Club's reaction to the draw

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Club's reaction to the draw

Following today’s release of the 2011 AFL Fixture, St Kilda Football Club would like to provide its members, fans and corporate partners the following summary of the key components of the Fixture.

Rd 1 season opener blockbuster v Geelong at the MCG
9 home games at Etihad Stadium
2 home games at the MCG
6 games in total at the MCG
Traditional Monday night clash v Carlton at Etihad Stadium
Rd 11 Grand Final rematch v Collingwood, Saturday night at the MCG
Rd 19 Gold Coast Suns match at new Gold Coast Stadium

Television broadcast
- 8 games on Channel 7

- 7 games on Network 10

- 6 games on Fox Sports

6 Friday night games
6 Saturday night games
2 Saturday / 2 Sunday afternoon games

Saints CEO Michael Nettlefold said, “The 2011 Fixture is a powerful fixture for both our interstate and Victorian based members and is appropriate recognition of the performance that has been delivered by the playing group over the last three years, with the Club having played in a preliminary final in 2008 and two consecutive Grand Finals, including a Grand Final Replay in 2010.â€
Last edited by evertonfc on Fri 29 Oct 2010 3:19pm, edited 3 times in total.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Ice Wolf
Club Player

Re: Club's reaction to the draw

[quote="evertonfc"]Following today’s release of the 2011 AFL Fixture, St Kilda Football Club would like to provide its members, fans and corporate partners the following summary of the key components of the Fixture.

2 home games at the MCG

Television broadcast
- 8 games on Channel 7

- 7 games on Network 10

- 6 games on Fox Sports

6 Friday night games
6 Saturday night games

Saints CEO Michael Nettlefold said, “The 2011 Fixture is a powerful fixture for both our interstate and Victorian based members and is appropriate recognition of the performance that has been delivered by the playing group over the last three years, with the Club having played in a preliminary final in 2008 and two consecutive Grand Finals, including a Grand Final Replay in 2010.â€

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Following today’s release of the 2011 AFL Fixture, St Kilda Football Club would like to provide its members, fans and corporate partners the following summary of the key components of the Fixture.

FAIR DINKUM, WTF, TRADITIONAL

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
Ice Wolf
Club Player

barks4eva wrote:

We traditionally play the Monday night game (sure its only happend twice)

How we got picked to be the traditional monday night team i don't know.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

[quote="Ice Wolf"][quote="evertonfc"]Following today’s release of the 2011 AFL Fixture, St Kilda Football Club would like to provide its members, fans and corporate partners the following summary of the key components of the Fixture.

2 home games at the MCG

Television broadcast
- 8 games on Channel 7

- 7 games on Network 10

- 6 games on Fox Sports

6 Friday night games
6 Saturday night games

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Ice Wolf wrote:
barks4eva wrote:

We traditionally play the Monday night game (sure its only happend twice)

How we got picked to be the traditional monday night team i don't know.

So the criteria is if you do something twice it's now called tradition!

VERY strange!

ThePunter
Club Player

The Monday night is fine, but I'd be much happier with the bye after the Monday night, rather than sending us up to Brisbane for the Easter Thursday match and us getting the bye the week before match.

The Monday night game means you have the smallest possible break - we finish at approximately 10:00pm Monday night, and play 1:10pm Sunday afternoon - a 5 day 13 hour break where the normal six day break is at the least 5 days 20 hours.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

ThePunter wrote:The Monday night is fine,
Monday night is an awful time to play an AFL match, you've got be kidding surely?

snowdelisaint
Club Player

I enjoyed Monday night

ThePunter
Club Player

I've been out of town the last two Monday night games, but as someone who is involved with local footy, any time other than Saturday afternoon has advantages.

I love Saturday nights because we always win, Friday nights because it's always a good weekend if you win on Friday night (and it leaves a pretty much free weekend), and Sundays but not twilight because it screws my sleeping patterns up. I need time to decompress after a game, and that twilight game is neither early enough to do that, or late enough that you have the whole day to do other things.

SaintWodonga
Club Player

what about 16 night matches? Not very good for people in the country areas.

You either drive home, which is risky, or increase your expenses & stay in a hotel.

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

SaintWodonga wrote:what about 16 night matches? Not very good for people in the country areas.
True, it's not, but the exposure brought about by the fixture is sensational. If we can capitalise on it by playing well, we will get more power in future draw arrangements.

