St Kilda vs Brisbane Lions rd 6 2004

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mcadam05
Club Player

St Kilda vs Brisbane Lions rd 6 2004

Sadly its only for mins but still

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

I noticed after seven years, that the field umpire indicates that Aussies' kick was a point. I always thought it was very close.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
noreason41
Club Player

kosifantutti23 wrote:I noticed after seven years, that the field umpire indicates that Aussies' kick was a point. I always thought it was very close.
Haha i remember seeing it, and it was clearly out by a good few meters.

Out of interest, was this before they extended the height of the goal posts?

Winmar
Club Player

That was a great night. And yep the height of the goalposts was increased after that.

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

noreason41 wrote:
kosifantutti23 wrote:I noticed after seven years, that the field umpire indicates that Aussies' kick was a point. I always thought it was very close.

We must be watching different videos. The ball swings late but I reckon it crossed the line very close to the point post. The field umpire was in a very good position.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
mcadam05
Club Player

how good was the goal by Milne :D

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti23 wrote:
noreason41 wrote:

We must be watching different videos. The ball swings late but I reckon it crossed the line very close to the point post. The field umpire was in a very good position.
Many will disagree but I'm 100% with you kos23.

Always thought it was a point, always will 8-)

noreason41
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:
kosifantutti23 wrote:
noreason41 wrote:

Many will disagree but I'm 100% with you kos23.

Always thought it was a point, always will 8-)
Just watched it again. Bloody hell that's close. It seems to be just inside/in line with the post, before it swings out.

And is that Robert Walls?
I just want to say, we need two goal umpires at each end.
Just what we need, more umps.

noreason41
Club Player

Not to mention that crowd when Shwarze goals....can't hear the commentator. Amazing.

I Love Peter Kiel
Club Player

That's fantastic.

A bit sad, too. That 2004 side was on the way UP. You would've thought they'd just have to get a flag in the next few years....
Sadly, in the Prelim we didn't have Kozzi.

How good was Gehrig? Other faces...Heath Black. Guerra!

Nostalgia.

The game was so much more open then. No cheating Collingwood and Geelong backmen 'tunelling' Riewoldt.

In honour of those who went before, in the dark and desperate years.
Broodruff
Club Player

First thing I noticed?

The noise! Holy crap the noise the crowd made for us...

At the end of the game I had to check it was just a regular season game, not a final... where is that sort of support these days?

Yes the circumstances are a little different, but my oh my.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

the crowd got into it more back then...because footy was better!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
mcadam05
Club Player

desertsaint wrote:the crowd got into it more back then...because footy was better!
Crowd "got in too it " cause the style of play was enjoyable too watch the media go on about how the last two years have taken alot out of the players with our style of play but hell its taken alot out of us the pepole who pay good money too watch it

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

To this day I still swear the 'point' was valid. The late swing made it look like a miss, especially on screen. From the top deck above (where I was) I had no idea of any controversy. Just assumed it was a point such was my view.

And from that day forth I've never been able to stand Quarterbrain. His 'wasn't even close' commentary still sounds like a spoilt, petulant child who didn't get the right toy for Christmas. He fair dinkum sounds like he might cry.

Must have had money on the result.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
matrix
Saintsational Legend

put it in the video sticky :D

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

I Love Peter Kiel wrote:...Sadly, in the Prelim we didn't have Kozzi..
Nope. We had Kosi, but not Aaron Hamill, who was injured in the last H&A game against Freo. He missed the PF the next year too, and there went our flags.

mcadam05
Club Player

matrix wrote:put it in the video sticky :D

it is :wink:

matrix
Saintsational Legend

mate that thread rocks
im a tad behind in it, buts it good seeing them all in the same spot, easy to find.
8-)

Munga
Saintsational Legend

Ah Xavier Clarke, so sad, so promising.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Good stuff :D

FWIW, I also reckon they should have two goal umpires. Scores win and lose you matches so 4 eyes are better than two (or should that be 8 eyes). One can cover the goal line while the other gets behind the ball and sees if it touches the post (Hawkins anyone)?

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Gee that brand of footy was great to watch, to bad we were devestaed by injury on the finals.

Quatermains commentary sounds best with mute button on.

The crowd noise was unbeleivable, and whdn Schwarz kicked that goal it was spine tingling stuff.

As for the point, I still say it was out on the full, but who cares!!!

I love this club
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Typical channel ten commentary.

As soon as Schwarze kicks the goal...."lets look at the Jones point again"...

The only good thing that Channel ten brought to football was HD telecasts.

I sprained the crap out of my ankle when Scwatta kicked that goal.

Hammered loaded in the Cougar bar....back when it was the real cougar bar.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
iceman
Club Player

was on level 3 behind the goals and thought defended it until i was blue in the face to mates. The swing on the ball makes it a funny one. I will still defend it for the rest of my life :)

On a side note, I hadn't booked tickets as I was tied up in local football and was unsure if I could get there, ended up lining up and being told there were no tickets left. Refused to give in, and kept talking to the lady at the gate, there were about 6 of us who were trying to get tickets, she said hang tight and she will try and get us in.

Ended up with standing room tickets but when I took a seat, no one ever came to claim it.

Got talking to a German tourist in the line who jumped in with us, (all St. Kilda supporters) said he was told he can't go home without seeing an aussie rules game live, convinced him to jump on the saints and I reckon he had the day of his life, never had he heard such a roar when Schwarze kicked that goal, I though level 3 was going to collapse at one stage, people falling over chairs, beer spilts everywhere, hats lost, amazing :wink:

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

mcadam05 wrote:
desertsaint wrote:the crowd got into it more back then...because footy was better!
Crowd "got in too it " cause the style of play was enjoyable too watch the media go on about how the last two years have taken alot out of the players with our style of play but hell its taken alot out of us the pepole who pay good money too watch it
100%!!

Hmmm,this is one of my football regrets :oops: ....I missed the TS40 goal ,as I cracked the sh!ts and left early :oops: :shock: :lol: .
When they hit the front by 6,and started chipping it around late,I said to my mate F*** this lets go. I had a 21st that night in Geelong,so wanted to beat the traffic. I was on the city side wing,then walked out,and when I got to the docklands wing outside the ground i heard this unbelievable blood curdling roar! I said "THATS US!!!!"

Went running back into the ground too see just scenes of animalism,one saints guy was just standing there punching the wall in anger/delight. I joined in the celebrations thinking we'd leveled the score. Looked at scoreboard and were up by a point! The siren went,we went spastic again,and i left for the second time,this time in a 180 degree mood...

One of our greatest h&a moments,and I missed it

Bring back the Lockett era
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

I was right behind it (because I was on my way out of the stadium from my usual seat after we lost an unloseable lead). It was out a mile, well a metre anyway. It made no difference to the result at the end of the year, unlike the kick that hit the post in the '09 GF.