Message to Rohan Connolly

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

taz
Club Player

Message to Rohan Connolly

You don't speak for me !

Read as follows from today's bit of trash.

When members of the football media ( hacks) entered the rooms ( tried gate crashing) a few minutes after the players ( as though it was their right), they stumbled ( inferring again as though the hacks had a right to be there) upon several Saints announcing their retirements to an army of family and friends, (no you and much of the media of the past 12 months have not been a friend to the players) with heartfelt words from coach Ross Lyon and Lenny Hayes. It was great human interest stuff. ( no it was a private matter) But the media, and by extension ( What extension?) the St Kilda fan base, would be allowed none of it.

Those ( trespassers) who dared venture beyond the barriers ( otherwise known as doors and windows to most) the club now erects in its rooms were told in no uncertain terms to get back and to "show some respect". Channel 10 obtained some vision but was told not to record the speeches.

And so several hundred thousand St Kilda fans across the country missed out on sharing that touching and spontaneous scene ( reading the rubbish hacks have pedalled this year) .......

I dont think I need to continue to express my disgust at the media and the way these young men have been treated by them this year. In my view I would give them no oxygen to feed their obvious contempt of the Saints.

GO SAINTS!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Yep hate the media wanting to record the players getting a send off. Our supporters dont deserve to hear that rubbish.

taz
Club Player

The tenor of the article is the RC had a right to be in the rooms at that time. The players and officials have a right to privacy and to some control over the manner in which the media invade their lives. I have no doubt that it is a difficult time for the players and officials and that they would require "some" degree of space and privacy and it is their prerogative as to how and when to allow the media and us into that private space.

p66 sarcasm is the lowest form of wit

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

taz wrote:The tenor of the article is the RC had a right to be in the rooms at that time. The players and officials have a right to privacy and to some control over the manner in which the media invade their lives. I have no doubt that it is a difficult time for the players and officials and that they would require "some" degree of space and privacy and it is their prerogative as to how and when to allow the media and us into that private space.
It is the last game of the year and players were going to be retired. The media should have been given access so us supporters who give the club our money and support can hear the players and the coach talking. It wasnt tactic time or anything important like that.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Should it be any surprise that after a gutting loss and the likely end of a pretty grand historical run, playing the PR card might be the furthest thing from people's minds?

Common sense, please.

Sometimes people simply expect too much.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
taz
Club Player

"money or support " doesn't give one the "right" to unlimited access. You may recall an incident after a previous loss where Roo was approached by a "fan" who thought she had the "right" to take photos of him the day after the loss.

The players and officials are entitled to manage their privacy. If they want to talk to media so be it. If they want to vent on Facebook its their choice. If they want some privacy... then let them have it.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

taz wrote:"money or support " doesn't give one the "right" to unlimited access. You may recall an incident after a previous loss where Roo was approached by a "fan" who thought she had the "right" to take photos of him the day after the loss.

The players and officials are entitled to manage their privacy. If they want to talk to media so be it. If they want to vent on Facebook its their choice. If they want some privacy... then let them have it.
from memory said fan was NOT a saints fan....

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Dear Rohan

Your work is usually admirable but this was an exceptionally poor effort. A whole article lambasting the Saints for its poor media skills that fails to acknowledge the appalling media standards during the "St Kilda Schoolgirl" and "ex-St Kilda player Andrew Lovett" scandals?

You draw a very long bow, too, in blaming the disappointing membership numbers on these supposed poor media skills. More likely it's got something to do with the slime smeared gleefully and unapologetically across the club during those aforementioned scandals.

Have a think about it.

Best
Waltzing St Kilda

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

I reckon this type of thing is another Ross Lyon conundrum!

Like his game plan, I believe it got us where it did, but at the same point possibly cost us on GF day (the inability to kick a winning score).

This 'bubble' which I think creates such an intense and invaluble bond within the playing group, is most likely one of the key factors in the way we play footy so well - but at the same point it may well be the reason supporters aren't buying in. They aren't being included.

Seaford_Saint
Club Player

For what it's worth I think there are some things that we as supporters should respect and if the coach and players wanted to keep that private who are we to stamp our feet and whinge about it?

And yes I am a paid up member as is the Mr :)

Mrs Seaford_Saint

Failure cannot succeed in the face of persistence......
matrix
Saintsational Legend

well said
i agree Mrs Seaford Saint
let that remain private between the playing group
we dont need to hear everything

asiu
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:Should it be any surprise that after a gutting loss and the likely end of a pretty grand historical run, playing the PR card might be the furthest thing from people's minds?

Common sense, please.

Sometimes people simply expect too much.
At least we've improved in one department then.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I would have like it to be open doors so us pissed people from upstairs could have waltzed, or staggered down into the rooms and give it to the bunch of pussies.

Man have I dished out some cash supporting this team. I should at least be entitled to throw my insides up in the change rooms.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:I would have like it to be open doors so us pissed people from upstairs could have waltzed, or staggered down into the rooms and give it to the bunch of pussies.