Which means, like the big clubs, we get more matches at times of our choosing.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

ALL Friday Night games are IN VICTORIA........

only the Thursday night is I/S But it is still school holidays....,.- although easter. and end of school holidays- better than being Sunday and end of school holidays.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
SinCitySaint
Club Player

I hated the Monday Night game this year. It stuffed with my week and I for one will not go to the game next year.
Thursday night is also a shocking idea but given it is Interstate I don't really care as much.
Football is for the weekend, Monday is for analysing the weekends performance and maybe watching the premier league highlights show, depending on the time of year.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

The fact remains is Collingwood is still being spoon-fed the most games (of any club) at the MCG. That's the real joke!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
ThePunter
Club Player

Collingwood's MCG deal needed to happen for the new stand to be built. No use continuing to complain about it - it's not about to change.

saintphantom
Club Player

St. Luke wrote:The fact remains is Collingwood is still being spoon-fed the most games (of any club) at the MCG. That's the real joke!
1 Premiership. Ever stop to think this is why? The whinging that goes on here is deafening.

Who gives a f*** about other teams. If Saints are good enough then win. Simple really. :roll:

Eric Bana Saints Supporter 'Says it all'

'big fucker passes it to the little Fucker, then back to the...f*** I hate it when they do that'
suss
Club Player

saintphantom wrote:
St. Luke wrote:The fact remains is Collingwood is still being spoon-fed the most games (of any club) at the MCG. That's the real joke!
1 Premiership. Ever stop to think this is why? The whinging that goes on here is deafening.

Who gives a f*** about other teams. If Saints are good enough then win. Simple really. :roll:
This useless piece of crap actually has a point.

Collingwood bring huge numbers to games and every Melbourne team wants to play them. It's not all their fault that they barely travel. If we want to win a premiership, we can't expect an easy ride.

saintphantom
Club Player

suss wrote:
saintphantom wrote:

This useless piece of crap actually has a point.

Collingwood bring huge numbers to games and every Melbourne team wants to play them. It's not all their fault that they barely travel. If we want to win a premiership, we can't expect an easy ride.
Crap is useful!!!

Eric Bana Saints Supporter 'Says it all'

'big fucker passes it to the little Fucker, then back to the...f*** I hate it when they do that'
bigred
Saintsational Legend

I actually know about half a dozen people who will not renew their memberships on the back of that draw.

Friday night games with kids under are difficult.
Night games in general with kids under five are difficult.

We travel SIX f****** times AGAIN.

Monday night bulls***. Give that to the fkn Gold Coast. Make it their fkn tradition.

This is a shyte draw. The only good thing about it is that we get Channel 10 covering 16 of our games. They at least respect the game enough to broadcast in HD.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
stairwaytoheaven
Club Player

We don't fuss about the draw to much. For the past 3 Seasons we have been to one game per year and then grand final when the saints make it.Our kids are involved in their footy and netball, we are happy to hand our money over to the team we love as that is all we know. GO SAINTS. We are still waiting for the photo of tghat great mark that Brendon Goddard took.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:I actually know about half a dozen people who will not renew their memberships on the back of that draw.

Friday night games with kids under are difficult.
Night games in general with kids under five are difficult.

We travel SIX f****** times AGAIN.

Monday night bulls***. Give that to the fkn Gold Coast. Make it their fkn tradition.

This is a shyte draw. The only good thing about it is that we get Channel 10 covering 16 of our games. They at least respect the game enough to broadcast in HD.
agreed....

Why the Club bothers with a farking survey and then turn around and say they are happy with it.

They maybe happy with the venues but what about the days and times FFS :roll:

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Solar
Saintsational Legend

very happy with the fixture. If we are travelling I would rather see us get the GC and not two trips to WA. three times the amount of games at the MCG is fantastic and we have melbourne games round 1 and 22.

At the end of the day not everyone is happy. Some LOVE friday and saturday nights and some love sundays.....

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
sainter35
Club Player

I'm not sure why we always seem to get the maximum amount of interstate games every year. I mean looking at the draw, a team like Melbourne who voluntarily play a home game interstate (Darwin) have less trips than us.

That shouldn't happen.

From a purely financial standpoint the draw is outstanding and it's recognition from the AFL that we are a powerful football club on the field AND with the large supporter base to match.

In terms of the opposition we play it's not easy. We didn't seem to avoid playing most of the big guns twice. Playing 6 games at the MCG is something I've wanted for our football club for a very long time. However, with that comes the fact that we play less at Etihad Stadium where our record is quite remarkable. It may very well cost us a game or two but in the long run I think it's good for our team. It might just make that little extra bit of difference in the finals.

We don't seem to have as many as those annoying twilight games which is good and while I sympathise with the country/families who aren't happy with all of the night games I don't think it's possible to have a draw that pleases everybody. The thousands of people who play footy every saturday will be able to get to more games for instance. Besides, I'm one of those selfish people that try to look at the draw from the persepctive of what is best for OUR club, not whether I can get to 12 games or 16 games.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

One thing that I heard is that Geelong play 4 games against sides who are coming off a bye. That's is a large number!!!

But I am more about the days and times we play, and not really happy with it

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!