I know it's only small but it gives me confidence

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

maz1685
Club Player

I know it's only small but it gives me confidence

Inside I am a mess but I'm putting on a brave face to try and get through the next few days.

Anyway, seeing stupid things like a Crocodile and Octopus picking Collingwood gets me down (sad I know)

But then I watched the end of the Footy Show tonight and jumped on to Herald Sun site to find that Ablett, Judd and Bartel all tipped the Saints.

I know most of the media tipped Pies but I (and obviously most people) regard these guys as superstars of the game and am genuinely excited by their votes of confidence.

Is that sad? P.S. Does anyone know who Leigh Matthews tipped?

Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

Re: I know it's only small but it gives me confidence

maz1685 wrote: Is that sad? P.S. Does anyone know who Leigh Matthews tipped?
Looking at an article he wrote on the 20th of September, looks like he is thinking Collingwood, does not say outright but I would think he will tip the pies

http://www.afl.com.au/leigh%20matthews/ ... fault.aspx

"All logic points to a Collingwood win. The Magpies' form, fitness and emotional calmness makes them look so much more in the zone."

In Ross Get lost!

I am excited to stay at St Kilda and this is a great result for the Club and all our fans. I’m proud to be part of the Saints and am pleased to be playing football with the Clubâ€
maz1685
Club Player

Dal_Santos_Gal wrote:
Looking at an article he wrote on the 20th of September, looks like he is thinking Collingwood, does not say outright but I would think he will tip the pies

"All logic points to a Collingwood win. The Magpies' form, fitness and emotional calmness makes them look so much more in the zone."
Thanks for that, I highly rate his opinion and usually think he's right...but here's hoping on this occasion he's wrong.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Lol!!! That bloody octopus! :lol:

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
Saint Mik
Club Player

maz1685 wrote:Inside I am a mess but I'm putting on a brave face to try and get through the next few days.

Anyway, seeing stupid things like a Crocodile and Octopus picking Collingwood gets me down (sad I know)

But then I watched the end of the Footy Show tonight and jumped on to Herald Sun site to find that Ablett, Judd and Bartel all tipped the Saints.

I know most of the media tipped Pies but I (and obviously most people) regard these guys as superstars of the game and am genuinely excited by their votes of confidence.

Ablett, Bartel and Judd have all gone on the record of saying that you lose the big one and then get the rare chance to back it up the next year is such a big influence on players mindset.

Hope they are correct, time will tell.

Forget the past, Saints footy, One better in 2010
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

I haven't been able to sleep all night because of the obvious but also because we couldn't believe it when we saw an owl outside our window shortly after Ross Lyon appeared on the footy show last night. I think it was a tawny frogmouth or something like that, and it was perched like a messenger on the corner of our potruding roof with the bright night clouds as a silhouette.

It's a funny thing you know because it just kept looking over at us.

In many cultures, owls signal an underworld or serve to represent human spirits after death; in other cultures, owls represent supportive spirit helpers and allow humans (often shamans) to connect with or utilize their supernatural powers. (ok, I googled this bit)

But I'm thinking Jack Barker and his mighty son.

I'm not one for spirits or omens, but I've never seen a wild owl before, and we're in the city, and this thing was immense.

For me this is the sign.

Forward I march to the MCG.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
matrix
Saintsational Legend

signs are there....we just never seem to look for them

indeed...on we march

TO VICTORY!!!!!!!!

peoples, this is going to be an upset
they will be talking about this for years

we will win 8-)

Bowey Boy
Club Player

Jennifer Hawkins has tipped the Saints !!

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
missgez
Club Player

Thanks guys this post has given me a chuckle (esp that JHawk tipped us!)

I too get disheartened by the media but this week it has been so ridiculously pro-Collingwood that I have almost just lost interest and that has been a blessing.

One more sleep!

GO SAINTS!!!

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

St. Luke wrote:Lol!!! That bloody octopus! :lol:
It's not the octopus though.

I think some Russian dude bought the real one for about $120k after the World Cup.

Saints43
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:It's not the octopus though.
Exactly. And if you stopped and listened to the opinions of every octopus you met there wouldn't be enough hours in the day.

roxanne
Club Player

And every octopus seems to under rate our bottom six

"He spoke of his stride, his power and his willingness to push himself to exhaustion. All of the things that are on display each weekend in the No 12 jumper" Garry Lyon
SideshowMilne
Club Player

Millars Saints Owl

I was curious at MillarSaints post above and did some research to see if we fdo indeed have a Saintly mascot.

