Your first time....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Your first time....

Interested to know how/why/when people first became or realised they had become Saints Supporters.

hungry for a premiership
Club Player

Had no choice. It was ingrained into me as a boy because my dad is a saints supporter and took me to games. He often apologizes to me for this, and tells me that when he was a kid he almost decided to barrack for carlton. If he had done this, I would've experienced a flag by now. BUT I WOULDN"T HAVE IT ANY OTHER WAY.

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Ever wonder what a Hawthorn supporter in his/her fifties feels like compared to us. I remember 71 both sides going for their second flag, how many now, how time flies?

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

It's a family tradition - 4 generations.

No say in what team - "indoctrinated" early.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

I must have been 5 or 6 and I was watching one of my first games and I saw Robert Harvey absolutely tear apart Carlton (whom I was being groomed to support). From that day I was a St Kilda supporter.

If it wasn't for Robert Harvey I would might not even follow footy.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
PaytonPlace
Club Player

Oh it's a combination of a lot of things really

- I come from Gretna, a town in the USA that is absolute New Orleans Saints country, true believers a plenty, and my dad used to take me to the Superdome as a kid (thus I have a soft spot for any "Saints" teams)

- Got more rusted on moving to Tasmania in 2001. First footy story I can really remember after I moved here was Malcolm Blight getting sacked, and a cab driver spent a whole 1/2 hour telling me about Doc Baldock.

- First game I went to was the famous/infamous draw vs The Swans in 2002. The people at the game were just fantastic to me, and so patient with my stupid lack of understanding of what was going on. Plus I met Bob Skilton and he was pissed up, so I had a wonderful night out!

- Then I met Milney and Lenny and they were fantastic to me and as I've recounted, Milney and I talked NBA for ages, so yeah...after all those things, decided to learn the game, never quit, never give up, and stick with the team forever!

Becca

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

My Dad used to take me to Hawthorn games occasionally including to Glenferrie Oval when I was really young but I never really could get into them (I don't know why).

My brother in law barracked for St Kilda and, as we lived close by in Highett at the time, I used to go with him to all the home games at Moorabbin (and some away games). This would have been in the late 70's and early 80's with most years us not being that good. But we stayed to the end of each game knowing every week we wouldn't win but that wasn't the point. We may fluke one and that's what it was all about.

I can't remember which was my first game though.

I then met Mrs Jacks Back at the St Kilda disco in the mid 80's. :)

I must say I miss all the suburban grounds. Maybe I'm just getting older and more nostalgic. :(

I think I have been to all the suburban grounds that were around since the late 60's when I was about 5. Those were the days.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

My earliest memory of the Saints is having a poster of Ian Stewart above my bed. It must have been about 1968 when I was 6.
I have mo idea why I had started following the Saints - my dad is Richmond, my brother was Fitzroy.

I remember the 71 GF ( I grew up in Kyabram, in northern Victoria) and the lean years of mid 70's.

And here I am nearly 50 and waiting to savour that second flag...

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

used to follow port in the sanfl as most did in the nt.
watched hawks win the 78 final and began 79 as a hawk supporter against the saints.
for some cursed reason i immediately took a fancy to st kilda and switched teams in the first quarter. we won - then i endured a thumping loss against essendon, a close loss to footscray followed by a 130 something loss to collingwood. but i stayed a saint - and got to enjoy two more wins and this annual prize we seemed to hold a monopoly on called a wooden sppon!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Think i was 18. In Angelsea with a girl at a party. I wanted it but not sure she did. Anyway it felt good.

Sorry got mistaken what this thread was about. I apologize.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Think i was 18. In Angelsea with a girl at a party. I wanted it but not sure she did. Anyway it felt good.
Sounds more like you were at a Port Melbourne townhouse  :shock:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Think i was 18. In Angelsea with a girl at a party. I wanted it but not sure she did. Anyway it felt good.
She did call me Grammy a few times. I thought she just wanted more dope.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

My earliest memory was having a leaning towards Carlton because of Ron Barassi, because like every young boy then I had my pair of his eponymous footy boots. I can't remember exactly what turned me, but I went to my first saints game at Moorabbin in 1970. We beat Fitzroy and that was it. Hooked for life. Living a 10 minute walk from the ground helped as well. I remember as a very young boy hearing the roars that would go up from the ground while I played in the backyard. Like any addict, once I started, I couldn't give it up.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
PaytonPlace
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
She did call me Grammy a few times. I thought she just wanted more dope.
If my Mom asks, I'm still waiting for my "party at Anglesea"

Becca

i_luv_nick_riewoldt
SS Life Member

My mum was a major influence telling me about the days of baldock, frawley, barker and lockett. I was only 8 when i watched the '97 grandfinal so much excitement during the lead up to it.Can still remember sitting in front of the tv and watching it and crying as the siren blew. I was shattered.

