What type of players do we need to add to our list?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

What type of players do we need to add to our list?

What type of players do we need t0 add to our list? and dont answer good ones.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

footy players

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
End Of An Era
Club Player

Re: What type of players do we need to add to our list?

borderbarry wrote:What type of players do we need t0 add to our list? and dont answer good ones.
Pick the best available youth in the National Draft.
As far as trades are concerned, if we do participate we should ask for National Draft Picks for any players that we might trade.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Fast and skilled midfielders

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

To be honest Barry, it's hard to know.

I'd like to see guys like Walsh, Lynch, Simpkin, Winmar...plus last years crop...given more games.

I'd say we need a key forward, but there could very well be one under our noses already.

When I look at the list, it appears it's still the run and carry, pacey guys that we lack?

SaintSimmo
Club Player

1) Strong Full Back
2) Full Forward (if kosi takes 2nd ruck spot, but Walsh may solve this problem)
3) Small forward to replace milne when he retires
4) Tough, in and under midfielder to replace lenny when he retires
5) That elusive 3rd forward
6) Rebounding defender with good skills (if gilbo goes to gws)

Sainter for life.
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

SaintSimmo wrote:1) Strong Full Back
2) Full Forward (if kosi takes 2nd ruck spot, but Walsh may solve this problem)
3) Small forward to replace milne when he retires
4) Tough, in and under midfielder to replace lenny when he retires
5) That elusive 3rd forward
6) Rebounding defender with good skills (if gilbo goes to gws)
1) Zac is sufficient, but happy to develop a big bodied kid.
2) Dawes, or make a play for Zac Clarke meaning Kosi FT forward
3) Crocker/Curren
4) Steven and Armo to step up again
5) Fev
6) We have a plethora of these players. Losing one wont mean we need to replace from outside our list.

I think our priority should be best mid available, plus a ready made fwd. Ideal world would give us Mitch Clark/Chris Dawes and O'Meara - we have no chance of either though.

If a slider came to us, ie, Jack Darling, Isaac Smith, Dyson Heppell from last years draft we should jump all over it. Darling was a massive stuff up from us at last years draft. I hope I'm wrong about Cripps and he turns into a superstar, but we could have gotten Darling and missed him - now this year we've noticed a deficiency in a good 3rd fwd.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I personally feel we need a stronger full back. a powerful full forward (and I cant understand why Walsh was'nt tried)
some speed in the mid field, some speed in defence and speed in the forward /half forward area, as well as a young ruckman to develop.

We need so much that if we just took the best player available for our first few picks we would not be far off the mark.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

In defence of Cripps, I bet he has kicked more goals per quarter of footbal than Darling has. He kicked 7, and only played one or two full games, the other two games he was the sub and played one or two quarters.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Yeah not taking Darling was a massive stuff up...However we're not the only club to overlook him and I'm optimistic that Cripps will be that quick and skilful midfielder that we've been screaming out for

Walsh may fill the power forward void which Darling could have

Siposs the medium forward

Crocker the small forward

Stanley the forward / 2nd ruck

Our backs look fairly settled

Still need another couple of mids. Gaff would be ideal

Stian
Club Player

I still think that we have a lot of un-tapped talent that has spent 2 to 3 years developing in the 2nds. THey are now stronger and more experienced and could blossom when given an opportunity.

I'm not convinced that we need a wholesale rebuild of the list.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Draft wish list

1st Round – Selection 20 St Kilda

Shane Nelson
Club: West Perth
Height: 179 cm
Weight: 73 kg
"Represented WA at the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships playing in all games averaging 22 disposals. He is very effective with his disposals and works tirelessly to get to as many contests as possible. A quick player who can play in the midfield and can go forward and kick goals."
Comparison: Leigh Montagna
Midfielder who can go forward!

Taylor Adams
Club: Geelong Falcons
Height: 181 cm
Weight: 80 kg
"Represented Vic Country at the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, averaging 18.8 possessions and four tackles over four games. An exceptional leader and role model for other players. He is a clean ball handler and strong around contested footy. He was selected as an All Australian in the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships."
Comparison: Nathan Foley
Classy midfielder – with pace & agility

Sam Kerridge
Club: Bendigo Pioneers
Height: 188cm,
Weight: 84kg,
Really powerful midfielder. Racks up big numbers in the midfield and this kid is a serious jet. Has an immense burst of speed and was very unlucky not to get games for Vic Country. Has that trademark Judd type explosive speed. Always looks dangerous when he gets near it and gets big clearance numbers. Strong mark overhead. Really great size and can get amongst the goals. Has been very consistent throughout the year.
Comparison: Judd/Pendlebury
Big bodied quick midfielder – clearance king!

2nd Round – Selection 42 St Kilda

Jackson Paine
Club: Sandringham Dragons/ Melbourne Grammar
Height: 194cm
Weight: 86kg
"Represented Vic Metro at the Under 18 Championships. He is a very strong key position player who runs very hard at the contest and has the ability to split open a pack with his strong marking."
Comparison: Matthew Pavlich
Great Key forward prospect!

Matthew Jacquier
Club: Woodville West-Torrens
Height: 189 cm
Weight: 82 kg
"He shows good game sense as a strong marking forward with natural pace and good disposal skills on both sides."
Comparison: Steven Johnson
Cant have enough natural goal kickers!

Haiden Schlothe
Club: South Fremantle Football Club
Height: 179cm
Weight: 72kg
Profile: Really good user of the footy. Looks dangerous whenever he gets near it. Good reader of the play. Has that radar where he just knows exactly where the goals are. Looks incredibly draftable. Has really impressed me and stood out in the couple of games I’ve seen of him. Can play up the field but just love what I’ve seen of him as a forward!
Comparison: Mark LeCras
Apparently Collingwood are very keen on this kid – small forward option.

