THE FACTS

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

MadSaintFan
Club Player

THE FACTS

1. Ross Lyon contracted at St Kilda until the end of 2012.
2. Ross Lyon offered new 3 year deal in April to take him through until 2014.
3. Ross rejects this as he wants 4 years.
4. Ross changes management and as a result reaches an agreement to put on hold negotiations until seasons end.
5. Ross in contacted by Fremantle CEO 1 week prior to the Elimination Final. Ross asks him to make further contact at the end of the season.
6. The season ends - Ross "retires" 3 players.
7. Ross advises key St Kilda players/personal he will remain with the club into the future.
8. 4 year deal is offered close to $1million a year - Ross's management group believe announcement will be made within 48 hours he will be remaining at St Kilda.
9. Fremantle CEO visits Ross in his Melbourne home and works out a 5 year deal to coach the Dockers.

How any member/supporter of this club can say the St Kilda board are to blame for this situation has me dumbfounded.

sainterinsydney
Club Player

I don't blame the board at all. I think in the long run this will work out to be a good thing for the Saints--Lyon was taking us nowhere, and, lets be honest, the guy hasn't won one flag yet. Also, keep in mind the PR damage this has done to Freo.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

If Freo have a similar year next year, it will look really bad.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
SirDog
Club Player

If RL wanted to stay with St Kilda he would have negotiated further...his intentions are very clear in this case.

St.Kilda fan - through and through.
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:If Freo have a similar year next year, it will look really bad.
Our first year under Ross was quite a bit worse that our last year under GT, but nobody was bothered. Everyone knows it takes a while for players to adapt to Ross's game plan.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
sainterinsydney
Club Player

It should be known as the "always a bridesmaid, never a bride" gameplan.

St Lenny
Club Player

SirDog wrote:If RL wanted to stay with St Kilda he would have negotiated further...his intentions are very clear in this case.
Exactly.

Also, Ross Lyon retired 4 players not 3.

And, he has a 4 year contract with Freo not 5.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

I felt he was having a huge dig at us when he mentionioned he couldn't negotiate a contract with us for th past 6 months but Freo sorted an acceptable one out in 72 hours.
I took that as a "It serves you right" sort of comment.

I'm sure there was some sort of agreement that it would be taken care of at the end of the year. Not Ross thinking every Monday. Sh#t another week gone by and still no contarct.

I thought that statement was a bit rich.

St Lenny wrote:
SirDog wrote:If RL wanted to stay with St Kilda he would have negotiated further...his intentions are very clear in this case.
Exactly.

Also, Ross Lyon retired 4 players not 3.

And, he has a 4 year contract with Freo not 5.
I believe Gardiner was retiring regardless if Ross announced it or not.

To the top
SS Life Member

The words which attract my attention are "unconditional contract".

If Fremantle are so niave and desperate as to offer a 4 or 5 year unconditional contract to a prospective AFL Coach, paying a salary of $1M to $1.5M a year depending on who you believe, they deserve all they get.

That St Kilda baulked at an unconditional contract was the correct course of action.

So good riddance to Lyon under these circumstances and good luck to Fremantle - they will need it.

Simply, every CEO accross Corporate Australia has a conditional contract, with delivery against KPP's signed off by the Board of Directors and then reviewed at least annually.

If the CEO does not deliver, goodbye.

It is called accountability.

But Lyon wanted an unconditional contract to continue his coaching career - and Fremantle is the bunny in the headlights.

St Kilda have dodged a bullet in my opinion.

We are running into strong headwinds in regards revenue as Corporte Australia becomes far more discerning when spending money - and particularly in regards sponsorships.

Plus media is one of the areas which is feeling the pinch from the cut backs in discretionary spending accross society so the future "rivers of gold" from the electronic media coverage of AFL football are also in jeopardy.

Look at Channel 10 and their sackings as but one example.

Into this uncertain climate, Fremantle have offered the money they have, for a term of 4 or 5 years and with the Contract unconditional!

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: THE FACTS

MadSaintFan wrote:1. Ross Lyon contracted at St Kilda until the end of 2012.
4. Ross changes management and as a result reaches an agreement to put on hold negotiations until seasons end.
5. Ross in contacted by Fremantle CEO 1 week prior to the Elimination Final. Ross asks him to make further contact at the end of the season.
7. Ross advises key St Kilda players/personal he will remain with the club into the future.
8. 4 year deal is offered close to $1million a year - Ross's management group believe announcement will be made within 48 hours he will be remaining at St Kilda.
9. Fremantle CEO visits Ross in his Melbourne home and works out a 5 year deal to coach the Dockers.

How any member/supporter of this club can say the St Kilda board are to blame for this situation has me dumbfounded.
I think 5 is bull sh!t. How long have they really been talking to RL?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:The words which attract my attention are "unconditional contract".

If Fremantle are so niave and desperate as to offer a 4 or 5 year unconditional contract to a prospective AFL Coach, paying a salary of $1M to $1.5M a year depending on who you believe, they deserve all they get.

That St Kilda baulked at an unconditional contract was the correct course of action.

So good riddance to Lyon under these circumstances and good luck to Fremantle - they will need it.

