play for the majority of the first half, it was just that we were incredibly wasteful.

Second half we got the ball in deep and kicked easy goals.
Yeah, this. Our disposal was deplorable in the first half - something like 55% - we imporved to around 70% or so in the third.

python
Club Player

We would've blown the cats and the dogs away if we had've kicked straight for goal. Some of the misses were inexcusable, and must not happen this week. Particularly if collingwood gets a few lucky bounces like they did last week!

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

python wrote:We would've blown the cats and the dogs away if we had've kicked straight for goal. Some of the misses were inexcusable, and must not happen this week. Particularly if collingwood gets a few lucky bounces like they did last week!
It was a bit wet which did not suit us but once the ground dried out a bit we were more efficient.

Also, the dogs were very good in the firts half and gave it everything I thought. I think that the firts half will hold us in good stead for Saturday, or that's what I'm taking out of it anyway.

I'm hoping we held back against the pies in round 16 and have a few surprises to bring to the party.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.