3rd Round – Selection 57 St Kilda

Julian Dobosz
Club: North Hobart
Height: 193cm
Weight: 85kg
"Very smart player inside 50 averaging 3.8 goals in 4 matches in the NAB AFL Under 18 Championships. Reads the ball well in flight, positions himself cleverly in the marking contest, has sure hands and an accurate shot for goal."
Natural full forward – could be anything!

Tom Downie
Club: North Ballarat Rebels
Height: 205 cm
Weight: 95 kg
"Represented Australia in the World Under-17 Basketball Championships in Germany 2010 before playing football for St Patricks College Ballarat this year, then joining the Rebels at the end of the season for two matches, averaging 13 disposals, showing outstanding natural talent."
Best available ruckmen !

Sebastian Ross
Club: North Ballarat Rebels
"Represented Vic Country at the NAB AFL Under 18 Championships, averaging 14.5 possessions and four tackles a game. His strengths are his work rate, contested footy, preparation and leadership. He is the cousin of Jobe Watson."
Comparison: Nic Dal Santo
Classy midfielder!

4th Round – Selection 78 St Kilda

Ahmed Saad
Club: Northern Bullants
Height: 176cm
Weight: 76kg,
Probably the best crumbing forward going around in the VFL. Comes from a soccer background. Really creative right foot goal sneak. Knows where the goals are. Reads the play incredibly well. Has nice speed. Gives really good tackling effort consistently and works hard whenever the ball is anywhere near his area. Very right foot reliant and needs to continue working on creating a left foot.
Small forward replacement for Milne!

Jason Williams
Club: Calder Cannons
"He has a strong ability to carry the ball and break the lines. He marks well and has shown he is dangerous when pushing forward. He is very competitive and tackles strongly. He is the cousin of former Hawk and Bomber, Mark Williams."
Classy forward with midfield ability.

Jack Newnes
Club: Northern Knights
"Represented Vic Metro at the NAB AFL Under 18 Championships, averaging 14 possessions. He reads the ball well and is versatile enough to play back, midfield or forward. He has a penetrating kick, good user inside and he is a solid tackler."
Another midfield option. [/b]

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Young ones.

We need to be trying to find our next leadership group.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

for me it's midfielders

we need a good up and coming, fast, skilled midfielder... maybe 2

ThePunter
Club Player

If we trade players out of the club, we should use them to move up in the draft rather than stockpile draft picks. With 19 picks before our first one, we should be using any trades to move our picks as early as possible in the draft.

Hemi Baxter
Club Player

Saw a fair few VFL games this year. Of those who played against us I wonder what posters thought of Collingwood's Sundberg (especially his game at Trevor Barker Oval) and yes I know he is a bit one sided.

The other player who has always impressed me as lovely kick, great reader of the play and classy mover is Sam Dwyer and I also wondered what other VFL fans think of him as a prospective selection.

Both would probably fall to very low in the rookie draft I imagine.

paddy
Club Player

if carlton have taught us anything this year, it is that with a strong mid-field, and back line, anything is possible.

I agree with posts above though, fast, strong midfielders who can float forward and back.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Probably need what we aint got! Always need a good midfield, but premiership teams are balanced across all lines -or at least have a winner in a lot of positions from back to forward. We need players who are good one-on-one players, who can show they can beat their opponents one-out. If I was a recruiter, I would have an eye out for players small to big who are good overhead and who have good footskills. A tall order, but a lot of work needs to be done to improve the "bottom six" for starters

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

You win games with the mids. We need as many mids as possible and that way you can cover your forwards and backs. Unless the game changes in the next few years to where mids arent as important then just keep getting them and one or two backs and forwards.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

(1) Must have good footskills regardless of position
(2) Need mids who can win plenty of their own ball - but not at the expense of (1)
(3) A tall defender
(4) A backup ruckman
(5) A mobile 3rd tall forward - the player that Jarryd Allen would have become. We may already have one in our ranks who needs to be given a chance (Lynch, Walsh, Stanley)

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Of the players mentioned above by Winners Only, I fancy Sam Kerridge in the first round,. maybe Jackson Payne in the second. and I like all the 3 mentioned in the 3rd round. I am glad I am not selecting them. Although I would make room for Murray Newman (WA – Mid/Fwd)
Height: 177cm, Weight: 65kg, DOB: 18/11/1993
Recruited from: Swan Districts Football Club
Style: Has pace. Has really good vision and can find space.

Sainter_Boy
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:I personally feel we need a stronger full back. a powerful full forward (and I cant understand why Walsh was'nt tried)
some speed in the mid field, some speed in defence and speed in the forward /half forward area, as well as a young ruckman to develop.

We need so much that if we just took the best player available for our first few picks we would not be far off the mark.
i think youll find that ross wasnt with this year his compassion went out the window or him and walshy had some probelms

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

When you look at the forwards we have coming on, Stanley, Walsh, Johnston, even Lynch, they are all 6'3" or better. We have no small forwards coming on, or not many. That is one area we can address in tghe draft, along with ruckmen.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Hemi Baxter wrote:Saw a fair few VFL games this year. Of those who played against us I wonder what posters thought of Collingwood's Sundberg (especially his game at Trevor Barker Oval) and yes I know he is a bit one sided.

The other player who has always impressed me as lovely kick, great reader of the play and classy mover is Sam Dwyer and I also wondered what other VFL fans think of him as a prospective selection.

Both would probably fall to very low in the rookie draft I imagine.
A mates nephew got drafted to the Pies last year and he has been watching all their games. He said sundberg was a really good player and should get picked up this year. Said he's been BOG most games he went to.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

ones that can kick with either foot