Rhys Stanley v Ayce Cordy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Rhys Stanley v Ayce Cordy

Interesting to note Ayce Cordy will make his debut this weekend.

Ayce was picked up number 14 in the draft and is a few months oder than Rhys.

Just a bit of a reality check to those forumites disappointed Rhys isnt already a star and to those who think he is no good and want to de-list him already.

A bit of patience and perspective please peeps. Plenty of time for Rhys to come good yet.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

And the Saints were prepared to use their first draft pick on “Aceâ€

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Who cares.

Stanley is going to the GWS.

$800,000 a year 5 year contract.

SOS - The master list manager!

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:Who cares.

Stanley is going to the GWS.

$800,000 a year 5 year contract.

SOS - The master list manager!

lol now that would be funny

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

the worst thing that ever happened to Rhys was winning the grandfinal sprint because it gave him a profile

he played a role up forward when Roo went down (I think)... and was serviceable. Presented well, good hands, not overly effective but not terrible either.
Ppl's expectations of him really shot through the roof though

now every time people see/hear of him, they expect him to play like a young Riewoldt which he is not

+ he's been injured.

Until he gets games under his belt... he'll never be a champion

Sobraz
SS Life Member

skeptic wrote:the worst thing that ever happened to Rhys was winning the grandfinal sprint because it gave him a profile

he played a role up forward when Roo went down (I think)... and was serviceable. Presented well, good hands, not overly effective but not terrible either.

now every time people see/hear of him, they expect him to play like a young Riewoldt which he is not

+ he's been injured.

The problem is he could hardly get a kick in the VFL all year, and has shown no improvement (or application for that matter) at all this season...

StNoodles
Club Player

Nice post Con.

He'll get his opportunities again soon

mick13
Club Player

Jeez, I don't know much about Cordy but I think our ruck stocks would have looked okay for the next 10 years with 2 first round picks...

Hope Stanley can make it.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:
skeptic wrote:the worst thing that ever happened to Rhys was winning the grandfinal sprint because it gave him a profile

+ he's been injured.

The problem is he could hardly get a kick in the VFL all year, and has shown no improvement (or application for that matter) at all this season...
I'm not advocating for his current inclusion as he's injured (or has been til recently) but expectations of him are too high for a rookie player

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Did he really?

:wink:

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

SainterK wrote:
Did he really?

:wink:
I dont remember anything from that day so couldnt tell you ;)

Sam23
SS Life Member

Stanley has never done anything on the football field to tell me he is going to be an AFL player.

At VFL or AFL level.

Hopefully proves me wrong, but he has shown very little other then being athletic.

Goddard.
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Sam23 wrote:Stanley has never done anything on the football field to tell me he is going to be an AFL player.

At VFL or AFL level.

Hopefully proves me wrong, but he has shown very little other then being athletic.
Get on YouTube & have a look at his U/18 Championship game footage.

The kid can play, patience people

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

+ he's been injured.

Agree. Luke Miles won the 2010 GF sprint and look what happened to him. He could have been anything if he was any good.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

he's clearly a dud because he hasn't won any awards of medals and he's nearly 20 and he's had injuries and isn't dominating at senior level.

WHY ISN"T A HE A SUPERSTAR? I say we shoot him for failing to be a dominant ruckman by age 20...

how old was cox before he started playing well? Our current 'gun' ruckman, who I admire greatly, the magnificent Big Ben McEvoy was getting this same s*** 12 months ago.

Why isn't he mcintosh, why is getting beaten, what can we trade him for...etc etc. (noting mcintosh came into his own aged 23/24)

Given MOST ruckmen seem to have a window of 23/24 to 28/29 Stanley is in the right corridor.

now those bagging him, have a reality check, even nick naitanui, is 21, and he's a no.2 draft pick from 2008 draft and a year old than stanley.

The kid could win or fail, but ffs give him time.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Rhys has put on muscle this year(at the clubs direction) and the extra weight (he is now 95kg) has put strain on his hamstrings which have failed him all year. They are targeting 100kg but in reality that is 2 years away if they are going to give his body (especially his hamstrings) time to adjust to the additonal load. Club sees him as a ruckman / forward but in reality I think he is a forward who can ruck. Hopefully he will hit 97kg next year and the hammies will settle and he can play full forward in VFL and AFL with stints in the ruck. Dont expect too much in 2012 as he builds to 2013 and should reach his potential in 2014 onwards. Anything sooner is a bonus.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:Rhys has put on muscle this year(at the clubs direction) and the extra weight (he is now 95kg) has put strain on his hamstrings which have failed him all year. They are targeting 100kg but in reality that is 2 years away if they are going to give his body (especially his hamstrings) time to adjust to the additonal load. Club sees him as a ruckman / forward but in reality I think he is a forward who can ruck. Hopefully he will hit 97kg next year and the hammies will settle and he can play full forward in VFL and AFL with stints in the ruck. Dont expect too much in 2012 as he builds to 2013 and should reach his potential in 2014 onwards. Anything sooner is a bonus.
a common sense approach. I suspect he'll be in the seniors before then, as a back up to big ben, especially as blake ages and MG runs out his tenure in the ressies.

22/23 should be a good time for blooding a young ruckman.

That said the expectations that every midfielder should be judd and every ruckman a hit at 18 is just stupid by some "fans".

no good at 20, trade him or dump him for draft pics, pick 42, 2 years no good dump him, pick 68 no good dump him, etc etc.

SHUT UP KRIME!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Sam23 wrote:Stanley has never done anything on the football field to tell me he is going to be an AFL player.

At VFL or AFL level.

I assume from your comment that you did not actually watch him play much in 2010????

IMO he showed very clearly throughout 2010 that he had talent, and the potential to become an AFL player.

Like many young players when placed in the seniors he showed that he needed to lift his workrate and concentration throughout a game. But that is what experience will teach him

2011 has been a year from hell for him....but I would not let that fool you.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:

At VFL or AFL level.

I assume from your comment that you did not actually watch him play much in 2010????

IMO he showed very clearly throughout 2010 that he had talent, and the potential to become an AFL player.

Like many young players when placed in the seniors he showed that he needed to lift his workrate and concentration throughout a game. But that is what experience will teach him

again don't often agree with SR, but a little common sense applied from time to time is applaudable.

stop shooting the kids.

SHUT UP KRIME!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:

At VFL or AFL level.

very good post SRS