Peake, Polo, Dawson, Gamble

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Peake, Polo, Dawson, Gamble

All "rejects" from other clubs, all reasonable pickups for the dps traded or used.

Peake - until the game against Adelaide, was playing the best football of his career, certainly since Freo 2006. His kicking has improved as has his accuracy and has added some sorely needed pace to the team.

Polo - hard at it, in and under. As has been mentioned his handballing under pressure is very good which is good because his kicking is ordinary and needs to improve. Working well with Armo, and Jack in and under. Will be interesting if he holds his form for the rest of the season if we have a role for him with Lenny back in the team.

Gamble - after some early season poor performances, he last three have been getting better and better, seems to be pushing hard up to the wing, taking the pressure of Roo and Schneider. Didn't goal on Friday however he was very good in the role he was given, and put in. Jury still out but signs for optimism.

Dawson - Playing good steady football in the backline, possibly the best he has played for the Saints. Benefits greatly from Sammy x 2 in the backline for a chop out, and also with Mac and Kosi dropping into the hole in front of him and his direct opponent. Will need to maintain or even improve with the loss of Jimmy for 12 months.

All in all, I have been pleasantly surprised in these four in recent weeks . Sure we haven't played anyone except WCE, however you can only judge on what they dish up on the day. I am especially pleased that both Polo and Gamble are showing something and are contributing to the teams improvement.

It shows that rejects, even maligned rejects can add worth to a team, if they play to their potential, their role and team rules.

Now the Saints are littered with rejects. Schneider, Dempster even Gram are others who are both playing their roles.

So is Lyon correct in his strategy? Well I dont really know, Peake was horrible in the big games last season, Polo has never played finals, Gamble was never a part of the Geelong 22 that won their flags.

We are a mid table team ATM and we beat who we are supposed to, and get beaten by superior teams like Geelong and Collingwood.

The jury is out IMO. These players are doing what they are capable of, which is good, but will it be sufficent to take us to another crack at a GF?

The rest of this season and next will be of real interest for all of us.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
fingers
Saintsational Legend

Interesting topic. I think both Gamble and Polo have plenty of upside. So too for Dawson in fact. I'd like to see him watch the ball more than the man though.

I think they have added something to our mid tier players.

Time will tell :)

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Heart still misses a beat every time Dawson is isolated ono on one, just wonder if we got another big defender if he may be better suited further up the ground?

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Grand Finals aside, it gets forgotten that Peake played well in the other finals last year. Great last qtrs this year.

Still don't see much in Gamble. Good against bad opposition, but absent against hard at the body defences. Seems to have improved his delivery at least.

Polo is a Lenny understudy, and will be out as soon as Lenny is available, you would think, was good against Crows.

Dawson, good in the finals, just starting to show a bit now. Can't stand it when he is out positioned and running back towards his man, as happens all too frequently.

Nee!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Players with obvious deficiencies.......but have some benefits.

Hopefully when the side is not going well and up against quality their deficiencies are not shown up.

Gamble
Lacks strength at the contest, nice hands for his size, moves ok, poor kick

Polo
Hard, good engine, strong over ball....poor kick, slowish

Zac
Tall and fast.....not strong, gets lost one out and takes his eye off the ball

Peake
Leg speed and spreads well and carries the ball.......kicking skills are poor.

These are lyon 'role players' who rely heavily on our a-graders playing well....others are, jones, dempster, kosi, ray

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

"Good ordinary players as Jack Dyer would say"!

At their best, they are all good value pick-ups and play their roles well.

However, we are a bit short on players of the next level up.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

"Good ordinary players" as Jack Dyer would say!

At their best, they are all good value pick-ups and play their roles well.

However, we are a bit short on players of the next level up :!:

maverick
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Players with obvious deficiencies.......but have some benefits.

Hopefully when the side is not going well and up against quality their deficiencies are not shown up.

Gamble
Lacks strength at the contest, nice hands for his size, moves ok, poor kick

Polo

Zac
Tall and fast.....not strong, gets lost one out and takes his eye off the ball

Peake
Leg speed and spreads well and carries the ball.......kicking skills are poor.

These are lyon 'role players' who rely heavily on our a-graders playing well....others are, jones, dempster, kosi, ray
Most players have defiencies, even our very best.

Zac is better than most of us give credit for, he was equal player of the finals as voted by the club last year. Big Wrap.

Peake has no left foot, and runs round in circles sometimes, but has great speed, a good motor and tackles well.

Polo is clumsy, makes poor decisions, but is pretty good overhead, is strong in and under and has a resonable defensive side. He is also still new to the Saints so has upside.

Gamble is a natural forward (which we lack), marks OK for his size, but is not hard at the contest and lacks leg speed. Definite role player.

I would say just about all our recycled players suffer from decision making issues and this is the major reason they were discarded.