Nathan Burke was by far my favourite. I think i liked him cos he always stood out with the helmet and i loved his courageous effort. Also getting Kosi and Roo in the draft was a huge impact. I can still remember watching Roo's blonde locks flowing as he kicked from CHB against Adelaide in his debut. Ever since that day i was obsessed with Nick everything from posters, jumpers, badges and newspaper clippings. Since, then i wasn't just a follower i was a member and a fanatic. Fortius Quo Fidelius!

Go saints in '09!
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

My earliest memory of being a Saints fan was probably similar to many people's.
Being in the school yard with mates going "hahaha how did the Saints go on the weekend".
Terrible memories.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Was 12 when Keddie fixed us up in 71 I think I cried a bit and its all downhill since. My kids tell me that post 97 is the only time they have seen me really drunk!

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

I am not sure how old I was, but I think I had to have nbeen under 10. My father was trying to talk me into the filth but the rest of the family was trying to convince me to barrack for the Saints. The strange thing is I have this vivid memory of a conversation with the old man and my oldest brother in the hallway, both trying to talk me into their team. I can't remember much else from that time. It was an easy decision, and not long after the old man pissed of

I love this club
karnaby
Club Player

Stillwaiting wrote:I am not sure how old I was, but I think I had to have nbeen under 10. My father was trying to talk me into the filth but the rest of the family was trying to convince me to barrack for the Saints. The strange thing is I have this vivid memory of a conversation with the old man and my oldest brother in the hallway, both trying to talk me into their team. I can't remember much else from that time. It was an easy decision, and not long after the old man pissed of
I know that I might be treading on dangerous ground here - but you did say your dad was a collingwood supporter..

I'm sure you made a good decision.

It's a shame ignorance isn't painful
defacto
Club Player

i'm from perth and fairly young (mid to late twenties) so i was raised on the wafl following subi. didnt really care much for the afl. hated the eagles with a passion. had bit of a soft spot for the dockers that was killed by the whispers in the sky game. if anything i was a north melbourne supporter after i saw their finals loss to geelong in 94. lost interest following the 96 gf.

anyways got drawn to the saints when my favorite player, jason heatley, moved from subi to the saints. watched them with passing interest in the 97 season that ramped up to the 97 gf. week before the grand final my old man bought me a saints hat at the show (he has very very little interest in the afl, if anything he follows geelong).

by the end of the 97 grand final i was hooked.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Sorry got mistaken what this thread was about. I apologize.
Was hoping for a few more of these.

Satisfies the voyeur in my psyche. :wink:

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
StNoodles
Club Player

9 or 10 at the time, living in Adelaide, Crows had just entered the competition.

The Saints belted them, so I started following the red, black and white.

Lennon
Club Player

Round 1, 2005. Would've been 17 I think. Was waiting for something to come on late after the game. Wasn't even that aware of there being distinct football codes, but had been made to watch a few league games, State of Origin etc. I remember thinking at first, 'Hmm. This don't look quite right. Can that happen? I'm sure that's not the Queensland jumper. Off-side!'

Didn't understood much of what went on... was intrigued by it tho. Really, if you're not used to it, an Aussie Rules game looks like chaos. Who are all these people? Why is that dude there? They just stopped, why are they stopping again?!

And ended up being so outraged by events of that game (even more so given I didn't know anything about football) that I decided I would support the Saints.

Joffa 5
Club Player

Goose is king wrote:My earliest memory of being a Saints fan was probably similar to many people's.
Being in the school yard with mates going "hahaha how did the Saints go on the weekend".
Terrible memories.
Without a doubt!

3rd generation Saint here so there was no choice really. Dad used to take me to all the Moorabbin games late 70's and through the 80's. The best memories though were celebrating the odd win like it was a premiership!

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

1964, Cheltenham East State School, with Doc and Verdun Howell living in the street that was opposite the School on my way home.

No choice really.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.