Googled - St Kilda Owl

which returns this (i reckon its your bird) and reasons are below

Powerful Owl in St Kilda

On Thursday 4 May I received a report from Neil Blake that a single Powerful Owl was roosting in the St Kilda Botanic Gardens high up in a group of cypress trees, a first ever record of this owl species in the gardens . I went to see the owl in the late afternoon to find it holding a half eaten pigeon (rock dove) under its foot. On returning to the site in the early evening the owl was observed eating the rest of the pigeon and during this process disgorged some pellets of indigestible matter consisting of bones, fur and feathers. After swallowing the last morsel of pigeon the owl walked up and down along the branch rubbing its beak against the branch, presumably to clean off any remaining scraps of food. It flew a short distance to another low branch approx 2.5 above the ground (to pose for that great image with its wings out spread) before flying off into the night.

So I google st kilda and 4 may 2006 (2006 was the last thursday 4th) and low and behold I found the reason for the owls vicious behavior

Dockers relieved to be awarded victory. 4 May 2006. Tasmania Summer News

Australia : TAS : Tasmania Summer
Thursday, 4 May 2006. 14:25 (AEDT)
Dockers relieved to be awarded victory
Fremantle Dockers chief executive Cameron Schwab says he is relieved the outcome of last Sunday's round five match in Launceston has been settled now that St Kilda has decided not to challenge the result.

Raven
Club Player

roxanne wrote:And every octopus seems to under rate our bottom six
:lol: :lol:

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Re: Millars Saints Owl

SideshowMilne wrote:I was curious at MillarSaints post above and did some research to see if we fdo indeed have a Saintly mascot.

Googled - St Kilda Owl

which returns this (i reckon its your bird) and reasons are below

Powerful Owl in St Kilda

On Thursday 4 May I received a report from Neil Blake that a single Powerful Owl was roosting in the St Kilda Botanic Gardens high up in a group of cypress trees, a first ever record of this owl species in the gardens . I went to see the owl in the late afternoon to find it holding a half eaten pigeon (rock dove) under its foot. On returning to the site in the early evening the owl was observed eating the rest of the pigeon and during this process disgorged some pellets of indigestible matter consisting of bones, fur and feathers. After swallowing the last morsel of pigeon the owl walked up and down along the branch rubbing its beak against the branch, presumably to clean off any remaining scraps of food. It flew a short distance to another low branch approx 2.5 above the ground (to pose for that great image with its wings out spread) before flying off into the night.

So I google st kilda and 4 may 2006 (2006 was the last thursday 4th) and low and behold I found the reason for the owls vicious behavior

Dockers relieved to be awarded victory. 4 May 2006. Tasmania Summer News

Australia : TAS : Tasmania Summer
Thursday, 4 May 2006. 14:25 (AEDT)
Dockers relieved to be awarded victory
Fremantle Dockers chief executive Cameron Schwab says he is relieved the outcome of last Sunday's round five match in Launceston has been settled now that St Kilda has decided not to challenge the result.
I LOVE IT

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
degruch
Saintsational Legend

maz1685 wrote:
Dal_Santos_Gal wrote:

Thanks for that, I highly rate his opinion and usually think he's right...but here's hoping on this occasion he's wrong.
He also wrote the long bomb will beat St Kilda every time...I hope Mick read that one, our backline will ammass a record number of uncontested marks.

RodKeoghsLoveChild
Club Player

Jesus.. I used to say the same thing when I look down between my legs...

Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

RodKeoghsLoveChild wrote:Jesus.. I used to say the same thing when I look down between my legs...
You have small feet?

RodKeoghsLoveChild
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:
RodKeoghsLoveChild wrote:Jesus.. I used to say the same thing when I look down between my legs...
You have small feet?
No, big feet small thongs.

Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

My Octopus is tipping a Saints win! :D

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:My Octopus is tipping a Saints win! :D

Brilliant - a red white and black ringed octopus

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
LaUrEnCe
Club Player

None of those makes me less nervous or more confident.. but Fev just tipped us on Before the Game haha..
Mentioned he was a saints supporter as a kid and can't stand the Pies' arrogance (naturally)

Let's hope there is a footy god :lol:

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

f*** that octopus and f*** that crocodile

Rise above it

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
saint3d
Club Player

maz1685 wrote:
Dal_Santos_Gal wrote:

It might be twenty years, but he's still emotionally attached.

saint3d
Club Player

Saint Mik wrote:
maz1685 wrote:Inside I am a mess but I'm putting on a brave face to try and get through the next few days.

Ablett, Bartel and Judd have all gone on the record of saying that you lose the big one and then get the rare chance to back it up the next year is such a big influence on players mindset.

Hope they are correct, time will tell.
I hope so too, but I wonder what Brisbane players would have to say about that?