Often gets mixed up with poor kicking.

Ray, Peake, Polo & Zac all have issues with this to varying degrees.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Polo and Gram will be battling to hold their places once the injured players return. I think young Cripps for a start may be better value than those two, never mind Lenny.
Peake for mine is now in our best 22.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Polo and Gram will be battling to hold their places once the injured players return. I think young Cripps for a start may be better value than those two, never mind Lenny.
Yep Grams last 4 weeks has been ordinary. Only getting it 25 times a game.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
borderbarry wrote:Polo and Gram will be battling to hold their places once the injured players return. I think young Cripps for a start may be better value than those two, never mind Lenny.
Yep Grams last 4 weeks has been ordinary. Only getting it 25 times a game.
But apparently he tackles one handed, can't kick, can't defend and is too soft.

Better getting in an 18 year old like Curren who has clearly much more upside.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Peake has always been in our best 22.

I love this club
PJ
SS Life Member

Polo
Not sure he is that slow, sprint speed he's probably average but in and under reflex response is fast.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Reckon Dawson will be FB for the next five years. Tall an fast.

When he is one out seems because he's been covering space due to game plan that actually out of position...

Rosco
Club Player

i'd love if dawson could find somewhere to put another 10 kgs (i'm looking at you, dawson's biceps)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cant believe these guys are still in the side. Over most of this year I have read on here how poor these players are and we cant go forward with them. Now own up on these players. I knocked gamble after round one and was relieved he was dropped early in the year. At the moment I am being proved wrong. Luckily I havent knocked the others but I am sure there would be some on here who have had a go at all 4.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

I'd almost go as far a to say that Peake and Jack Steven are the reason for our turnaround.

These two are doing more than just playing roles. They're winning ball, creating run, and taking plenty of heat off Joey and Dal.

These guys have forced the opposition to balance their defence a bit, and not just focus on Dal and Joey.

As soon as they've done that, Dal and Joey hurt them.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Now own up on these players. I knocked gamble after round one and was relieved he was dropped early in the year. At the moment I am being proved wrong.
Yeah, I knocked Gamble but not the others. He's starting to look alright now. Highly skilled and clever.

I think it was partly because I was hoping for another true key forward to help Riewoldt out structurally rather than the medium type that Gamble is.

Also, I had him marked down as a recycled reject. Fact is, the kid is only 23 and was locked in behind some pretty good players at Geelong.

Nice to hear from the horse's mouth that you are not always correct, Plugga :wink:

I had always suspected as much and now you have given confirmation in writing.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Now own up on these players. I knocked gamble after round one and was relieved he was dropped early in the year. At the moment I am being proved wrong.
Yeah, I knocked Gamble but not the others. He's starting to look alright now. Highly skilled and clever.

I think it was partly because I was hoping for another true key forward to help Riewoldt out structurally rather than the medium type that Gamble is.

Also, I had him marked down as a recycled reject. Fact is, the kid is only 23 and was locked in behind some pretty good players at Geelong.

Nice to hear from the horse's mouth that you are not always correct, Plugga :wink:

I had always suspected as much and now you have given confirmation in writing.
Not always correct. What are you on about? I am never correct.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Gamble played a key position many of his early games, now he is being played as a third, that is why it's working better.

St Loxton
Club Player

Gamble may be no Hamill, doesnt have that intimidating prescence like he did. But he showed some signs this week that he is developing a defensive side to his game, some hard chasing and attempted tackles.
I repeat Gamble is no Hamill
I believe the third tall forward is a must for our structure, and also why we need Kosi there at FF. If Gamble can keep presenting up the wings and be that strong marking link player that also finds a hole in the F50. We can really stretch opposition defences.
Not too sure yet but maybe Gamble can develop a really good tank.
I just like the way he is developing in our team and what he can offer. Go Vegas!!

Hunter Clark 2024 StKilda Saints Premiership captain.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

i have criticised many a player but surprisingly no one on this list

although I do think we're overrating Gamble

Dempster on the other hand... I owe thatguy a huge apology

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Must apologize for my earlier post. I meant Gamble, not Gram.

Zac Attack
Club Player

Polo is a D grade player. He is looking good because we are playing well. Much like McQ (different players/positions) however they both look good in a good team. The Brent Macaffer/Nick Maxwell syndrome.

Dawson plays very well in finals however during the home and away season can look almost lost.

Gamble should be judged on how he performances with Riewoldt and Kosi in the team as that was what he was brought into the team to be, another tallish option.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:I'd almost go as far a to say that Peake and Jack Steven are the reason for our turnaround.

These two are doing more than just playing roles. They're winning ball, creating run, and taking plenty of heat off Joey and Dal.

These guys have forced the opposition to balance their defence a bit, and not just focus on Dal and Joey.

As soon as they've done that, Dal and Joey hurt them.
+1

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.