Saints v Geelong R1 2011 MCG

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Saints v Geelong R1 2011 MCG

Another opportunity awaits!
SaintSimmo
Club Player

my tip: St.Kilda by 29 points :wink:

Sainter for life.
StSteven
Club Player

Can't wait...different now in that we are no longer the ones "hunting" the Cats. They will be the ones wanting to prove themselves.

Saints by 32.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

StSteven wrote:Can't wait...different now in that we are no longer the ones "hunting" the Cats. They will be the ones wanting to prove themselves.

Saints by 32.
Recent record against the Cats is excellent.

And given the events in recent weeks down this way there's no doubt they'll be fearing us more than we fear them.

What a big difference to 2007-2009 :)

The Saintsational Man
Club Player

They're not hunting us, they have 2 flags, we have none.

Simple.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

The Saintsational Man wrote:They're not hunting us, they have 2 flags, we have none.

Simple.
One way to look at it.

However apart from the GF last year (when arguably we could have won it anyway) we do now have an edge over them. And I don't think the 2011 playing squad, not to mention new coach Scott, are going to be happy resting on those 2 flags.

So I think they will, in a sense, be hunting us.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Game at MCG = Positive

Friday Night? = Positive

Blockbuster Status = Positive

80,000 Crowd = Positive

Probably away game can also be looked at as a Positive as probable Rd 2 game to be a Home Game (hopefully v Vic based club).

I'm guessing that the bean counters at the club would be very happy with this !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Missed one eastern- In Victoria--positive.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Geelong home game, not a positive, they get the benefit.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:Geelong home game, not a positive, they get the benefit.
If OUR Marketing people are smart enough we'll get a Positive out of it !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

saintnick12
Club Player

3rd generation saint wrote:Geelong home game, not a positive, they get the benefit.
We had the last two years as our home game when there was only one game in the year. Surely Geelong was not happy with last years game being our home game as we had the one the year before. They are certainly due to have it as their home game and I don't have a problem with that - we will have one each next year.

The game will draw a big crowd regardless and will hopefully help to sell more memberships...especially if we win round one, leading into a home game at Etihad in round two..(hopefully).

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
Middo
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:
The Saintsational Man wrote:They're not hunting us, they have 2 flags, we have none.

Simple.
One way to look at it.

However apart from the GF last year (when arguably we could have won it anyway) we do now have an edge over them. And I don't think the 2011 playing squad, not to mention new coach Scott, are going to be happy resting on those 2 flags.

Could have , Should have , but never did. Such a shame we have to keep referring to the only if's...I would gladly trade their edge for our's !!!

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
SaintDebi
Club Player

Ah, its an away game for us? Reading the thread title: Saints v Geelong, I was assuming it was our home game at the G.

Shattered dreams are just opportunities for improvement. Live and learn, fail and try harder. 2011 beckons.
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

SaintDebi wrote:Ah, its an away game for us? Reading the thread title: Saints v Geelong, I was assuming it was our home game at the G.
They haven't given that bit away yet. We'll have to wait till Friday. If it's a HOME game, that is a BIG Positive !!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Middo wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

Simple.
One way to look at it.

Could have , Should have , but never did. Such a shame we have to keep referring to the only if's...I would gladly trade their edge for our's !!!
No doubt Middo, no doubt.

I was simply making the point that the awe with which we (and the other clubs) held Geelong in over that period has vanished. Unlike those earlier years Geelong can no longer run out on the field against us and simply expect to win.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

This is absurd.

Why can't we play Sydney for the 5th time in a row, I mean, we have played in the past two Grannys, plenty of Prelims, surely we deserve to play against a low-drawing low-interest side in the marque round that round 1 is? :roll:

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:This is absurd.

Why can't we play Sydney for the 5th time in a row, I mean, we have played in the past two Grannys, plenty of Prelims, surely we deserve to play against a low-drawing low-interest side in the marque round that round 1 is? :roll:
Don't even say that in jest. The AFL will read it and change it back before Friday !!

Quixote
SS Life Member

We'll prepare for this game like we prepare for any other.

There's another for points up for grabs.

If you're off your game by even 2-3% in AFL footy, you'll get found out pretty quick.

So we'll do our homework and go out and play Saints Footy.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Quixote wrote:We'll prepare for this game like we prepare for any other.

If you're off your game by even 2-3% in AFL footy, you'll get found out pretty quick.

So True. The footy side of things is not-negotiable. Its the profitability side of things that we need to maximize, and the AFL has a massive say in that !!

StSteven
Club Player

and we will take it one week at a time!

sainta
Club Player

If you could have fit a pleasing in there somewhere you would have been Ross to a tee.

Middo
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Middo wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

Simple.
One way to look at it.

No doubt Middo, no doubt.

I was simply making the point that the awe with which we (and the other clubs) held Geelong in over that period has vanished. Unlike those earlier years Geelong can no longer run out on the field against us and simply expect to win.
Agreed I look forward to playing the Cats now .

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
Beej
Saintsational Legend

Also, if the game is tight in the last quarter, our boys will be able to draw on the pain of the last two years and that should be enough to get them over the line.

StSteven
Club Player

Also, if the game is tight in the last quarter, our boys will be able to draw on the pain of the last two years and that should be enough to get them over the line.
I never thought I could laugh about this but you have got me.......boy we should be able to do anything now with "double pain".

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:This is absurd.

Don't even say that in jest. The AFL will read it and change it back before Friday !!
Good point Eastern.

Rogerfox isn't GT, it is actually moi 8-)

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.