Man have I dished out some cash supporting this team. I should at least be entitled to throw my insides up in the change rooms.
'Pussies'?

You hero...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

If the club was happy for the media to be in the room gfine, but if it doesn't, and it has every right to tell the media to keep out, then the media should respect the decision and not get on the radio, or write about how upset they are because someone wont play ball with what the media thinks is it's God given right to do whatever it wants.
As I said before, I am still waiting for the public apology that will never come, regarding all the Kim Duthie affair when she admitted it was all a lie and took the media for a ride.
Funny how when you something that the media perceives as wrong they shout and whinge about it, however, when the media does something wrong, the silence is even louder.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Seaford_Saint wrote:For what it's worth I think there are some things that we as supporters should respect and if the coach and players wanted to keep that private who are we to stamp our feet and whinge about it?

And yes I am a paid up member as is the Mr :)

Mrs Seaford_Saint
I personally agree. And as I said, I think this is one reason for our team's success and their ability to knuckle down and seemingly block out distractions.

But.....

I don't think this is how the modern footy fan sees it. Without knowing the full details, I think it's fair to say that the club has been pretty average in capitalising on our recent on-field success.

Under Lyon, there's no doubt the club has pushed fans away.

robsaint
Club Player

Rohan gets it wrong again. Even Caro and Walls on 3AW said the media do not have the right to listen in on such an intimate meeting. Also the fact that St.kilda, does not allow their players to talk to the media is BS. How many times after the game are players interviewed on the radio(3AW,SEN,3LO) and channel 10 before the game on SEN Saturday mornings. Just because they will not talk to you Rohan not surprising given the type of tripe you write for the age.

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

So the media barged in where they were clearly not allowed to go and they are now trying to have a sook about it behind the guise of "well we feel bad for the fans"

Go and fornicate with yourself you piece of fecal matter

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:I would have like it to be open doors so us pissed people from upstairs could have waltzed, or staggered down into the rooms and give it to the bunch of pussies.

'Pussies'?

You hero...
I wasn't trying to pick a fight TL. I was merely pointing out the atmosphere in my immediate vicinity on Saturday night. Hilarious to say the least.

I like your energy though. Keep up the good fight.

Seaford_Saint
Club Player

Johnny Member wrote:
I personally agree. And as I said, I think this is one reason for our team's success and their ability to knuckle down and seemingly block out distractions.

But.....

I don't think this is how the modern footy fan sees it. Without knowing the full details, I think it's fair to say that the club has been pretty average in capitalising on our recent on-field success.

Under Lyon, there's no doubt the club has pushed fans away.
I do see your point and it's the age old " You can't please everyone" scenario - I think we all have voyeuristic tendencies and want to know and hear everything that happens, but we still must respect the decisions we don't like.

I would love to go into the rooms after a game and watch I wouldn't even care about talking to anyone but it's not going to happen - we go to games ( babysitter permitting) and pay our membership to support the club we love. I do agree that the club could have done more to involve members and perhaps people thinking about a membership more as the last 5 even 9 years was the time to get new blood on board.

Failure cannot succeed in the face of persistence......
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Doesn't speak for me.

If he cannot comprehend why the relationship between the St Kilda players and the media may not be what it once was, well he hasn't got a grasp on reality.

The way the media handled certain 'non stories' this year was appalling, and I have no anger towards any players that as a result, feel uncomfortable dealing with the media.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

After the past 2 years why the hell would our club trust the media?

They've treated us like sh!t.

They can't be trusted to present a balanced view on anything...

And they wonder why we lock them out.

Then they exact revenge on us because we give them nothing by printing unsubstanciated rubbish on a regular basis.

They bully us because we don't play it their way.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

f*** you guys sook a lot at anything critical of the club. both connolly and ralph in separate newspapers mention this issue. maybe they're right?

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
Thinline wrote:

'Pussies'?

You hero...
I wasn't trying to pick a fight TL. I was merely pointing out the atmosphere in my immediate vicinity on Saturday night. Hilarious to say the least.

I like your energy though. Keep up the good fight.
Understand now.

My flagging energy levels have been lifted somewhat by the delightful weediness of Essendon's capitulation. Every dog... Every cloud...

At least no one can ever decry our club's effort.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Seaford_Saint wrote: I do see your point and it's the age old " You can't please everyone" scenario - I think we all have voyeuristic tendencies and want to know and hear everything that happens, but we still must respect the decisions we don't like.
I don't think the club has any obligation to the voyeuristic tendencies of the fans, they just need to understand that if they people to genuinely get involved in the club financially, they need it to go both ways.

Personally, I don't care. I'm old enough to not care less whether or not the club knows me, loves me or even knows I exist!

But I don't think the masses feel that way. It's really important for clubs to do everything they can to include fans if they want their generous financial support.

Especially for us. If it's merely entertainment we're selling to the fans who rock up each week, then that's not a good deal for them either!