the kids

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

the kids

what do we know about them so far? Who will make 100+ game players for us?

Armitage - will make it, can't wait to see him in 2012 with Lenny at the coalface.

Stevens - will make it, fast and tough and has added clearances to his bow.

Sipposs - looks good early and will improve, great kick for goal.

Cripps - injuries and health concerns are real issues, if they are sorted, he's a player with dash and skill.

McEvoy - the guy is still 20 I believe, will make it, great tank, holding marks now, but 2 years off winning the ruck consistently.

Winmar - bit early to tell, something about him concerns me a bit, not the quickest thinker, but we'll give him some time to find his feet

Johnson- like the look of him, and understand the comparisons to Sam Fisher....

Stanley- I really liked the look of this guy last year, would have put him down to make it, but not so sure this year. Mental issues?

look forward to seeing Ledger and Walsh next. Love the way they attack the footy.

Thoughts?

Nee!
battye
Saintsational Legend

McEvoy is nearly 22, but I agree with your assessment. He is becoming very valuable around the ground, but his ruck work is still a big concern. They say ruckmen take a while to develop, so another 2 years to get his ruck work up to scratch sounds about right. If he can start winning ruck contests, he will quickly become one of our most valuable players.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

McEvoy won't be in his prime for another 6 years. There are lots of positive signs to like about the bloke. I reckon he's a ripper. Strong mark, good at ground level for a ruckman, clean hands, and seems to be a solid kick for goal.

Winmar
Club Player

Re: the kids

fugazi wrote: Winmar - bit early to tell, something about him concerns me a bit, not the quickest thinker, but we'll give him some time to find his feet

Stanley- I really liked the look of this guy last year, would have put him down to make it, but not so sure this year. Mental issues?

On Winmar, BJ was a rather slow thinker earlier in his career too, and he's turned out ok! Hopefully Nick will do likewise.

Rhys hasn't really shown a lot that I've seen. Has he actually done anything in a St Kilda jumper since that NAB Cup game v Collingwood? He is still young though, so I'll give him time. :)

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Winmar wrote:
fugazi wrote: Winmar - bit early to tell, something about him concerns me a bit, not the quickest thinker, but we'll give him some time to find his feet

On Winmar, BJ was a rather slow thinker earlier in his career too, and he's turned out ok! Hopefully Nick will do likewise.

Rhys hasn't really shown a lot that I've seen. Has he actually done anything in a St Kilda jumper since that NAB Cup game v Collingwood? He is still young though, so I'll give him time. :)
If anything Rhys is in a very similar boat to Ben. He's a very raw young ruckman, has shown he can take a grab & is just ludicrously athletic.

He's also 2 years younger than Ben, so supporters should cut him the appropriate amount of slack. He'll be a ripper though, I have little doubt.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I'd throw Geary in here too,
Although he doesn't get a lot of love on here…
He's only 22-23,
Managed to break into the side when we were absolutely flying, wasn't able to hold his spot but I think he has potential and would blossom from a couple of months at the top level (after some VFL form of course)

+ Lynch & Heyne are far from done yet…
Last edited by dragit on Mon 30 May 2011 11:36am, edited 1 time in total.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

agreed
always thought he was a good grab overhead for his size
bit like ray ray

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Winmar wrote:

For every BJ, there's a Raph Clarke, so we're gonna need to be patient with Winmar I think.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

dragit wrote:I'd throw Geary in here too,
He's only 22-23,
Managed to break into the side when we were absolutely flying, wasn't able to hold his spot but I think he has potential and would blossom from a couple of months at the top level (after some VFL form of course)
agreed I see he is slowly getting back to fitness

he has proven he is hard, can kick a goal and compete, just needs to believe that he is a footballer at the top level

and he can become an important player for us

spert
Saintsational Legend

I notice Eddy got heaps of the ball in VFL, any chance down the track of a return to seniors?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

How far is geary away from playing vfl anyone?

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:How far is geary away from playing vfl anyone?
Broke his leg didnt he be a bit away

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Ralphy wrote:
Don't think it was a bad break and think he may be training.

But that's just what I think

Could be wrong.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Good post.
fugazi wrote:

Thoughts?
Stanley is younger than Ben, and probably not as robust to start with.

I think he still has a good upside.

If he does not become good enough asa No 1 ruckman...he could be an ideal No 2 as he can rotate thru the forward line.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:I'd throw Geary in here too,
He's only 22-23,

…
Geary has many good qualities like you say.

Unfotnately the bad one he has is bad ball use, though perversely yes he does seem to be able to kickgoals.

He could well stil make it as he knows how to find the ball.
could bea mid, or a Baker replacement.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Ralphy wrote:

Could be wrong.
got out on the grass last week according to Misso ( see last weeks injury update video.)

