Milne - heart and soul of this club

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Milne - heart and soul of this club

Can't help but love how milne is carrying himself and helping this team and club.

He is so passionate, seems to be really embracing the young players and being the glue of this team.

Is he the most under rated saint?

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

No doubt about that. I still believe that he has not received anywhere near the recognition that he deserves as a player. He has played 224 games and kicked 456 goals. That's an average of more than 2 per game. He is currently number 62 on the all time goal kicking chart and will soon be in the top 50. Another year will see him in the top 40. Only Leigh Matthews (in terms of player height) has averaged more per game than Stephen Milne - and he was quite a good player. Stephen missed out on AA twice to players who performed worse in the season than him. Then again, Lenny missed AA last year so the selectors are obviously nuts. There has never been a better snap kick for goal in the history of the game (and that includes Peter Daicos).
Last edited by perfectionist on Sat 11 Jun 2011 10:30am, edited 1 time in total.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

I think there is a case to argue that Lenny is still the heart and soul of this club. But I see your point, the gimme that he gave to Tommy Ledger was brilliant, then the celebration was even better.

Just imagine how Milney's record would look if he'd not played on and stuffed up all those shots, or been given half the frees he earnt/deserved over the years. There is definitely a case to argue that he is one of the greatest small forwards ever to play this game, but because his name is Stevie Milne that call will never be taken seriously...

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

I agree Solar, he has a great goalkicking record for a small foward, plays with spirit and passion. He does not get anywhere the recognition he deserves in the media or from football fans in general. Don't think there would be to many small fowards with his record.

I love this club
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Milne - heart and soul of this club

Solar wrote:Can't help but love how milne is carrying himself and helping this team and club.

He is so passionate, seems to be really embracing the young players and being the glue of this team.

That really showed out last night.

Tess
Opposition Fan

I think it was disgraceful the way those Collingwood supporters went out and bought/shop lifted Doggies jumpers and then said nasty things to Stevie in the guise of being Bulldog supporters!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Tess wrote:I think it was disgraceful the way those Collingwood supporters went out and bought/shop lifted Doggies jumpers and then said nasty things to Stevie in the guise of being Bulldog supporters!
I think it is disgraceful that morons post on other clubs websites.

Kate
Club Player

Gee, spot the troll. :roll:

I can't find enough superlatives for Milney. Should go down as one of the all time greats.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Tess wrote:I think it was disgraceful the way those Collingwood supporters went out and bought/shop lifted Doggies jumpers and then said nasty things to Stevie in the guise of being Bulldog supporters!
I wouldn't put it past them Tess..your fellow suppporters are the reason for the way the game now views racial vilification and are still renowned for their foul mouths at the game, trying to throw off is a type of vindication of just that.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

go away troll.. :roll:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

i can't for the life of me understand where thomas was coming from wanting to trade milne.....doubt we would have made any of the three grand-finals without him either....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:i can't for the life of me understand where thomas was coming from wanting to trade milne.....doubt we would have made any of the three grand-finals without him either....
my only fault of GT is that he wouldn't admit that poor piece of judgment on his part..

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Watch his delight when he dished off to Tommy Ledger for his first AFL goal. Just about broke his ribs

After the game he took his flag over to the memberss wing, give it to a lil un, looked up to L2 and 3 and waved..hi 5'd a security guard then ran back looking at the crowd and pumping his fist into his chest

You talk about guys playing for the money and not being attached..not Milney, this bloke would take a bullet for the Saints. Totally understands the 2nd chance he got under RL

Love the bloke to death

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

They were bogan trash, so yeah it's possible. One thing is for sure, the crime rate is higher when the filth aren't playing.

Now run along and bash old people like a good filth slag.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

He is actually getting better with age and his all round game has really improved. He could play another two seasons I think.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I reckon this one stat proves how good Milney has been. Only played 19 games more than Jonothan Brown and has only kicked 30 less goals and Brown is rated one of the best 5 of his era. When you look at that you realise how good Milney is.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I reckon this one stat proves how good Milney has been. Only played 19 games more than Jonothan Brown and has only kicked 30 less goals and Brown is rated one of the best 5 of his era. When you look at that you realise how good Milney is.
That is an amazing stst.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Milney is one of the teams all time greats.

456 goals Av 2 a game.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

And to think Thomas was going to get rid of him!

FAIR DINKUM

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Badlands
Club Player

At one point during the game last night, one of the commentators made the point that the game was being played 'without emotion'. Albeit from the comfort of my living room, i had to agree. Everything looked a bit flat for a little while. Enter Milney - the way Milney celebrated not just his - but his teammates' goals (esp those late goals from Bakes and Ledger) he just really tries to give the boys a liftwhen they're flat.

It is a shame he will never get the respect he deserves from those outside of the club, but Milney being Milney - I don't think that would faze him too much. He would be more concerned about commanding respect internally and there's no doubt his efforts are recognised by those that matter.

"I'm in the middle of a long conversation with my audience. It'll be a lifelong journey for both of us by the time we're done." - Bruce Springsteen.
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Great post. About time Milney got due recognition. His record speaks for itself. How he has missed out on AA selection in his career is a mystery. Paul Medhurst was AA on the back of one season in which he kicked 48 goals. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Milney has kicked 50 or more in a season at least 4 times. One of the most under rated and unfairly maligned players of all time.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
bigred
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:And to think Thomas was going to get rid of him!

FAIR DINKUM

I thought he was gonna play him in the ruck..?

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:
barks4eva wrote:And to think Thomas was going to get rid of him!

FAIR DINKUM

I thought he was gonna play him in the ruck..?
So he was really going to ruck him off :wink:

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

maybe Given Lenny is the 'heart and soul'

maybe Milney could be seen as the 'Pulse'

ad every the opportunist he could be the face of our Pulse pharmacy sponsorship- :wink:

with thanks to Robbo for promoting the Saints Sponsors-
Saints find faint pulse in match against the Bulldogs
Mark Robinson

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
georgie girl
Club Player

Re: Milne - heart and soul of this club

Solar wrote:Can't help but love how milne is carrying himself and helping this team and club.

Ditto
We too were all saying that after the game!