The importance of Pelchin and trading this year

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

The importance of Pelchin and trading this year

Its probably well known already, but Chris Pelchin would have to be the most important person at St Kilda over the next couple of months.

Without a coach, we are pretty much relying on him to bring us through this. From all reports we have a beauty in Pelchin, who has brought in quality players like Burgoyne, Hale and Gibson to the Hawks. Coupled with draftees like Shiels, Stratton, Smith, Suckling etc, I have a fair bit of faith that he will do well.

He has also lost some players over that period, Kennedy, Brown and McGlynn come to mind. That makes me think that he is not afraid to trade off some (sort of) quality for quality.

The best thing about him I think is that from all reports he didn't really leave on great terms with Hawthorn. All speculation, but do you think we will/have made a huge play for Jack Gunston because Pelchin wants to get one over his old club? I reckon his ego will get Gunston to our club, whether that is a good thing or not remains to be seen, but I think this kid is exactly what we need going forward.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
mrkiss
Club Player

so ok we go for (norman) gunston

I read that tom lynch wants to go to sa so him and paul cahill for gunston
and maybe a pick ?

noob
Club Player

Tom Lynch barracked for St.Kilda as a kid. Has family and friends here doubt he would want to go to SA when he has a fresh start with a new coach coming along.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

noob wrote:Tom Lynch barracked for St.Kilda as a kid. Has family and friends here doubt he would want to go to SA when he has a fresh start with a new coach coming along.
I think Tom wants opportunity.

If Zac gets traded then I think Tom will stay & get a chance as a key defender.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Re: so ok we go for (norman) gunston

mrkiss wrote:I read that tom lynch wants to go to sa so him and paul cahill for gunston
and maybe a pick ?
I think it was more that the Crows want Tom Lynch to go to them. TL was a Saints supporter growing up, I can't see him wanting to leave unless it was for guaranteed game time over no guarantees with us.

Back to Pelchin, just read somewhere that Pelchin worked out a deal to send Hay to Kangas for two first round picks a few years ago... hopefully he brings some of that magic to us...

Strength through Loyalty
bergsone
SS Life Member

St Ick wrote:
mrkiss wrote:I read that tom lynch wants to go to sa so him and paul cahill for gunston
and maybe a pick ?
I think it was more that the Crows want Tom Lynch to go to them. TL was a Saints supporter growing up, I can't see him wanting to leave unless it was for guaranteed game time over no guarantees with us.

Back to Pelchin, just read somewhere that Pelchin worked out a deal to send Hay to Kangas for two first round picks a few years ago... hopefully he brings some of that magic to us...
Hay=Kosi?......Hope not

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

bergsone wrote:
St Ick wrote:
and maybe a pick ?

Hay=Kosi?......Hope not
You suggesting we could get two first rounders for Kosi? Hope so...

Strength through Loyalty
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

St Ick wrote:
and maybe a pick ?

He also copped a lot for allegedly keeping Hay's issues with depression & 'medication' on the quiet thus maximising what North would give up.

Pelchen also bent the Swans over in the Everitt trade & got a fair whack from North again for Nathan Thompson.

Reputation of being tough to deal with but gets results.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Animal Enclosure wrote:
St Ick wrote:
and maybe a pick ?

He also copped a lot for allegedly keeping Hay's issues with depression & 'medication' on the quiet thus maximising what North would give up.

Pelchen also bent the Swans over in the Everitt trade & got a fair whack from North again for Nathan Thompson.

Reputation of being tough to deal with but gets results.
Yeah seems pretty ruthless but usually wins. His getting rid of Mark Williams was pretty impressive too. At least he was actually getting trades to work...

Strength through Loyalty
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

If you haven't read it yet, try to get a copy of Emma Quayle's "The Draft".

It looks closely at Hawthorn's list management circa 2006-7 when Pelchen was using his blueprint to build what became a premiership winning list.

End Of An Era
Club Player

If Pelchen has any balls he will trade the following players for draft picks....

Goddard, Dal Santo, Kosi, Rooey, Dawson, Ray and Peake.

Then he will trade in at least 7 gun youngsters from the November National Draft. Here's hoping!!!!!

saintlee
Club Player

End Of An Era wrote:If Pelchen has any balls he will trade the following players for draft picks....

Then he will trade in at least 7 gun youngsters from the November National Draft. Here's hoping!!!!!
You want to trade out three of our best players in a weak draft? Surely you're taking the piss...

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saintlee wrote:
End Of An Era wrote:If Pelchen has any balls he will trade the following players for draft picks....

You want to trade out three of our best players in a weak draft? Surely you're taking the piss...
I actually think he's the thing the piss comes out of :P

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Pelchan just quoted on the radio (news update) as saying that we wouldn't be trading "anyone of the calibre of Gilbert or Goddard" to ease the salary cap pressure. Good to hear we're not in that much cap trouble.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

dawson and ray are up for grabs

#1 Ryder fan
saintlee
Club Player

MC Gusto wrote:dawson and ray are up for grabs
Is this now fact? I have only heard rumours of it so far...

Ross who?
Club Player

Get stuffed troll! Go back under your bridge.

Blake Acres fan club VIP
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

It certainly looks like we will be offloading one or two GOPs who could be replaced by cheaper kids. The players up for grabs would be Ray, Peake, Jones and Dawson IMO.

Saints Angel
Club Player

[quote="End Of An Era"]If Pelchen has any balls he will trade the following players for draft picks....

Then he will trade in at least 7 gun youngsters from the November National Draft. Here's hoping!!!!![/quote]

What a ridiculous statement. We need our top players to build for next year. Saints have said these guys are not going anywhere. Don't hold your breath.

defacto
Club Player

mad saint guy wrote:It certainly looks like we will be offloading one or two GOPs who could be replaced by cheaper kids. The players up for grabs would be Ray, Peake, Jones and Dawson IMO.
spot on mate!!!! age is also going to play a huge factor.

peake is 28/29. i think the trade period might decide the fate of blake. especially if were after another ruckmen. wonder what it means for archer and to a lesser extent stanley.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

I doubt any club will be interested in Peake

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

How the heck can this poster still be allowed to troll and bait on these boards?
It's a stressful time for Saints supporters - we don't need this.........
Ban, close account, Red Card, whatever.

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:

How the heck can this poster still be allowed to troll and bait on these boards?
It's a stressful time for Saints supporters - we don't need this.........
Ban, close account, Red Card, whatever.
At least mod him a knob as an avatar..... :lol:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Ban, close account, Red Card, whatever

Nah. Too entertaining. Unless you take him/her seriously of course.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Interesting comment from Pelchen...

"Yes there will be a number of changes to our list over the course of this week, but having said that I’m not sure they’ll be the players that have been mentioned."

Who is on the table..... :shock:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.