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
bob__71
Club Player

saintbrat wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
Ralphy wrote:

Could be wrong.
got out on the grass last week according to Misso ( see last weeks injury update video.)
Wouldnt that show up in the urine tests?

busso mick
Club Player

bob__71 wrote:
saintbrat wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
Ralphy wrote:

Could be wrong.
Wouldnt that show up in the urine tests?
Just testing out his joints :wink:

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Good to see some love for Eddy and Geary, they are both players that are tough, they havn't set the world on fire but both are fringe players who haven't even hit the mandatory 50 games to see wether they are going to be good. The coaching staff obviously see those guys as next in line as they got the last spot on the list for about 12 games each for the last couple of seasons. Eddy was written off after a less than dominant GF where he broke an arm and played on, if we won he would be a hero, instead he is another on the list of whipping boys. I love Geary's game especially, he is a mad prick who plays the ball like he has been on the jungle juice, he crashes in like he forgets that his head might get damaged. It was what I liked about the collingwood traitor too. Mad attack on the ball at all costs, takes his turn to go in hard.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

geary was one of the speakers at the sponsors luncheon at the game against the dees.....said he was only a couple of weeks away....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Sobraz
SS Life Member

gringo wrote: who haven't even hit the mandatory 50 games to see wether they are going to be good.
I haven't hit this mark either... Does this mean I am still potentially good enough at AFL level, just haven't been given a go??

Sometimes you can tell in a game or 2 if someone isnt up to it...

Sweeny, Howard, Heyne, have all shower in recent seasons only after a game or 2 that they will never be AFL footballers... It doesn't take 50 games...

It took Ross Lyon 20 odd to see what many could see after 4-5 games with Eddy... He will never reach the level required...

Alternatively, Sippos, Cripps and even Lynch just this week showed they will be good in just a handful of games...

Its the ones with obvious talent early on, but consistency problems, that need 50 odd matches to hit their straps... Gwilt and Gilbo prime examples...

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:
gringo wrote: who haven't even hit the mandatory 50 games to see wether they are going to be good.
I haven't hit this mark either... Does this mean I am still potentially good enough at AFL level, just haven't been given a go??

Sweeny, Howard, Heyne, have all shower in recent seasons only after a game or 2 that they will never be AFL footballers... It doesn't take 50 games...

It took Ross Lyon 20 odd to see what many could see after 4-5 games with Eddy... He will never reach the level required... 

Alternatively, Sippos, Cripps and even Lynch just this week showed they will be good in just a handful of games...

Its the ones with obvious talent early on, but consistency problems, that need 50 odd matches to hit their straps... Gwilt and Gilbo prime examples...
I wouldn't put Heyne in the same company as Sweeney and Howard.

Yes he may not be still here next year but it is not written in stone. Still reckon he has something to offer and I believe he'll get another chance at senior level before the year's out.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Sobraz wrote:

I wouldn't put Heyne in the same company as Sweeney and Howard.

Yes he may not be still here next year but it is not written in stone. Still reckon he has something to offer and I believe he'll get another chance at senior level before the year's out.
Pretty sure he will be with us in some form next year as he has a contract and also agree with what you say about comparing them.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:

I agree. Been saying all along the same thing. These kids don't have to be featuring in our best players each week, even at all. They don't have to be getting great numbers, but they do have to show something. For mine Lynch was incredibly disappointing last year for a first round draft pick. I reckon RL thought the same thing and he has been given a year to work on his game - his next game was far far better. Showed much better composure and lot's more grunt. Let's hope he's ok to play again this weekend.

Remember the average amount of games of each player on a list is about 12 or something ridiculous and they last on a list about 3-4 years on average. Does every player have to be given 50 games to have a call made on them? BJ for all his indecisiveness and mistake prone ways early on, had the body and skills of a footbller. Just needed a bit of reprogramming. Big Macca is 22 years old. I think he needs another year or two to build up and get more confidence, but another 6 years? :shock: So he won't play decent footy until he's 28? That's one hell of an investment.

Armo imo, contrary to what many on here think has been given a fair go under the circumstances of how we have been tracking in the last few years. He's doing much better and playing more consistently - I'm tipping he's working far harder on the track than he was 3-4 years ago too. Sometimes it takes a few years for the penny to drop for some guys re what it takes to be an AFL footballer. I see him Armo in the Stephen Powell mould. Will never be a superstar, but will be a very valuable player to our club in years to come.

Cripps, Winmar, Heyne, not sold on at all yet. Siposs I think will make it. Not all these blokes are going to go on to be future 100 gamer's for our club, a good proportion will fall by the wayside, and I hope we don't have to play them for 50+ games to find out.

saintjake
Club Player

ITS STEVEN!