What we need to draft

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

big_mac_evoy5
Club Player

What we need to draft

Hey guys just seeing what people think about what we need I think we need to go tall as we lack you key position players.
Previding we don't sacrifice too much. Aja missing a gun mid. I think we should draft like this.
Key defender: to either replace Dawson or if we have injuries. We lack real height in defence. So I would use our first pick on KD
Next a ruckman: we only have 1 ruckman. Stanley will be a forward. And we can't rely on kis kosi too much. So we need one
Then the our next pick should be a key forward. We need more invade of injuries .

saints for the flag armitage for rising start
big_mac_evoy5
Club Player

Sorry a thing got on the page. Sorry for spelling mistakes. I could see the second half it's not invade it is incase

saints for the flag armitage for rising start
hungry for a premiership
Club Player

Re: What we need to draft

big_mac_evoy5 wrote:Hey guys just seeing what people think about what we need I think we need to go tall as we lack you key position players.
Previding we don't sacrifice too much. Aja missing a gun mid. I think we should draft like this.
Key defender: to either replace Dawson or if we have injuries. We lack real height in defence. So I would use our first pick on KD
Next a ruckman: we only have 1 ruckman. Stanley will be a forward. And we can't rely on kis kosi too much. So we need one
Then the our next pick should be a key forward. We need more invade of injuries .

You would use our first pick on Kim Duthie? Really??

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
tweedaletomanning
Club Player

Re: What we need to draft

hungry for a premiership wrote:
big_mac_evoy5 wrote:Hey guys just seeing what people think about what we need I think we need to go tall as we lack you key position players.

You would use our first pick on Kim Duthie? Really??
Wrong KD, I think he was talking about that lesbian country and soul singer...

Kilda
Club Player

I think they need to focus on key position spine players (eg that Tommy Walsh was being groomed for). Another ruckman is also crucial.

Could we get scientists to clone BJ so he can be a half back sweeper and explosive forward target. :wink:

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Here's someone else's shot at what we need to draft...

http://www.saintsational.com/forum/view ... hp?t=73635

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
elphie
Club Player

we need pace and mids- and pace and mids- and pace and mids-
that's all to start............

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I think we actually need all of the above. But since we have so far picked up two pacy smaller players. with our first picks maybe we should pick up a ruckman and key position players .

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:I think we actually need all of the above. But since we have so far picked up two pacy smaller players. with our first picks maybe we should pick up a ruckman and key position players .
I agree

gringo
Saintsational Legend

A grunt ball winning mid and a spare ruck would be nice as would a james kelly or Nick Dal santo classy mid with good disposal. Key position player such as Callum Wilson or Jack Darling type lead up forward.

ctqs
Club Player

The new coach said on his first day in the job - last day of trade week - we need elite foot skills and speed from the draft.

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

ctqs wrote:The new coach said on his first day in the job - last day of trade week - we need elite foot skills and speed from the draft.
That was before we dumped quite a few 191cm or taller players, sure they were gumbies or unprovens but every list needs x amount of talls, both for backup and development and we are starting again in some of those areas....

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

If we picked up a key defender would you consider playing Dawson forrward?

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Looks like we now need a fullback. I thought we did anyway.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Key Backman easier to find than forwards ...

Just remember that the two best Full Backs in the competition Matt Scarlett and Darren Glass are both 192cms tall so you dont need height just speed and strength. Perhaps Simpkin can fill the role but I would draft another designated Full Back just in case. Also remeber we have Fergusson 194cms as a rookie who will also play key back.

Nathan Blee – (East Perth 192 / 90 / 90)

Key defender.
Had a great season for East Perth and was one of only 4 mature age players invited to the National combine. Will get picked by somebody in one of the drafts and will be able to perform immediately at AFL level. Has good pace and relies on ‘smarts’ to spoil forwards. Reads the play and positions himself very well.
Note: Another 22-23 year old ready to go player.
AFL Comparison – Craig Bolton

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Scarlett is 6'4" and 97kg and not to mention a champion

Glass would be nearly 100kg

both very strong players who rarely lose one on one

peter lockwood
Club Player

We need 2 key defenders,2 key forwards,1 ruckman and the other 2 quick midfielders!

saintly
Saintsational Legend

peter lockwood wrote:We need 2 key defenders,2 key forwards,1 ruckman and the other 2 quick midfielders!
we need a new team 8-)

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Whereas we were only yo have 6 picks apparently, we will need a 7th now. Interesting times ahead.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Exactly 6'4 is 192 cm's

BigMart wrote:Scarlett is 6'4" and 97kg and not to mention a champion

Glass would be nearly 100kg

both very strong players who rarely lose one on one
Exactly 6'4 is 192 cm's and SCARLETT is listed at 94kg's. What to say Simpkin or a replacement couldn't reach those dimensions.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Ruckman has to be the priority surely?

If Ben went down, shudder.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

One door closes, another one opens. It's funny, the best option for our first draft pick may be the one with the article in the HS today, Andrew Boseley, who impressed at full back in the U18's this year. He is listed at 194cm and apparently has very impressive speed (especially closing speed), athleticism and is an "expert spoiler". According to the article, he is a strong chance to be drafted in the 25-40 range and St Kilda was one of 5 clubs mentioned as having spoken to him. Looks to have only just played the one year at FB, too, so you'd think there will be a lot more improvement in him.
They reckon Freo are in the "box seat" to get him, with pick 29, so if Zac leaves and we see him as a quality prospect for full back, we may have to trump them with pick 25:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/a ... 6180833651
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Mon 31 Oct 2011 1:32pm, edited 2 times in total.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

We need at least one readymade ruck/key forward option and a big bodied defender. After that we should go best available with footskills a priority. I can't think of any position we really have covered; we have lots of medium defenders but few who can kick.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us draft O'hAilpin and Coad. Wilson from WC and McCauley from Brisbane would be looked at as well. It won't happen but if we want to try and win a flag in 2012 Fev would be essential as well.

We've lost Gardiner, Gaertner, Walsh, Lynch, Cahill, Johnson and Dawson without any tall replacements so far. That's 8 talls gone from a list that already lacked depth in the ruck.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

I'd hope the club were looking at Nathan Blee for a key defender as well... 21, 192cm, 90kg. As a WA boy I'm sure our new coaching group would have plenty of insight on him.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/ ... -big-time/

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
matrix
Saintsational Legend