selection panel for coach

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

selection panel for coach

Anyone know who is on the selection panel? I have heard thompson burke and nettlefold. Is that it? Maybe we need someone who has been in the game a bit more recently on the panel? Not being disrespectful.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Tue 20 Sep 2011 11:22am, edited 1 time in total.

mohannair
Club Player

Should have Leigh also from pure football angle.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Hopefully that will also change...

The selection comittee needs to be well represented by the playing group in my opinion and not dictated to by the coach.

Coach - 1 vote
Assistants - 1
Captain - 1
Vice Captain - 1

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: Hopefully that will also change...

WinnersOnly wrote:The selection comittee needs to be well represented by the playing group in my opinion and not dictated to by the coach.

Coach - 1 vote
Assistants - 1
Captain - 1
Vice Captain - 1
Current day St Kilda players should not be involved in the selection process.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Sorry for the confusion. I am actually talking about for the coach.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Today's Age - Nettlefold, Pelchen, Thompson and Burkey. The Age says that the Saints have not ruled out appointing an outside consultant who has coached at senior AFL level and preferably a premiership team.

My response - internal issues/bias can unfortunately impact on final decisions, especially as R. Harvey has applied.

The Club definitely needs an outside person - Matthews would be ideal. To get this right, it is important that we take advantage of an unbiased, outside perspective. We did this for the Lyon appointment and no-one can say that the result was poor.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:Today's Age - Nettlefold, Pelchen, Thompson and Burkey. The Age says that the Saints have not ruled out appointing an outside consultant who has coached at senior AFL level and preferably a premiership team.

My response - internal issues/bias can unfortunately impact on final decisions, especially as R. Harvey has applied.

The Club definitely needs an outside person - Matthews would be ideal. To get this right, it is important that we take advantage of an unbiased, outside perspective. We did this for the Lyon appointment and no-one can say that the result was poor.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
dragit
Saintsational Legend

I'm thinking BigMart, P66, Joffa, Stinger & the DR…

Could take a little while to reach a unanimous decision though.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I'm a WEE bit wary of the fact that we have Burkey and Thommo on the panel. NOW, before anyone gets started on me, I say this out of concern for those two gentlemen. With the best will in the world, it's going to be hard to ignore the claims of a former team mate and pal if Banger applies for the post, and the perception will emerge that it's an old boys club. They're in an awful position. I have no problem with Harves applying for the post, but being minddful of past experiences wwith the "Process" :roll: I have to go along with the idea of having at least 2 NON-SAINT members on the panel. GT got it right last night when he said the Saints cannot afford another "sentimental" decision"

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

We are all uneasy about this set-up Jiggster, especially with an R. Harvey in the mix. We need a good result on this one.

In addition to a Leigh Matthews type, a workplace psychologist and experienced headhunter would also be well worthwhile. The current Coaching panel looks very light on for "people/management" skills to me.

With large football departments today, coaching is very much about people/management skills, not simply "footy smarts."

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:We are all uneasy about this set-up Jiggster, especially with an R. Harvey in the mix. We need a good result on this one.

In addition to a Leigh Matthews type, a workplace psychologist and experienced headhunter would also be well worthwhile. The current Coaching panel looks very light on for "people/management" skills to me.

With large football departments today, coaching is very much about people/management skills, not simply "footy smarts."
I think you're overthinking it...

If he is the best candidate he will be appointed, if he isn't he won't.

onlooker
Club Player

With large football departments today, coaching is very much about people/management skills, not simply "footy smarts."[/quote]

What about David Parkin?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I disagree sainter k. best candidate is pretty subjective. I would like someone closer to the modern game on the panel. Thompson has not played since alves ? That's old school.
We could have got mark ricciuto or something along those lines. Its only a few weeks work. And burke and thomo too close to harves.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

It would be great if they could get Leigh Matthews onto the selection panel, and if they select an assistant coach, if he could mentor him for half a season.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Thompson has not played since alves ? That's old school.
I don't think so Con jeepers…

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

SainterK said :
I think you're overthinking it...

If he is the best candidate he will be appointed, if he isn't he won't
I am ok with Harvey applying, as the process will sort the wheat from the charf. We need a good outcome on this appointment, and I just think that we shoiuld do everything possible in setting up the Selection Panel, to ensure that we get the best outcome. A couple of outsiders are a must in my opinion.

As Onlooker also suggested, I would have David Parkin on the panel in a heartbeat!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
don't think what? please explain it to me rather than make a smart alec remark? u telling me thompson is close to the modern game or as close as we can get? im sorry but you are factually wrong. hes years off the modern game. i have total respect for the bloke but im pretty sure hes an accountant now and hasnt played under the press. so dont tell me hes the most contemporary guy we can get on the panel.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
dragit wrote:
don't think what? please explain it to me rather than make a smart alec remark? u telling me thompson is close to the modern game or as close as we can get? im sorry but you are factually wrong. hes years off the modern game. i have total respect for the bloke but im pretty sure hes an accountant now and hasnt played under the press. so dont tell me hes the most contemporary guy we can get on the panel.
Thommo played his final year in Ross first year as coach.

He is a stock broker and he is a very nice person.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
markinUSA
SS Life Member

Sainter K would be the first person I'd get on the selection panel - she has the runs on the board for picking a winner better than anyone else!

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
dragit wrote:
Factually wrong, that would be you chief…
Thompson played for a decade after Alves left, his last year was under Lyon.
Can't see where I have written anything about how close he is to the modern game, I wouldn't have the faintest - just like you.
He has been on our board since he retired, so he's probably aware of the 'press' unless he is too busy knitting.

Con + Good Story ≠ truth

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Nathan Burke is not the smartest man around if his Inside Football column is anything to go by. Watch for this to end badly.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:I'm thinking BigMart, P66, Joffa, Stinger & the DR…

Could take a little while to reach a unanimous decision though.
I think you should add b4e to that panel, although he could be biased towards any ruckmen who might apply.

We could also add that absolute font of footy/saints knowledge Hutchy as Chairman of the panel. That way the new coach could top up his salary with a gig on CrocMedia :wink: :wink: !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Might as well choose Forrest Gump, Mr Bean and Gomer Pyle!

Watch them totally **** this up!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
dragit wrote:
Factually wrong, that would be you chief…
Thompson played for a decade after Alves left, his last year was under Lyon.
Can't see where I have written anything about how close he is to the modern game, I wouldn't have the faintest - just like you.
He has been on our board since he retired, so he's probably aware of the 'press' unless he is too busy knitting.

Con + Good Story ≠ truth
You are correct he played in 2007 - so I was wrong there. Being aware of something isnt really what im talking about. I am aware people have sex with models but I dont know how to actually do it.

But if ur saying our selection panel is A grade then I disagree. Thats 2008, 09, 10 and 11 out of the game. 4 years ( I must admit I thought it was longer) - but 4 years is about 3 years too many IMO.
So yes - truth is thommo is 4 years out which aint that flash and Burkey is no rhodes scholar im afraid.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:Might as well choose Forrest Gump, Mr Bean and Gomer Pyle!

Watch them totally **** this up!
You've knocked them and their decision BEFORE they have made it. Why not give us YOUR opinion on who YOU think should be the next coach of St Kilda !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!