Simply, every CEO accross Corporate Australia has a conditional contract, with delivery against KPP's signed off by the Board of Directors and then reviewed at least annually.

But Lyon wanted an unconditional contract to continue his coaching career - and Fremantle is the bunny in the headlights.

We are running into strong headwinds in regards revenue as Corporte Australia becomes far more discerning when spending money - and particularly in regards sponsorships.

Plus media is one of the areas which is feeling the pinch from the cut backs in discretionary spending accross society so the future "rivers of gold" from the electronic media coverage of AFL football are also in jeopardy.

Into this uncertain climate, Fremantle have offered the money they have, for a term of 4 or 5 years and with the Contract unconditional!
Agree and excellent points. It's not like the club is a friggin open cheque book ffs. Also, other clubs like Melbourne, Adelaide and Carlton could have thrown sh!t loads of money at him as well.

Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:

I have said this in another thread, I think it started around 6 weeks ago when Fremantle played us in Melbourne. I honestly think they approached him then. The media has been reporting since this happened late yesterday they believe it had been going on for around 6 weeks... It adds up..

In Ross Get lost!

I am excited to stay at St Kilda and this is a great result for the Club and all our fans. I’m proud to be part of the Saints and am pleased to be playing football with the Clubâ€
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Dal_Santos_Gal wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

I have said this in another thread, I think it started around 6 weeks ago when Fremantle played us in Melbourne. I honestly think they approached him then. The media has been reporting since this happened late yesterday they believe it had been going on for around 6 weeks... It adds up..
Well if your avatar approached me six weeks ago I probably would have left as well.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Agreed.

Think the Board has acted impeccably. Let's face it, they don't have a bottomless pit of money and can't afford to bent over every time another team is looking for a coach. Acted responsibly and ultimately delivered the goods ... but even this wasn't enough for Ross Lyin'.

Even now they're giving the media nothing ("Ross is welcome at the best and fairest") while you know that behind closed doors they're just steaming.

Still, whatever they do will be criticised by some (like Rod Butterrs, for God's sake).

hungry for a premiership
Club Player

Although I was ready to jump down the boards throat if they didn't resign him, it is as clear as day that the club is not to blame, as Lyon lied and deceived.

Lyon committed what can only be described as a "dog's act." Board not to blame.

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

[quote="Waltzing St Kilda" Even now they're giving the media nothing ("Ross is welcome at the best and fairest") while you know that behind closed doors they're just steaming. [/quote]

I din't see the presser as I was at the Supermarket all day looking fro brown paper bags to breathe into. This type of thing give me severe anxiey attacks and I had run out of bags but did he say that? That is f****** weak as piss...
Last edited by SaintPav on Fri 16 Sep 2011 10:16pm, edited 1 time in total.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

The end of an error.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
Dal_Santos_Gal wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

Well if your avatar approached me six weeks ago I probably would have left as well.
If I was a guy I would leave for my avatar too :) :) :)

In Ross Get lost!

I am excited to stay at St Kilda and this is a great result for the Club and all our fans. I’m proud to be part of the Saints and am pleased to be playing football with the Clubâ€
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Dal_Santos_Gal wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
Dal_Santos_Gal wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

If I was a guy I would leave for my avatar too :) :) :)
Any chance you look like that? :wink:

MadSaintFan
Club Player

I think some supporters just look for someone to blame when things dont go to plan.
Ross Lyon isnt the messiah to take as to a flag. It wont be 1 person who will ultimately deliver us what we want. Its the sum of all parts which produce the end result.
If you dont want to be on-board, piss off and go somewhere else. Thanks for the memories Ross, but thats what they are now - memories. We'll find a new coach, and new players will come in, and new sponsors will jump on board and a new history will be written.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

The thing with lyon is he's said , I'm a career coach who's priority is to his wife and 3 kids , which is obviously why he took that huge chunk of change . only problem for him is , if he doesn't win a flag in the near future ,he'll only have a short career . no one will want if he stuffs it up at freo .

Heidelberg_Saint
Club Player

To The Top, that's a great post.

Robbo said on SEN tonight that Lyon lost a lot of money a few years ago on the stock exchange. Interesting take on it all - money must be his priority # 1 above loyalty. What a sad world he's living in.

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

To the top wrote:The words which attract my attention are "unconditional contract".

Pretty much what I've been saying elsewhere. Think we dodged a bullet as you say. Our offer of a 5 year deal to Hamill was the last one we'd ever do. That cost us!
Last edited by Verdun66 on Fri 16 Sep 2011 11:29pm, edited 1 time in total.

To the top
SS Life Member

Just to add.

Without giving away too much, there is a NFC connection in this.

I would believe that the management group Lyon signed with and who were negotiating the extension of his contract to continue as coach of St Kilda were not comfortable with the unconditional contract demands.

IF an unconditional contract was entered into, this would put the Coach in charge of the football club - answerable to no one and with the back up of a long term contract that would financially impede the club in the event of the Board ever moving on the issue of under performance during the term of the contract.

Fremantle have a significant problem.

St Kilda, thankfully, does not.

It is time for St Kilda to move on.

Fremantle will reap what they sow.