Could We....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

sainter#4
Club Player

Could We....

End up having a season like the swans did in 05??

seems like were building much the same as them and of course ross would know how to go about pulling something like that off 8-)

thoughts?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Doubt it......lenny is a massive hole..

Gwilt now hurts...

Not impossible, but unlikely...

2012......we will be up there imo...some stars will align...if we have someluck

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

NO.

Too hard to win from the bottom eight.

If we recruit well and have a quiet preseason in the bloody papers ,we may have one last shot before we reboot.

We need luck which we have missed out on, but it could come together in 2012.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Yes !!
go saints

bozza1980
Club Player

Ofcourse we can!!!

Although unlikely, if we were to win our remaining games and results fell our way a top 4 spot is still achievable, and once you are there you can do anything.

PLaying the less optimistic optimist, 6th place looks highly possible, a win in the first week of the finals and you are playing for a spot in a prelim and who knows.

Lets enjoy the ride!!

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
bozza1980
Club Player

Ofcourse we can!!!

Although unlikely, if we were to win our remaining games and results fell our way a top 4 spot is still achievable, and once you are there you can do anything.

PLaying the less optimistic optimist, 6th place looks highly possible, a win in the first week of the finals and you are playing for a spot in a prelim and who knows.

Lets enjoy the ride!!

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
Furphy
Club Player

If we do to the filth in three weeks time what we did to the crows last night, I'll be really confiden :D t!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

with a full list i would say a big YES.
but lenny and gwilt are two of our top 8 players. Will catch up with us in a final. Pies seem to be having a dream run with injuries.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

with a full list i would say a big YES.
but lenny and gwilt are two of our top 8 players. Will catch up with us in a final. Pies seem to be having a dream run with injuries.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Interesting question. I am liking how some of the lesser lights are building. Polo is actually getting better each week. Fast hands. Really helps clear the ball. Gamble starting to get there. Wasn't great last night and I still think he needs a couple more weeks to really slot into the game plan.

I liked what Geary did even if only for a short time. I've always liked his attack on the ball. I hope he gets a couple of games to find his tempo.

Stevens and Armitage can form the core of a midfield. They just keep getting better. If we can groom Lynch, Siposs, Ledger - then we have a reasonable top 8 players once our current big names go.

I am feeling much better about the next couple of years.
Last edited by fingers on Sat 23 Jul 2011 1:33pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marcus1232
Club Player

fingers wrote:. Gamble starting to get there. Wasn't great last night and I still think he needs a couple more weeks to really slot into the game plan.
I thought gamble was very good last night. Although he didnt trouble the scorers his 2nd and 3rd efforts were teriffic and he took some solid grabs.

Also records are meant to be broken a team will one day win it from outside the top 4 maybe it will be us this year :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Richter
SS Life Member

joffaboy wrote:NO.

Too hard to win from the bottom eight.
In fact, impossible to win it from the bottom 8 (9 now).... :wink:

I know what you mean - the bottom 4 of the 8!

Usually I would agree with you, but IMO our season this year is a season of two halves - I really believe that the first half lull was a psychological reaction to missing out last year. Losing Lenny made it even more difficult to recover our mojo. However, RL has performed a minor miracle in convincing the players that they are 'building a new team' - listen to the rhetoric of Rooey - that is what they talk about - even though, really, the majority were of course playing in the old team also. Last night, however, I could see how differently the team is actually playing - we can still slow the game, control the ball and stifle opposition attacks, but the new attacking plan of moving the ball on quickly, particularly through hands from the defence, was there for all to see.

Add in that a number of players e.g. Gram, seem to have grow hugely in confidence - his kicking is massively improved the last 3 weeks - and we are building up to a great crack at finals....

Ultimately I agree that we will fall short, not because we're in the bottom of the 8, but because i think the new attacking style still isn't ingrained enough to stand up against the best (Collingwood) and even if it does prove more successful earlier than hoped, in a tight final we'll miss Lenny too much.

However, if Rooey really hits his straps in the next 2 months, as he is quite capable of doing, then you never know. The last 2 weeks have demonstrated that we are no longer one dimensional going forward and can score efficiently due to much improved ball movement going inside 50 aligned with more accurate kicking for goal.

One thing's for sure, we're all looking forward to September a lot more than we were two months ago!

Bring it on!

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

any team can string four wins together. to win the flag you don't need to be top four - you need to be the best team over the last four weeks. one day that team will be a late starter and miss top four but go on with it.
but this year we would need the pies to fall on a hole.
any one else we can beat.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
gringo
Saintsational Legend

We can beat anyone with that style of play. Anomalous year with s*** teams in the bottom of the 8 and weird draw. The rewrite could be this year with a bit of luck. No one from the pies down to freo would be glad to meet us.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

any team can string four wins together....
weird double post?

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

I have a vision of a highly unlikely Prelim win & then a last minute change on GF day....Lenny in as the sub.

Into the game at 3/4 time & just tears the opposition apart for 30 minutes. Glory at last!

sainter#4
Club Player

Animal Enclosure wrote:I have a vision of a highly unlikely Prelim win & then a last minute change on GF day....Lenny in as the sub.

Into the game at 3/4 time & just tears the opposition apart for 30 minutes. Glory at last!
i have day dreamed about the exact same thing!!

georgie girl
Club Player

Marcus1232 wrote:
fingers wrote:. Gamble starting to get there. Wasn't great last night and I still think he needs a couple more weeks to really slot into the game plan.
I thought gamble was very good last night. Although he didnt trouble the scorers his 2nd and 3rd efforts were teriffic and he took some solid grabs.

Also records are meant to be broken a team will one day win it from outside the top 4 maybe it will be us this year :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
+1 Also think he is getting physically stronger each week. Certainly harder and tougher at the ball than earlier on. :lol:

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

All we have to do is not lose for the rest of the season.

It would be the greatest season recovery ever if it was too happen.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:All we have to do is not lose for the rest of the season.
well it wasn't all that long ago that we won 19 straight ...

snowdelisaint
Club Player

Absolutely we can. I wouldn't want to finish 7th or 8th and have to play interstate first up. But the top 4 should be all vic teams, then finishing 6th (or higher) and winning 4 finals in vic is well within the realms of possibility.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote: 2012......we will be up there imo...some stars will align...if we have someluck
I agree whatever happens tfhis year is a bonus.

2012 we will be back. - get some luck.........and we are serious challengers AGAIN.

“Yeah….nah””
dragit
Saintsational Legend

I don't buy into 2012 is the year, we just can't afford to hope that 2012 everything goes perfectly, there will most likely be more injuries to top line players then too.
Last year we didn't look great for most of the year, the Pies were favourites all year, then we were able to draw with them on GF day, so funny things can happen.
Another win or 2 like last night and we will have the 2nd lowest points scored against tally - it was recently pointed out on here that nearly every single year the 2 sides with the lowest against score play off in the grand final… so hopefully that continues and so do we…
We have more finals experience now than anyone, maybe equal only to the Cats, I'm pretty confident that most of the top 8 sides would prefer any other side to make the 8 than us…
It would of course take everything going right for us to go deep into the finals including Riewoldt/Kosi hitting some rare touch, but we are playing better every week, lets just enjoy the ride and don't hang all our hopes on next year when an aging list will be another year older…

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

This year will be a little different though, no high ladder finish, no pressure, no expectation.

This might just sit well with the boys.

hungry for a premiership
Club Player

I think the underdog status will suit us well. If we maintain our current improvement in form I have no doubt we will beat every team come finals time. Except Collingfilth. I have my doubts about beating them.

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."