Last years trading

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

goyousaints
Club Player

Last years trading

Last years effort at the draft table would have to be our worst ever.Pattison -Lovett -Smith -Ball -Pick 16 ,all gone.
Am hoping history will show our one shining light will be Tommy Walsh.Wise to keep our powder dry this year,lets get some young blood in,thats the future.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Peake has been OK.

Winmar we shall see.

Goose has been OK in Brisvegas.

X Clarke has done SFA.

Jasper Pittard (pick 16) hasn't played yet for Port.

Ball has been the one that really crushed us I reckon.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
saintlee
Club Player

dcstkfc wrote:Peake has been OK.

Winmar we shall see.

X Clarke has done SFA.

What about Lovett?? That ended up so badly, I still shake my head in disbelief! What a disaster!

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

saintlee wrote:

Winmar we shall see.

X Clarke has done SFA.

What about Lovett?? That ended up so badly, I still shake my head in disbelief! What a disaster!
We lost one draft pick. If Tommy Walsh turns out to be a player we break even. Drama for sure, some lost money, but we made the GF and we didn't lose the replay because of Lovett.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
saintlee
Club Player

dcstkfc wrote:
saintlee wrote:

Winmar we shall see.

X Clarke has done SFA.

We lost one draft pick. If Tommy Walsh turns out to be a player we break even. Drama for sure, some lost money, but we made the GF and we didn't lose the replay because of Lovett.
That's a fairly big "if". And I disagree we break even, as we had Tommy already. It was a loss of draft pick, of money, of time, it tarnished our image, and we still have players that need to go to court next year for the trail. Couldn't have ended up worse.

Also, Lovett could definitely have been the difference in the GF, he would have added pace and goal-kicking ability.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:
saintlee wrote:

Winmar we shall see.

X Clarke has done SFA.

we lost our first rounder + luke ball

"one draft pick" doesnt quite explain what we lost.

but im not going to lose sleep over the late pics we lost on patto and jesse w smith or x and goose. i agree on that part.

and dont bring tommy walsh into it. hes not relevant. hes an extra "possible" from outside the system.

goyousaints
Club Player

Walsh definetly comes into it,his was a judgement call made last year as part of our list management.Same as other decisions made.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

goyousaints wrote:Walsh definetly comes into it,his was a judgement call made last year as part of our list management.Same as other decisions made.
what? how do people brains work? apart from buying club spin?
explain the logic please? im dying to hear it.

we got walsh via the international drafting system and via the work of ricky nixon. good work. thumbs up. im rapt about it.

now in the regular drarting system its our job to the best we can with what weve got.

are u going to spin me the yarn that "because we had secured tommy in the int draft, it allowed us to pursue a more risky option with lovett and to play "hard ball" with luke ball".

i know this the spin we have been told but it is inherently illogical. because they are separate an unconnected events. and therefore should not be "connected".

i still genuinely believe we could have got kept 17 for a kid. traded ball for 30 + goldsack. used 30 on lovett. then used 34 (or whatever it was) on winmar.

this strategy would have netted us:

a half decent kid (17)
lovett (30)
winmar(34)
goldsack

AND still had tommy walsh on top.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Can somebody please post a link to the report that stated Essendon was only dealing with us on Lovett?

The only way we could have picked him up for pick #30 is if no other CLub was interested.

IIRC the Club traded for Lovett prior to Ball actually announcing he wanted to leave, late on the Monday of Trade Week.
Obviously the Club's plan was to have both Ball and Lovett on the list, so IMO to connect the trading of Lovett with the departure of Ball is incorrect.

Even the trading for Peake was predicated with the thought of either trading Ball for a draft pick sufficiently high enoug to appease WB for Everitt, or to keep Ball.
The fact that we continued to offer Ball a new 3 year contract, at the same dollars, is testimony to the fact that we wanted to keep him at the value we saw for him.

Ultimately he chose to leave.
Just like Judd chose to leave WCE. (why don't WCE fans seem to 'blame' their Club over that like many on here want to continue blaming St Kilda for Ball deciding to leave?)

The fact of the matter is that the 2009 Trading is being viewed as a disaster because Lovett allegedly committed a disgraceful act and was sacked by the Club.
Notwithstanding some 'prophets' on here claiming they knew he was a 'bad apple' and we should never have traded for him (some of these same prophets were shirty with the Club for not taking Cousins!), nobody could/would/should have predicted that he would do what he allegedly did.

IMO the logic behind trading for him was correct. We were looking to inject a pacy, ready to play, goal-kicking mid/flanker and he was the best available.

Should Collingwood be castigated now for failing to know that Beams was going to be involved in what he has now alleged to have been involved in?

goyousaints
Club Player

If the Walsh experiment works the club gets no credit,that right,we talent spotted him,had meetings with him in Ireland,convinced him to join us,spent the money bringing him here,carry him for possibly a couple of years whilst he learns the trade,then hopefully get some return on the time and money,but he wasn t part of last years decision making by the club,give me a break Sherlock

degruch
Saintsational Legend

saintlee wrote:Also, Lovett could definitely have been the difference in the GF, he would have added pace and goal-kicking ability.
So...it was a bad decision to pick him up, or a good one? Make up your mind. :?

linz
Club Player

I admit I was happy with the recruitment of Lovett when we got him last year. I and our recruiting staff didn't expect rape charges either. OK admit you can't read the future and recruit accordingly.

