We played well and were unlucky

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

We played well and were unlucky

This is a positive thread.

It was easily our best performance of the year.

Regular whipping boys Kosi and Dempster went well. Young Siposs was terrific. BJ got better as the game went on. Blake made some mistakes but also did more good things than his critics notice. Likewise, McQualter did some good stuff.

There seem to be some players who can do a dozen good things and nobody notices, but if they make one mistake, everyone jumps on them. Blake and McQualter are in this category. Sam Fisher made some mistakes tonight. So did Steven and Schneider. CJ made heaps. Nobody criticises them. Why?

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Agreed.

The fight was back.

The players looked to enjoy the fight.

I'm already starting to look forward to the game next week. When your team has a red hot f****** go, you feel better about it.

Now, we just need to transplant Goddards brain back into his body. Currently his brain is in another dimension.

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
goddardisgod
Club Player

Our problem is not a form slump, it's not bring able to win! Excluding Essendon, we have:

383 points for
393 points against

And have only been able to secure 6 of a possible 20 points.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

I actually think that within his limited range of abilities CJ is playing a bit like a man possessed ATM.

Raph was horrible tonight. He just was.

McQualter scraps and toils and tries, but his work is too often undone by howlers. So too Blake. Equally inescapable.

Siposs showed promise, but I would have liked a bit more attack of the ball rather than the hang down and run forward for the cheapie. He'll get shown up in the video review for sure. And he'll be better for it. You can't hide at AFL level.

Kosi looked a much better player. Agree re Dempster.

I couldn't fault Fisher. Busted his arse.

Schneider bobbed up. Steven didn't.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Joffa 5
Club Player

Thinline wrote:I actually think that within his limited range of abilities CJ is playing a bit like a man possessed ATM.
He's so much better when he takes the game on and kicks. It looks awkward but he gets the job done. When he looks to pass off by hand, it falls a part IMO

AccidentallyTim
Club Player

Joffa 5 wrote:
Thinline wrote:I actually think that within his limited range of abilities CJ is playing a bit like a man possessed ATM.
He's so much better when he takes the game on and kicks. It looks awkward but he gets the job done. When he looks to pass off by hand, it falls a part IMO
Spot on.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
stinger
Saintsational Legend

from a comment on the hun...

"Frustrated Saints Fan Posted at 9:18 PM Today

Ross Lyon, coach this team or leave! Watching the same terrible mistakes week in and week out, nothing ever changes. Rooey tries his heart out, but cannot kick a goal from a standing start. It is losing us games. Dumb play is killing us, it seems not one footy brain in the whole team to take charge. Bad passes, inaccurate handballs and kicking are making us look second-rate. Start showing some emotion Ross, and make players accountable by dragging or dropping to the VFL for a few weeks. Maybe a whole training session just kicking for goal may help. I will go back to the TV now after getting this of my chest and hope things improve."

about right, imhfo....
:cry: :cry: :cry:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

You're kidding aren't you!

[img]I have never seen such a confused bunch of footballers since ti
Watsons era! Disgraceful coaching effort ![/img]

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Agree with the OP

Liked the balance, more of an even contribution than previous weeks, a few fluffed kicks...but you get that when you attempt to play on.

In the context of what balance of attack and defend I believe the team is trying to achieve, give me an out on the full kick forward, than a kick backwards any day.

Still transition footy, but enough to think that it's starting to click.

Liked the forward 'structure' tonight, just not quite there in the execution.

Like Roo playing the link kick in the F50 rather than the designated goal kicker.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Yeah it was the best for the year but we have dropped off so much its sad.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

I'd like to believe this was our springboard! I've been waiting for the trigger...I believe I might have just seen it! Go Saints!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

We played our best game of the year and still lost. What does that tell you?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:We played our best game of the year and still lost. What does that tell you?
Dunno, but I have to tell you that I actually loathe your attempt at art, and it's hard to move on from those moments if you feel the need to immortilise them.

Just saying.

Richter
SS Life Member

ralphsmith wrote: I'm already starting to look forward to the game next week. When your team has a red hot f****** go, you feel better about it.
+1

Nearly didn't go tonight. Very glad that I did.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
SaintPav wrote:We played our best game of the year and still lost. What does that tell you?
Dunno, but I have to tell you that I actually loathe your attempt at art, and it's hard to move on from those moments if you feel the need to immortilise them.

Just saying.
You wouldn't even have known what it was if I hadn't told you.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
SainterK wrote:

Just saying.
Yes I would of, remember I asked (when it was in colour) why you would freeze frame that those particular moments?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

We are reinventing a game plan on the hop, lost a spiritual leader, had a controversial off season came back under done and with injuries. we have lost a few we would have won last year, playing with a few new faces. we need to find some kind of settled working forward line, Johnson was concussed, Kosi played one and was gone again, Schnider missed the start. Ray and Dawson out. f*** 09 we hardly had an injury and played the most settled side in the comp. It makes for confidence in each other and a team game as your spot is held if you do your role.

If we continue to struggle we build for next year, if not we struggle into the 8 and try to cause an Adelaide type of scenario.

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Have the lads forgotten how to win a close one?! Evidently, it would appear to be the case! This was CLEARLY our best performance of the season (not saying much mind you), and we couldn't apply enough scoreboard pressure. Even when we snatched the lead at the end (and Carlton looked appalling at that point), we couldn't get over the line....

Full marks for effort, but that's really one we should have won! :( :twisted:

The Saints are coming!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
SainterK wrote:

Just saying.
Yes I would of, remember I asked (when it was in colour) why you would freeze frame that those particular moments?
To show how close we were...

I'm going to change it (again). Just have not got around to it so don't worry.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

unlucky :lol:
oh dear.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
SainterK wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
SainterK wrote:

Just saying.
To show how close we were...

I'm going to change it (again). Just have not got around to it so don't worry.
Happy?

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

True Blue Sainter wrote:Have the lads forgotten how to win a close one?! Evidently, it would appear to be the case! This was CLEARLY our best performance of the season (not saying much mind you), and we couldn't apply enough scoreboard pressure. Even when we snatched the lead at the end (and Carlton looked appalling at that point), we couldn't get over the line....

Full marks for effort, but that's really one we should have won! :( :twisted:
Agreed, they just can't win the tight ones anymore. They used to be the masters at protecting less than 6 point leads in the dying stages, but now they can't hold on. Eg, the GF1, R1 v Cats and now this.

Great game of footy though.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
sRaf
Club Player

Two weeks in a row where we fight back after half time and get so close, but not close enough.

These slow starts or second quarter fade outs need to be addressed during the week. We can't afford to start slow against Hawthorn who are generally quick off the bat.

The signs are there. All we need now are four consistent quarters.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Not trying to have a go at a first gamer but Siposs was anything but terrific. I actually think it was a big mistake taking Cripps off for Raph. We needed pace and it should have been Siposs off for Raph or better still Raph sitting on the bench all game.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Not trying to have a go at a first gamer but Siposs was anything but terrific. I actually think it was a big mistake taking Cripps off for Raph. We needed pace and it should have been Siposs off for Raph or better still Raph sitting on the bench all game.
I heard on MMM Cripps hurt his knee?

Thought it was out of neccessity rather than strategy?