Anyone hear ...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Anyone hear ...

... Billy Brownless whingeing about the Selwood suspension on the grounds that there was no conclusive footage of it.

Didn't hear him coming to Baker's defence over the Farmer incident a few years back.

Let's face it. Selwood copped his right whack for snotting someone behind play.

kp83
Club Player

I couldn't believe how pathetic it was. Billy, he hit the guy behind play (which he admitted to) and he ended up with a perforated ear drum - case closed. Doesn't matter that you think he is a good/fair player.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

kp83 wrote:I couldn't believe how pathetic it was. Billy, he hit the guy behind play (which he admitted to) and he ended up with a perforated ear drum - case closed. Doesn't matter that you think he is a good/fair player.
Some people have a hard time divorcing themselves from the incident v the individual.

By all reports Joel Selwood is a terrific bloke and nobody can question his courage on the field. He plays it hard. He has, in past, played it fair.

That doesn't mean that the AFL can excuse an incident as serious as this. An off the ball hit (open hand or not) that was delivered to the side of the head with enough force to perforate an ear drum. That is no school boy slap!
It is virtually impossible to slap someone in the ear whilst not facing them.
So whether it was open hand or clenched fist should not matter. I am pretty sure the MRP categories don't distinguish. It is not hard to see how the classifications were derived for this incident.
Conduct: Intentional. As stated to slap/punch someone in the ear means that the players were face to face. Not a reckless or careless act.
Impact: High. Perforated ear drum says it all.

I am not sure how any video footage would have helped him.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: Anyone hear ...

bigcarl wrote:... Billy Brownless whingeing about the Selwood suspension on the grounds that there was no conclusive footage of it.

Didn't hear him coming to Baker's defence over the Farmer incident a few years back.

f*** me....player goes to ground......with a ruptured eardrum......enough evidence for me..... :roll:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
kp83 wrote:I couldn't believe how pathetic it was. Billy, he hit the guy behind play (which he admitted to) and he ended up with a perforated ear drum - case closed. Doesn't matter that you think he is a good/fair player.
Some people have a hard time divorcing themselves from the incident v the individual.

By all reports Joel Selwood is a terrific bloke and nobody can question his courage on the field. He plays it hard. He has, in past, played it fair.

That doesn't mean that the AFL can excuse an incident as serious as this. An off the ball hit (open hand or not) that was delivered to the side of the head with enough force to perforate an ear drum. That is no school boy slap!
It is virtually impossible to slap someone in the ear whilst not facing them.
So whether it was open hand or clenched fist should not matter. I am pretty sure the MRP categories don't distinguish. It is not hard to see how the classifications were derived for this incident.
Conduct: Intentional. As stated to slap/punch someone in the ear means that the players were face to face. Not a reckless or careless act.
Impact: High. Perforated ear drum says it all.

I am not sure how any video footage would have helped him.
Interesting point you make.
Just wondering how many times Jim O'Dea was reported/suspended in his career up to the time of the 'Greening incident'?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Anyone hear ...

bigcarl wrote:... Billy Brownless whingeing about the Selwood suspension on the grounds that there was no conclusive footage of it.

Don't want to talk about the Baker incident because none of us saw it. And at least one poster on here has suggested Bake's has admitted to the incident in private conversations.

But BB's defence of Selwood last night was ridiculous. The fact you may be a player with a clean record, that you may be an elite player and that you may be really upset does not warrant a different outcome.

Any player faced with the evidence that was available would have got done.

This is simply something Selwood can't duck from :wink:

westy
Club Player

A forceful push eh, Billy? Guerra hit the deck like a sack of spuds! $ weeks is fair. Baker got over two months for extending his hand in friendship to Johnson!