We needed pace last year and we still do now. Hopefully Stanley and Gilbert up forward and Steven around the centre will add a bit.

Maybe restructuring will help us (and luck) Kosi-ruck, Stanley/Gilbert-forward, Steven/Walsh combo off bench also as Centre addition. With Raph back he can also act as the Swing-Man between back and forward.

We need more flexability in my opinion.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

linz wrote:I admit I was happy with the recruitment of Lovett when we got him last year. I and our recruiting staff didn't expect rape charges either. OK admit you can't read the future and recruit accordingly.

We needed pace last year and we still do now. Hopefully Stanley and Gilbert up forward and Steven around the centre will add a bit.

Maybe restructuring will help us (and luck) Kosi-ruck, Stanley/Gilbert-forward, Steven/Walsh combo off bench also as Centre addition. With Raph back he can also act as the Swing-Man between back and forward.

We need more flexability in my opinion.
we also better find goals from eslewhere and less reliance on Riewoldt......so 1 dimensional.

“Yeah….nah””
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: we also better find goals from eslewhere and less reliance on Riewoldt......so 1 dimensional.
Our forwards output is similar to other teams, it's our midfielders who need to improve in this regard....Joey improved, apart from that much of the same.

onlooker
Club Player

[quote="dcstkfc"]Peake has been OK.

IMO Peake has not been OK. He's OK running in space but he's an inconsistent performer. His disposal by foot is below par, he makes poor decisions when the pressures on in the crushes and I have now seen enough of his finals performances to say he's had his chances. Give one of our younger players some exposure in his place; we'll lose nothing.

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Re: Last years trading

goyousaints wrote:Last years effort at the draft table would have to be our worst ever.Pattison -Lovett -Smith -Ball -Pick 16 ,all gone.
Am hoping history will show our one shining light will be Tommy Walsh.Wise to keep our powder dry this year,lets get some young blood in,thats the future.
Perhaps the most poorly researched post of all time. Ball 16 was the only one that was ours initially, and we traded that one for Lovett (who was a headcase, and stuffed us up). Pattison and JWS were both draft picks from our selections in the National Draft.

The Saints are coming!
matrix
Saintsational Legend

a full bloody forward

oh wait
jack whats his name??

oh yeah hes gone already
what team he play for again??

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Brett Peake had some really good games this year and deserves another year in the seniors. Guys that run fast often don't have great disposal at speed because the faster you are going and the further you run the worse your accuracy gets, same for Gram.

We were f$#@ed over by Connors and the Magpies on Ball, how pissed off was everyone when we were going to get pick thirty for him? They would have been idiots for selling a former captain for nothing. Now with hindsight that thirty looks good, didn't at the time. Collingwood were deliberately dragging their feet to get him through.

Lovett turned out to be like one of those deals where a guy out the back of the pub sells you a $3000 stereo out the back of the pub for $100. We got him home and it was an empty box. I thought we had done a bit of trade magic with him, I think he would have made a big difference to our attack speed out of defence.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

On Jack Riewoldt, he came on this year, but the last few he has looked only average, Mitch morton can't get a game but was ahead of him last year.

If the recruiters had him sitting plugging away in the ressies because they didn't want to play a guy into form in the seniors, we would have thought we only got him for the name.

We are at a different stage than the Tigers, they need to play the kids. Some of our kids are getting bits of game time, but not getting fast tracked like at teams the other end of the ladder.

You can't live looking back or all you see is misses. A tigers supporter mate loves rattling off the trades they stuffed up and the stars that went next in the draft, it kills him. Fiora over Pavlich anyone? Tambling over Buddy? There are a million of them.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

[quote="matrix"]a full bloody forward

oh wait
jack whats his name??[quote]

Anthony?

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I was happy with the Lovett trade and was glad we didn't roll over and accept pick 30 for Ball. Rumours that Goldsack and Wellingham were available have been shot down by Collingwood. Smith was a risk that could have gained us an automatic starting 18 player. Pattison was a strange selection and I think we probably could have rookied him.

We rolled the dice last year and were incredibly unlucky.

saintlee
Club Player

degruch wrote:
saintlee wrote:Also, Lovett could definitely have been the difference in the GF, he would have added pace and goal-kicking ability.
I always supported trading for Lovett, he was exactly the sort of player we needed (and still need). I was just saying what a disaster it turned out to be. I still can't believe how badly it hurt us. I'm not blaming the club for taking a punt on him.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

saintlee wrote:
degruch wrote:
I always supported trading for Lovett, he was exactly the sort of player we needed (and still need). I was just saying what a disaster it turned out to be. I still can't believe how badly it hurt us. I'm not blaming the club for taking a punt on him.
I agree with all that, and feel exactly the same way.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

If Jesse Smith's skills were as good as people indicated, I saw as much a need for his abilities on GF day as well, another risk....but had it come off, certainly an area we are lacking.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:If Jesse Smith's skills were as good as people indicated, I saw as much a need for his abilities on GF day as well, another risk....but had it come off, certainly an area we are lacking.
And we've still got Winmar slipping behind that radar :)