Who's negotiating trades for us? !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Who's negotiating trades for us? !!

AFAIK we don't have a list manager right now. Matthew Drain announced some time ago that he would be finishing up at the end of the season !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Eastern, at the end of the season, would not he be required to take part in the draft and trading? Or has he gone already?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Eastern, at the end of the season, would not he be required to take part in the draft and trading? Or has he gone already?
But would you want him to in the circumstances :shock:

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
borderbarry wrote:Eastern, at the end of the season, would not he be required to take part in the draft and trading? Or has he gone already?
But would you want him to in the circumstances :shock:
I would hope that he has gone already. He's a career football administrator. He will pop up somewhere else !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Bardon Saint
Club Player

The live feed on afl.com.au suggested that Ross Lyon casually walked in to the area that they do trades. By-passing the media along the way. It looks like he has a formal role in the process. It didn't say if anyone was accompanying him though

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Bardon Saint wrote:The live feed on afl.com.au suggested that Ross Lyon casually walked in to the area that they do trades. By-passing the media along the way. It looks like he has a formal role in the process. It didn't say if anyone was accompanying him though
Was it more of a sache' than a casual walk?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:
Bardon Saint wrote:The live feed on afl.com.au suggested that Ross Lyon casually walked in to the area that they do trades. By-passing the media along the way. It looks like he has a formal role in the process. It didn't say if anyone was accompanying him though
Was it more of a sache' than a casual walk?
:)

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

After last year I amazed he has returned...

If I was the President there is no way I would allow Ross LYON to get within 2 miles of the trade venue. Last year after the emotion of losing a GF tainted his decision making and he made some terrible blunders.

How is it going to be any different this time around !

Give him the time off and let him clear his head Mr WESTAWAY !

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Re: After last year I amazed he has returned...

WinnersOnly wrote:
If I was the President there is no way I would allow Ross LYON to get within 2 miles of the trade venue. Last year after the emotion of losing a GF tainted his decision making and he made some terrible blunders.

Rubbish.

Ross held his nerve when the Filth tried to rip the club off. It backfired in the end but I still 100% support Ross' actions during trade week last year (including getting Lovett and Peake).

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Animal Enclosure wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:

Rubbish.

Ross held his nerve when the Filth tried to rip the club off. It backfired in the end but I still 100% support Ross' actions during trade week last year (including getting Lovett and Peake).
Yep, agree. Tried to stop us being shafted by the Filth. However, as draft tampering is allowed if you dress it up prettily enogh, we were always going to get screwed on that one.

Ross has done well during Trade week in the past. Lovett was a fantastic pick up, just didn't work out. No one could have predicted what was to follow......

Fortius Quo Fidelius
FQF
SS Life Member

Animal Enclosure wrote:
Rubbish.

Agreed.

He has the best football brain at our club and he knows what the team needs more than anyone else.

If he was in charge, and had good information sources, then I would be confident.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

He went into trade week trying to secure Lovett and Everitt, both would of been pretty handy...

derby Street
Club Player

Fair to say in all reports so far the Saints have not had a huge presence. Plenty of time yet but I would still like to see us sniffing about trying to get a "bargain" The Filth have got right into it. Still can't work out who is representing us - besides Ross?

jroberts:)
Club Player

John Beveridge??

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

jroberts:) wrote:John Beveridge??
Is now a "bit player" in our recruiting as he is semi-retired. List management requires careful planning over an extended period of time !!

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Animal Enclosure wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:

Rubbish.

ROSS was completely arrogant and put his ego in front of the clubs needs. SAINTS should have taken the Wellingham offer or similiar...

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:
Animal Enclosure wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:

Rubbish.

ROSS was completely arrogant and put his ego in front of the clubs needs. SAINTS should have taken the Wellingham offer or similiar...
Still not convinced he was ever offered to us, I'd like to see the article?

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

SainterK wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:
Animal Enclosure wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:

Rubbish.

Still not convinced he was ever offered to us, I'd like to see the article?
I have no proof, but I'm pretty sure Ross was ASKING for Wellingham and they wouldn't give him. They offered pick 30 and Macaffer for something like that from memory.

FQF
SS Life Member

#1GILL wrote:
I have no proof, but I'm pretty sure Ross was ASKING for Wellingham and they wouldn't give him. They offered pick 30 and Macaffer for something like that from memory.
Pick 30 and Goldsack I think.

Worth it? Compared to what we got obviously, but is that what Ball would be worth? Probably not.

FQF
SS Life Member

It was reminded on Saturday night that St Kilda had refused an offer of pick 30 and Sharrod Wellingham last year for Ball, who in the event the club lost for nothing. Wellingham and Ball were among the game's best.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/a ... utostart=1

Don't remember this happening though...

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

FQF wrote:
#1GILL wrote:
Pick 30 and Goldsack I think.

Worth it? Compared to what we got obviously, but is that what Ball would be worth? Probably not.
Yeah, sounds familiar.

On a side note, my sister knows Goldsack's sister, and his mom was delighted for him to be picked for the 2nd GF. She put $5 on him to kick the first goal at $151 and the rest is history...

karnak
Club Player

at the time probably. This year his stocks would be higher.

Sam Gilbert you are an EXCITEMENT MACHINE!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
It was reminded on Saturday night that St Kilda had refused an offer of pick 30 and Sharrod Wellingham last year for Ball, who in the event the club lost for nothing. Wellingham and Ball were among the game's best.

That's what I mean, it's kind of turned into legend, but I don't remember seeing anything about it?

This is more what I recall reading

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/l ... 5784579357

Bardon Saint
Club Player

SainterK wrote:
FQF wrote:

That's what I mean, it's kind of turned into legend, but I don't remember seeing anything about it?
A pies mate has been telling me this all year. I had never see it confirmed. I said if it was the case, wellingham was a bit o a munter this time last year and had no value. Who'd a thought he'd turn out to be a very good player in such a short time.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I have heard that we asked for Wellingham and were refused- he obviously has an ability to spot talent early.

He also asked about Goldsack, pies were resolute on pick 30 or nothing. Dogs said no way 30 for Everett, we shopped around to get a deal done for the Pies by trading 30 and a player to external parties, no one would do a deal. We ran out of time Pies were happy to put a higher price than he was worth to carry him through to them. Draft tampering.\

I think it is better to have a coach involved in recruiting directly, you can get what's needed not someones speculation that you have plenty of already.