I'm livin' in a madhouse
clisaint
Club Player

Selwood- with his ducking and general cheating- is fast becoming my least favourite player in the league. Which is an effort, given how good he is.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

So I take it everyone was happy with the Baker suspension after the Farmer incident.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:So I take it everyone was happy with the Baker suspension after the Farmer incident.
no, but it set a precedent. so long as the rules are implemented consistently I have no complaints

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Poor old Billy even struggled to read the script (probably written by the GFC PR Dept) he had in front of him. Billy, Selwood & Geelong would be better advised to listen to what some of the veteran Tribunal reporters had to say when Selwood/Geelong tried to use the same line on Tuesday Night. Graeme Bond basically said that what Geelong/Selwood brought to the Tribunal did nothing more than waste the Tribunal Panel's time !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:So I take it everyone was happy with the Baker suspension after the Farmer incident.
no, but it set a precedent. so long as the rules are implemented consistently I have no complaints
Well we still said our bit about how rough the suspension was so IMO Billy is entilted to say what he said and the most valid point he made is they have to have better behind the goal vision.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:the most valid point he made is they have to have better behind the goal vision.
they could bring that in for selwood. special rules for special players :wink:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:the most valid point he made is they have to have better behind the goal vision.
Dont get that. He got the same suspension as Bakes.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
Dont get that. He got the same suspension as Bakes.
for once they've got it right. doesn't happen often.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Also.........The longer Geelong people (like Billy) go on about it, the more the tide of public opinion will go against them. They would be better served to cop their whack and move on. The more they carry on the more they look like a pack of whingers !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:Also.........The longer Geelong people (like Billy) go on about it, the more the tide of public opinion will go against them. They would be better served to cop their whack and move on. The more they carry on the more they look like a pack of whingers !!
agree. listening to them bleat about it is music to my ears. they are a precious lot when it comes to "duck" selwood

St Lenny
Club Player

The fact is, we have had to accept the punshment handed out to Bakes, deserved or not (another topic), and I don't recall our ex players having a "public" whinge about it. 2 points I would like to make.

1. Geelong are a pack of whingers and have been for a long time.

2. The biggest injustice in football was Guiansercusa's hit on Koz and that filthy little dog got away with it.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

Talking a bunch of crap, swaying public opinion.......
To paraphrase Basil Fawlty, "This is exactly how Nazi Germany started!".

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
degruch
Saintsational Legend

No, probably because everytime I see BB about to open his mouth my onboard narrator intecepts and translates it as "Blah, blah, blaaaaaah".

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:No, probably because everytime I see BB about to open his mouth my onboard narrator intecepts and translates it as "Blah, blah, blaaaaaah".
Is this something you wear as you're using your onbaod narrator?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

That incident with Farmer still has me fuming!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

The whole reporting process is hopeless !!!! Umpires used to make reports and the media were basically not allowed to show any vision or talk about the cases till after the hearings , Nowdays the umps seem to leave just about everything to the MRP ( I know it was behind play and they may not of seen this particular incident .) this allows trial by media , which can sometimes prejudice a case . E.G. bakes last year , i went to that game last year and saw a tough contest between two tough nuts , on the car ride home , I listened to every cat supporter crying how SJ was manhandled and how biased the umps were , by monday the media wanted bakes hung drawn and quartered , when you see the vision , in three of the four things bakes got done for , the umpire was right there and did nothing !!!!

lefty
Club Player

Geelong supports whinging again, yet if its Baker, give him 3 months.

Joke at the highest regard, the fact of Guerra's injury was never going to favor Selwood.

Was lucky to only get 4 weeks, as I said, if it was Steven Baker, he'd get 10 weeks and some AFL clown representative saying how bad he is and its not part of our game, yet no one says a word about Selwood.

Imo, what Baker did (niggles) was far less damaging than what Selwood did.

Never mind, all I hear is complains from Geelong supports, the push in the back to Gwilt wasn't there and you should of lost, Baker is a thug, what else?

I don't like Geelong one bit, whingers.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

pretty sure players all across the country get suspended without video evidence.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "