When BUTTHEAD announced at the AGM we were abandoning Tassie

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

End Of An Era
Club Player

When BUTTHEAD announced at the AGM we were abandoning Tassie

I got up and told him that this was a very short sighted decision and would come back and bite the club in the ar$e. His response was the playing group did not like playing down there.

Anyone remember that far back?? Well my friends, that time has come. I hate BUTTHEAD for what he has done to this club. When you add to this the stupid decision to play home games at Docklands and to relocate our training base to Seaford, this past decade has been horendous for our club.

This is not 20 / 20 hindsight either. I remember saying at the time that our stupidity is Hawthorn's gain. I predicted at the time that Hawthorn would eventually have 10,000 Tassie members and would become one of the richest clubs in the league. Finally it has all come back to roost but the *UCKWITS that made the above decisions are not even at our club anymore.

Before it is too late, we must shift our home games against Victorian teams to the MCG, play 1 game in Canberra and 1 game in Darwin against non-Victorian teams, and then the rest at Docklands.

As far as Seaford is concerned, that is a blunder that can not be reversed

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Disagree about Seaford, if this is one of the "straws that broke the camels back" for Lyon and/or the players then they need to GO! How many working people have had to travel miles to get to work after an employer made the decision to relocate!? GIVE ME A BREAK!! The team have state of the art facilities, and anyone who thinks we should have stayed at Moorabbin as it stands now, is ignoring the fact that the PREVIOUS administration stuffed up the redevelopment BIG TIME!!!!!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
End Of An Era
Club Player

We should have a found a way to redevelop Moorabbin. Failing that we should have gone back to the Junction Oval.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:Disagree about Seaford, if this is one of the "straws that broke the camels back" for Lyon and/or the players then they need to GO! How many working people have had to travel miles to get to work after an employer made the decision to relocate!? GIVE ME A BREAK!! The team have state of the art facilities, and anyone who thinks we should have stayed at Moorabbin as it stands now, is ignoring the fact that the PREVIOUS administration stuffed up the redevelopment BIG TIME!!!!!
If its a problem its a problem.... Justifying it because other people have to travel is useless.

It will and is affecting our club.

Out in the middle of nowhere.

savatage
SS Life Member

Our genius ex coach GT was a major reason we left Tassie as well...way too much was listened to what he had to say on that matter.

That was a stupid decision indeed.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Did we ever win a game in Tassie while we were there, or was the best we got Sirengate? Glad to see the back of the place.

Mrs_Seaford_Saint
Club Player

Spinner wrote:
If its a problem its a problem.... Justifying it because other people have to travel is useless.

It will and is affecting our club.

Out in the middle of nowhere.
Seaford is not in the middle of nowhere and I am over people going on and on about it - the ground all but backs Eastlink which hooks up to the Monash and the Eastern - it's not a hard drive or a long one.

End Of An Era
Club Player

I hate "Eddie Everywhere" but when he relocated Collingfilth from Victoria Park to Swan Street, he knew exactly what he was doing. Only a drop kick away from the MCG where they play all their home games, and more importantly, centrally located so ALL supporters can get there.

Saints43
Club Player

savatage wrote:Our genius ex coach GT was a major reason we left Tassie as well...way too much was listened to what he had to say on that matter.

What a dropkick he was for trying to give the team the best chance of finsihing top4, and therefore the best chance at a flag.

Some people just want it both ways.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Re: When BUTTHEAD announced at the AGM we were abandoning Ta

End Of An Era wrote:I hate BUTTHEAD for what he has done to this club. When you add to this the stupid decision to play home games at Docklands and to relocate our training base to Seaford, this past decade has been horendous for our club.

As far as Seaford is concerned, that is a blunder that can not be reversed

Just to clarify!

Butterss was actively trying to relocate the club to St Kilda or as close to it as possible when he was removed

The current board relocated the club to Seaford!

AND they made the announcement about Frankston within two weeks of being elected without once mentioning this to the members before the vote was decided!

Butterrs is on record as saying he thinks the Seaford move is STUPID!

savatage
SS Life Member

Saints43 wrote:
savatage wrote:Our genius ex coach GT was a major reason we left Tassie as well...way too much was listened to what he had to say on that matter.

What a dropkick he was for trying to give the team the best chance of finsihing top4, and therefore the best chance at a flag.

Some people just want it both ways.
So much for his "anywhere, anytime" motto or whatever the f*** he used to say. Playing football on another oval saving us travelling to Perth more often & banking an extra million dollars a year in added revenue & membership would've really sucked I guess then?
Last edited by savatage on Tue 20 Sep 2011 4:43pm, edited 2 times in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

End Of An Era wrote:We should have a found a way to redevelop Moorabbin. Failing that we should have gone back to the Junction Oval.
And how could we do either of those things. JO oval is the home of Victorian cricket and the council wouldnt work with us even after 2 years negotiations. Anyway why would JO be a good option?

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

End Of An Era wrote:, this past decade has been horendous for our club.

You think so. Maybe you just don't watch the games.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
End Of An Era
Club Player

kosifantutti23 wrote:

I'm talking off the field.

savatage
SS Life Member

Saints43 wrote:

Oh & it really hurt the Hawks chances in recent years hasn't it....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

End Of An Era wrote:
kosifantutti23 wrote:

I'm talking off the field.
Yep we have made profits for about 8 of the last 10 years compared to probably 8 of the last 100 before that. I take it you are only about 15 years old and no little of the saints history on and off the field.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:Disagree about Seaford, if this is one of the "straws that broke the camels back" for Lyon and/or the players then they need to GO! How many working people have had to travel miles to get to work after an employer made the decision to relocate!? GIVE ME A BREAK!! The team have state of the art facilities, and anyone who thinks we should have stayed at Moorabbin as it stands now, is ignoring the fact that the PREVIOUS administration stuffed up the redevelopment BIG TIME!!!!!

Actually that was Archie Fraser who stuffed up with Kingston Council

who helped remove Butters who was trying to relocate to St kilda

and was very much a part of the CURRENT BOARD until he got another offer and left

and

was the architect and brains behind a relocation to Frankston

KEEP IT REAL

End Of An Era
Club Player

I'm 48 and I know St kilda's history as well as anyone on here. What I'm saying is that after 8 years of "success" we should have no debt and money in the bank before the inevitable slide. Unfortunately we don't and our club is now facing a very testing next 4 years.

End Of An Era
Club Player

I spoke to Rodd Butthead at that AGM, Not Archie Fraser.

GSG
Club Player

End Of An Era wrote:I got up and told him that this was a very short sighted decision and would come back and bite the club in the ar$e. His response was the playing group did not like playing down there.

Anyone remember that far back?? Well my friends, that time has come. I hate BUTTHEAD for what he has done to this club.
Actually, I remember reasonably well. And it wasn't Butterss - it Was Grant Thomas who pushed for the removal of Tassie.
The Saints didn't play too well there, so GT felt they'd be better off not to travel. I was really very angry at the time.

Also might I remind you that BUTTHEAD was the one who put us in the black and Mr. Hideaway promptly put us back in the red - this year to the tune of $1.5m, despite the windfall of being in 3 GF's!!

St Lenny
Club Player

OMG why does everyone have such a short memory. GET OVER SEAFORD. St Kilda tried to stay at Moorbabbin, we were not wanted. Have you forgotten how difficult the council was/is to deal with. They tried for years, everything they did to to appease the council was shot down. At some stage you just have to accept you are not wanted and look else where. Thats what we did.

As for Tasmania, have people forgotten we use to loose every time we played there.

No point in crapping on about the past. Its over and of no relevance to today.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Butterss was a loose cannon, but a Saint at heart and did his best for the club, not disimilar to fat Eddie mouthing off at Collingwood. The Westaway crew came in on a ticket involving the supposed fact that we would have had trouble attracting sponsors under Butterss, but lo and behold sponsors are dropping off us again, and no premiership,.. hardly worth the effort really.

lefty
Club Player

Sick of people bitching about Seaford.

They have farken East Link, and its not that farkn far.

The amount of money the players make is more than enough to justify the drive.

People are just never happy, give them something and they want more.

Far out, I wonder what would happen if everyone complained about having to pay to play football (vafa) and play on shitty grounds and having to drive to teams like Werribee and Rupertswood.

Morrabbin was just too friggen old. You'd have to bulldose the entire thing and rebuild. They tried to get it done, and they couldn't, so move on.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

lefty wrote:Sick of people bitching about Seaford.

They have farken East Link, and its not that farkn far.

The amount of money the players make is more than enough to justify the drive.

People are just never happy, give them something and they want more.

Far out, I wonder what would happen if everyone complained about having to pay to play football (vafa) and play on shitty grounds and having to drive to teams like Werribee and Rupertswood.

Morrabbin was just too friggen old. You'd have to bulldose the entire thing and rebuild. They tried to get it done, and they couldn't, so move on.
Exactly!

The council were a bunch of stubborn nuff-nuffs who obviously wanted the Moorabbin ground to remain a dump (which it was).

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

End Of An Era wrote:I hate "Eddie Everywhere" but when he relocated Collingfilth from Victoria Park to Swan Street, he knew exactly what he was doing. Only a drop kick away from the MCG where they play all their home games, and more importantly, centrally located so ALL supporters can get there.
as long as they don't wish to park there?

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107