Jason Gram - where to?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

PJ
SS Life Member

Jason Gram - where to?

Are we (coaches) going to go with the same old this year or do you reckon he'll get a new lease with the attacking tweeks that are planned?

Pretty average 2011 but if he gets a full preseason and a bit of luck with injuries. One of our most attacking players but didn't find much joy in Lyon's game plan.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jason Gram - where to?

PJ wrote:Pretty average 2011 but if he gets a full preseason and a bit of luck with injuries. One of our most attacking players but didn't find much joy in Lyon's game plan.
Don't think Lovett's party plan helped either.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

At or close to full fitness he is still probably best 22 material as long as we are winning enough inside footy to dish it out to him.

Doubtful his kicking or speed will drastically improve so ideally Ledger/Cripps/Winmar step up and overtake him because all use it better, however at the moment only Ledger has the same ability to actually win the footy.

Its a shame Peake's best hasn't coincided with Gram's best. Similar players and hard to stop two potentially damaging outside runners when on song.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

Both need to work on their foot skills(Gram and Peake) and that will be a bonus. I hear from some training reports there is a lot of emphasis on skills at the moment.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

His finish in the B&F would suggest he is easily in the best 22.

I think there's a difference between the fans best 22 and the actual best 22.

So where to for Gram......wing or HBF...

bergsone
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:His finish in the B&F would suggest he is easily in the best 22.

I think there's a difference between the fans best 22 and the actual best 22.

So where to for Gram......wing or HBF...
Or Sandy ?

Stian
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:
PJ wrote:Pretty average 2011 but if he gets a full preseason and a bit of luck with injuries. One of our most attacking players but didn't find much joy in Lyon's game plan.
:D :D :D Dr S has a really dry humour with a great sense of the absurd. Could somebody who is a bit of a techhead put together a thread of Dr S quotes?

saint6709
Club Player

Not sure what happened to Grams kicking - used to be the go to man running through centre for 55 m bomb for goal - or the guy to handball to when 55 metres out and needing someone to kick it for you - ie Goddard now - now he seems to do these up and under lobs that have hospital written all over them - surley he can change back to his original style ??

St Lenny
Club Player

I think this change will be very good for Jason and expect to see him back to the player he use to be. I never understood why Ro$$ never felt the need to work on skills and it definately showed through the whole team as each year went by, our skills seemed to get worse, not just Grammy.

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

saint6709 wrote:Not sure what happened to Grams kicking - used to be the go to man running through centre for 55 m bomb for goal - or the guy to handball to when 55 metres out and needing someone to kick it for you - ie Goddard now - now he seems to do these up and under lobs that have hospital written all over them - surley he can change back to his original style ??
My guess is he lost confidance and injury both had a lot to do with that.

If Gram is 100% fit he is a very useful weapon off half back or on a wing. He will never be an in and under ball winner like some on here expect of him. Someone has to be there when the ball is dished out from the in and unders and Gram, Peake, Ledger and hopefully Winmar can be very handy in that regard next year

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

to me gram just look disinterested at times ... (im only going of what i saw on the TV so i could be way off the mark) attitude has a lot to do with it Bj and Roo both had bouts of poor form in 2011 but both seemed to try harder and harder in games to turn it around ... Gram seemed to just plod at the same rate and do the same thing over and over again (the bomb and hope kick) .... hopefully he gets that mojo back and that spring in his step because honnestly it didnt look like Gram was enjoying his footy last year ... could go a long way to returning to better form ....

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Marto hit on the nail on the head... where does this guy play

to be a running backman ur skills need to be superb

to be on the wing u need to be fit

to be a forward u need to be able to kick goals...

so where is his best position... what's his role?

perhaps concentrate as being a tagger that can hurt u on the rebound?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Has never been a good kick......a good driver is not someone who blasts the odd one 350 yards down the middle, 1 out of every 3 which is what he used to do......and whilst he kicked some memorable goals, he missed many more....

A very inconsistent kick.....and even his team mates bag his helicopters....he has a high drop, and does not settle in his kicking stride...

matrix
Saintsational Legend

new set of slippers for the gramster for xmas
hopefully a pair without butter on them 8-)

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Spot on Doc, with the Lovett case over it may be a huge relief to him, and with a more positive club in general he might benifit from the new environment.

I love this club
dragit
Saintsational Legend

I'd say his pay will be halved if he plays on after this year…

Agree with BM, has never been a consistently good kick, that's why he was a massive whipping boy when he first came to the saints.

That said, playing his best footy, he is still well and truly in our best 22.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

did he play that bad in 2011.......10th in the B&F would suggest otherwise...he missed 13 weeks in 2010 so that was a poor return, but last season many were worse

A thread on Farren Ray would be more appropriate IMO....who had a very poor year

dragit
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:did he play that bad in 2011.......10th in the B&F would suggest otherwise...he missed 13 weeks in 2010 so that was a poor return, but last season many were worse

A thread on Farren Ray would be more appropriate IMO....who had a very poor year
He wasn't our worst but…

Expectations are probably partly tied to what the player earns…

Gram will be on what 500K next year?, while Ray will probably be on half of that. 500K should put you in the best 5 players IMO.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

When he first made it into our senior squad it was because he was a long driving kick and quick across the ground. He was not always an accurate kick but when you had multiple forward targets like Roo, Kosi, Hamill and Gehrig it was less important to be accurate than it was to get the ball in quick. The last two years however he has noticably slowed so that initial blast of speed to break the lines is no longer there. He also appears to have changed how he kicks the ball into the forward line the long driving kick has gone and it more now an up and under kick putting the forward sunder pressure.

The other point is that when Roo is the only real target up forward delivery needs to be extremely accurate, out in front of him so Roo can use his pace to beat his opponent. When Roo has to stop and prop because of poor delivery he can get overwhelmed by physically stronger opponents.

The game has changed over the years to now where a greater emphasis is placed upon a players defensive capabilities unfortunately this is an are a where Gram will always struggle as he is not a naturally defensive player. His pressure on the man is not always great and neither is his tackling. If he can improve on these areas of his game he may be able to stop the young guys coming through overtaking him. If he can't I believe his days as a first team player are numbered.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

How do we accurately know his income???

Ray just resigned, how do we know his income??

Again.....the supporters view of Gram, and the coaches are not too close...

dragit
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:How do we accurately know his income???

Ray just resigned, how do we know his income??

Again.....the supporters view of Gram, and the coaches are not too close...
The coaches or list managers were trying to off load him… suggesting that he is not living up to his salary and/or he is on big coin which they were trying to free up.

We also know that Ray/Peake/Clarke/Dawson were asked to take contracts on reduced terms.

Without knowing for sure, I am pretty confident that Gram will earn a lot more than Ray next year, you may disagree.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote: Gram will be on what 500K next year?, while Ray will probably be on half of that. 500K should put you in the best 5 players IMO.
If that's true then we would be the biggest joke off-field imaginable

500k for Gram??? Even with a backended contract he's barely worth half of that... 300k tops

And Ray is not worth anymore than 200k tops based on form

jays
Club Player

should of tried to trade him imo

dragit
Saintsational Legend

jays wrote:should of tried to trade him imo
We did - no takers.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

He is still in our best 22 easily.

I'd like to see more of the level of games he plays in finals, he was one of our best v Swans....seems to be a big game player.